PDA

View Full Version : woodland Elf a beginning...

cartuneman
06-23-2015, 12:15 PM
I intend on creating more to this picture but this is a start. I can see a large view of an etherial wooded scene with this lil guy carrying a bag of light fairys and yet they are escaping through a small hole in his bag. hehe in his other hand is walking staff that holds untold magic and in the dimly lit Back ground maybe you will see a unicorn or some other vivid link to the elfs world.

Enug
06-23-2015, 02:08 PM
I had a look at the larger view and you have such a lot of interesting textures in your brushstrokes - are you using different layer textures to get that effect? I love his face - looks too innocent to be capturing fairies. Looking forward to seeing this painting develop.

eighty+
06-23-2015, 02:46 PM
Hi Catmandu looks great can't wait to see the FINN ok CIAO IVAYA CON DIOS SLAINTE ............POZDRAWSKI

cartuneman
06-23-2015, 05:06 PM
I had a look at the larger view and you have such a lot of interesting textures in your brushstrokes - are you using different layer textures to get that effect? I love his face - looks too innocent to be capturing fairies. Looking forward to seeing this painting develop.

Glad you like the Beginning. It is going to take some time to finish . The different textures are from a mix of tools and heavy over paint. I love working with lots of paint. to achieve what I have so far is the use of the paint tube for laying down my paint over my sketch. then I use brush, the knife, roller and airbrush. I also like using the marker to add detail over the paint and then I brush it into the existing paint. It all seems to work for me. Dose it look funny or something I'm curious. But anyway the rest of this project will be filled with eye candy. like trees with faces a smoking frog and other lil delights to look at. I hope I can pull this off. lol

cartuneman
06-23-2015, 05:08 PM
Hi Catmandu looks great can't wait to see the FINN ok CIAO IVAYA CON DIOS SLAINTE ............POZDRAWSKI

thanks sir I hope I can give you a piece to enjoy!

Enug
06-23-2015, 06:30 PM
. Dose it look funny or something I'm curious.

No, it doesn't look funny - I really like the effect of the different textures of the paint and I wondered how you achieved it. :)

D Akey
06-24-2015, 12:49 AM
And this wee elf is on summer vacation now, a great time to be an elf.

I look forward to seeing where you take it. Go Man go!!!!!!!!

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::):):):):):cool::coo l::cool::cool::cool:

cartuneman
06-24-2015, 12:31 PM
omg thank you Mr D. I will

Caesar
06-24-2015, 08:20 PM
As we use to say (more or less as translated in English) "who starts (begins) well (the right way) is already halfway through with the work" ... and You really are indeed, even more than halfway, to another marvel.

cartuneman
06-25-2015, 06:08 AM
As we use to say (more or less as translated in English) "who starts (begins) well (the right way) is already halfway through with the work" ... and You really are indeed, even more than halfway, to another marvel.

thank you Caesar, I am working on the enchanted forest right now I will post some of it as I go along. there is tons to this...

cartuneman
06-25-2015, 08:35 AM
Hi friends yes I been busy drawing up the Back ground and getting started on it. her is a snip-it of the BG the whole painting is 20x36 large even by my standards lol but I wanted this to be fun. there will so much to see when I'm done...I hope lol. I put faces on the trees and will have a frog smoking a pipe by a pond a small waterfall and more whew I hope I can do this?! I have a long way to go so much detail and smoothing and color and OMG Leaves!

Enug
06-25-2015, 01:18 PM
There is already so much to see in the tangle of leaves and vines - what a wonderful imagination!

Caesar
06-25-2015, 07:12 PM
What wonderful places You've got in Your mind to share with us with Your art!:eek::cool: Superlative scenario. i hope a smoking frog will not infringe some fun policy somewhere to keep kids "protected" ...:o;)LOL

cartuneman
06-26-2015, 02:01 AM
What wonderful places You've got in Your mind to share with us with Your art!:eek::cool: Superlative scenario. i hope a smoking frog will not infringe some fun policy somewhere to keep kids "protected" ...:o;)LOL

No....lol he's just smoking a pipe lol

D Akey
06-27-2015, 01:12 AM
What a curious tree. Looks like it could be anything from a spirit or an appetite waiting to just snap you up like a venus fly trap or frog. Tolkien alluded to such creatures that would snatch people and pull them under deep into the roots. I think that if we're crafty enough and approach it right, we might be able to discover his secrets. . .

Or is he more like one of those wise forest green guy kinds who keep the forest going?

Anyway, very nice.

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::):):):):):cool::coo l::cool::cool::cool:

cartuneman
06-29-2015, 12:38 PM

Comments???

Arthropodart
06-29-2015, 08:01 PM
The portrait of the elf is really beautiful in its own right.
As is the landscape with the pipe-smoking frog (which is really cool by the way).
Another character could (emphasis on could) be redundant. I really like all the empty space in the scene, it
adds to the sense of calmness and depth of the image.
To me they are two separate, self standing, beautiful paintings.
If you decide to merge them do save copies of them as they are now because they are really something.

cartuneman
06-30-2015, 04:02 PM
The portrait of the elf is really beautiful in its own right.
As is the landscape with the pipe-smoking frog (which is really cool by the way).
Another character could (emphasis on could) be redundant. I really like all the empty space in the scene, it
adds to the sense of calmness and depth of the image.
To me they are two separate, self standing, beautiful paintings.
If you decide to merge them do save copies of them as they are now because they are really something.

Thank you Arthropodart for the very nice comment I do intend on keeping copies of them separate. if the woodland elf dose not work in the scene I probably won't put him in there but we'll see lol ;)

Caesar
07-01-2015, 12:50 AM
Your scenario gets wider and wider as well as more and more gorgeous while Your smoking frog is dwarved. Now I wonder where Your starting Elf will eventually appear and if You will provide a zoomed-in circular area into which we may spot him! LOL:o:cool:;):D:D:D:D:D

cartuneman
07-01-2015, 04:26 PM
I worked on the elf this evening so here he is finished

D Akey
07-03-2015, 03:59 AM
A junior G(reen) Man! Love the idea of the grass shirt being kind of like mohair. Very clever. Washing it would probably be best without using soap. I think it says that on the tag in the collar. "Sprinkle with cool water. No soap."

Great stuff going along. So are you creating a series theme? Looks certainly like you would never run out of material. Just wait for him to take a vacation in Hawaii. He'll go wild for the grass skirt girls.
Very cool stuff.

:):):):):):cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::):):):):)

Caesar
07-03-2015, 06:59 PM
OK, we've got this aweful scenario and these jolly characters, now You just have to start the music and songs and the opera may start! Excellent creation!:eek::cool:

cartuneman
07-04-2015, 08:46 AM
I hope you all like it ? Which one do you all like I'll let you decide the outcome of this one....

no. 1. has lighting effects and other stuff like smoke from the frogs pipe and sparkels in the water and stuff the second one has none of that. and no elf either.

jmac
07-04-2015, 11:21 AM
I like the color of the 2nd one but the inclusion of the elf in the 1st one.

justjean
07-04-2015, 02:19 PM
I think the first is wonderful, the colour makes it much more dark and mysterious :D

Enug
07-04-2015, 05:58 PM
These are my humble thoughts. :) I'm wondering if the elf is too large in relation to the animal/deer? Also his shade of green doesn't fit well with the rest of the green tones in that version. I prefer the rays of light but without the sparkles. While the colour in both versions suit the subject, my personal preference is the 2nd because I like the blue shades included in the painting.

I must admit you fooled me with that grassy mound - I was sure you were saving that space for water. It is all very lovely and I am mesmerised with all the detail of different grasses, leaves, etc.

pat1940
07-06-2015, 04:48 AM
Both are so impressive and wonderful painting, really like both, had a hard time deciding but chose the green, always love your work John

Caesar
07-06-2015, 08:00 PM
I find the second one more "refreshing", although the first one has got the magic of the so called "golden hour" and looks a little more "dazzling" here and there. As for the Elf, in particular, but maybe all the figures i guess, i would look for some AR ready-made tricks (i.e. selective multiplying or complementary color transpareny overlay maybe) to increase the contrast, but also appropriately using the traditional dark against light an viceversa as for the figures against what is behind them would work.
Anyway I cannot but admire in awe what magnificence You set up!:eek::cool: