PDA

View Full Version : Update! Mountain People--It's Finished!!!

Fashmir
05-06-2006, 06:22 PM
I've been thinking about Africa quite a bit lately. Darfur in particular. These images of African animals are perhaps self-indulgent diversions into happier thoughts of Africa.

bleepnik
05-06-2006, 06:24 PM
Okay, so, I know it's a WIP, but there's something about this - perhaps the contrast between the black sketchy lines in the foreground and the, uh, "minty" background - that speaks to me as a finished piece. Probably silly, but I love it.

- Gita

AndyRage
05-06-2006, 06:58 PM
Y'know I was thinking similarly, Gita. (Welcome back to the forum!).
There's a pleasing element to the sketched lines over the very detailed background.
Breath bated again, I await the result!

waheednasir
05-06-2006, 07:31 PM
hello fashmir...nice palette, this is going to be really good im sure...:).

ENCHANTER
05-06-2006, 09:34 PM
i agree with above, the sketch pencil and mountains look like a finished piece :)....cant wait, :)

tony
05-07-2006, 03:23 AM
:) I too thought it was a finished painting, it is so well done. Like the rest of my colleagues can't wait to see what is coming next. Regards,Tony :)

Fashmir
05-07-2006, 12:27 PM
:D Thank you guys.

Blanusia
05-07-2006, 08:38 PM
Amazing artwork as always! You`re my hero!
By the way, my mom fell in love with your elephant :D

bleepnik
05-07-2006, 08:41 PM
That foreground foliage is just fenomenal. Ehem. I still have a soft spot in my heart for the sketchy outline, though. =]

- Gita

ENCHANTER
05-07-2006, 08:58 PM
...interesting...i thought you would have added the mist later?.........cant wait.....inspirational.....thanks for the w.i.p., :lol:

Fashmir
05-07-2006, 09:37 PM
I've given up keeping track of time. I must sleep now. :shock: Thanks for the responses.

Weeks
05-07-2006, 10:07 PM
Very nice and inspired my Friend...

A pure moment of pleasure for the eyes..

:wink:

One step above...

Weeks

AndyRage
05-07-2006, 10:46 PM
Glorious. That has so many levels of interest and detail. Wonderful!

sbug51
05-07-2006, 10:58 PM
HEY! i've been away for a long time i guess (though three days only!) thank you thank you thank you fashmir for the cool progress! i need this! amazing! again thank you!!! :D (they dont have an emoticon with a wider smile)

ENCHANTER
05-07-2006, 11:08 PM
that is gorgeous, i feel like im nearly here, cheers

:lol:

Fashmir
05-08-2006, 11:50 AM
Enchanter- I usually paint from far to near in traditional paints, and in digital I stick to that for the most part too. With layers though I can take liberties painting behind elements that are higher up in the layer stack. The mist is something I wanted to see in the middle ground and stronger sunlight as we come into the foreground. The mist you see is several layers like this: Mountain, layer of mist, hills at the distant left, layer of mist, hills at right, layer of mist, small middle ground foliage, layer of mist, near ground foliage, layer of mist. On like this till it feels right to my eyes. There will likely be more mist before I'm done. :wink:

Blanusia- I'm glad your mom likes the elephant. I get a smile from your enthusiasm. Thanks for that. :)

G- I might have to experiment with washes and pencil. I'm seeing what you are saying about the sketchy outline. There is often a serendipitous-zen-uber-luck thing that happens with sketches that gets destroyed by further work.

Weeks, AndyRage,sbug(welcome back & your're welcome :D ), Waheed, & Tony- Thanks for your comments and encouragement. I am warmed by it.

ENCHANTER
05-08-2006, 12:00 PM
THANKS FOR THE TALK THROUGH, helped me understand the process better :)

Fashmir
05-08-2006, 01:44 PM
More still... :)

ideo
05-08-2006, 04:08 PM
Wow!~ ..!!

bleepnik
05-08-2006, 05:02 PM
Wow is exactly right. On my monitor, those were just brown and black blobs in the foreground until you added faces. (I know, sad.) I look forward to being doubly impressed when I can actually see the work posted here properly. Still, what I *can* see is just magnificent, Fashmir. It's so nice to be reminded that such beautiful, humbling wilderness and life still exist in our world. Thanks for taking the time to recreate and share it with us.

- Gita

AndyRage
05-08-2006, 05:35 PM
Just so you know... I'm watching this thread with my jaw stuck to the floor. This is a phenomenal work.

Aged P
05-08-2006, 07:31 PM
After all that work, I just keep admiring the moss on the branches.
It just says damp and mist, slightly Everglades.

Also the huge mountain, the tone is so right.

I don't "not like" the rest, it's all wonderful!

Well done Fashmir, it is an education.

waheednasir
05-08-2006, 07:51 PM
fantasticaly done fashmir....:).

Art2
05-08-2006, 08:54 PM
Excellent WIP there Fashmir!

Pegasus
05-09-2006, 03:33 AM
Wonderful Work! and very inspiring to see the process and the explanations.

ENCHANTER
05-09-2006, 09:43 AM
wow!...

i also thought that the brown blob in front was going to be a rock, :oops:

the bird in the middle is beautiful and the motion off it flyng off ,

i know you got a bit more to do, this is going to be a classic artrage picture!

Fashmir
05-09-2006, 07:50 PM
No update at the moment. I had a busy work day and just got in late. Nice to see so many have enjoyed my efforts.

ideo- :D

G- You hit on it! I was driven while painting this by a feeling of being reminded to unplug and see, smell, and feel a misty morning in nature. To hear an insect perhaps far to my left and another nearer on my right. To feel the warmth of the new sun and the moisture that it calls up from the forest floor. To witness an egret choosing flight and to see what the gorillas are seeing. To hear my own heartbeat. That is the center of it for me.

Andy- Heh. Then you have an idea of how it is for me to paint in ArtRage. What a tool you've made for us. Thanks profoundly.

Aged P- Thanks for that. I have to say that for me the little stuff in a picture is alot of what does it for me too. I don't see tree branches anymore. I see an ecosystem. I see the moss and lichen and the myriad insects and plants they support, and all held above the ground by the magnificence of a tree. I get goosebumps. Forgive me. :D Thanks for you kind words.

Waheed- Praise from you, I take on one knee. Thanks so much for that.

Art2- My thanks.

Pegasus- I'm glad you enjoy it. I like seeing progressions like this myself, I'm glad to share.

ENCHANTER- I'm kind of fond of the snowy egret myself. Thanks for your enthusiasm.

Speaking of the brown blob. That reminds me of some of the work of John Seery-Lester. He paints wildlife and at times it is a startling moment when you see where a large animal is hidden in the image, lurking in the shadows or obscured by foliage.

Thanks again all of you. I'll post an update when I have one.

Weeks
05-10-2006, 01:13 AM
Fashmir,

A pure miracle..

Weeks

Echo
05-10-2006, 08:15 PM
All i can say is WOW! :shock:

Fashmir
05-11-2006, 07:34 PM
Hey all. I finally finished it. At least for now. This has been my bigest ArtRage effort thus far. A rewarding challenge for me. Thanks for all your comments and encouragement.

waheednasir
05-11-2006, 09:35 PM
this looks wonderful...a very good finish fashmir...:).

Weeks
05-11-2006, 09:37 PM
Hehe... :D

Weeks

cym
05-11-2006, 11:04 PM
I can't believe I actually have any resource to comment at all on such a work. These forums are still such a novelty for me. Fashmir, I am in awe of your creativity and talent. The lighter background and the detailed foreground are exceptional and a delight for the eye. The inhabitants richly detailed.

AndyRage
05-11-2006, 11:49 PM
Brilliant.
Astonishing.
Detailed, full of depth. Meaningful!
Well done!

sbug51
05-12-2006, 02:32 AM
the detail is just amazing! really amazing work fashmir as usual!

heikki
05-12-2006, 04:37 AM
:)

Hi, Fashmir or do i say David .

This work and process how you draw it, step by step is quite amazing.

What can say, you have skills on your finger and mind.

Thanks a lot that you show this process and result of it.

Br. Heikki.

:)

Aged P
05-12-2006, 05:44 AM
Absolutely great, my favourite area is still the tree branches and the light catching the ridges in the moss. Superb!

The chiaroscuro effect of the bright leaves in the bottom right hand corner is a little masterpiece in it's own right.

hype
05-12-2006, 06:29 AM
i agree with cym, i have no business judging this. spectacular.

thank you. that's really all you can say to a great artist. thanks for sharing it and giving us the pleasure of being taken inside your head, if only for a moment. :D

ENCHANTER
05-12-2006, 07:56 AM
this must be my third WOW.. :lol:

its brilliant Fashmir,

worth the wait!

amazing detail , the fur...the face...the hanging moss on the trees...

hope to reach your standard!

Erika_PLJ
05-12-2006, 12:38 PM
I have to say that has to be one of the most gorgeous things I've seen. First off I can't imagine the work that went into making the brilliant background image but the gorillas are just stunning and the tree branches and light - WOW!

Brillint job! Thank you for the step by step shots, it was thrilling viewing the work in progress :)

bleepnik
05-12-2006, 03:43 PM
*cough*
*splutter*
How--
But--
Oh muh gaw--

Obviously, I don't have the words.

- Gita, whose jaw is right down there, next to Andy's.

kazaroval
05-12-2006, 11:25 PM
Really niceee

Jules
05-13-2006, 05:06 AM
Good grief im gobsmacked, the detail is excellent :shock: 8) You are very talented Fashmir.

tony
05-13-2006, 05:26 AM
:) Fashmir, wow what a nice piece of art work, the finishing touches are simply brilliant, you can almost hear the jungle cries and noises in the background.Regards,Tony :)

maror
05-13-2006, 05:36 AM
:shock:
wohaaaa
the foliage in the foreground is brilliant especially the nice translucent effects.
and the hairs are also really exciting!

greez

Blanusia
05-13-2006, 10:13 AM
I can`t believe my eyes... Am I looking at the painting or real animals?? Fashmir, you`re a genius, you made every detail look so realistic, so "alive"! My congratulations!

eminsayin
05-13-2006, 10:28 AM
yes I like your painting s last version too much..I had spent hours but this is very nice

bearblue1
05-13-2006, 10:54 AM
Beautiful.

I keep struggling between the desire for instant gratification and patience with art. Your work reminds me of the value of patience.

Gorgeous!

Fashmir
05-14-2006, 07:47 PM
Thank you all so very much for your response to my efforts. I have not posted much in the last few days due to exhaustion and too much to do. I did take the time to make a little something for you guys that might be kind of fun to see. I took all my stages of the progression and made a video that fades from one to the next through the progression of images to the finish. You can view that here:
http://www.vismag.com/Forum_Posts/Mountain_People_Progression/Mountain%20People%20Progression.html

Hopefully my energy will kick back in and I can start posting some new stuff soon.

Thanks again for your friendly support.

[Edit] Fixed the link.

Aged P
05-14-2006, 08:19 PM
Hi Fashmir,

I just walked past the TV and caught Tommy Lee Jones picking damp moss off a branch in a forest. It was spookily familiar. I checked the listings and he was in Oregon!

For me your moss is better!

Relax and heal.
Almost nothing in life is important, and absolutely nothing is very important.

ENCHANTER
05-14-2006, 10:24 PM
Hey, Fashmir, just saw your movie,

thanks for that, i saw how you changed and moved things around, very interesting, to get to the finished piece

and i saw your website!

WOW!, WOW! :lol:

the trading cards were brilliant, your sketches were amazing and your 3d stuff as well,

by the way, your forum name doesnt happen to be from a fantasy story written by a guy called David Eddings?

Enchanter

cym
05-14-2006, 11:27 PM
No wonder you are exhausted, you are very prolific with your art...and that would be one thing if they were just some random sketches, but you usually give us full blown wonderful works. (Suitable for framing :wink: )
I enjoyed the video, thanks for taking the time to make it.

Jules
05-15-2006, 12:28 AM
That is a great movie, love watching the layers build up. You obviously spent many hours completing this. 8)

bleepnik
05-15-2006, 04:28 PM
Oh wow. That was like an infomercial for miracle-gro! Although you kept us updated on your progress, seeing the evolution of the image animated was just amazing. I had fun watching your signature move around and change in opacity and size. =] My favourite bit was watching the elements of the image just *pop* when you added the highlights. Wow. I mean, just, wow.

Thanks for sharing, Fashmir.

- Gita

Marvolo
06-02-2006, 09:16 PM
Hey Unca D. i really like that you have the video of how you did it. Its an awesome pic, well done im so exsided to get art rage soon :D

~Marvolo~

Fashmir
06-02-2006, 09:52 PM
Aged P- Hey Phil, thanks for the nice comments on my moss. I truly love living in a moss covered area of the world. I love the rainforests of Washington state especially for their carpets of the stuff.

ENCHANTER- I'm glad you liked the progression movie. I have enjoyed setting those up with my more lengthy efforts. It's kind of fun to watch it grow in front of your eyes. :) I'm glad you took the time to visit my website. I had fun with some of that stuff on there. I tend to like the 2D stuff more that my 3D. Maybe that because I enjoy creating it more. My forum name... No not from David Eddings although years back I did read the Belgariad, great fantasy author. I actually came up with that name all on my own. There's a bit of a story to go with that but I'd like to save that for later, I'm getting sleepy and I must rise for a work day in about 4.5 hours. :shock:

cym- Thanks so much for your kind words. I'm glad you enjoyed the video.

Jules- Thanks for commenting. Yes I did spend quite a bit of time on this. I alway intend to measure the time better than I end up actually doing. I hope to see more of you on the forums.

G- It's always a pleasure to get words from you. Miricle-gro... :lol: Isn't that fun to watch the painting back like that. I'm glad you enjoyed it too. I'll do that with the Mantis too.

Marvolo- Hey sweetie! Yay you joined the forum! Hey everyone, I am pleased to introduce my niece (who shall be known as Marvolo until she says otherwise) 8) . The daughter of my older brother she is a burgeoning artist herself. She's also a bit of a multimedia supa-freak. For example my homework assignments were typically handed in on lined paper with bent up edges and doodles in the margins (of course that *was* about 25 years ago). *Her* stuff is done in poweroint and is a complete audio visual treat for the senses. She makes me proud and at the moment I'm grinning from ear to ear. I can't wait to see her bust out in ArtRage. Welcome to the forums my sweet. I'm glad you're here. :D

akita96th
06-02-2006, 11:43 PM
These paintings are fantastic.. hard to believe art this beautiful can be made on a computer....But there it is....

Marvolo
06-03-2006, 05:35 AM
Thanks uncle dave :D

Adam Black
12-09-2006, 10:19 AM
Just found this thread, and gotta say: wow.

Too bad the progression vid's gone, though. :(

Fashmir
03-12-2007, 07:15 PM
Hey all, I just fixed the link to the progression movie. You can click it here too.

http://www.vismag.com/Forum_Posts/Mountain_People_Progression/Mountain%20People%20Progression.html

Lee
03-13-2007, 12:12 PM
Dear Fashmir,,um, urk, dah, ,,,like lots,,, no words,,

Fashmir
03-14-2007, 05:43 AM
Lee- That is exactly how I felt the first time I saw a gorilla. I couldn't have been more than three or four and here was this great big person-like being. I just stared. My parents had to drag me away.

Adam Black
03-15-2007, 11:00 AM
Hey all, I just fixed the link to the progression movie.

Woo hoo! Thank you, sir! :D

tinzo
04-14-2007, 12:47 AM
Hi Fashmir, this is a wonderful window on how you work, I loved watching this painting develope. Wow, the idea of making a video of it was awesome my friend and beautifully done.

Your obviously more computer savvy than I am, but you've certainly given me pause for though for a future project, thanks for the inspiration Fash. :D

D Akey
04-14-2007, 07:35 AM
Excellent Fashmir!!!

Good everything.

WolfNinja
04-23-2007, 08:39 AM
Wowsa, I want a print of that!