PDA

View Full Version : Oregon Rhododenrons

gxhpainter2
06-05-2015, 06:35 AM
another experiment with tracing images and multiple layers to take a photograph into a more painterly expression of the image. I hope you enjoy this.

Marilyn Anne
06-05-2015, 06:54 AM
We have so many rhododendrons here in the mountains. One of my favorite flowers and this is nicely done.

gxhpainter2
06-05-2015, 08:17 AM
thanks Marilyn Anne, I am quite pleased you liked this as you do so many splendid floral paintings...I consider you my expert on the subject. :):):)

Enug
06-05-2015, 04:13 PM
What a beautiful painting - how lucky you are to have these flowers growing in your area. I have seen hybridised rhododendrons growing in Ireland where they are causing massive problems choking out native plants.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-27882358

gxhpainter2
06-05-2015, 04:44 PM
What a beautiful painting - how lucky you are to have these flowers growing in your area. I have seen hybridised rhododendrons growing in Ireland where they are causing massive problems choking out native plants.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-27882358 Thanks June!, a very interesting article! it is amazing that they have gone wild and taken over the landscape in Ireland, not a problem in Oregon where they grow in the shade of giant fir trees and not thickly, but take a plant and introduce it in a foreign place and all heck breaks out. We had a similar issue with Scotch Broom here, a not native plant used by the Highway department to plant along the freeways, they require little water and have thick bright yellow blossoms but now they are taking over everywhere and choking out the native grasses and other plants... will we never learn ?

Enug
06-05-2015, 05:49 PM
Not only pretty flowers - how about these ugly fellows!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cane_toads_in_Australia

Edit: just checked ad Scotch Broom is a problem here too.

Caesar
06-05-2015, 09:00 PM
What a marvel You got once more. Certainly not a usual and ordinary floral painting!

Marilyn Anne
06-06-2015, 02:15 AM
Thanks June!, a very interesting article! it is amazing that they have gone wild and taken over the landscape in Ireland, not a problem in Oregon where they grow in the shade of giant fir trees and not thickly, but take a plant and introduce it in a foreign place and all heck breaks out. We had a similar issue with Scotch Broom here, a not native plant used by the Highway department to plant along the freeways, they require little water and have thick bright yellow blossoms but now they are taking over everywhere and choking out the native grasses and other plants... will we never learn ?

They have goats trained to go out and eat the kudzo. It kills everything it covers.

Marilyn Anne
06-06-2015, 02:17 AM
thanks Marilyn Anne, I am quite pleased you liked this as you do so many splendid floral paintings...I consider you my expert on the subject. :):):)

Thank you. I have always been a fan of your work!

gxhpainter2
06-06-2015, 04:28 AM
What a marvel You got once more. Certainly not a usual and ordinary floral painting! Thanks dear friend, I know you are not a huge fan of floral paintings, so your appreciation means just that much more. I am quite pleased with the outcome on this work as well. I have some ideas about integrating photo work like this with my abstract brush and color work...so I am out today on a photo safari to gather some source material...:cool::cool:

They have goats trained to go out and eat the kudzo. It kills everything it covers. I have heard about kudzu and how it is blanketing all the forests and killing them, quite a problem.

Thank you. I have always been a fan of your work! your very welcome Marilyn Anne, I have long appreciated your comments and following of my work.. it is most encouraging for me. :):):)

Fashmir
06-06-2015, 07:55 AM
I love it!

gxhpainter2
06-06-2015, 08:03 AM
I love it! thanks David!...:cool::cool::):)

D Akey
06-06-2015, 09:21 AM
Quite excellent. One of your great strengths after all these years of working with the computer to make art is that you have a very rich visual vocabulary. Sort of Shakespearean. I know. . . Huh?

By that I recall a film director on some talk show recalling working with Sir Lawrence Olivier in his later years, while he, the interviewed guy was at the time a young director with far less experience. Now this of course is an actor who was all about interpretation. So the scene called for Olivier to enter the front door. Camera inside watching him enter. Plain and simple.

They did one take and they were about to wrap it up when Olivier questioned him about how he had wanted him to do it. The director said that the script said your character enters, and then cut to the next scene. Olivier went on to question him about whether or not he wanted him to do it differently. It left the director flat footed and he was about to dismiss the question as meaningless actor's wanting to be in front of the camera longer.

But Olivier went on to explain to him many of the nuances he could bring in to play that would lead to the next scene. He could come in, and think for a moment. He could do it slowly. He could check the mail. He could pause and listen. . . etc etc. . . and so the point was made. And I hope I make it here as well. All the details and nuances and colors and composition and computer effect cellular filigree and and so on all lead somewhere.

It's just a thought to own those thoughts from that point of view as well. This is a really beautiful painting. In fact I'm rather astonished to see you doing something subjective. And that's great. But you may want to play Olivier as well. Operating out of a pivotal point and doing variations but still "walking through the door". It's all in the spin, and subtle changes can make a big difference.

Anyway, rock on! "Or Jazz on, Rock off, Daniel-san" to misquote Mr Miyagi. . . Excellent painting, Gary!

Go man go!!!!!!!

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::):):):):):cool::coo l::cool::cool::cool:

justjean
06-06-2015, 09:53 AM
Lovely, lacy and delicate, Gary

gxhpainter2
06-06-2015, 12:19 PM
Quite excellent. One of your great strengths after all these years of working with the computer to make art is that you have a very rich visual vocabulary. Sort of Shakespearean. I know. . . Huh?

By that I recall a film director on some talk show recalling working with Sir Lawrence Olivier in his later years, while he, the interviewed guy was at the time a young director with far less experience. Now this of course is an actor who was all about interpretation. So the scene called for Olivier to enter the front door. Camera inside watching him enter. Plain and simple.

They did one take and they were about to wrap it up when Olivier questioned him about how he had wanted him to do it. The director said that the script said your character enters, and then cut to the next scene. Olivier went on to question him about whether or not he wanted him to do it differently. It left the director flat footed and he was about to dismiss the question as meaningless actor's wanting to be in front of the camera longer.

But Olivier went on to explain to him many of the nuances he could bring in to play that would lead to the next scene. He could come in, and think for a moment. He could do it slowly. He could check the mail. He could pause and listen. . . etc etc. . . and so the point was made. And I hope I make it here as well. All the details and nuances and colors and composition and computer effect cellular filigree and and so on all lead somewhere.

It's just a thought to own those thoughts from that point of view as well. This is a really beautiful painting. In fact I'm rather astonished to see you doing something subjective. And that's great. But you may want to play Olivier as well. Operating out of a pivotal point and doing variations but still "walking through the door". It's all in the spin, and subtle changes can make a big difference.

Anyway, rock on! "Or Jazz on, Rock off, Daniel-san" to misquote Mr Miyagi. . . Excellent painting, Gary!

Go man go!!!!!!!

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::):):):):):cool::coo l::cool::cool::cool: Wow excellent comment, yours are always so interesting and this is no exception, in fact I think I have heard this story before myself..:):)..Glad you like my little foray into the subjective world again. I am sure it is a temporary exploration and may lead to new abstracts? I do no usually do floral painting so this was a little outside my usual subject but I was in love with the interplay of the light pinks and dark earth and greens.. so glad you approve. I was out with my camera taking some more possible subject source images.... more to follow I hope :cool::cool:

Lovely, lacy and delicate, Gary thanks dear justjean, I hope you are doing well, I know you have been having some issues and not been able to paint as of late but I hope you are able soon.:):)