PDA

View Full Version : Introducing Myself: A collection of my ArtRage paintings over the last 5 years

huxtiblejones
07-25-2015, 04:42 PM
Hi there! My name is Cayce Goldberg, I'm a digital painter from Denver, CO. I wanted to share some of my paintings I've created in ArtRage over the last few years.

I've been a digital painter for over 10 years but only started using ArtRage in 2010. I bounce between it and Photoshop and always try to use them as extensions of the traditional painter's toolbox (by which I mean that I like my paintings to look as traditional as possible). I follow a pretty basic process that I was taught in college - drawing, underpainting, blocking in, refining. I never color sample or trace images, but rather try to paint by observation.

More of my work is available at www.caycegoldberg.com.

Here's my ArtRage gallery: https://members.artrage.com/gallery_categories/1163

I'm also the gallery director at Helikon Gallery & Studios in Denver, CO. You can check out our gallery at www.helikongallery.com.

Let me know if you have any questions, thanks for looking!

Rondo
07-25-2015, 05:06 PM
I just can say that i'm "stunned"!!!and that is a understatement !!!!!but the other side....you painting for +- 10 years.....it is showing;)

huxtiblejones
07-25-2015, 05:52 PM
I just cab say that i'm "stunned"!!!and that is a understatement !!!!!but the other side....you painting for +- 10 years.....it is showing;)

Thanks so much! I do hold a BFA in Illustration from the Rocky Mountain College of Art + Design in Colorado. I always loved art as a kid, but never got very good until I started focusing on it as a profession. I think with the right instruction and a lot of hard work, just about anyone can become an expert!

Mendota
07-26-2015, 07:35 AM
I really admire your work. It is always gratifying when a traditional artists takes up digital art, they bring so much to the table. I too started with traditional when I was still an child, but soon came computers and I have been there every since. I love the endless possibilities but I admit I am spoiled. Work such as yours reminds me of the real discipline in painting.

damasocl
07-26-2015, 09:43 AM
I agree with Mendota:
Your works are stunnings!

pat1940
07-26-2015, 10:49 AM
Thanks for showing these fantastic pieces of your work, hope to see much more in this gallery, all so beautiful to view

justjean
07-26-2015, 12:59 PM
Wonderful paintings and wonderful colours :)

D Akey
07-27-2015, 02:59 PM
Wonderful wonderful! Love these! Can't wait to see more.

And Welcome!

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::):):):):):cool::coo l::cool::cool::cool:

Caesar
07-27-2015, 07:29 PM
I love the mastery and variety of Your paintings. Not a unique style, apparenty, but all of them are painted delightfully!:eek::cool: The last two are really outstanding IMO and show a style You could further elaborate on.;):D:D:D

rbrews100
07-28-2015, 05:07 AM
These images are stunning and have the wow factor. Each different but beautiful in their own way

AndreaMG
07-28-2015, 05:26 AM
Nice works!!

cartuneman
07-31-2015, 08:33 AM
coolness really nice work!!!!

byroncallas
08-02-2015, 02:38 AM
Agreeing with everyone. Wonderful work. Thanks for posting them for us all to see. All of your work in your links a pleasure to be with.

huxtiblejones
08-17-2015, 03:47 AM
Wow! Thanks for all the kind words, everybody. I appreciate you all taking the time to look at my stuff. I'll continue to update this in the future as I do some more paintings.

Orkhan
08-21-2015, 07:07 AM
Double wow! That black cat on the red chair got a touch of Rubens in his glance. I realy love it. I'll stay for more.

huxtiblejones
03-06-2016, 09:28 PM
Hey everyone! Long time no talk. I've got some new ArtRage paintings to share!

I painted the James Dean one most recently, based it off a photo where he had an eyepatch. The color scheme is an homage to one of NC Wyeth's Treasure Island painting, I was feeling the pirate vibe.

The others are life paintings from a 3 hour session I host every week. I have some others too, I'll post them up when I have my laptop.

Also pretty excited to be teaching my first ever workshop in September, an intro to digital painting using ArtRage! I'm looking forward to the challenge, I think it's one of the more intuitive digital painting programs out there.

And finally, shameless plug for an exhibit I'm hosting in Denver. 'Pixel Palette' is a group show we're hosting right now at Helikon Gallery, if you wanna check it out you can go to www.helikongallery.com or check out www.instagram.com/helikongallery. It's been awesome having a chance to expose people to digital painting as a fine art medium. One of the beautiful things about digital painting is the affordability, it helps put art in people's homes, where it belongs! It's really emboldened by view on digital painting, I encourage all of you to keep painting into the future! I'm crossing my fingers for some 3D printed digital paintings...

pat1940
03-08-2016, 06:15 AM
These are wonderful painting, glad you are back, stick around ok

D Akey
03-08-2016, 07:34 AM
Yeah, great technique. Quick and to the point perfectly.

Caesar
03-08-2016, 09:21 PM
Very professional sketching indeed! I like Your studies. Bravo!

YoannLori
03-09-2016, 02:08 AM
Really great paintings you've got here. Love the brushstrokes !
Congrats for the workshop !!!

scribbledsoul
03-09-2016, 02:28 AM
Lovely work! I love the variety of styles, and they all have an expressiveness that is very unique and pleasing to the eye. So glad that you decided to share them! :)

huxtiblejones
03-09-2016, 05:11 PM
Thanks for the kind words everybody! I'm back on my laptop and have some older life paintings I didn't share. They're not all winners, but I think you can learn just as much from failing as succeeding.

byroncallas
03-09-2016, 08:43 PM
Catching up with your thread: Terrific work. Inspired.

Caesar
03-09-2016, 09:52 PM
Once more You fixed fantastically natural poses with apparently few, masterful brushstrokes. Each of them suggest a possible comfortable and glorious finishing whenever You wish to go on. Excellent!

gxhpainter2
03-10-2016, 06:37 AM
wow so glad this thread came back to life, love these and it is correct to say we can learn and get inspiration even from somewhat lesser works..:cool::cool::cool:

huxtiblejones
03-21-2016, 07:12 AM
Hi everybody, thanks again for checking out my work and leaving such nice comments. Here's another 3 hour life painting from last night, oil paint / palette knife on smooth paper. Tried to focus mainly on getting good skin tones that don't feel flat and dead. Also trying to get better about controlling where I put my brightest and darkest colors.

Higher resolution: http://i.imgur.com/QqeCoAX.png

You know, I've also got a lot of ArtRage scripts I should upload one of these days. I love being able to record a painting and watch it back later, I've sometimes had epiphanies about my process that way.

D Akey
03-21-2016, 08:15 AM
Just think. When everybody switches to digital in these studio situations, nobody is going to leave with black conté crayon and charcoal powder on their thighs. No smell of turpentine. All clean as a whistle. I was thinking to sell incense that smelled of turps just to turn back the clock a little ways.

Well, the paintings still hold the timed-pose energy just fine. And that's the main thing -- keeping the hand-eye connection up to scratch and speedy. All looking great. Choosing the right marks all the way.

Caesar
03-21-2016, 09:49 PM
Glad to seee one more from You! I like it too.

burgzaza
03-22-2016, 03:29 AM
Fantastic work.
I'm particulary loving the dramatic light you put on some of the paintings, stunning !

pat1940
03-22-2016, 03:41 AM
These are great paintings, like all of them and hope to see more

huxtiblejones
08-22-2016, 06:05 AM
Hey everyone! Back after a hiatus. I've been working mostly in Photoshop lately, you can see my most recent paintings there at www.caycegoldberg.com.

Did a life painting session last night, 3 hours. Had a lot of fun with it, but the legs totally defeated me. It was a super challenging pose! Ah well, there's always next week. My technique on this one was to paint from dark to light, so everything started out very dark and I gradually added lighter and lighter tones.

High resolution image here: http://i.imgur.com/Gadbcqh.png

D Akey
08-22-2016, 07:09 PM
Nice technique. I visited your site with your portfolio. Really nice selection of what to paint. Gives it a very interesting vibe -- something not seen too often. But the structure is always sound. Cool.