PDA

View Full Version : the Colt

gxhpainter2
06-08-2015, 07:13 AM
an impressionistic view of a young colt and his mother feeding peacefully... hope you enjoy this effort.

Enug
06-08-2015, 01:31 PM
I'm loving this new direction Garry - not saying I didn't appreciate the more abstract style but now I don't have to work so hard to see the 'message'. ;):cool::cool:

justjean
06-08-2015, 06:51 PM
Gary, :):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):)

Marilyn Anne
06-09-2015, 12:54 AM
I love impressionism and the subject is so dear. I got to pet a brand new colt years ago. They are amazing and so soft. Definitely enjoy the painting Gary.

gxhpainter2
06-09-2015, 04:22 AM
I'm loving this new direction Garry - not saying I didn't appreciate the more abstract style but now I don't have to work so hard to see the 'message'. ;):cool::cool: I understand that, abstracts by their very nature are not easily grasp, but in doing them for the past few years I learned so much about digital color and mark making, it seems to have come full circle for me going back to a loose impressionistic realism that incorporates what I have learned. :):):)

Gary, :):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):) justjean what can I say? :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):cool: thank you!

I love impressionism and the subject is so dear. I got to pet a brand new colt years ago. They are amazing and so soft. Definitely enjoy the painting Gary. thanks Marilyn Anne I guess we both live in horse country, as I was driving around the other day with my camera I wanted to get some reference material and knew this pasture had 3-4 new colts and their mares with some outstanding twisted old junipers and bright green grass..

damasocl
06-09-2015, 10:34 AM
Awesome!!!!
Great paintings!!!!
I love it...
I can to smell the country...

Caesar
06-09-2015, 08:36 PM
Excellent one! More neo-macchiaiolo than neo-impressionist I'd say (not too different after all) and a most aweful painting indeed! You know how to transpose a scene or a picture into a tasty artpiece!

gxhpainter2
06-10-2015, 03:07 AM
Awesome!!!!
Great paintings!!!!
I love it...
I can to smell the country... ah thanks to you my friend for directing me toward the possibilities of the tracing image. :cool::cool::):)

Excellent one! More neo-macchiaiolo than neo-impressionist I'd say (not too different after all) and a most aweful painting indeed! You know how to transpose a scene or a picture into a tasty artpiece! Ah thanks Caesar, once again the depth of knowledge in your art history lead me to look up new-macchiaiolo.. and I found Florentine Giovanni Fattori one of its best artists. also this page that describes the method. You are absolutely spot on, the "patches" of light and dark are the style I wanted, not knowing of neo-macchiaiolo however..

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/353938/Macchiaioli

Caesar
06-10-2015, 03:27 AM
Actually the prefix neo (new in ancient Greek) is an addition of mine to indicate that You're not exactly among the starting Macchiaioli painter wave ...LOL;):o as an example of a serious use of it in art history I may cite the Neoclassicisme of Ingres for instance. :)

gxhpainter2
06-10-2015, 04:56 AM
Actually the prefix neo (new in ancient Greek) is an addition of mine to indicate that You're not exactly among the starting Macchiaioli painter wave ...LOL;):o as an example of a serious use of it in art history I may cite the Neoclassicisme of Ingres for instance. :) well excellent, I am glad I am not THAT old !...:rolleyes:

Bobbi
06-10-2015, 05:59 AM
Your abstracts have always been top notch. This painting, however, has to be one of your best.

D Akey
06-10-2015, 12:13 PM
Splashy and active, Gary.

I don't know if I can judge this one because I have a criteria by which I would gauge a subjective pic like this where it's so much in the representational camp as opposed to abstract. I can see what you're aiming for and I would have to suggest that from where I'm coming, that you either tighten up and attend to the structure more or go more abstract. I could see you coming to a balance where you divide it up where it's really loose and abstract as an overall tone and then as you get to important area(s) you tighten up and nail your structure with good anatomy and skillful painting and drawing. That's a way I've seen it often done and it works well in those cases frequently.

The way you have this at this point is that it's sort of evenly. . . um. . . what's the word. . . straddling a couple of ice flows that are never going to come back together. It's neither here nor there and you're so stretched that you can't jump in either direction. It's like an elaborate thumbnail sketch that doesn't really satisfy in either direction nor does it solve the compositional issues that thumbnails aim for. It's a sort of even patina with pleasant colors and a general idea of horses in a meadow. But were I a horse person I would feel let down. And were I an abstraction guy I would likewise not feel satisfied.

And as to the pose, it definitely looks like you took this directly from a photo with the happenstance composition you're doing. I'm not sure that looking at the biggest thing in my face is a horse's petute is terribly inviting. If you're Klimpt and you're making a statement to your critics it's okay though indirect. I would think there would be more interesting angles and placements for horses were this a painting that wasn't a gesture to step off.

Anyway, sorry if I sound like it's not a hit for me, but it's clearly an experiment and I am speaking to it from that consciousness. As a way to make a course correction, it's speaks to a lot of ways to use it to grow.

Go man go! Excellent depth sounding like the river boat in Life on the Mississippi.

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::):):):):):cool::coo l::cool::cool::cool:

Fakepivot
06-12-2015, 08:34 PM
omg thats really nicee work, love the brush strokes...

gxhpainter2
06-13-2015, 03:14 AM
omg thats really nicee work, love the brush strokes... thank you for commenting...! :)