PDA

View Full Version : Scarecrow

jacktar51
05-16-2015, 01:47 AM
This one starts out as a scarecrow straw for hair, old top hat, button eyes and ball nose, but as I am getting carried away (with too much detail,) I find its developing rapidly into a rather nasty looking very cross person, so I'm posting it now before I wreck it overdoing everything (as I do).. Hope you like the sketch ( I'm still in sketch mode today) regards to all ....Jack.

Enug
05-16-2015, 03:13 AM
This is wonderful Jack - and I certainly wouldn't like to cross him. :eek: I don't agree that you 'wreck' things with too much detail - I love your work and the detail.

justjean
05-16-2015, 03:53 AM
I always admire the detail in your drawings that along with your drawing abilities is what makes them great :D

damasocl
05-16-2015, 04:48 AM
Wonderful painting!!!
I like it!

D Akey
05-16-2015, 06:32 AM
First rate Jack! I love it. Not too much detail for me. I think the shapes take on a local color like a flesh tone onto which you've modeled contour. So in this instance it works really well. He looks like a real person too, one that's not your usual models. You've had a tendency to use a particular type for years, and now he's looking like a different type of face, which tells me you're branching out. Were you working from a model rather than out of your head? This one looks very fresh and I could easily see him on screen as an actor playing the part of this kind of character.

Excellent work. I hope you save this drawing because I'm not sure how it would translate into a painting. It could take a different approach owing to the hatchy marks being such a feature of this one -- adding character and such.

Bravo to the Scarecrow!

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::):):):):):cool::coo l::cool::cool::cool:

jacktar51
05-16-2015, 08:44 PM
Enug,
Thank you for your reply, and your comment, pleased that you weren't put off by the " texture " marks, some people find it off putting, thanks for looking .....Jack.

jacktar51
05-16-2015, 08:48 PM
justjean,
Thanks for the comment Jean, I'm happy that the detail doesn't put you off the painting, I was experimenting with texture in this one, thanks for looking....Jack.

jacktar51
05-16-2015, 08:54 PM
damasocl ,
Hello my friend, thank you for looking at my sketch, I was having a go at some different approaches that other artists use, I always find it interesting to try new ideas and techniques, in this sketch marks left in deliberately, and texture used...thanks for your reply, Jack.

jacktar51
05-16-2015, 09:07 PM
Mr D Akey,
Hello D, I didn't use any kind of model or photograph or anything like that, I was trying out a new idea, to try to give more shape to the face, previous ones have been a bit flat, I decided more contrast and more shadow and highlight was perhaps the answer, I think I may have overdone the shadows a bit, the differences in light and shade in a face are very subtle rather than bold, I am seeking a happy medium at the moment, which is why faces recently vary more than previous, I realise the blending of shades have to be discreet rather than bold, but I still want the face to look like a painting or sketch rather than looking like a photo, faces are perhaps the most difficult of things to paint, but that's a challenge isn't it in itself. Still trying, thank you D for looking......Jack.

Caesar
05-18-2015, 07:46 PM
A wonderful printing or lythografy!

pat1940
05-22-2015, 07:31 AM
Wonderful painting Jack, always love your paintings

ianharding
05-26-2015, 09:51 AM
The Scarecrow, draws me in because it has a haunting and ghostly look about the image!, nice!!! :) :)