PDA

View Full Version : Oakshios WIP book - Current Project - BMW 335i - Update 12/15/2015



Oakshios
08-13-2015, 10:43 PM
8/13/2015
I am creating this thread as a holding place/journal for my projects and time spent with Artrage and Art in general. I have not started any works since about 2012. What the hell have I been doing with myself?! I hope this thread will provide me a way to stay focused and a place to look back to when in need of some internal motivation.

My first start to finish project in Artrage, completed in 2012.
WIP thread: https://forums.artrage.com/showthread.php?38375-Storm-Setting-WIP
Completed: https://forums.artrage.com/showthread.php?38616-Storm-is-setting

My newest project is a life-like reproduction of a photo taken, featuring my brother's BMW 335i. I have always wanted to draw vehicles but have never seriously taken the time to learn the concepts and shapes that help create them. For my first attempt I am creating an 18" x 24" 300dpi oil painting of the car. My intention with this piece is to print, frame and gift this to my brother when it is complete.

Since I am not familiar with oil painting traditionally, let alone digitally, I am going to trace this piece. I hope that I am able to familiarize myself with the oil brushes and how they blend. I am also going to focus on using layers more. I have not used layers extensively in the past and would like to get in the habit of using them. I am also interested in experimenting with the different blending options related to layers. I look forward to gaining a better grasp of the different tools and features afforded to me and hope to gain enough insight to provide efficiency and optimal technique in future works.

Since I decided to create this thread after I had already started this project, the first photos are about 8-10 hours into the work.

P.S. Don't hesitate to ask for a closer shot, if there is something particular you would like a closer look at.


BMW 335i
Original photo:
87218

WIP photos:
87219

87220

87223
These are Avant Garde wheels and a focal point of this car. I spent most of my time, to this point on them. I am happy with how they have turned out so far.

87221
I went back and forth trying to decide how I was going to handle the asphalt. I basically split it into thirds. One being a small stipple effect. Another being short smaller brush strokes. The last being large impressionistic strokes. After having my wife select her favorite one (stipple), I also felt the need to take the time and create the stipple effect in order to stay with the realistic style I am going for. This was a veeery tedious activity to accomplish. I am happy with how it is looking so far and am glad I chose this route.

I have put roughly 20 hours into this piece up to this point.

8/24/2015
Still going on this project. Have done some more work with the tire. My day job has been keeping me out of town and I do not have a way to take my devices with me on the road. Will update soon with an image or two.

12/6/2015
Thanks for the comments! I have continued again on this piece. Completed the tire and have begun on the brakes.
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5783/23496574681_826619772f_b.jpg

12/7/2015
More rotor work.
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/702/23575874686_5a0b3d0436_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/BVjwb3)

12/10/2015
Completed the rotor. Wheel assembly has been completed now. On to the body we go. Started the second pass on with the front bumper. I have actually done the close-up section of the bumper 2 1/2 times. I had initially started with horizontal strokes and testing of some blending techniques before changing to vertical strokes and then back to horizontal. I was not happy with the look of both the strokes and the blending I was achieving. The blend was too wet or too dry and I was unable to find a happy middle ground. Will continue to practice different blending techniques as I paint. Most likely with just a light hand and less loading of the brush (how I did the blending on the wheel assembly). Anyway, here are some pics of the progress to date.
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/632/23666534625_d8dda06bf7_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/C4kbdr)

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/710/23557984032_722b148ab5_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/BTJPUu)

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5809/23666534565_02e7e93574_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/C4kbcp)

12/13/2015
Still chugging along on this. Pretty boring shading stuff but it's got to be done if it is ever going to get painted. I had started the body work with a brush size much smaller than I think I wanted. I think I can salvage the parts already done and blend the transition from the smaller size to the larger size (not a big difference in size really, considering the overall canvas size).
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5643/23654426531_d02f627d26_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/C3g7Uc)

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/568/23654426441_23f62acb39_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/C3g7SD)

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5682/23108616054_fb9ab5ef6a_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/Bd2GsJ)

12/15/2015
Finally figured out a way to blend that I am liking. I use the oil brush with 1-5% loading with about 90% thinner. I like the brush to grab some of that color. Anyway, continued across the front bumper a bit. Sometimes I wish I had not chosen quite the level of detail I did. I will see this through. ha ha.
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5709/23415318449_847671ca8c_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/BF8Cp4)

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/579/23155096734_35463b8f2e_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/Bh8VxL)

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5783/23757149006_42be2896e9_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/CckAHm)

rbrews100
08-19-2015, 01:19 AM
Amazing, the effect on the tarmac looks so realistic and the headlight and wheel are so photographic. I feel that your quest for realism is working well, can't wait to see the finished Beamer...

Oakshios
12-11-2015, 05:25 PM
Thank you for the comments!