PDA

View Full Version : Spray On Foliage

markw
03-08-2015, 10:35 AM
I saw a post by Victor Osaka yesterday (http://forums.artrage.com/showthread.php?25081-Hello-and-introduction&p=490141#post490141) where he suggested using the Sticker Spray tool for producing random leaf effects for trees. Which got me thinking and then to experimenting...
The results of which I thought I would share with the rest of the forum in the form of an ARpack of presets for "spray on" foliage.
Download Link for ArtRage4 and above: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pvnx2mv7yfjt8qk/FoliageSpraysARpack.zip?dl=0
Download Link for ArtRage3 users: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ipzlmlo6ijc690k/ArtRage3_FoliageSpraysARpack.zip?dl=0

The download contains an ARpack of Sticker Spray presets for producing random colour and foliage effects that can be "sprayed on".
But I'm afraid you will have to provide your own trunks and branches for spraying onto!
Note; these presets are only for producing the suggested form and shades found in foliage, so don't use actual leaf images.

The Presets.
The main difference between the presets is the brush head used in each.
They are in two sets, though the only difference between the two sets is that Foliage Spray 3D has 'Shadows' turned on by default.
All the Sticker Sheets used by the sprays are from brushes included with AR4 so once the presets in the ARpack are loaded they should work.

Suggested Use.
"Heavy" sprays have a high spray rate and are for quickly building up an overall silhouette of the foliage and blocking in form. Dark colours are probably best used for this stage.
"Light" sprays have a lower spray rate and used for refining the foliage forms. As you refine the forms use successively lighter colours, finally finishing with the highlights.
I made these presets using a tablet & pen so they do use pressure sensitivity to effect size.

I must confess I had a great deal of fun messing about with these and I hope others have fun using them too.
And should others come up with variations on these presets do share them!

sueellen
03-08-2015, 04:16 PM
Wow! I love these! Thanks!

Victor Osaka
03-08-2015, 05:27 PM
Very cool package markw! Thanks for all your work. I just started a Cherry Blossom Tree and Walkway painting and they work really well.

Important for everyone to learn and utilize the Spray Variations panel for stuff like this. Especially to randomize things like saturation, rotation, and scale.

vandra
03-08-2015, 06:36 PM
Thanks for sharing these :)

Liquid Len
03-09-2015, 06:05 AM
An excellent and very skillfully produced resource; many thanks for sharing, it will come in very useful!

Enug
03-09-2015, 02:04 PM
Thank you so much - I have downloaded and will have a play today. ArtRage has such generous members!

hildee
03-12-2015, 03:46 PM
Thanks for all the work, Mark. I've nabbed this pack :)

hinket
04-07-2015, 04:00 PM
Hey Markw,

Thank you for these foliage presets.

Every last one of them was used in the painting I created,
trying them out. :D:D:D

It's called Foliage, of course! Not quite ready to post it, though. :)

markw
04-07-2015, 11:44 PM
Really glad people here are finding these presets fun and useful.
Hinket, you have me intrigued:confused: "Used every last one" you say and all in the same painting!
Can't wait to see what you've created!

hypotaxis
04-11-2015, 06:03 PM
These are really excellent. Thank you Mark.

Brett

Fashmir
04-11-2015, 08:25 PM
Nice results! Well done!

pattyedge
02-22-2016, 07:01 PM
Hi,

I came across the spray on foliage and they look fantastic. I tried the link but it no longer seems to exist. I just wondered if anyone still has these to share?
Thanks in advance,

Patty

Rondo
02-22-2016, 07:37 PM
Have you clicked on the ARtpack? in the 1st post??? i just tried it and it seems to work ok.

Geoffish
02-23-2016, 05:28 AM
Fantastic.... Love em...

pattyedge
02-23-2016, 09:24 PM
Thanks Rondo,

I tried clicking on the pack yesterday at work and it didn't work. Just tried again at home after seeing your comment and it's worked! Must be the settings at work! Thanks again ..these are fantastic!

Vic_OHara
09-19-2016, 03:30 AM
this is awesome! thanks! the results are stunning! :)

markw
09-19-2016, 09:55 PM
Hello Vic_OHara and welcome to the ArtRage forums :)
Glad to see you and the other posters in this thread are finding these sprays fun and useful.

kenmo
10-08-2016, 05:43 AM
Haven't downloaded these but from what I see in this thread they look awesome....many thanks...

GLANG
12-25-2016, 05:07 PM
Thank you. These are great. Wish I'd had them for a recent project.

jman0war
03-11-2017, 06:01 PM
I downloaded, then ran the FoliageSprays.arpack, then ArtRage opened and i installed all.
Now in ArtRage i don't see them?

Where should i find them?

I think i found them now.
"Foliage Brushes" and "Foliage Brushes3d".

Can't get the same effect as the large darker green tree on the right though.
But they are nice that they change the hue the way they do.

markw
03-12-2017, 06:29 AM
Hello jman0war,
Glad you got them working in the end and hope they prove useful to you:)
(I'll let you into a secret, that tree on the right wasn't my first try at it either:cool:)

Oktavia
03-29-2017, 07:45 AM
Hi,

Is this file still available? when I click the link in the first post it takes me to dropbox but says this file has been moved or is no longer available, grateful for any help.

Oktavia

Rondo
03-29-2017, 09:06 AM
Maybe this wil help you?:)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fyfvejj70afdf3j/FoliageSpraysARpack.zip?dl=0

Oktavia
03-29-2017, 12:36 PM
Maybe this wil help you?:)

Excellent, thank you very much Rondo.

markw
03-30-2017, 05:47 AM
Thanks for the heads-up Octavia about the original link. And I hope you like the brushes!
Dropbox implemented changes this month to how stuff gets shared/accessed and warned that some links using the old system might need to be re-linked.
Looks like this was one of them!
And thanks Rondo for covering for me!:cool:

Rondo
03-30-2017, 05:59 AM
you more then welcome;)

jman0war
05-13-2017, 07:32 AM
Is there anything i could adjust here, that would set the spray to have less of a range of dark to light?
I find the dark leaves are too dark and saturated for what im trying to achieve.

HannahRage
05-13-2017, 06:31 PM
Is there anything i could adjust here, that would set the spray to have less of a range of dark to light?
I find the dark leaves are too dark and saturated for what im trying to achieve.

Tool Settings > Spray Variation button > Clear the 'Luminance' value in the Random column. This will set it to use the default luminance (brightness) all the time.

Extra tweaking:

- Change the random value to a negative, it will make it lighter than the default randomly
- Reduce the size of the value for a smaller range of options
- Add a negative value in the Base column next to it (first column) to lower the default value for all strokes (and then keep, edit, or remove the Random one as you choose).

jman0war
05-17-2017, 03:43 PM
Tool Settings > Spray Variation button > Clear the 'Luminance' value in the Random column. This will set it to use the default luminance (brightness) all the time.

Extra tweaking:

- Change the random value to a negative, it will make it lighter than the default randomly
- Reduce the size of the value for a smaller range of options
- Add a negative value in the Base column next to it (first column) to lower the default value for all strokes (and then keep, edit, or remove the Random one as you choose).

Thanks for the tip!
I'm saving that out to remember it.

uncle808us
07-27-2017, 03:06 PM
The download contains an ARpack of Sticker Spray presets for producing random colour and foliage effects that can be "sprayed on".
But I'm afraid you will have to provide your own trunks and branches for spraying onto!
Note; these presets are only for producing the suggested form and shades found in foliage, so don't use actual leaf images.

The Presets.
The main difference between the presets is the brush head used in each.
They are in two sets, though the only difference between the two sets is that Foliage Spray 3D has 'Shadows' turned on by default.
All the Sticker Sheets used by the sprays are from brushes included with AR4 so once the presets in the ARpack are loaded they should work.

Suggested Use.
"Heavy" sprays have a high spray rate and are for quickly building up an overall silhouette of the foliage and blocking in form. Dark colours are probably best used for this stage.
"Light" sprays have a lower spray rate and used for refining the foliage forms. As you refine the forms use successively lighter colours, finally finishing with the highlights.
I made these presets using a tablet & pen so they do use pressure sensitivity to effect size.

I must confess I had a great deal of fun messing about with these and I hope others have fun using them too.
And should others come up with variations on these presets do share them!

85744[/QUOTE]

I can't get these to load. Please can someone help.

Rondo
07-27-2017, 03:39 PM
here ye go ;)

uncle808us
07-28-2017, 12:43 AM
here ye go ;)

Same problem: Don't know why.

Enug
07-28-2017, 02:09 AM
The Dropbox link works fine for me. Where are you having the problem - downloading or installing? To install, first extract files from the .zip - Click on the green package icon and AR will open and the foliage stickers will be automatically installed.

Rondo
07-28-2017, 02:59 AM
ye i checked the link again.....al is ok....

uncle808us
07-28-2017, 03:12 AM
The Dropbox link works fine for me. Where are you having the problem - downloading or installing? To install, first extract files from the .zip - Click on the green package icon and AR will open and the foliage stickers will be automatically installed.

Installing as you can see from my attached ing, Thanks No problem downloading.

markw
07-28-2017, 03:32 AM
Sorry uncle808us, only just noticed your post’s here.
I think what may be the problem here is that I made the pack in AR4 and it’s not compatible with AR3.
But fear not! I’ve repackaged it again, this time for use in AR3.
I can load it into my copy of AR3Pro and the brushes work but do let us know how you get on.

Download Link for AR3 users: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ipzlmlo6ijc690k/ArtRage3_FoliageSpraysARpack.zip?dl=0

Thank's once again Rondo & June for trying to assist here. Got to love the AR community:):cool:

uncle808us
07-28-2017, 04:07 AM
Sorry uncle808us, only just noticed your post’s here.
I think what may be the problem here is that I made the pack in AR4 and it’s not compatible with AR3.
But fear not! I’ve repackaged it again, this time for use in AR3.
I can load it into my copy of AR3Pro and the brushes work but do let us know how you get on.

Download Link for AR3 users: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ipzlmlo6ijc690k/ArtRage3_FoliageSpraysARpack.zip?dl=0

Thank's once again Rondo & June for trying to assist here. Got to love the AR community:):cool:

Yes it is a great bunch of guys here, Thank you so much for doing that these are just what I needed. Again my thanks to all for helping me.

HwyStar
07-28-2017, 11:19 AM
Thanks for helping him out Mark! You and Red seem to have most of the bases covered here and we appreciate it!

Clematoons
01-12-2018, 05:51 PM
Thanks, I dig them!

artcris
07-27-2020, 10:01 AM
thank you is amazing job

markw
07-28-2020, 04:53 AM
Bienvenido a las foros artcris:)
Gracias y disfrutar los:cool:
Desde tu otra publicación en el foro, eres de España, ¿no?

mantis7
01-29-2021, 07:26 AM
These look GREAT!

Can't wait to try this!

markw
01-29-2021, 03:15 PM
Thank you mantis7:)
Have fun with them!

Bianca Leigh
02-03-2022, 01:53 PM
These are extremely helpful.