PDA

View Full Version : A collective 'Rage project #1

Rachelle
02-08-2015, 03:07 PM
:) :) :) Hi all, :) :) :)

I'm thinking of a fun collective project we could play with.

This is just a first draft to the idea, there is still room for optimizing it.

Here goes:

Someone would start a canvas, no matter how elaborate or minimal that starting point would be,

then post it here,

then someone else picks it up to add some work on it (by copying the .jpg image, maybe? or is there a way to pick up the .ptg file version here?),

and then post the augmented version here for someone else to pick it up,

and so on.

At some point, from comments, feedback and concensus, we could decide "when" the piece is "completed", and if we find it "valid" enough in artistic value, we could select a charity to which we could offer it as prize for a fundraiser. The ArtRager who ended up unknowingly "completing" the piece could be the one making the final selection of which charity it goes to.

Perhaps it would be good that only one participant at a time works on the piece, by "claiming" it in the comments. Or else we can find another way, allowing that many participants are working in different directions at the same time from any given start point (same iteration)...:confused::confused::confused: This could produce a multitude of different resulting artpieces, and I'm not sure how we would go about managing that (if "managing" need be!).

This is just a first go at brainstorming the project, so I'm not sure how we'd go about the printing and shipping to the chosen charity, but I'm confident we'll sort it out and tweak it appropriately.

We could define a few criteria which we would like to see respected.

For one example, I would like a criterion where each participant wouldn't try to hide whatever pigments were already on the canvas, but rather "work with it" and make the best of it. Some covering of pigments can and will end up happening, of course, if only by trying to blend some new pigments with prior ones, and even eventually gradually cover a lot of what was there previously. My point is, we would enter this studio with a particular mindset, stepping up to this challenge of making the best of what is already there, working with it, working around it, as a process. Yes, lots of the prior pigments and composition might end up all covered at some point, but not in a one-shot deal.

This brings to mind in particular the Eraser tool - it probably shouldn't be allowed on someone else's participation, but could be used of course on our own bit of participation while we're working it, if we first work our part on a separate layer.

This type of project would emphasize team-work, aiming at a win-win for all individuals and for the team, for the resulting work.

We would decide beforehand if a participant may work at one canvas more than once.

There would be no style or genre restriction. Mixing of techniques and styles/genres are welcome. And more challenging!

Every participant would implicitely renounce any individual ownership or copyright of the "collective work resulting of all those compounded and melded pigments from individual participants", those pigments having become melded into a "collective something else than the initial assembly of pigments by individual participants". However, if one were to have saved a layer or a copy or a duplicate or an original-before-duplicate of what pigments they put down on the collective canvas, this production resulting strictly from that individual artist would still be "owned" by said participant artist, apart from the "collective result owned by no individual".

Or, still with the fun and challenge notions,
we could think bigger, in the eventuality that this collective artwork would become so famous and praisable and potentially valuable, and plan a clause for such eventuality, where we would make this artwork a limited edition of two "original prints", one which would go to the chosen charity, and the other to the highest bidder. ;););) And from that standpoint we could also plan for another (limited? open?) edition of prints, for instance at a different size than the "original 2/2 edition". These eventual sales' profits would be divided between all participants who would opt in for this option (opting out of it would of course be available). After all, who knows, we might even end up earning a few pennies from this!:D:D:cool::cool::cool:

We could even have more than one canvas/artwork going in parallel, in different threads.

This is all in good fun, camaraderie, and challenge.
And of course, respect.

This is not the thread where to start such a project canvas, this is just the platform for brainstorming the idea.

This may end up as a big flop even before any canvas ever starts, lol.

This may end up taking YEARS before any sense of completion (by consensus) is reached.

Who knows!

...and... Who's up for a challenge?

More ideas?

Questions?

Feedback?

:)

----
Edit - Feb17 - I added #1 in the title.
:)

Bobbi
02-09-2015, 04:25 AM
This could be very interesting. A mosaic of the talent of the ArtRagers combined.

Enug
02-10-2015, 01:38 AM
I took part in something like this when belonging to a Paintshop Pro users group. First members were asked show interest in a proposed challenge - then a theme was chosen (or was it the other way around?) anyway, the initial image, say a beach scene, was sent to the first person on the list - they would add their embellishment and pass it on to the next person on the list. This image would be zipped in layered format before sending on.

They were fun and I would be prepared to take part in a painting challenge along the lines you suggest.

Caesar
02-11-2015, 02:52 AM
OK, I would start with a scenario I prepared many years ago (with the initial AR edition) and which may suggest already a mood, a palette and a lighting for the painting to come ... :rolleyes: I hope You may like it and finding it inspiring as well.

HannahRage
02-11-2015, 10:26 AM
We highly encourage collaborative projects! This sounds like it will be fun to watch.

[SIZE=2]

then someone else picks it up to add some work on it (by copying the .jpg image, maybe? or is there a way to pick up the .ptg file version here?),

It should be quite easy to share the PTG file. It may get a bit large, of course, but Dropbox and similar filesharing services will probably work fine (except for people on limited internet - may be worth keeping it at a certain canvas size).

Perhaps start it and see what happens, then learn from the first one? People could put their hand up to take the next shot, the previous poster can nominate someone if there are multiples, and it can move onto another person if they don't respond within a certain amount of time, to avoid people wandering off and stalling the entire project (you could always come back and ask for it again).

Rachelle
02-11-2015, 03:35 PM
:cool: Cool! :cool:

:) Bobbi, Enug, Caesar :D

Thanks for the feedback, fellow 'Ragers, this is great!

Hannah :)
Thank you for the encouragements, the tech tips about Dropbox, and also about keeping the size relatively comfortable (canvas not too voluminous).

Gracias for the suggestions on how to "pass the torch" to another 'Rager - grab or nominate, etc.
Also yes, let's not get bogged down with perfecting the rules, we can very well start a first canvas as a "beta" project, lol, to test run the notion, and refine the terms if need be.

Caesar!
Great of you to have provided the first canvas! Grazie!

Suggestions are still welcome of course, and let's get this party bus on the road right now!

Who wants first pick at Caesar's canvas?
Or, Caesar,
do you wish to nominate someone, and we determine a reasonable deadline for that member to acknowledge with accept/decline?

Whichever happens first!
Someone grab the canvas (state your claim in a post here), or Caesar nominates someone.... roll the drums!

Suggestions are welcome on the notion of determining a reasonable deadline for "accepting the torch"!

;):cool::)

Caesar
02-12-2015, 02:33 AM
Well, looking to the willing participants this far, I would see June/ Enugpaint the second step (or layer or whatever), while I'm sure You, Rachelle may add to colors and lighting Your kaleidoscopic touch of shaped translucencies and transparencies and Bobbi textural and metallic/ 3D like effects out of her magical wand.
I've no doubt that for a bewildering humor content we may address Eighty+ . I wouldn't miss Alexandra's fabulous and original contribution to the story and characters, Jean's contribution to the mood or Robyn's professional artistic skills for a painterly and well composed outcome. i would indicate also many other mates and friends I now see only rarely or no more here since sometime ...
Anyway I hope I kicked the ball and I guess the second step

Bobbi
02-12-2015, 08:46 AM
Okay, help a block head like me. How do I grab Caesar's painting to add to it?

Bobbi
02-12-2015, 09:42 AM
Here is a contribution to this group fun.

justjean
02-12-2015, 11:35 AM
and here's another addition :D

Bobbi
02-12-2015, 01:21 PM
Too funny. ;)

Enug
02-12-2015, 07:12 PM
Fun additions - had to scratch my head and came up with curtains for the window. If you would like the painting in layers, (you may want to move the curtains to put something underneath) - you can download it from http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=56279569289753975159

Or copy/paste for the merged painting

Rachelle
02-12-2015, 07:25 PM
:D Très cool! :cool::cool:

This is gonna be fun indeed, and yes, funny!

Bobbi, justjean, how did you manage to grab the canvas?
From copying the .jpg,
or
rather by inboxing the info to a Dropbox type of filesharing service for the original .ptg file?

If a filesharing service,
is it a box we can re-use, one 'Rager after the other?
If so, should we share the procedure to that box publicly, or just by our personal inbox here?
(handing privately the "mailbox key" to the next 'Rager)

I hope to find some time soon to put my hand on it too. Just not right yet - too busy!

Who's next?

Keep on with the fun!:D:D:D:D:D

Enug
02-12-2015, 07:31 PM
Just as well we are using this as a practice. I think I've got it right now.:o

Rachelle
02-12-2015, 07:33 PM
:) Howdy Enug :)

sorry I hadn't seen you above, while I was writing.

I don't see your attachement 85485 when I click on it; I get a message saying:

Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator.

I didn't yet try your filesharing link, I will need more time and focus to sort how that works (I should be in bed!).:p:o

Edit:
Ha! LOL now I see your jpg file - the image is shown above now - no need to click for an Attachment.
Very interesting stuff! This project is getting "funner" by the minute.;)

Enug
02-12-2015, 07:37 PM
Sorry Rachelle, I must have been editing the post when you looked - there was something on the curtains which shouldn't have shown so I had to do a bit of surgery and post again.:o

Rachelle
02-12-2015, 07:44 PM
Nice going Enug, you started decorating Caesar's palace :o

Was it the curtain's price tag, you had forgotten to remove?

Enug
02-12-2015, 08:04 PM
You guessed it!;)

Caesar
02-12-2015, 09:51 PM
Well done, dear Bobbi and June! There's atmosphere, some decorations and a population matching the scenario pretty well this far. Now we should squeeze our brain to get some sort of protagonist and story I presume, so I hope someone else would take the baton and proceed with this race ...
Mrs. Rachelle is a perfect host for this performance/ event, welcominga and encouraging us all.
Thanks for the ongoing fun, dear ladies!

Enug
02-13-2015, 01:50 AM
I'm expecting Red Saucers to come up with something scary lurking in the shadows.:eek:

Orkhan
02-13-2015, 02:19 AM
Nothing fancy... just chillin

Caesar
02-13-2015, 02:55 AM
Thank You, dear Orkhan, for adding such a weird character!:eek: :cool:

What about adding a to-be-married-daughter to this monstruous, placid Addams-like fakir? :o;) This would be a most typical contribution by a naughty boy like me. LOL:p:D
I just had to recover from an old painting of mine and clean her up from the surroundings .... added as a cell and adjusted to fit (size, lighting and transparency).
We may re-use it also for an Halloween card I guess ....

Orkhan
02-13-2015, 02:59 AM
I guess that would be this domestic-Dracula's wildest dream ;) ;) ;) .... the ideea come so fast to me that i used only the mouse to draw it (as i don't have a tablet at the office) :o

Caesar
02-13-2015, 03:12 AM
That's possibly why he's trying to recover his control by yoga and trascendental meditation ... LOL;):o

Alexandra
02-13-2015, 12:44 PM
Hi Rachelle, looks like a lot of fun. I downloaded the picture, I will try to upload it soon.;)

Caesar
02-13-2015, 11:59 PM
Alexandra onboard too? Hyippieeee! :cool:

Alexandra
02-14-2015, 03:26 AM
Alexandra onboard too? Hyippieeee! :cool:
Thanks Cesare, I love your drawing. You are amazing. I hope it is okay that I drew on the moon too. I can upload another without the moon's face if I break a rule.:eek: I had the moon admiring your pretty lady. I drew the little boy running away, but it is too late for the lad.....it seems he will be running forever in this spooky house...

Rachelle
02-14-2015, 03:55 AM
:D Alexandra! :D

What a nice addition! I just got a chill though. :cool:

No worry, no rule broken with the smiling moon, it's perfectly "legal" to do an addition on some already present element. :D
A few possible examples: embellishments, highlights, adding detail to an element or a section, texture, these can be some ot the ways of "working with what is already there". This is not an exhaustive list, it's just to help define some guidelines.

;) Orkhan :)
Very cool occupant you've introduced into Caesar's palace. Beware of sunrise - Enug's curtains are not opaque.

:D Caesar :D,

Thank you for presenting us another resident of your palazzo.

Too funny! Quite a story developing here.

justjean
02-14-2015, 04:23 AM
Sandy, great to see your smiley moon face my cat seems to like it also :)

Alexandra
02-14-2015, 05:22 AM
Hi Rachelle, Thank you!
Thanks Jean, I meant to comment more when I originally posted, your cat is adorable.
I am enjoying all of the drawings. Orkhan, the yoga Dracula, fantastic. I will catch up soon. I hope more feel like joining in, Rachelle, great idea.

Orkhan
02-14-2015, 06:17 AM
Lot of fun here. I think we can agree that february 14 has some relatives "running free and wild" from the Halloween agenda... so Spooky Valentine's day to ya all! :D

Caesar
02-14-2015, 06:40 AM
Well done, dear Sandra! The moon looks far more involved now and the scared boy not yet knowing he's just a ghost, thus already dead, it's a quite brilliant and spooky insertion indeed! I clap my hands!:cool:;)

Enug
02-14-2015, 01:37 PM
We are feeling our way on this our first collective and it is taking shape in a wonderful way - great additions everyone!

RedSaucers
02-15-2015, 11:57 PM
Hi,

I am going to see what I can come up with today, and yes Enug I suspect it will be something lurking in the shadows :^)

RedSaucers
02-16-2015, 01:46 AM
Righto, I've added a ghost spectre thingy in the background, ready to unleash on that poor unsuspecting and trusting cat.

Alexandra
02-16-2015, 02:28 AM
:)Thanks Cesare.:)
Outstanding, RedSaucer! Love it!:cool::cool::cool:
Well done everyone.:cool:

Caesar
02-16-2015, 11:09 PM
Excellent, dear Redsaucer, considering how well Your ghost matches the scene and the lighting by candles and the moon ....:eek::cool:

Caesar
02-17-2015, 02:43 AM
There's still a place for another character maybe inspired by the first addition ...:o I hope it's not an excessive detour from the original idea ....

Orkhan
02-17-2015, 04:41 AM
Caesar, I think that's the ideea of an open project: no one knows where it goes (or hangs!) :D ... Now it would be great to have such a thing as infinite canvas.

Rachelle
02-17-2015, 08:27 AM
;);););););)
I'm cramped in two, tears in my eyes from laughing so much:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

:)RedSaucers,:) very cool addition!:o ...poor kitty.

:)Caesar,:D your sense of humour is delightful.

While this canvas might still be "updatable" for a bit more,
(we get a consensus of the participants about when this collective is "done"? I'll need to go read my first post again, lol)
we can start a NEW CANVAS anytime!

Anybody wants to start a new canvas for similar project -- give it a go!

I recommend starting such a new thread in this same "Arts Projects" section, perhaps naming the new thread something like "Collective ArtRage #2".

What say you all?
:o

Caesar
02-17-2015, 10:46 PM
Thank You, dear Rachelle! Actually I couldn't leave the bed empty so, also in consideration of the beauty on the left, I thought an metamorphically enchanted prince ;) would fit too and fill a little bit the composition space ...

NOW who's the next one to start the second fantasyland?

Rachelle
02-18-2015, 03:43 AM
:) Caesar :),

What a cutie wannabe-prince!

Just wondering,
which "beauty on the left" is he contemplating, for upgrading his appearance?:confused::rolleyes::D

Mr. Beautiful D, in deep meditation?
or Red's white ghost spectre thingy?
or perhaps is it the candlestick-soon-to-mutate-into-twin-princesses??

I'm not declaring this canvas "done" -- I don't have that superpower! :cool:
It's a feedback and consensus process. And besides, there is still potential room for more additions here, although this potential isn't an obligation. Feedback is welcome about the state of completion, from participants and non-participants alike.

And about a canvas#2 new collective,
I'm gonna post a base canvas in a new thread, still in this Arts Projects section. It doesn't mean that this one here is finished!:rolleyes:

Caesar
02-18-2015, 03:53 AM
OK not finished, I know, but a second canvas kick-off doesn't require the first one to have an end I understand, so imaginations take off!;)

Rachelle
02-18-2015, 04:21 AM
Yes yes!
I just posted a second canvas base :cool:

:D Caesar :D don't worry, I was thinking aloud for anyone to hear, about my non-existent superpowers and the eventual declaration of completion, just to clear the air so there is no confusion about who what when where why ;):o

RedSaucers
02-19-2015, 12:53 PM
I decided that the foreground required a sprinkle of demonic child.

Caesar
02-19-2015, 09:10 PM
Ahahahah :o;), dear RedSaucer, Your additions are always particularly saucy and tasty! :eek::cool:;) You took back to a quiet disquieting mood this collective artpiece after my silly digressions. Bravo!

odemilson
04-30-2015, 03:05 AM
I was trying to find some time to collaborate wiith this... I think it is really amusing and there's my sci-fi-horror inspired robot/tentacle to collaborate... :)

juliediane
05-28-2015, 10:42 PM
Trying to remember how to post....... wow, it's really been a long time. Hugggs!86669

stephen pryor
05-29-2015, 09:11 AM

Caesar
05-29-2015, 06:54 PM
WOW. So much progress on this! Congrats everybody and welcome back, dear JD! :D