PDA

View Full Version : Lore Beast

Fashmir
04-29-2015, 05:22 AM
A concept as old as imagination. A creature ancient, wise, reclusive and protective of the earth. Here is my take on it in progress.

Someonesane
04-29-2015, 05:34 AM
Amazing work, as always, Fashmir!

Delofasht
04-29-2015, 08:36 AM
Oh this is nice man! Thanks for sharing, hope to see more of the WIP shots soon. (I'll be getting back to painting hopefully later tonight, if my cough will let up so I can not be trying to maintain a steady hand during coughing fits) I really like your take on this subject too, there is so many little details that make it seem so realistic, like a sketch done of a live one in the woods one day.

DarkOwnt
04-30-2015, 05:15 AM
That is awesome!

I see it is very animal like with an actual rock and tree growing on it...have you toyed with either

a) making the entire beast non-animal and fantastical - rocks, trees, streams on it everywhere; or
b) making it clearly a beast with bits that are "reminiscent" of earthly features such as rocks, trees etc.?

I'd be curious to see those too if you did!

Fashmir
05-12-2015, 06:53 AM
Someonesane- Thanks for your kind words as always! :-)

Delofasht- Thanks! I like the feeling I get when the details come to a point where I start to feel as though my subject could be real.

DarkOwnt- Thanks! I really love the suggestions you put forward. I feel like both directions would result in a cool image, but having gone down the 'literal beast' path to the point where I like several things about this guy, I chose to be inspired by the second of your two suggestions. My hope is that when I'm done the 'rock' projections will feel like bony growths protruding from the spine like we might see on a depiction of some dinosaurs and dragons. I turned the trees into spiky fur like quills and added a whip like tail. I also altered the position of his front left leg to feel more natural. Still very much a work in progress. Thanks for the inspiration.

Delofasht
05-12-2015, 07:52 AM
Subtle fascinating changes and yet retains the feeling of the creature! I tend to overcompensate when making changes, something I've been long trying to correct. I'm really enjoying seeing the work in progress it's a good learning experience for me regarding subtle changes and their impact on the whole. Thanks so much for sharing!

DarkOwnt
05-13-2015, 05:39 AM
Someonesane- Thanks for your kind words as always! :-)

Delofasht- Thanks! I like the feeling I get when the details come to a point where I start to feel as though my subject could be real.

DarkOwnt- Thanks! I really love the suggestions you put forward. I feel like both directions would result in a cool image, but having gone down the 'literal beast' path to the point where I like several things about this guy, I chose to be inspired by the second of your two suggestions. My hope is that when I'm done the 'rock' projections will feel like bony growths protruding from the spine like we might see on a depiction of some dinosaurs and dragons. I turned the trees into spiky fur like quills and added a whip like tail. I also altered the position of his front left leg to feel more natural. Still very much a work in progress. Thanks for the inspiration.

Thank you for the cool image!

Now... do you have a separate picture where he is looking at the viewer? Being the subject of study by those wise old alien eyes might have a greater impact upon and increase engagement with the viewer! He already intimidates me when he is looking off to the side... perhaps that is all I can handle.

Nice work! Thanks for sharing.

Fashmir
05-14-2015, 05:52 AM
Delofasht- I'm glad you enjoy it! Thanks!

DarkOwnt- Thanks! I'm happy you like it. As to creating another version of this in another pose, while I don't rule it out, I have no immediate plans to do it. I create these images for my own enjoyment as recreation from my day job where it is my task to create images from the minds of others. While I enjoy my work for the most part, I do like to enjoy the freedom of my own choices when I have the time. That said I love getting suggestions and critiques and find them to be inspiring and instructive so keep 'em coming. :-)

Here is today's update to the 'Lore Beast'. Mostly just working more carefully with the shapes that define the mane and tail as I develop it closer to a finish.

DarkOwnt
05-14-2015, 12:41 PM
Love how the "mane" cascades over the spine/rock/armor, and excellent choice for the treeish things to be "furry" spines!!

Fashmir
05-16-2015, 06:01 PM
Well, as there seems to be at least a couple of people interested, I guess I'll post one more update before I finish it off and call it done. Here I've spent time working with the ear, mane, quills and the rocky/bony extrusions on his shoulders. I also added longer tufts of fur around the ankles to add presence and movement. I have yet to add that on the forward hind leg. I plan to study the muscular anatomy of American Bison as I work on the hind leg. I will also add some more detail to the quills and tail. Finally I plan to work on the ground a bit to give him a proper place to stand and heighten the sense of place.

If y'all are interested in more like this from me, don't be afraid to say so. I get terribly busy with everyday projects but enjoy working on things like this when I can. I always save the stages of development so I can look back and see patterns in my work behavior. I find it's helpful. Well here it is. Last one before I post the finish in the main gallery forum. :-)

Delofasht
05-17-2015, 05:10 AM
I like how you are reinforcing your darks a bit at a time, this creature seems more solid with each update. Do you have a general approach that you use for most paintings and drawings? (guess I'm a bit process oriented, and love learning about others' processes)

Fashmir
05-19-2015, 11:14 AM
Hi Delofasht- I guess I have a general approach. I like to do a bunch of preliminary sketches (usually) and build my composition and design in the rough. Then I work from back to front (in general) an mid-tones, to darker and lighter, followed by even darker and lighter. With this guy I jumped into the work from a single sketch without taking the time to work everything out ahead of time. I was also trying out some different ways of using the tools together to get the marks I wanted, so there was a good deal of 'fiddly' experimentation going on the whole time. I also have a tendency to meditate on the environment, diet, threats to, and general back story of a creature or character as I work. This leads to changes like adding the thick mane and spikes as well as the tufts of long fur around the ankles (wards off bites from pack hunters). I find that I prefer holding off on the final lights and darks until those things have emerged. I wasn't particularly disciplined with this work as it was not for a client and was just for the joy of doing it.

Thanks for being interested and for asking questions/commenting.

DarkOwnt
05-20-2015, 12:56 AM
Fashmir, I think the beast turned out really well.

Thanks for sharing!

Delofasht
05-20-2015, 09:01 AM
David, thank you so much for the information on your general approach. I have found a great deal of correlation in the approaches of most artists' work that I really appreciate (I DO actually like most art in general though), but the subtle differences have an interesting affect on how we go about creating. It's quite different from simply painting what we see, as such developing different approaches for different subject matter is quite useful but having a general base from which to tailor the approach is quite handy. My own approach has some similarities to your own, and I've begun recently to really analyze how I see things; trying to apply that knowledge into my approach.

I really enjoyed a glimpse of your progress on this piece and always enjoy your art, thanks again for sharing it with us.

damasocl
05-22-2015, 06:32 AM
En cada avance, la obra va lentamente engrandeciéndose y se hace cada vez más bella...

In each advance, the work slowly grew great and becomes ever more beautiful ...

Fashmir
05-22-2015, 12:02 PM
Thank you all so much for your commentary!

DarkOwnt- I'm glad you like it. Thank you for challenging me to see the elements on his back in different ways, it was a major contribution to the final outcome!

Delofasht- Thanks! I always enjoy exchanging ideas with other artists and enjoy sharing what I've learned. I plan to post more works in progress here. I hope to see others posing more WIPS here as well, I enjoy learning new things and there are *always* new things to be learned. :-)

damasocl- Your words feel so good to hear. Thank you for saying so.

Here is the final image which I will also post on the general gallery forum.

Thanks again all!

DarkOwnt
05-22-2015, 12:17 PM
Holy crap! That last image with the extra hair and extra punch really is effective. Excellent last touches!

Caesar
05-22-2015, 08:23 PM
Everything's excellent in this drawing. I like very much the imaginary character concept and execution, the aerial perspective, the sheet texture, the sepia .... GREAT!

DebDeeDawn
05-28-2015, 03:08 PM
Breathtaking work ! How many hours so far ?

Fashmir
05-29-2015, 04:51 AM
DarkOwnt- Thanks. This was a fun one for me. :-)

Caesar- Thank you very much! I am so glad you like it!

DebDeeDawn- Thanks! I put around 12 hours into it total, broken up over a couple of weeks.