PDA

View Full Version : Village Dawn

jacktar51
02-05-2015, 08:54 PM
I may have posted this a long time ago, I did a fairly rough painting as an idea for use as a desktop picture that is why there are gaps top and bottom to allow for toolbars and icons etc, I recently recovered it and have detailed it a bit more so I now have my desktop picture as I first intended, hope you like it........regards to all.....Jack.

Caesar
02-06-2015, 11:24 PM
I just woke up ... what a foggy day! I'd rather sleep some more ...
Wonderfully atmospheric!

Enug
02-07-2015, 12:42 AM
How wonderful - great atmosphere. I imagine it looks great on your desktop.

justjean
02-07-2015, 12:57 AM
Beautiful scene of the dawn breaking on foggy morn

Albert
02-09-2015, 05:50 PM
wonderful .........:cool:

D Akey
02-09-2015, 06:39 PM
Cinematic, Jack-o. Oozing mood and story. Love the letterbox format as well. All the more emphasizing the cinematic feel. Plus it acts as a nice matte.

Marilyn Anne
02-10-2015, 09:49 PM
Lovely sleeping town.

kenmo
02-12-2015, 08:33 AM
Love this...it has a lovely mood, atmosphere and drama....:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

vandra
02-12-2015, 01:17 PM
This is a wonderful painting. I love the whole feel of it. It certainly exudes atmosphere.

Bertrude
02-12-2015, 11:11 PM
This is smashing Jack. Such a great atmosphere and I love how wet and reflective the ground looks.

jacktar51
02-20-2015, 11:34 PM
I just woke up ... what a foggy day! I'd rather sleep some more ...
Wonderfully atmospheric!

Hello Caesar,
Thank you for your reply, I was trying to give a cold and foggy morning look, so I am happy it came over to you that way, best regards to you ......Jack.

jacktar51
02-20-2015, 11:40 PM
How wonderful - great atmosphere. I imagine it looks great on your desktop.

Hello Enug,
Thanks for looking at my thread, I am reasonably pleased with this picture, but its lacking something , I may add a little more detail and perhaps a person or animal , something living, (If I change it ).........Thank you for replying to this post......Jack.

jacktar51
02-20-2015, 11:43 PM
Beautiful scene of the dawn breaking on foggy morn

Hello Jean, Thanks for your reply, I'm pleased that you like the picture......Jack.

jacktar51
02-20-2015, 11:44 PM
wonderful .........:cool:

Thanks Albert for looking in and for replying to this post......Jack.

jacktar51
02-20-2015, 11:56 PM
Cinematic, Jack-o. Oozing mood and story. Love the letterbox format as well. All the more emphasizing the cinematic feel. Plus it acts as a nice matte.

Hello D, I think I'm still improving, not always to sure about that though, I have added a figure to the picture and detailed the cottages to the left a little more, not too sure if this improves or detracts from the original picture, would be very happy to receive any comment you might have about this, I will post it below, Thanks for coming in on this thread D always appreciate any comment from you, best regards.....Jack.

jacktar51
02-21-2015, 12:01 AM
Lovely sleeping town.

Hello Marilyn Ann,
Thank you for your reply, I may have broken the peace a little by adding a figure who is very much awake, I didn't think of that, never mind the members will probably let me know what they think, so I better keep my fingers crossed , thanks for looking in......Jack.

jacktar51
02-21-2015, 12:03 AM
Love this...it has a lovely mood, atmosphere and drama....:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Hello Kenmo,
Good to see your still on the forum, thank you for looking in on my thread, and for your reply, much appreciated......Jack.

jacktar51
02-21-2015, 12:08 AM
This is a wonderful painting. I love the whole feel of it. It certainly exudes atmosphere.

Hello Vandra,
Thanks for your comment, I have just posted the same picture but with a person added , hope this doesn't kill the peace and quiet feel of the dawn, I will wait to see what the people think, thanks for looking in.....Jack.

jacktar51
02-21-2015, 12:11 AM
This is smashing Jack. Such a great atmosphere and I love how wet and reflective the ground looks.

Hello Bertrude,
Thank you for looking in, pleased you like the picture, I,m just hoping that adding the figure in the foreground hasn't spoilt the peaceful dawn look of the picture, thanks for your reply.....Jack.

Rachelle
02-21-2015, 10:57 AM
:) Jack :)
Both versions are beautiful, in their own way!
The figure you added gives the painting such a different feel!
In my mind, not one is better, just different, and both tell a different story.

D Akey
02-21-2015, 11:43 AM
Hello D, I think I'm still improving, not always to sure about that though, I have added a figure to the picture and detailed the cottages to the left a little more, not too sure if this improves or detracts from the original picture, would be very happy to receive any comment you might have about this, I will post it below, Thanks for coming in on this thread D always appreciate any comment from you, best regards.....Jack.

Right Jack! Looks great! The atmosphere is really thick and creates a wonderful mood and mystery and sense of depth. The diffused light is really good as well. Palette's nice. Detail and contrast in the foreground and where you want us to look -- all quite good.

Pose is generally nice, though it sort of looks posed. . . if I'm nit-picking. There's nothing ostensibly wrong with it. It's just a matter of story via body language and how theatrical and telling you want to get. He seems a gentleman. Clean cut, though with a beard, neat clothes, gloves are still white. He looks straight and upright which would indicate power. He's the opposite end of the spectrum, in my mind anyway, from Blind Pew. He's not about scull-duggery directly, though appearances can be deceiving and he could be a Von Frankenstein kind of guy with hirelings to do his dirty work.

His position in the composition is good, certainly correct. Can't go wrong with the golden mean. It's a placid piece, but knowing your penchant for drama, I expect this story to go sideways momentarily. I like his Jack Sparrow mascara. Makes him seem a little more silent movie era and theatrical.

About the hands, the one thing I would recommend is that you don't do fingers so separated. It's unnatural, like doing dark outlines around each tooth. It feels a little mechanical like you're counting fingers more so than thinking of a hand. So the dividing line between fingers needn't be so strong and you can bring the values closer like between the ring and middle fingers and showing more independence with the index and little finger -- although any variation of that would be fine, so long as it's not mechanical looking.

Other than that, it's great. And yes indeed you've come a long way. Bravo Jack-o!

Keep spinning those yarns, shipmate! :):):):):):cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::):) :):):)

Peter Pinckney
03-15-2015, 12:21 PM
Hey Matey!

I'm more drawn to the version with nothing but the cold dawn in the village................love it!

Atmosphere...............100%..................... ......feeling in the painting 100%.................GREAT WORK JACK!!!

:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):)

jacktar51
03-15-2015, 08:52 PM
Thank you all for your replies, special thanks to Mr D Akey who has given me good advice for a long time regarding my art work, also regards to mr peter pinkney who I have also great regard for over many years, thanks to everyone of you who have replied to this thread, your kind comments continue to encourage my efforts, I appreciate all of you, thanks.....Jack.

pat1940
03-17-2015, 09:58 AM
Jack, just fantastic paintings, always love to check your artworks out

pai
03-18-2015, 06:30 PM
Hi Jack, love to see your classic hallmark painting again. So different feel with and without the character. This one is my favorite of your recent works :)