PDA

View Full Version : Art for my kids book! Cindercast: A Tale of Tides

MichaelBlackbourn
02-09-2015, 03:34 AM
Amazing software! I had a great time using artrage to put my middlegrade book together. Lots of full page art was inked on paper then painted with Artrage, and the cover was 100% digital.

Its a story about a quarter inch tall adventurer on the beach.

Written for 8+ readers.

Bobbi
02-09-2015, 04:22 AM
Really amazing art work. Hope we will get to see the finished product. You have found out what we all have, ArtRage is a fantastic tool.

MichaelBlackbourn
02-09-2015, 05:24 AM
Really amazing art work. Hope we will get to see the finished product. You have found out what we all have, ArtRage is a fantastic tool.

Its finished! Available on amazon. The interior art is black n white where I used artrage to paint over ink in paper. I used watercolor to break up areas with different value for separating FG and BG elements.

D Akey
02-09-2015, 08:00 AM
Charming style and concept. :):):):):):cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::):):):):)

MichaelBlackbourn
02-09-2015, 01:26 PM
Charming style and concept. :):):):):):cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::):):):):)

Thanks! That's exactly the right number of smiley faces!

If anyone wants a review copy for their kids, just let me know.

More art:

Rachelle
02-09-2015, 01:37 PM
This is beautiful, Michael :)
Much success to your project!

Question:
I'm not sure what you mean by "review copy" in your sentence, quote:

<<If anyone wants a review copy for their kids, just let me know.>>

And as D Akey said it very well,
:):):):):):cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::):):):):)

justjean
02-09-2015, 01:50 PM
Looks great, bet the kids and their parents love it :D

MichaelBlackbourn
02-09-2015, 02:15 PM
This is beautiful, Michael :)
Much success to your project!

Question:
I'm not sure what you mean by "review copy" in your sentence, quote:

<<If anyone wants a review copy for their kids, just let me know.>>

And as D Akey said it very well,
:):):):):):cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::):):):):)

Hah. A free copy. Pdf or .mobi.

Rachelle
02-09-2015, 04:05 PM
:) :) :) Michael! :) :) :)

Wow a freebie! Whoot whoot! :D :D :D

I'll gladly welcome it, thank you!
(inbox? I don't know .mobi, but pdf is good)

I just came from fetching this fascinating interview of yours, where you share how Cindercast came to be.

I want to share that interview here:

http://ajcosmo.com/blog/index.php/mike-blackbourn-cindercast/

I'm not done reading it, eager to go back to it! :D

MichaelBlackbourn
02-09-2015, 04:17 PM
I'll gladly welcome it, thank you!
(inbox? I don't know .mobi, but pdf is good)

I just came from fetching this fascinating interview of yours, where you share how Cindercast came to be.

I want to share that interview here:

I'm not done reading it, eager to go back to it! :D

Send me an email, its a gmail address, [email protected] I'm happy to send a copy your way. If its at all possible I'd love a review of it, even a very short one posted somewhere but its not necessary.

Glad you like the guest post on AJ's blog. A couple nice macro shots of mine on there.

Bobbi
02-09-2015, 05:07 PM
I was looking once more at the cover you did and it suddenly struck me why it intrigued me. It reminded me of a book that always fired my imagination when I was a kid many moons ago. I loved looking at the illustrations. I finally read the book years later. It still fascinates me to this day. I hope your book will delight some child who finds that they still find it joyful in years to come. I refer to the book titled: "Mistress Masham's Repose". I wish you every success.

Rachelle
02-09-2015, 05:14 PM
:D Thanks for the pdf Mike :)
fun fun fun over the next week, reading it!
lookin' real good :D :cool::cool::cool:

MichaelBlackbourn
02-09-2015, 06:02 PM
I was looking once more at the cover you did and it suddenly struck me why it intrigued me. It reminded me of a book that always fired my imagination when I was a kid many moons ago. I loved looking at the illustrations. I finally read the book years later. It still fascinates me to this day. I hope your book will delight some child who finds that they still find it joyful in years to come. I refer to the book titled: "Mistress Masham's Repose". I wish you every success.

Very cool. Seems like similar subject matter. One main difference is that I chose to not include a 'clash of the sizes' story. IT's just about the little people living in what would be to us, an alien world.

MichaelBlackbourn
02-09-2015, 06:03 PM
:D Thanks for the pdf Mike :)
fun fun fun over the next week, reading it!
lookin' real good :D :cool::cool::cool:

Enjoy. Please rememeber that the pdf's formatting is weak compared to mobi or a real paperback...

Caesar
02-10-2015, 09:59 PM
I cannot judge Your tale as a writer, but its illustrations by You are utmost appealing and well executed. Bravo!!:cool:;) Welcome in this artistic café!

Victor Osaka
02-11-2015, 01:31 PM
Would you consider publishing a printed version with Amazon's CreateSpace? It is not terribly hard to do. It is just a matter of formatting. I'm doing a book right now as a matter fact.

We have another member (Sav Scatola) whose book The Ballad of Piggotty Wood is on Blurb. I have the hardcover version and love it.

I collect artistic children's books BTW.

cheers,

Victor

kenmo
02-12-2015, 07:48 AM
Awesome....:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::co ol::cool:

MichaelBlackbourn
02-12-2015, 07:42 PM
Would you consider publishing a printed version with Amazon's CreateSpace?

Victor, I would consider it!

The print version is stunning

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-X45Xkffwpmg/VNxG_L3jFYI/AAAAAAAAEcM/B-_OiGCP5-Y/s280/IMG_20150211_221750.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-MFlqIvpOadE/VNxHDBlPPCI/AAAAAAAAEcU/gcBACtxGxq0/s280/IMG_20150211_222014.jpg

Amazon link to paperback edition:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00T2T9PYW/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1423723266&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&keywords=cindercast+paperback

Collect away! :)

Artrage was a fantastic tool to do the art for my book.

Rachelle
02-12-2015, 07:46 PM
Congrats Michael !!

Still reading on, and savoring it:)

Victor Osaka
02-12-2015, 08:44 PM
Oh cool! I did not see on Amazon before as a paperback. I just placed an order for the paperback! Yipee!

Caesar
02-13-2015, 12:00 AM
Could it be purchased also in .pdf somewhere or can it be found on the Book Depository?? I wouldn't pay a shipping price which would probably be higher than the book price (seen it on Amazon which makes You pay orders below 19€).
May i ask You also how You published it? An online printing/ selling site?

MichaelBlackbourn
02-13-2015, 05:08 AM
Could it be purchased also in .pdf somewhere or can it be found on the Book Depository?? I wouldn't pay a shipping price which would probably be higher than the book price (seen it on Amazon which makes You pay orders below 19€).
May i ask You also how You published it? An online printing/ selling site?

Its currently available as an amazon kindle ebook (kindle app works on all devices) or as a print edition.

The print edition is published through create space. Its a print on demand company, while the quality is not yet up to full offset printing its getting very very close.

Caesar
02-13-2015, 11:04 PM
Thank You, dear mate!
So the kindle version would be read (or even printed) just like a simple .pdf without any conversion by any Pc or Tablet? No special reading device then.

MichaelBlackbourn
02-14-2015, 03:27 AM
Thank You, dear mate!
So the kindle version would be read (or even printed) just like a simple .pdf without any conversion by any Pc or Tablet? No special reading device then.

I'm not sure about printed but Amazon has provided the kindle app on pretty much every platform. IOS, android, windows...

MichaelBlackbourn
02-14-2015, 05:36 AM
And just because I'm still impressed by how it turned out (does this feeling ever fade?) I'm posting one more shot.

Ollie, my hero, who is only a quarter inch tall is seen here leaping from a barnacle while holing into her crab sidekick. Since she's so light she can just fling out a thin line that will catch the wind and carry her aloft, like a parachute.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-_1Fduwemfm4/VN4mLV_-53I/AAAAAAAAEdg/5xl3kJy0CYE/s600/IMG_20150211_232510.jpg

Victor Osaka
02-14-2015, 10:55 AM
Hey, that was fast. I just received my printed copy via Amazon!

What a lovely story. The cover is beautiful as is the interior illustrations. So, well written. The first page hooks you right away! My favorite image (aside from the cover) is on page 93.

Did you create the interior images as colour or monochrome? And what resolution did you work at? 300DPI at 8x10 perhaps?

MichaelBlackbourn
02-14-2015, 05:02 PM
Hey, that was fast. I just received my printed copy via Amazon!

What a lovely story. The cover is beautiful as is the interior illustrations. So, well written. The first page hooks you right away! My favorite image (aside from the cover) is on page 93.

Did you create the interior images as colour or monochrome? And what resolution did you work at? 300DPI at 8x10 perhaps?

I'm glad you enjoyed it! Please leave a review at amazon, and if you don't mind post on whatever social media you use. Exposure is the hardest thing with an indie published book.

Its very cool Amazon could get it to you that quickly, each on is printed as they are ordered. Very cool technology.

I'm also glad you have a favorite illustration, I don't have the paperback in front of me so I have to guess that its one of The two with the green crab near the end.

The interior art was drawn at 8.5x11 and then scanned at 300dpi, then resized down to 5x8 300dpi and I painted them for the grey watercolor values in artrage.

D Akey
02-16-2015, 08:53 PM
What a spectacular illustration! Very nice! :):):):):):cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::):):):):)

So they print them as they get orders. Fascinating.

MichaelBlackbourn
02-19-2015, 05:20 PM
What a spectacular illustration! Very nice! :):):):):):cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::):):):):)

So they print them as they get orders. Fascinating.

Thank you for the kind words regarding the art. Yes, createspace is very cool.

MichaelBlackbourn
02-27-2015, 05:12 PM
My book is free on Amazon for Thursday and Friday (26 + 27 Feb)

Grab a copy!

Leave a review!

http://www.amazon.com/Cindercast-Tale-Tides-Michael-Blackbourn-ebook/dp/B00T2T9PYW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423107814&sr=8-1&keywords=cindercast

MichaelBlackbourn
02-28-2015, 03:30 AM
I was interviewed about my book:

http://daniduckart.blogspot.ca/2015/02/interview-with-michael-blackbourn.html

Check it out!

Caesar
02-28-2015, 04:51 AM
Got it, thank you!

MichaelBlackbourn
02-28-2015, 03:42 PM
Got it, thank you!

No problem, if you enjoy it please leave a review on Amazon.

Victor Osaka
02-28-2015, 07:33 PM
I was interviewed about my book:

http://daniduckart.blogspot.ca/2015/02/interview-with-michael-blackbourn.html

Check it out!

Very Cool!

vandra
03-01-2015, 07:00 PM
I just love this. It tells a story on it's own :)

MichaelBlackbourn
03-02-2015, 04:42 AM
I just love this. It tells a story on it's own :)

Im glad you love 'this'. But what is 'this'? Are you talking about the interview?

vandra
03-02-2015, 08:14 PM
Oh sorry. I mean the cover, the painting on the first page of this thread :o

MichaelBlackbourn
03-03-2015, 08:25 PM
Oh sorry. I mean the cover, the painting on the first page of this thread :o

I liked the mystery in it. The silhouettes of my little heros.

D Akey
03-04-2015, 04:53 AM
What a great interview! Very juicy concept. Bravo!

MichaelBlackbourn
03-04-2015, 05:19 PM
What a great interview! Very juicy concept. Bravo!

Thanks! Its been fun to work on. And impossible for me to do without artrage.

MichaelBlackbourn
05-29-2015, 05:09 PM
I was interviewed by ArtRage about my book. Check it out:

http://www.artrage.com/artist-feature-michael-blackbourn/

Fashmir
05-30-2015, 08:58 AM
This is fantastic work! I plan to buy a copy. So fun! My granddaughter just turned six and I think this would be perfect for us to read together. Well done!!!

D Akey
05-30-2015, 02:12 PM
Ah! That CGI job (super impressive) explains perhaps the style of drawing -- having looked more than a little at wireframes, giving you the notion of breaking up space on a surface, as for instance for the crab. . . a little contour, a little mapping and of course the outline. I think it does the job admirably. Has a cool effect. Anyway, I am most impressed all around. Paratrooper -- clearly you have no problem with the concept of just jumping in!

Congrats on the interview as well. A good one.

MichaelBlackbourn
05-31-2015, 05:10 PM
This is fantastic work! I plan to buy a copy. So fun! My granddaughter just turned six and I think this would be perfect for us to read together. Well done!!!

I hope you enjoy it! Both the kindle and paperback formats turned out great, you can't go wrong

MichaelBlackbourn
05-31-2015, 05:12 PM
Ah! That CGI job (super impressive) explains perhaps the style of drawing -- having looked more than a little at wireframes, giving you the notion of breaking up space on a surface, as for instance for the crab. . . a little contour, a little mapping and of course the outline. I think it does the job admirably. Has a cool effect. Anyway, I am most impressed all around. Paratrooper -- clearly you have no problem with the concept of just jumping in!

Congrats on the interview as well. A good one.

Interesting. I'm not as sure its as influenced by wire frames ad you think but I'm glad you like the effect. It was fun putting together and using different line weights to pop out the silhouettes. There lots more tests and in progress stuff at my website. And yah, the paratrooper things helps here and there with motivation Www.cindercast.com