PDA

View Full Version : Blending Art Class

NewCube
05-06-2006, 03:30 AM
Hi All,

I was looking through the gallery and I've come to realise I need help! With my art that is. I've never really dealt with anything but pencils and radiograph in the real world so when I come to (digital) oils, pastels, crayons, etc. I'm lost! Blending, specifically, has never been an issue for me until ArtRage came along!

So what I am humbly asking is that if that anyone can spare the time, could they please recreate the image below in their own style with a few pointers on how it was achieved, oils, crayons, etc. focusing on the blending.

I know it's a bit of a cheek asking you guys to cough up many years of experience, but I feel this forum and the people within it are the kind of people I can ask! :oops:

Thanks in advance,
NC

:D

hype
05-06-2006, 08:49 AM
this is an EXCELLENT idea, newcube! i myself am a total idiot when it comes to the blending and smoothing of oils, chalks, or whatever. this will be amazing to learn from!!
i have to admit, sometimes i see some of the paintings here and wonder, what the heck tools are they using?! i thought that new blending brush might be for folks like myself, cause you masters seem to be doing fine without it! :D

anyway, great idea newcube! thanx!

milan2005
05-12-2006, 03:06 PM
very easy to achieve in professional digital painting software.

im not gonna mention any name of software, for the courtesy to artrage team.

hype
05-14-2006, 09:57 AM
wow, amazing blending in the skin tones, sweedie!

crayon - never would have thought!

hanzz
05-15-2006, 04:29 AM
Very cool, must try that soon.....if time permits, I'm a bit low on the time issue... :roll:

AndyRage
05-15-2006, 09:55 AM
All these eyes... all these eyes... they're watching me... (twitch, twitch).

:D

Very cool, Sweedie

Fashmir
05-15-2006, 12:44 PM
Hey New Cube- Sorry to take so long to respond to this. Sweedie beat me to it and a fine response he made. Here is my try at doing the image you posted. I used the paint roller on default paper to lay down the base flesh tone. Then it was a series of layers using the airbrush and different color tones to softly shade the eye socket. I used felt pen for color and clear blending on the eyebrow & eye lashes. A little papergrain tweaking on still other layers put a little texture into the airbrush color which I thought was looking too smooth and artificial. If you want to examine the actual ptg file give me a shout and I'll post it on my site for you to download.

bleepnik
05-15-2006, 05:27 PM
Wow. These are all incredible. And yes, Andy, they are watching you. =]

- Gita

evaperrin
05-15-2006, 07:28 PM
Eyes have always been another one of my achille's heel. These are all really fantastic. Fashmir, your lashes look really fine. You can almost reach out and feel how silky and smooth it would be in your fingers!

Stunning work everyone.

NewCube
05-15-2006, 08:59 PM
Fantastic. Thank you all very much for your amazing responses! I'm in the middle of moving house at the moment, so when I've settled in to my new pad, I'll be back in to my ArtRage once more!

Thanks again,
NC

Aged P
05-15-2006, 09:22 PM
Hi Newcube,

When you started this you couldn't have foreseen it turning into a battle of the Titans!

What amazing art the two of them have produced.

Fashmir's last posting where the mascara-free upper eyelashes cross the Kohled area of the lid is probably the finest that anyone has ever done.

Sweedie's "Fantasy" eye conveys so much expression! Thoughtful, bored? Certainly she is introspective.

What a feast of genius.

Thank you.

sbug51
05-16-2006, 03:03 AM
that so amazing guys! cool trick with crayons(i never thought of using it!)

and fashmir !!! like copy and paste but some how you managed to enlarge it ;) ehhehe really cool!

beadie09
05-18-2006, 07:45 AM
Ok, I love eyes, so I couldn't resist here is my version.

Ok, here is how I did mine, I used paintbrush and palette knife.
I first copied and pasted and then enlarged to 800 x800 and then downloaded to artrage.
I then added a layer.
Then using color picker tool (eye dropper) I first picked a color and added it with a large brush I had about 20 on the thinner, and 60 on the load, 50 on pressure. (I would lessen the load next time, there was way too much paint and hindered the blending). I did this for dark, light and several mid tones to skin only around the eye. Then with a smaller brush added eye tones, no need to fill the whole space with color, when you blend just smear it into any blank areas.
After laying down your blocks of color, get out your palette knife and adjust size according to area 0-20 pressure (edge off) then I blended by dragging first into color and then into the adjoining color. Remember that you can drag dark into light and light into dark to blend, I like to blend along the “seam line”.
I also like to put my layer palette along the side so I can use it as a reference point and also it makes it easier to turn on and off layers to see if you are blending all areas, no blank spots or if you are way off, (to turn off a layer check the top button of that layer-it is a check mark, it will turn to an ”X”).
I love that palette knife! Adjust pressure to see which pressure you like for dragging paint, depending on how loaded your brush is, some pressures work better than others. Also you definitely want some pressure the first time you start blending, because you need to get rid of the brush strokes!

ENCHANTER
05-18-2006, 08:56 AM
that is really well done eye!

:)

evaperrin
05-18-2006, 12:57 PM
Gosh those lashes! They look so soft. Another stunning rendition!

bleepnik
05-19-2006, 02:06 AM
I'm running out of superlatives... this is just beautiful work. Thanks for sharing, Serena.

- Gita

ENCHANTER
05-19-2006, 12:24 PM
i thought i would have a go too :)

ENCHANTER
05-19-2006, 12:25 PM
here it is :oops:

Selby
05-19-2006, 05:22 PM
oh,Enchanter -its lovely I especially like the colour you've chosen for the Eye its beautiful and you've really captured a quality of 'life' in your version. Gosh-well done :D

beadie09
05-20-2006, 02:10 AM
Enchanter, Lovely. I really like the sparkle in the eye! Tell us the media used and any blending tips you have.
thanks--

angrypotato
05-20-2006, 06:09 AM
Wow! Enchanter that eye just POPS like...BAM....i love it...i love how very detailed the eye looks but the surroundings arent so much ...which just adds to the poppy-ness...very nice...very beautiful

bleepnik
05-20-2006, 06:20 AM
Yup yup, wow. That pupil, and the white of the eye. Wow. I mean, that's like, just about photorealistic! That bit of pink near the lower lid, wonderful, just brilliant!

- Gita

ENCHANTER
05-20-2006, 09:32 AM
justG -Gita, Thankyou for your compliments and saying 'photorealistic' because that is what i was trying to achieve, :lol:

angrypotato -Thankyou angrypotato( i grin ..everytime i see that name..just conjures up an amazing picture i my head)....thanks :lol:

beadie09- :oops: ..I think I posted this 1.30 am ....so my memory is a bit blurry...I think i used oil...pencil...and palette knife for a bit of blending....oh...and airbrush :lol:

Selby- Thankyou for your compliments :lol:

I realised after seeing the post i missed bits out and didnt finalise it .......as i said..it was 1.30 am and i was falling asleep with my head on my wacom volito....oh well.....gald you all enjoyed 'looking' at it :)

Albeirucho
07-27-2006, 02:53 PM
Hi NewCube!

Here is my approach to getting that elusive eye :lol:
I just try the airbrush with different values in thickness, color, flow, etc., and this is the result.
I just used plain paper, but I think the effect could have been better if I had used a sand paper or granulated.

bleepnik
07-28-2006, 01:34 AM
Wow, that looks great, Albeirucho.

.g

milan2005
08-01-2006, 02:05 PM
I tried painting an eye using only ArtRage. I used the Crayon and the Palette Knife (about 25%). They work nice together. The Crayon in itself is a good blender. I used that the most in this painting.

milan2005 wrote that it is very easy painting this in any other software. My question is: can you please show how you do it in ArtRage?

my point is exatly my point, if u ask me to do it in artrage2 it takes me ages, cause i dont have tablet.

and i didnt say "ANY" other software, at least u should know some of this kind digital art software. then you know my point, it's just honest words.

my point is mainly about "EASY" blending. not "BETTER" blending.

milan2005
08-01-2006, 10:46 PM
i c my one? see the difference?

enRaged
12-11-2006, 02:58 AM
Fasmir amazes me, do you use a mouse or one of those pen things?

jacktar51
01-24-2007, 09:36 AM
I sling my cap into the ring, I jump on this band wagon..EYE,EYE CAptain

jacktar51
01-24-2007, 06:15 PM
I used th airbrush on VERY low setting, the colour picker tool , and the art pen.....no layering. straight paint as seen...........Jack.

reillyr
02-07-2007, 04:29 PM
Well I finished mine, took me about 3 hours. Used only the paintbrush using 1 layer, mostly using the same hue except for the iris. (I don't have the full version so I can't use any of the unlockable stuff.)

Bobbi
05-20-2007, 01:56 PM
I am finding ArtRage a lot of fun. I'm not an artist but this sure gives a person a chance to at least try. :D

Caesar
05-31-2007, 11:36 PM
Ops, I made new topic instead of reply!

Caesar
06-01-2007, 02:17 AM
I increased size (not resulution though) and tested a minimal 4%yellow "velatura" (transparent coloured veiling layer) and a blue-cerulean one at 9% as per the initial one although with different colour.
What I forgot to say is that I did not use the picture for picking th right colours and tones but I directly mixed some colours on the sheet. If You do not require greens it's OK.
In the meanwhile I thought about and I believe there is really a great number of ways and techniques (especially mixing two or three of them) You may use for obtaining iper-realistic effects. For examples I did not use felt pen which are very useful for nice and smooth "sfumature" (colour blending/ transitions).
Bye for now and thanks for the opportunity to face such a challenge!!

Caesar
06-01-2007, 02:19 AM
Sorry, this are the otgre two.

angelic
07-13-2007, 07:07 AM
Okay,

So back to the original question for a moment if we could...(I can't blend either, ;) )

Of the various samples shown here, it seems that there were two main blending production techniques (but please add if I am wrong):

1) Color layers of changing value either with a bristly brush or airbrush.

2) Colors of different value next to each other then blending where they meet with a knife or something.

For those more experienced artists that use blends effectively, do you tend to favor one or the other? Is one more of a starting technique and one more for later in the artwork?

Super for all that have posted and even moreso for us who are getting to learn from your higher skills and ability (and willingness) to show how you do it!

Thanks, again,

- A

soapbox
11-18-2007, 09:12 AM
Hi Angelic,
It doesn't look as if any of the artists have seen your question yet. I have been looking through some of the tutorials for the first time but I know a little bit about ArtRage. So I will try and help though there is a strong chance you may not see this since your question was 4 months ago.

The way you phrased your question makes it quite hard to answer.

Basically, everyone has used different methods of applying colour on the paper including the oil brush, the crayon and the airbrush. The oil brush shows striations or paint lines, the crayon shows graininess and the airbrush looks like a fine soft spray depending on the settings you choose. So the original choice is up to you depending on what look you like.

Laying down paler then darker tones of the same colour helps towards the eventual blending process.

Blending is usually done with the Palette Knife as you proceed to different tones and shades.

Hope this helps. Maybe someone else may come along and offer further advice or correct me if I am wrong.

Sophie

soapbox
11-18-2007, 09:22 AM
Just in case any of the artists in this thread do happen to see this post, I have to say I have enjoyed this thread enormously and learned huge amounts.

I am indebted to you all for a birdseye view (sorry! couldn't resist) of some of the finer points of painting with ArtRage. This is one of the best tutorials I have found today and I am only one third of the way down the list!

:)

Sophie

cathyd
05-15-2009, 02:25 PM
Wow! Amazing work on all those eyes! It is wonderful to see how other artists do their stuff. :) I gleaned a lot here too. Fantastic idea for a thread, "NewCube." ;) Maybe I'll work on one and put it up when I get the chance. Blessings, Cathy