PDA

View Full Version : Checking In: Forum feedback thread

HannahRage
02-26-2015, 03:23 PM
Hey guys! I just wanted to check in with everyone and find out if the forum is working for you all, or if you have an ideas that you'd like to suggest about the way it's organised or moderated?

Does everything makes sense? Is there something missing? Do you feel safe posting here?

We're pretty active all over the Internet on Facebook and deviantART now. Would you like to hear about it in the forums, or would you rather keep the spaces separate? Would you like us to post updates whenever we publish a new article or artist feature?

We do have a few limitations with the forum software, so I can't promise changes, but I'm very interested in the opinions of the people who actually use it everyday (or don't use it, for reasons that I can help with). I'm also very interested in people's ideas for possible future improvements.

Victor Osaka
02-27-2015, 09:17 PM
Ok, so my hope is that we could have a way to add a favorite button to forum posts. Sort of a rating system for threads. A star rating from 1 to 5 that we could click on WHILE we are viewing a post.

A way we could click on a button to share directly to the ArtRage Page on FaceBook. I would want to share not only images directly from our individual galleries but maybe even posts from the forums?

Anyway those are my thoughts.

Victor

Victor Osaka
02-27-2015, 09:19 PM
BTW, you guys are brilliant. You must be moderating the forums A LOT. Because, I find it so very clean.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

justjean
02-27-2015, 09:58 PM
I think a thumbs up would be nicer than a rating system and it would keep the friendliness of our forum alive :)

fraser_paice
02-27-2015, 10:26 PM
A favourite or thumbs up would be good. Also an Earburn, where if you name a user in a thread, they are notified.

HannahRage
03-04-2015, 05:51 PM
Noted. Those are all a little beyond our current forum software, but we'll keep them in mind.

A way we could click on a button to share directly to the ArtRage Page on FaceBook. I would want to share not only images directly from our individual galleries but maybe even posts from the forums?

You can currently link directly to a post. If you click the little number in the top right of your post (e.g. #2 ) it's a link directly to that post.

E.g. http://forums.artrage.com/showthread.php?48845-Checking-In-Forum-feedback-thread&p=490683#post490683

Micmac
03-05-2015, 02:26 AM
Hi

It would be great if the combined knowledge of a topic was sifted out and placed in a pdf or the like.
i.e. "Everything about resolution" etc.

Michael

byroncallas
05-02-2015, 08:01 AM
Hi

It would be great if the combined knowledge of a topic was sifted out and placed in a pdf or the like.

Michael

I second this times 1000.

byroncallas
05-02-2015, 08:14 AM
Hi Hannah,

We used to be able to type posts with WISIWYG. But now we have to use code for lots of stuff. It would be so much better if we could go back.

I agree with the post suggesting to organize posts for like topics and combined wisdom together in some way. That suggestion is gold, even as I can see it is challenging and maybe not accomplishable right now.

I've been a way for a while, but popping in, I see this remains one of the more terrific and collegiate forums I have ever encountered on the internet, as well as helpful and enlightening.

All best,
b

EDIT: PS: I suggest you make this a "sticky" post to keep it up front for people to see, or otherwise, bounce it up every couple of days if you want people to see it.

gxhpainter2
05-02-2015, 08:26 AM
Hi Hannah,

I have noticed that some frequent long time users in the forum create a single thread and keep adding their work to it: I think this is great because you can easily see all their work and comments about it. I don't know if there is a limit on that size for not but it must be quite large in any case. It would be great if we could "merge" all our past threads into a single one if we chose to, or organize them into some year-month folders... just a few thoughts..:cool:

byroncallas
05-02-2015, 08:39 AM
Hi Hannah,

I have noticed that some frequent long time users in the forum create a single thread and keep adding their work to it: I think this is great because you can easily see all their work and comments about it. I don't know if there is a limit on that size for not but it must be quite large in any case. It would be great if we could "merge" all our past threads into a single one if we chose to, or organize them into some year-month folders... just a few thoughts..:cool:

Great idea, being able to merge our own past threads in some way. I started doing a "single" thread approach a few years back because I wanted to keep stuff together, and fell in love with it. I've a lot of old threads I'd love to be able to merge by certain topics if there was an easy way to do it.

hildee
05-02-2015, 03:33 PM
Good idea, byroncallas. One thread there has 961 pages, started 5 years ago! with the subject line " Bus sketch'es 1.2.3.4.5."...have no idea what that means. No one would go through all those pages unless they were here when those threads started, there are a few of them. Personally, I'd like to see a separate one done for each new painting started by members. Just keeps things looking current imo :cool:

Edit: Plus having to re-find the threads to re-post in them each time must be tedious.

byroncallas
05-02-2015, 04:43 PM
Good idea, byroncallas. One thread there has 961 pages, started 5 years ago! with the subject line " Bus sketch'es 1.2.3.4.5."...have no idea what that means. No one would go through all those pages unless they were here when those threads started, there are a few of them. Personally, I'd like to see a separate one done for each new painting started by members. Just keeps things looking current imo :cool:

Edit: Plus having to re-find the threads to re-post in them each time must be tedious.

Thanks Hildee. I suspect this is one of those different strokes for different folks kind of things. For example, the Bus Sketch thread has something like 400,000 views, the most by leaps and bounds of any thread in the forum. It's a living, breathing entity for those who want to engage it, full of lively exchange that has taken on a life of its own. Lots of people engage it. Different people come in and out of it over time. It's clear, from reading the posts, that many have perused it and found delight at various points in its history. The MOARA thread started by Lima years ago is another great example. These threads may not be for everybody, but they are certainly beloved by many who have stayed engaged with them over many years. Of course, many (probably most) people enjoy the process of posting a new painting, have a short-term engagement about it, and moving on to the next thing. I like that too. It's great that the forum accommodates both. Both together provide rich texture for engagement in the forum. The idea to be able to pull together a collection of past threads thematically, for example, is an idea to add another layer of subject matter organization and participation texture, though I gather from Hannah it may not be technically achievable near term. If it ever is, no doubt the inventive people who participate in this wonderful forum will find terrific ways put it to good use.

HannahRage
05-04-2015, 01:38 PM
Hi

Michael

Perhaps when I have a century to spare... :D

We're trying to improve the actual website's resources and tutorials, and that does include paying attention to the information in the forums. However, there are an awful lot of posts, and a lot of outdated (though once brilliant) information. It would be very good if we could organise it a bit better, but it may have to be a community effort.

Great idea, being able to merge our own past threads in some way. I started doing a "single" thread approach a few years back because I wanted to keep stuff together, and fell in love with it. I've a lot of old threads I'd love to be able to merge by certain topics if there was an easy way to do it.

I can merge them for people on request. Send me a PM with details if anyone wants something merged - though if the result is too confusing, I reserve the right to not do it :rolleyes:

Hi Hannah,

We used to be able to type posts with WISIWYG. But now we have to use code for lots of stuff. It would be so much better if we could go back.

Noted. Unfortunately, that falls under 'stuff the forum just can't do right now'.

Just a tip: common shortcuts like ctrl + b for bold will still work, so you can type normally, and it will insert the code for you.

HannahRage
05-04-2015, 02:19 PM
Perhaps when I have a century to spare... :D

We're trying to improve the actual website's resources and tutorials, and that does include paying attention to the information in the forums. However, there are an awful lot of posts, and a lot of outdated (though once brilliant) information. It would be very good if we could organise it a bit better, but it may have to be a community effort.

Here goes... http://forums.artrage.com/showthread.php?49280-It-came-from-the-forums-The-find-all-the-useful-posts-project

Gms9810
06-08-2015, 06:34 PM
Works fine for me. I don't require any changes....except for a lazyboy recliner to sit in while I read.

Oli
08-10-2015, 02:01 AM
just testing ....bye
no seriously..I just wanted to see the amazing colours of atrRage in my test avatar
...no really I'm here to say hi all..
phew! there's some long thread topics here

DJM
08-14-2016, 11:36 PM
Noted. Those are all a little beyond our current forum software, but we'll keep them in mind.

You can currently link directly to a post. If you click the little number in the top right of your post (e.g. #2 ) it's a link directly to that post.

E.g. http://forums.artrage.com/showthread.php?48845-Checking-In-Forum-feedback-thread&p=490683#post490683

I guess I am lost here,why click on the # when I am already looking at the post?What do mean by link directly?

Does anyone sign up for tutorial courses i.e.: Lynda.com?I find, like any manual I have ever read that there is always something missing, The instructor knows what and where to go to,but fails to give adequate guidance.

What reasoning is there to go to other sites to talk about AR when this site contains so much,other than a sales idea?

DJM
08-14-2016, 11:37 PM

85718[/QUOTE]

I guess I am lost here,why click on the # when I am already looking at the post?What do mean by link directly?

Does anyone sign up for tutorial courses i.e.: Lynda.com?I find, like any manual I have ever read that there is always something missing, The instructor knows what and where to go to,but fails to give adequate guidance.

What reasoning is there to go to other sites to talk about AR when this site contains so much,other than a sales idea?

Enug
08-15-2016, 09:20 PM
If you want to share the information in a particular post you can Right click on that number e.g. #2 and chose from the options to share the link to that post.

Like I just did to link to your post (#19) https://forums.artrage.com/showthread.php?48845-Checking-In-Forum-feedback-thread&p=509900#post509900

DJM
08-16-2016, 11:08 PM
If you want to share the information in a particular post you can Right click on that number e.g. #2 and chose from the options to share the link to that post.

Like I just did to link to your post (#19) https://forums.artrage.com/showthread.php?48845-Checking-In-Forum-feedback-thread&p=509900#post509900

I see what is meant by link to thread,thanks
As far as courses go,I was just curious,learning by trial an error seems to be a better method for me plus AR's forums.

DJM
08-22-2016, 12:29 PM
I had a thought, is it possible to create a perspective tool using the select tool? when doing a perspective drawing it would be helpful.