PDA

View Full Version : Sticker brush complimentary shadows

Boxy
07-18-2015, 09:27 PM
Someone must have played with this before, but I was just messing about with a sticker brush and came across the shadow colour. Hmm, I thought, you can save a preset brush and store its current colour, but also its shadow colour. Therefore you could make a set of brushes with certain colour schemes built in, for e.g. complimentary shadows. So rather than having a single colour wash underpainting, each major colour group you use could have its own complimentary underpainting on the fly which could lead to some interesting effects.
Here's a test sheet:

I like it. Is there no end to your genius ArtRage? :)
Cheers

Rondo
07-21-2015, 09:01 AM
"Is there no end to your genius ArtRage?"

Artrage give you the tools.
Your brain and creativity giving you the opportunity to become "the genius" ;)

HannahRage
07-21-2015, 02:41 PM
*smacks forehead* drop shadows! I knew there was a way to do that.

Boxy, thank you, you're a genius.

Bobbi
07-22-2015, 07:51 AM
Thank you for sharing your discovery. It is use of Art Rage tools like this that get the creative juices flowing. :)

Rondo
07-25-2015, 05:59 PM
i did some test with "shadowcolor" on a stencil and perspective ;)
But i think i'm on a different "canvas" .......?

Boxy
07-25-2015, 09:18 PM
good one Rondo. :D
Bobby and Hannah, the shadows have been staring us in the face all this time but I never actually thought to play with the settings. I'm sure we'll find so many other ways to use this. :)

Fashmir
07-27-2015, 01:37 PM
Ah you clever lads!!!

Boxy
07-27-2015, 08:30 PM
Ha! Too much time on out hands Kashmir. :D
I think there could be some interesting uses, for example the blue with orange shadows could be adapted to make tinged clouds at sunset/sunrise, or maybe with the right textured brush, a skin shader with built in sub surface scattering and shadow type effects...
Cheers

HannahRage
07-27-2015, 09:45 PM
Well, now you've mentioned those ideas, you have to do them. That's how brainstorming works (also I want more tutorials on everything).

Boxy
07-28-2015, 06:42 PM
Ha! Once I've figured out exactly how, that sounds like a good idea. :D

Boxy
07-28-2015, 08:45 PM
Starting at the beginning. It may also be worth playing with the idea of adding some gloss via sticker sheets. Can't quite remember how to do that at the moment, though I'm sure there was a good tut by someonesane somewhere. :D

Boxy
07-28-2015, 09:55 PM
This one attempts to add some pore like texture with a gloss channel in the sticker sheet and reddish shadows

Boxy
07-29-2015, 12:04 AM
Another quick early tester. For backlit cloud effect, a negative Y Position in the shadow setting makes light look like it is coming from above, while a positive Y looks as though light comes from below.

Boxy
07-29-2015, 02:26 AM
Here's another base cloud using the shadows as er, shadows. Some highlights and shade blending were done simply by switching off shadows and picking colours but all in all these early efforts only took a couple of minutes so with a little effort they could be worked up to decent looking clouds! I guess blending might also be done with the watercolour water only brush or good old palette knife. Back to the skin shader, feel free to chime in if these are giving anyone any ideas :D

cripster
07-29-2015, 01:18 PM
Here's another base cloud using the shadows as er, shadows. Some highlights and shade blending were done simply by switching off shadows and picking colours but all in all these early efforts only took a couple of minutes so with a little effort they could be worked up to decent looking clouds! I guess blending might also be done with the watercolour water only brush or good old palette knife. Back to the skin shader, feel free to chime in if these are giving anyone any ideas :D

I'm not good at art like doing landscape and people ill spend hours trying with no luck so I go back to doing abstract things but don't think they are good enough to post :) or I'll trace something and add my own style.

Boxy
07-30-2015, 12:10 AM
Doesn't matter what we do or how we do it Graham, making the effort to be creative is the important thing for me. :D
Cheers

cripster
07-30-2015, 01:08 AM
Doesn't matter what we do or how we do it Graham, making the effort to be creative is the important thing for me. :D
Cheers

Your so right :) thanks again for the pm reply

Boxy
07-31-2015, 08:13 PM
No worries Graham. :)

Here's a brush which uses a detailed skin sample to get some fine wrinkle texture. Playing with Spray Rate and toggling Autoflow control how quickly the samples are emitted and therefore how dense the pattern is.

Boxy
07-31-2015, 10:06 PM
Oops, silly oaf, the stencil is the wrong way round. I could go back and reverse the sticker's colour png, but actually this reversed skin makes quite a nice foundation texture. If I then change the shadow colour to a very light skin (or switch it off), reduce the spray rate and pick a dark colour to paint with, I can then paint over that base layer to correct the appearance of the crevices.

Boxy
08-01-2015, 12:40 AM
And another image with shadow brushes. Skin 6 added a greyscale png to the Texture channel of a sticker, but I think that would need blurring a little as it appears too rough.
The skin pores sample is one stroke, starting with light pressure from the left, max pressure in the centre and tailing off again.

I could go on... oh wait I did go on! :) I will stop now, suffice to say the shadow feature is darned useful, can't believe I didn't play with this before now!

markw
08-01-2015, 01:47 AM
Hello Boxy,
This is all most interesting work you're doing here. Do keep posting!
If I might comment on the cloud settings you posted earlier, perhaps adding a small a mount of random Luminance, Alpha and Offset would enhance them still further?

Boxy
08-01-2015, 07:16 PM
Ha, thanks Mark!
Ah yes good idea, I'll play with your suggestions, that does sound like a good direction.

In the meantime please feel free to mess yourself if you have the inclination, I've (hopefully) prepared a base cloud example arpack file to download here (http://boxy.co.uk/uploads/CloudBaseSav.zip)

I eventually intend to upload any useful brushes to the resources section so the more input the better. I think the base sticker samples could be improved on too but haven't hit on the right thing yet. I feel the edges are a bit soft currently and want some of that random raggedness clouds get around the edges. Perhaps I should try extracting bits from photos next...
Thanks for your feedback anyway.
Sav

Boxy
08-02-2015, 04:06 AM
Meanwhile here's a fine wrinkle skin brush showing how the different shadow colours effect the end result.

jmac
08-02-2015, 05:07 AM
Boxy this is very cool stuff! I have looked at the shadow feature as more a curiosity that wouldn't have any meaningful application and never looked "under the hood" the way you are doing. It's like watching a new scientific discovery unfold. Very well done and thank you for revealing the great potential this feature can hold!

Boxy
08-02-2015, 09:05 PM
Ha, thanks jmac. Who knew! It does have limitations but still, could be useful for rapid first pass. I think my fave so far is the simplest, just using shadows to emulate localised underpainting. Light shadows under dark paint works quite nicely.
Cheers

Boxy
08-04-2015, 08:47 PM
Getting closer with ragged edges. Same cloud with and without shadow.
The clouds will always need to be tweaked, but for a first pass, about 10 strokes in maybe 20 seconds, it could be useful. I think the source png sample could be improved further too though. Click on image for full size view.

Boxy
08-06-2015, 08:23 PM
Shadow radius controls the softness of the shadow, lower settings giving hard shadow, higher giving soft. I think the harder shadows could be useful for some impressionist brush type effects.

Bobbi
08-29-2015, 06:14 AM
I hope you realize what you have started. :P Just have to play, play, play with this whole idea.

Boxy
08-29-2015, 07:50 AM
Good one, please do post your results. :)

hildee
09-04-2015, 12:37 AM
Great tip! Thank you.

Boxy
09-04-2015, 06:52 PM
Thanks Hildee. :)