PDA

View Full Version : Drskmishra

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Drskmishra
01-30-2015, 04:41 AM
An amateur by confession, never formally trained, have been trying artrage for sometime. Submitting my first attempt. Honest opinions from learned artists.

damasocl
01-30-2015, 04:52 AM
Un excelente inicio.
Bienvenido al foro, y esperamos más trabajos estimado(a) Drskmishra...
¿Qué recursos has usado acá?

An excellent start.
Welcome to the forum, and we expect most works dear Drskmishra ...
Which tools you have used here?

jmac
01-30-2015, 05:16 AM
There are a lot of really nice things going on here. Nice use of light and dark, nice understanding of shadows and highlights. Your color blending looks natural and well done.

Drskmishra
01-30-2015, 06:35 AM
Un excelente inicio.
Bienvenido al foro, y esperamos más trabajos estimado(a) Drskmishra...
¿Qué recursos has usado acá?

An excellent start.
Welcome to the forum, and we expect most works dear Drskmishra ...
Which tools you have used here?

Sir, I used oil brush, palette knife, crayons and occasional mark pens. Tried water color, but don't know how to mix colors by dripping down in artrage.

Drskmishra
01-30-2015, 06:37 AM
There is a lot of really nice things going on here. Nice use of light and dark, nice understanding of shadows and highlights. Your color blending looks natural and well done.
Sir, thanks for appreciations. Shall keep trying.

Bertrude
01-30-2015, 02:57 PM
I really like this, it's so effective and vibrant.

Drskmishra
01-30-2015, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the encouragement, shall try for better.

D Akey
01-30-2015, 11:02 PM
This is a very nice painting. I'm rather hesitant to critique your work since I don't know where you're heading. As has been mentioned there are a lot of very nice things about it. And there are styles that exist similar to this, so it could be just how you like it. And that's great. It reminds me of early-mid century American illustration among some artists.

Were I to make a suggestion, the thing that jumps out at me is the angularity of the composition. It makes this potentially organic image appear somewhat divided into blocks of color. Again, not a problem, if that's what you're exploring. But if you want to get a little more suppleness into it, You might want to introduce more curves into the composition. Also the areas of transition are given roughly the same amount of value and chromatic jump. So, if that seems interesting to you to look at, you may want to begin stretching your visual vocabulary to include, for example, sweeping areas of wash and spontaneity and then going back in and pulling out some accents -- adding trunks and so forth.

These are merely suggestions as a way to vary what you already have going on. Which is very nice.

Very happy to see you joining us. :):):):):)

Caesar
01-31-2015, 02:42 AM
Welcome! I see You already feel pretty confident with this software. Nice start!

Drskmishra
02-02-2015, 04:01 AM
This is a very nice painting. I'm rather hesitant to critique your work since I don't know where you're heading. As has been mentioned there are a lot of very nice things about it. And there are styles that exist similar to this, so it could be just how you like it. And that's great. It reminds me of early-mid century American illustration among some artists.

Were I to make a suggestion, the thing that jumps out at me is the angularity of the composition. It makes this potentially organic image appear somewhat divided into blocks of color. Again, not a problem, if that's what you're exploring. But if you want to get a little more suppleness into it, You might want to introduce more curves into the composition. Also the areas of transition are given roughly the same amount of value and chromatic jump. So, if that seems interesting to you to look at, you may want to begin stretching your visual vocabulary to include, for example, sweeping areas of wash and spontaneity and then going back in and pulling out some accents -- adding trunks and so forth.

These are merely suggestions as a way to vary what you already have going on. Which is very nice.

Very happy to see you joining us. :):):):):)

Sir, valuable suggestions, indeed, esp about the different blocks of color. Shall try to address it next time.

Drskmishra
02-02-2015, 04:02 AM
Welcome! I see You already feel pretty confident with this software. Nice start!

Thanks, sir, for the kind words of encouragement.

Drskmishra
02-02-2015, 04:11 AM
Rather quick with this second one, once again for comments/ suggestions please.

Caesar
02-02-2015, 11:54 PM
I liike the spontaneous brushwork and the palette. It looks like a sky or a wavy sea and it's pleasant to look at. You were probably testing also blending by knife, I presume, which is a good exercise to get credible tonal and hue transitions in the sky..

Drskmishra
02-03-2015, 03:35 AM
I liike the spontaneous brushwork and the palette. It looks like a sky or a wavy sea and it's pleasant to look at. You were probably testing also blending by knife, I presume, which is a good exercise to get credible tonal and hue transitions in the sky..
Sir, thanks again for your encouraging words, it also means I can keep trying!

D Akey
02-03-2015, 02:00 PM
Nice shapes. Good stuff!

Drskmishra
02-03-2015, 09:58 PM
Nice shapes. Good stuff!
Sir, thanks again for your observation. Let me see how I can improvise further.

Drskmishra
02-09-2015, 12:09 AM
Palaash flowers grow in our part of world during fall. Bright orange, hardly any foliage, mostly in the wild. Opinions on the work please.

D Akey
02-09-2015, 09:32 AM
Cool. The thing I would recommend you consider is how you're placing things on your page. Composition is how you fill your space and the relations between the various elements and the spaces between. What you want to consider is what you want to show. If you're showing the branches with the flowers, you may want to have the blossoms fill the page more rather than have so much open space below -- unless you are reserving that for text or something. If you are planning to use text, then you want to compose your design with that in place, or at least have a way to visualize where it will go.

If you want to learn more about composition, I would recommend that you seek out what photographers have to say about it because when artist's talk about composition, they have to take in many other considerations and usually fall back on old paintings, which you may not find relevant to what you're doing. And they do not usually talk about composition until after people learn to paint objects. But photographers look at composition immediately upon picking up your first camera because all you really need to do is to find a subject and frame it well.

Another word for composition if you're looking around for the subject in the art world is 'Design', although that covers many areas and not just for people trying to show how the world looks. Design goes anywhere from creating a functional thing like a set of dishes or television set all the way to decorating a room. But it also covers how things are placed on a page. And if you can narrow the discussion down to that specifically, you will definitely be able to learn something from artists' composition. But again, going to photographers will take you immediately to what I'm talking about.

There are lots of composition sensibilities and it becomes very personal. So my commenting on your picture specifically would not be useful. I could only tell you how I might compose it differently. But there are thousands of other ways to do it which are equally valid. The composition usually has to work with a style of painting. They're linked and one often dictates to the other in order to get the artist's vision onto the canvas.

An example of how composition relates to the style: If you crop in closer to the blossoms in order to feature them, you may then have a thought to showing the shape of the blossoms more in keeping with the actual flower. And then the shapes might suggest how you make the background more interesting to echo the sweep of the branch, and the sweep of the blossom. These are a couple design ideas where you take shapes and explore them throughout the picture. Hope this helps. And if it makes no sense to you yet, it will become apparent as you explore the direction more and you are playing with more of the concepts artists play with.

Good hunting. And as always, have fun with it. It's not a hard academic subject (unless you like hard academic study). The searching can set you on a path of discovery in which you draw things to yourself that are exciting and new. You will become like a kid in a candy store. I still am to this day on a path and I still feel as excited about new discoveries as I did when I was first learning art. It can be most fulfilling to discover the hidden designs in nature. And if they aren't there, you are permitted and even encouraged to improve on them.

You're doing great. And it's nice to see you're open to new ideas. Always healthy for an artist.

Drskmishra
02-09-2015, 04:23 PM
Sir, indeed valid points. Possibly flowers could have been brought closer to the foreground or more such flowers could have been brought in the frame. Possibly I got carried away by the beauty of these flowers, it's sheer delight to watch the skyline peppered with these red dots atop tall trees with hardly any foliage. Nonetheless, my work is worth your comments, and that's quite heartening. Thanks sir again.

Rachelle
02-09-2015, 05:50 PM
:) I love the vibrant colors! :) :) :)
Especially in this last piece, where your composition is bold too, which is consistant with your bold strong colors.

It's very pleasant already, and I'm looking forward to see more as you evolve in your explorations. D Akey's generous pointers might assist in sparking more discoveries (I'm gonna profit from those pointers too!)

D Akey
02-09-2015, 07:37 PM
Sir, indeed valid points. Possibly flowers could have been brought closer to the foreground or more such flowers could have been brought in the frame. Possibly I got carried away by the beauty of these flowers, it's sheer delight to watch the skyline peppered with these red dots atop tall trees with hardly any foliage. Nonetheless, my work is worth your comments, and that's quite heartening. Thanks sir again.

You speak with the sensitivity of a poet and that suggests you will continue to bring that voice to your paintings too with more and more articulation and experience. Glad you found painting. I believe it will suit you very well as the things you can say with it are infinite. And beauty is welcome if not needed in the world. Bravo!

Drskmishra
02-09-2015, 10:08 PM
:) I love the vibrant colors! :) :) :)
Especially in this last piece, where your composition is bold too, which is consistant with your bold strong colors.

It's very pleasant already, and I'm looking forward to see more as you evolve in your explorations. D Akey's generous pointers might assist in sparking more discoveries (I'm gonna profit from those pointers too!)

Thanks for your observations, shall try to improve more.

Enug
02-09-2015, 10:20 PM
I might sound like an echo because those vibrant colours appeal to me too. ArtRage is a place where we learn from each other. I will also learn from Mr.Akey's reply to you, so thank you for that.

Drskmishra
02-12-2015, 06:43 AM
You speak with the sensitivity of a poet and that suggests you will continue to bring that voice to your paintings too with more and more articulation and experience. Glad you found painting. I believe it will suit you very well as the things you can say with it are infinite. And beauty is welcome if not needed in the world. Bravo!
Sir, I am back again with more of these flowers and even more of your suggestions. Any better this time?

kenmo
02-12-2015, 08:33 AM
Cheers and welcome aboard. I'm enjoying your posts and look forward to more....

Drskmishra
02-12-2015, 09:08 PM
Cheers and welcome aboard. I'm enjoying your posts and look forward to more....
Thanks for being kind to my work.

D Akey
02-13-2015, 11:52 AM
Yes. Looks good! I can see what you're doing with your design and it's headed in a good direction. I get the feeling of joy in Nature. You're filling the space with variety. All good.

You may at some point want to begin also working on your brush control as well so you have more variations in your 'bag of tricks'.

Here's yet another idea to add to what you're already managing. I believe a strategy wherein you think in terms of large masses of shape and related color and values that you subdivide will help you get a handle on a whole bunch of different compositional ideas. It will simplify your strategy. And then when you have your large areas placed, you can then go in and add some articulation and details and thus bring them into a fullness.

Here are some compositions that are very clear. They're doing different types of paintings than you are here. But it may help you see how the space of the canvas can be divided up -- for the sake of discussion and an illustration of what might be something to consider.

There are a lot of things happening and I don't want to overwhelm you with this and that. But looking at paintings and lingering and wandering through them is pleasing as a viewer. And as a painter, the artists are speaking to you about what they are doing and how they are achieving the things they want you to see. Notice the areas within the painting. See only that.

Try not to look at the details right away. And then, once you get the full impact of the setting, you can then begin to break it down into details.

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&tbs=rimg%3ACa4Y6UIafm_1gIjjSzMetMfEptaytZxjH6UV-ec09VBU_1jqHOh8oLhCYw15jqtN6xAHMUOCRuvfmJBM79VuXM7 jg4dSoSCdLMx60x8Sm1EVH2vzmtsuAZKhIJrK1nGMfpRX4RZ5A ygsl6qmoqEgl5zT1UFT-OoRG7-38kAhTczioSCc6HyguEJjDXESN1xRBz5noLKhIJmOq03rEAcxQ RCGNW34ePqvwqEgk4JG69-YkEzhH4lPI3fzRB8CoSCf1W5czuODh1EVI6DBmHV8M-&q=composition%20painting%20landscape&ei=Nx_dVKV5jcuwBMXWgtAN&ved=0CAkQ9C8wAA

Good job! Keep going! Enjoy the walk through your forest. It's a lovely journey.

Drskmishra
02-13-2015, 03:42 PM
Yes. Looks good! I can see what you're doing with your design and it's headed in a good direction. I get the feeling of joy in Nature. You're filling the space with variety. All good.

You may at some point want to begin also working on your brush control as well so you have more variations in your 'bag of tricks'.

Here's yet another idea to add to what you're already managing. I believe a strategy wherein you think in terms of large masses of shape and related color and values that you subdivide will help you get a handle on a whole bunch of different compositional ideas. It will simplify your strategy. And then when you have your large areas placed, you can then go in and add some articulation and details and thus bring them into a fullness.

Here are some compositions that are very clear. They're doing different types of paintings than you are here. But it may help you see how the space of the canvas can be divided up -- for the sake of discussion and an illustration of what might be something to consider.

There are a lot of things happening and I don't want to overwhelm you with this and that. But looking at paintings and lingering and wandering through them is pleasing as a viewer. And as a painter, the artists are speaking to you about what they are doing and how they are achieving the things they want you to see. Notice the areas within the painting. See only that.

Try not to look at the details right away. And then, once you get the full impact of the setting, you can then begin to break it down into details.

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&tbs=rimg%3ACa4Y6UIafm_1gIjjSzMetMfEptaytZxjH6UV-ec09VBU_1jqHOh8oLhCYw15jqtN6xAHMUOCRuvfmJBM79VuXM7 jg4dSoSCdLMx60x8Sm1EVH2vzmtsuAZKhIJrK1nGMfpRX4RZ5A ygsl6qmoqEgl5zT1UFT-OoRG7-38kAhTczioSCc6HyguEJjDXESN1xRBz5noLKhIJmOq03rEAcxQ RCGNW34ePqvwqEgk4JG69-YkEzhH4lPI3fzRB8CoSCf1W5czuODh1EVI6DBmHV8M-&q=composition%20painting%20landscape&ei=Nx_dVKV5jcuwBMXWgtAN&ved=0CAkQ9C8wAA

Good job! Keep going! Enjoy the walk through your forest. It's a lovely journey.

Sir, thanks again for your suggestions. Went to the link and found a lot to read and assimilate. Will take time to go through. Subdividing the frame is what I need to implement. Control of brushes is something I have to learn. Painting foliage with wide comb like brush is a challenge, how do you do it in Artrage? Thanks once again for looking at my unprofessional stuff!

Caesar
02-14-2015, 12:21 AM
You go on pretty well working with Your bright, lovely palette!
Now you may possibly excercise also more on tones and composition too so as to add volumes and depth to Your colorful outcomes.

Shaer
02-14-2015, 02:43 AM
This is so nice ! Thanks !

Drskmishra
02-14-2015, 03:14 AM
This is so nice ! Thanks !

Thanks for paying attention to it.

D Akey
02-14-2015, 09:16 AM
Sir, thanks again for your suggestions. Went to the link and found a lot to read and assimilate. Will take time to go through. Subdividing the frame is what I need to implement. Control of brushes is something I have to learn. Painting foliage with wide comb like brush is a challenge, how do you do it in Artrage? Thanks once again for looking at my unprofessional stuff!

Wide comb brush? Not sure what that is, but there are lots of brushes with various settings. If there has ever been regular requests for features, brushes is one that is very common to have requested. And of course, there are lots of them downloadable from users as well.

The other thing you could try where there is a lot of flexibility is stickers.

Be patient. There's is an endless world of art styles and ideas and tools and tricks. People have been painting since we were all in caves, and that's just what we know about. And there will be new things coming that have not yet been discovered. You may be one of the ones to show us all something new. Take it a little at a time. Proficiency comes with experience, it's not an end point. Just enjoy the journey. Art is a vast landscape to navigate.

You'll see countless ways to paint trees, I guarantee it. Pick what you like and start imitating it. Or look up a tutorial and try it on for size.

There are no wrong answers. All I can do is point you generally in the direction I know. Others have their ways. All are valid.

Enjoy! And I look forward to seeing what you do. You are off to a great start. :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::):):):):):cool::coo l::cool::cool::cool:

Rachelle
02-15-2015, 08:22 PM
:) Drskmishra :)

Your studio (here) is such a warm generous space to visit, with many returns. It's wonderful to see your eagerness and passion. Thank you for opening your door to us.

justjean
02-15-2015, 08:49 PM
Welcome to the group :) Looks like your having a great time with your ArtRage adventure

Drskmishra
02-16-2015, 02:36 AM
Welcome to the group :) Looks like your having a great time with your ArtRage adventure
Thanks all the senior members. Taking liberty to post another one, trying to incorporate suggestions on composition and all. Could not download stickers as advised, used pencil instead. Honest opinions please.

Drskmishra
02-16-2015, 02:40 AM
Thanks all the senior members. Taking liberty to post another one, trying to incorporate suggestions on composition and all. Could not download stickers as advised, used pencil instead. Honest opinions please.
Forests as I see them.

D Akey
02-16-2015, 09:50 PM
Wow! Great! Nice big jump forward! Makes me want to dive in. I look forward to many more like this and different, wherever the mood takes you. :):):):):):cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::):):):):)

Drskmishra
02-17-2015, 07:25 AM
Wow! Great! Nice big jump forward! Makes me want to dive in. I look forward to many more like this and different, wherever the mood takes you. :):):):):):cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::):):):):)
Thanks, sir for your modesty. Shall try to improve further.

Drskmishra
02-26-2015, 04:07 AM
After a gap, back again. Learning to do foliage. Shading and all. How bad?

Rachelle
02-26-2015, 07:28 PM
Yep, definitely, always pleasant to visit here. Very nice view!

Your colors are smashing! so much Sun in these two recent paintings. :o

Drskmishra
02-26-2015, 09:56 PM
Yep, definitely, always pleasant to visit here. Very nice view!

Your colors are smashing! so much Sun in these two recent paintings. :o
Thanks for encouragement, shall improve further.

Drskmishra
03-02-2015, 04:10 AM
Dewdrops on a rose petal

D Akey
03-02-2015, 11:08 AM
Delicate effect. Nice. :):):):):)

Drskmishra
03-02-2015, 08:59 PM
Delicate effect. Nice. :):):):):)
Thanks sir, trying another one on dewdrops.

Drskmishra
03-03-2015, 04:02 AM
Dewdrops, again! Any better this time?

Marilyn Anne
03-07-2015, 08:56 PM
A lovely colorful arrangement of nicely painted trees.

D Akey
03-08-2015, 08:20 AM
Nice. Believe it or not, water droplets are one of those things that one can do in around 4 or 5 steps. In breaking down the values you can control the illusion better without having to think about it too much once you know the trick.

Attached is a link to a very formulaic Water droplet on a leaf that works. You may want to look at it. There are a lot of ways to do it, but if you can break down what's going on from this photo, you will always be able to achieve the result I think you're after.

Think of it like a recipe for cooking. You do x, y and z and add seasoning in the proportion that enhances the basic food. You don't want to put in too much salt otherwise it becomes salty at the expense of the meat flavor or whatever. Similar with adding highlights and shadows.

Check this out. It's pretty clear what's making it work. Look at the proportions for the different values and why is it shaped as it is. Notice too that the highlight is over an area of shadow because it makes it appear glassy from the contrast where a little bit goes a long way. You have it going, and you're on the right path, only a little bit of adjustment will help you I think and then you'll have it perfect. Your darks could go a little darker and it will help make it feel wetter.

Hope this helps.

http://visionwidget.com/images/2012/2012-07/Photoshop-Water-Tutorials-03.jpg

Drskmishra
03-08-2015, 10:18 PM
A lovely colorful arrangement of nicely painted trees.

Thanks for your kind words.

Drskmishra
03-08-2015, 10:24 PM
Nice. Believe it or not, water droplets are one of those things that one can do in around 4 or 5 steps. In breaking down the values you can control the illusion better without having to think about it too much once you know the trick.

Attached is a link to a very formulaic Water droplet on a leaf that works. You may want to look at it. There are a lot of ways to do it, but if you can break down what's going on from this photo, you will always be able to achieve the result I think you're after.

Think of it like a recipe for cooking. You do x, y and z and add seasoning in the proportion that enhances the basic food. You don't want to put in too much salt otherwise it becomes salty at the expense of the meat flavor or whatever. Similar with adding highlights and shadows.

Check this out. It's pretty clear what's making it work. Look at the proportions for the different values and why is it shaped as it is. Notice too that the highlight is over an area of shadow because it makes it appear glassy from the contrast where a little bit goes a long way. You have it going, and you're on the right path, only a little bit of adjustment will help you I think and then you'll have it perfect. Your darks could go a little darker and it will help make it feel wetter.

Hope this helps.

http://visionwidget.com/images/2012/2012-07/Photoshop-Water-Tutorials-03.jpg
Sir, you are right. Will take a while to learn the trick as you rightly put it. Thanks again. Meanwhile posting some more work I did this weekend for your observations.

Drskmishra
03-08-2015, 10:28 PM
Water stream and waterfall

Drskmishra
03-12-2015, 10:43 PM
The rock and the forest. Suggestions please.

Drskmishra
03-12-2015, 10:46 PM
The rock. Suggestions please.

pat1940
03-13-2015, 08:51 AM
Very nice work and lovely colors, keep going

Drskmishra
03-13-2015, 02:41 PM
Very nice work and lovely colors, keep going

Thanks for your observations.

koalablue
03-13-2015, 07:09 PM
Welcome.
What a beautiful, colourful painting. It's beautiful and I hope to see more of your work too!

Drskmishra
03-13-2015, 08:52 PM
Welcome.
What a beautiful, colourful painting. It's beautiful and I hope to see more of your work too!
Thanks for being kind, shall keep trying.

Drskmishra
03-13-2015, 11:48 PM
Bondi beach, Sydney

Caesar
03-16-2015, 10:08 PM
Your practice is providing quite interesting outcomes and in each painting there's always a couple of colours You You use I like in particular.
BTW, You're no more a newcome now ... ;):o

Drskmishra
03-16-2015, 11:33 PM
Your practice is providing quite interesting outcomes and in each painting there's always a couple of colours You You use I like in particular.
BTW, You're no more a newcome now ... ;):o
Not a newcomer anymore, I am truly flattered sir!
Thanks a million for all your and everyone else's encouragement, shall keep doing the best I can.

Drskmishra
03-17-2015, 09:21 PM
More forests, more colors. Any good?

D Akey
03-18-2015, 06:59 PM
Good stuff! I love the beach as a way to get a very complicated image done with all that detail and so on. Almost like you are telling a story of your visit in a pictogram.

All looking quite nice! Very pleasurable viewing all these. Bravo! :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

vandra
03-18-2015, 07:36 PM
I like all of your paintings especially the vibrant colours. they are very cheerful.

pai
03-18-2015, 07:39 PM
Very good paintings and have style I see already. Beautiful works :)

Drskmishra
03-19-2015, 06:40 AM
Good stuff! I love the beach as a way to get a very complicated image done with all that detail and so on. Almost like you are telling a story of your visit in a pictogram.

All looking quite nice! Very pleasurable viewing all these. Bravo! :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:
Indeed sir, a pictogram, Happened to spend a lot of time on Bondi last summer. Thanks for your observation.

Drskmishra
03-19-2015, 06:42 AM
I like all of your paintings especially the vibrant colours. they are very cheerful.
Thanks for being kind to my attempts at painting.

Drskmishra
03-19-2015, 06:43 AM
Very good paintings and have style I see already. Beautiful works :)
Thanks for your observations.

Drskmishra
03-20-2015, 11:27 PM
Hollyhocks in my lawn. Suggestions please.

D Akey
03-21-2015, 02:48 AM
What a wonderful front yard you must have, and a great source for painting. Where I live here in California, they're really making everyone cut way back on watering and scenes like this are going to get more and more rare making such rich paintings of lavish gardens all the more appealing. But even based on its own merits, regardless of those considerations, it's really beautiful.

I love the array of flowers you've created. Nice design. I like the variations on the theme using scale and distribution around the canvas. And the details are a celebration of the character of the flowers.

The one thing I might comment on, and this is based on personal taste, is your investigating mixing colors and control over your values and saturation. Right now, everything is roughly the same saturation of color, and the values are within a certain spectral bandwidth. And there's a time and place for that. It's certainly not a bad thing as you have it. In fact, it's very good.

But to characterize it, right now you're design is delicate. No problem. But there are other choices for other paintings. If you ever wanted to experiment with using contrast more, it would give your paintings a slightly more dramatic quality. In a nutshell, if one starts out with some neutrality, then atop that when one puts in areas of stronger color, those marks then stand out more, and the tonal accents have somewhere to go. If you have everything bright and add something else bright, it will be more subtle.

If one chooses to make everything bright throughout the picture, it makes the painting's statement more one of an overall tone. Again, that's okay. It's merely a matter of the artist's taste and what they want to say and the voice they want to use. There's a time and place for everything. And this painting is quite beautiful as it stands and the quality holding the interest is in large part the compositional design and the way you're orchestrating the display of the flowers. I quite like it. It shows a lot of growth (pun intended). Excellent momentum. :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::):):):):):cool::coo l::cool::cool::cool:

Drskmishra
03-21-2015, 03:26 AM
What a wonderful front yard you must have, and a great source for painting. Where I live here in California, they're really making everyone cut way back on watering and scenes like this are going to get more and more rare making such rich paintings of lavish gardens all the more appealing. But even based on its own merits, regardless of those considerations, it's really beautiful.

I love the array of flowers you've created. Nice design. I like the variations on the theme using scale and distribution around the canvas. And the details are a celebration of the character of the flowers.

The one thing I might comment on, and this is based on personal taste, is your investigating mixing colors and control over your values and saturation. Right now, everything is roughly the same saturation of color, and the values are within a certain spectral bandwidth. And there's a time and place for that. It's certainly not a bad thing as you have it. In fact, it's very good.

But to characterize it, right now you're design is delicate. No problem. But there are other choices for other paintings. If you ever wanted to experiment with using contrast more, it would give your paintings a slightly more dramatic quality. In a nutshell, if one starts out with some neutrality, then atop that when one puts in areas of stronger color, those marks then stand out more, and the tonal accents have somewhere to go. If you have everything bright and add something else bright, it will be more subtle.

If one chooses to make everything bright throughout the picture, it makes the painting's statement more one of an overall tone. Again, that's okay. It's merely a matter of the artist's taste and what they want to say and the voice they want to use. There's a time and place for everything. And this painting is quite beautiful as it stands and the quality holding the interest is in large part the compositional design and the way you're orchestrating the display of the flowers. I quite like it. It shows a lot of growth (pun intended). Excellent momentum. :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::):):):):):cool::coo l::cool::cool::cool:
Sir, I understand what you are suggesting, a blurred background would look rational in it. But honestly, I could not do injustice to the bright screaming yellow flowers that is is creating a floral carpet of sorts! Sure I shall follow the advice in future, thanks for you valuable observations.

Drskmishra
03-29-2015, 06:01 AM
Forest, painted again. Any better?

justjean
03-29-2015, 01:11 PM
Great paintings, I really like the two foliage paintings a couple of pages back :)

Drskmishra
03-29-2015, 09:02 PM
Dirt road of Jharkhand. Skyline has undulating hillocks. For opinions from all please.

Drskmishra
03-29-2015, 09:04 PM
Great paintings, I really like the two foliage paintings a couple of pages back :)

Thanks for encouragement sir. Posted some more, please have a look.

Caesar
03-30-2015, 09:25 PM
I think all starts from some sort of appealing color in Your mind which triggers Your need to paint Your inner vision in a landscape, but it could be an abstract as well.
You seem to then enjoy and benefit from both the process and the outcome of such an activity and I think I can feel it in Your paintings.
Bravo!

Drskmishra
03-31-2015, 04:40 AM
I think all starts from some sort of appealing color in Your mind which triggers Your need to paint Your inner vision in a landscape, but it could be an abstract as well.
You seem to then enjoy and benefit from both the process and the outcome of such an activity and I think I can feel it in Your paintings.
Bravo!
Sir, thanks for your kind words, it should keep me going!

coops
03-31-2015, 05:24 AM
Really nice painting and love the canvas, well done:)

Drskmishra
03-31-2015, 04:05 PM
Really nice painting and love the canvas, well done:)
I'm honored, thanks for being kind.

Drskmishra
04-01-2015, 11:36 PM
Sunset, suggestions please.

Caesar
04-01-2015, 11:38 PM
The palette looks more like dawn instead to me and is marvellous ....

Drskmishra
04-02-2015, 12:21 AM
The palette looks more like dawn instead to me and is marvellous ....
Oh, really? Anyway, shall learn to do it better next time, but thanks for having a look.

D Akey
04-02-2015, 04:59 AM
WOOHOOOOO!!!!!!!! I love these. The seascape is marvelous with a personal voice very apparent -- all to the good. And the tree by the road is fantastic. The elements are all working quite nicely. Well done!!!!!

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::):):):):):cool::coo l::cool::cool::cool:

Drskmishra
04-06-2015, 12:50 AM
Mountain valley. Look forward to suggestions from all.

Drskmishra
04-06-2015, 12:54 AM
WOOHOOOOO!!!!!!!! I love these. The seascape is marvelous with a personal voice very apparent -- all to the good. And the tree by the road is fantastic. The elements are all working quite nicely. Well done!!!!!

Thanks a million sir, your kind words would keep me going.

BushcraftOnFire
04-06-2015, 05:41 AM
What a great painting for the first one done with Artrage.. I love the use of colors..

One thing sticks out to me though.. there is a white spot right in the center of the painting. I don't know if you meant for it to be there.. but somehow to me it just seems to take away from all of the beautiful use of color that you have. Maybe it's just me.. Very nice job in either case!

David

PS - And for the record.. I like the angularity.. LOL!

Whoa.. ignore this post.. I didn't see I was on page 1 of a 9 page thread! I was talking about the first painting on page 1. You have progressed nicely in the 3 short months since this thread was stared!!

Delofasht
04-06-2015, 12:59 PM
I had intended to respond to this thread. . . thought I had but must have closed that window before I was done typing. I really love that you have shared your work over the past 3 months and shown us how much you have learned, it's really impressive and inspiring to others, myself included. No matter how much better i get I realize I always have so much more left to learn, and seeing someone learning things inspires me to not be afraid to jump in and learn something new myself.

Only suggestion that I'd give that hasn't been touched on before would be to try adding a bit more color variation in your work. I've found mixing a palette of colors off to the side and picking from those while painting them in has helped my work considerably, I've got a ton of interesting colors that are placed with care each time and has given my work more depth and life I feel. In my current piece I am noticing that I'm struggling with green quite a bit, it feels so saturated everywhere that it feels wrong somehow. I suggest putting some less saturated slightly darker or lighter and slightly warmer or cooler areas in with your bushes and such to give them some depth. Aerial perspective applies to this for dealing with green things in the background picking up some of the sky color and desaturating while getting lighter in value. I guess the easiest way to say it would be use more greyed out colors in other areas of your painting to make your focal area 'pop' more. Good luck, if any of that didn't make sense feel free to inquire further.

Also I'll share my work in progress with my notes there so you can read how I'm approaching my painting and see some of how I'm building it up.

Landscape (http://forums.artrage.com/showthread.php?49061-Landscape/page2)

Edit: Someone mentioned that the sunset looked more like dawn, and I think that has a lot to do with how the eyes perceive colors at the end of a day, we tend to be more tired and see colors less clearly, also things tend to get redder in the evenings due to the sun's light passing through more layers of atmosphere which filters more of the light leaving more of the strongest spectrums of color (which tend to be reds) to pass through the atmosphere which is what we see. So people generally see sunsets as warmer and more orangey and reddish and far less saturated than they may actually be. Psychology meets art, it's fun!

- Delo

Drskmishra
04-06-2015, 02:24 PM
I had intended to respond to this thread. . . thought I had but must have closed that window before I was done typing. I really love that you have shared your work over the past 3 months and shown us how much you have learned, it's really impressive and inspiring to others, myself included. No matter how much better i get I realize I always have so much more left to learn, and seeing someone learning things inspires me to not be afraid to jump in and learn something new myself.

Only suggestion that I'd give that hasn't been touched on before would be to try adding a bit more color variation in your work. I've found mixing a palette of colors off to the side and picking from those while painting them in has helped my work considerably, I've got a ton of interesting colors that are placed with care each time and has given my work more depth and life I feel. In my current piece I am noticing that I'm struggling with green quite a bit, it feels so saturated everywhere that it feels wrong somehow. I suggest putting some less saturated slightly darker or lighter and slightly warmer or cooler areas in with your bushes and such to give them some depth. Aerial perspective applies to this for dealing with green things in the background picking up some of the sky color and desaturating while getting lighter in value. I guess the easiest way to say it would be use more greyed out colors in other areas of your painting to make your focal area 'pop' more. Good luck, if any of that didn't make sense feel free to inquire further.

Also I'll share my work in progress with my notes there so you can read how I'm approaching my painting and see some of how I'm building it up.

Landscape (http://forums.artrage.com/showthread.php?49061-Landscape/page2)

Edit: Someone mentioned that the sunset looked more like dawn, and I think that has a lot to do with how the eyes perceive colors at the end of a day, we tend to be more tired and see colors less clearly, also things tend to get redder in the evenings due to the sun's light passing through more layers of atmosphere which filters more of the light leaving more of the strongest spectrums of color (which tend to be reds) to pass through the atmosphere which is what we see. So people generally see sunsets as warmer and more orangey and reddish and far less saturated than they may actually be. Psychology meets art, it's fun!

- Delo
Thanks sir, for having had a look at my attempts to paint. I know I have a long way to go in color mixing and its tones. Tips from people like you have been a great help, look forward to more of them.

damasocl
04-06-2015, 03:10 PM
I admire your continuous evolution in this short time you posted your paintings.
And moreover, (besides) you go from less to more ... And that's admirable .. Congratulations!

Drskmishra
04-06-2015, 03:30 PM
I admire your continuous evolution in this short time you posted your paintings.
And moreover, (besides) you go from less to more ... And that's admirable .. Congratulations!
Sir, thanks a lot for your time.

scribbledsoul
04-07-2015, 07:18 PM
They just keep getting better and better! I love the fresh colors and bold vibe that you use, with lots of interesting texture. Very fun paintings! :)

Drskmishra
04-07-2015, 09:54 PM
They just keep getting better and better! I love the fresh colors and bold vibe that you use, with lots of interesting texture. Very fun paintings! :)
Sir, thanks for your observations. Shall keep learning.

Drskmishra
04-09-2015, 05:45 AM
Back again, with daybreak. Suggestions from learned artists please.

Delofasht
04-09-2015, 06:48 AM
I love this one, the value distribution of darker colors in the foreground to lighter colors in the background are nice, the style is simple yet effective, there isn't anything I don't like about it! Great job!

D Akey
04-09-2015, 08:04 AM
Really nice. The saturation works all the way around for me in this one. And I personally very much like the complement between the soft focus tone, as a background for the sharp pattern-like detail of the leaves, which are like color flecks, as well as the long lines of the tree trunks in the foreground and transitioning into the middle ground. It seems to imply a lot of depth that the detailed areas will be continued deep into the scene's background. There's just enough detail along the path to lead us into the setting.

So there's a lot of very pleasing balance in this one. Well done!

Drskmishra
04-09-2015, 01:38 PM
My gratitude to both of you for evaluating my paintings and coming out with valuable suggestions. I don't use any reference pics, just imagine and paint, and that may probably explain absence of any specific theme in any of them. But I enjoy painting and try to improvise on them every time. Just keep guiding me!

Drskmishra
04-10-2015, 05:50 AM
Posting my raindrops, suggestions please.

Caesar
04-10-2015, 09:20 PM
You're climbing nose-up while keeping Your style. An impressive learning curve indeed. You may put aside the term newcomer applied to You now ....;)

Drskmishra
04-10-2015, 09:41 PM
You're climbing nose-up while keeping Your style. An impressive learning curve indeed. You may put aside the term newcomer applied to You now ....;)
Thanks, sir, for the encouragement.

Drskmishra
04-12-2015, 12:20 AM
Hills of Jharkhand, new foliage appear at this time of the year, very bright and colorful. Trying to improve on highlights. Suggestions please.

Drskmishra
04-12-2015, 12:58 AM
Hills of Jharkhand, new foliage appear at this time of the year, very bright and colorful. Trying to improve on highlights. Suggestions please.

Delofasht
04-12-2015, 02:20 AM
Really excellent job on those rocks!

The highlights on the rocks read very well, some of that could be translated to the foreground trees as well, giving them more form will in turn make the entire image feel more unified, I would very sparsely highlight a few leaves in the 2 closest trees at the very tops and to the left or darken the value of the two trees very subtly except in very select areas. Also the saturation of your background and midground elements are very similar which is flattening the image a bit, the size of the trees tells us there is a difference in space, but their actual value (how light or dark) and saturation (how intense the color seems to be) are so close to the same that it's hard for the eye to tell the difference between the two spaces.

Still though, wow those rocks!

Sorry I don't have much for you on the raindrops, macro paintings are a bit more difficult to make in my opinion as we can't just use atmosphere and value and saturation tricks to create space, it's all reflection and distortion of color and light from the raindrops and that's so tricky both to paint from reference or imagination that I couldn't begin to try to explain it.

Edit: I realize this is actually a lot of information, if you'd like I can post a paint over with the changes made, and even the individual layers if you'd like to know how to do it in the future to images you've already made.

- Delo

Big-G
04-12-2015, 03:00 AM
Beautiful balance of colour and texture. Nice work. Keep 'em coming.

Drskmishra
04-12-2015, 07:22 AM
Really excellent job on those rocks!

The highlights on the rocks read very well, some of that could be translated to the foreground trees as well, giving them more form will in turn make the entire image feel more unified, I would very sparsely highlight a few leaves in the 2 closest trees at the very tops and to the left or darken the value of the two trees very subtly except in very select areas. Also the saturation of your background and midground elements are very similar which is flattening the image a bit, the size of the trees tells us there is a difference in space, but their actual value (how light or dark) and saturation (how intense the color seems to be) are so close to the same that it's hard for the eye to tell the difference between the two spaces.

Still though, wow those rocks!

Sorry I don't have much for you on the raindrops, macro paintings are a bit more difficult to make in my opinion as we can't just use atmosphere and value and saturation tricks to create space, it's all reflection and distortion of color and light from the raindrops and that's so tricky both to paint from reference or imagination that I couldn't begin to try to explain it.

Edit: I realize this is actually a lot of information, if you'd like I can post a paint over with the changes made, and even the individual layers if you'd like to know how to do it in the future to images you've already made.

- Delo
Sir, thanks for the suggestions, please do take time to redo and post the image. Am a keen learner!

Drskmishra
04-12-2015, 07:23 AM
Beautiful balance of colour and texture. Nice work. Keep 'em coming.
Thanks, sir for your observation.

Delofasht
04-12-2015, 08:02 AM
Sir, thanks for the suggestions, please do take time to redo and post the image. Am a keen learner!

Full .ptg with Layers (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B90bV4Vhwqj6NlN4aHdqWUxGTU0/view?usp=sharing)

There you go, only 10 minutes worth of all in Digital techniques used to give you and idea of what you could do. I didn't make a script of the changes but now that I think about it. . . that could be quite useful, maybe next time. I didn't spend too long making these changes, and I would consider applying these by hand with direct color choices as it will get a much more natural look than what I have done here, this looks a bit digital for my tastes in my work, but it gives provides a clearer understanding of what my terms are referring to and where very easily.

The full .ptg is available above for download showing all my layers and their individual effect they have on the base painting and why they work. Each one is set to a mode designed to remove saturation or lightness (value), or tint colors and values while retaining the value relationships (soft light). These aren't the only layer modes that can achieve these kinds of effects just the ones I like to use, I hope it proves useful for study. Also, if you have any questions regarding what a layer is doing or why feel free to ask.

Edit: It's shared through my google drive, anyone should be able to download the image from there just by opening the link and hitting download. I'm not sure if it's compatible with iPad version of ArtRage, when I get my iPad back from my wife I'll check.

- Delo

Drskmishra
04-12-2015, 03:40 PM
Sir, that was amazing. It sure will improve my techniques vastly as I can see it. Tried downloading the full layer ptg to understand but couldn't. Can you explain it further, I am on iPad artRage 3 and have no access on desktop artrage 4 version.

Delofasht
04-12-2015, 04:37 PM
I will have to check again to make sure the file is sharing properly, but it may not work in the iPad version I haven't checked as I use the desktop version. The iPad version doesn't have layer blending modes I do not think, so the effect I have produced would have to painted in manually which might take more time and effort than it is worth to be honest but you can use the layers in the iPad version to keep your different spatial elements separate. Putting the background on its own layer will allow you to paint over it with less saturated colors nearer the end by going back to that layer and just painting over it, the workflow is a bit different.

When working in as traditional a method as I can I try to keep stuff further in the background at a very low saturation and value, (basically closer to white and less color while tinged slightly blue for outdoor daytime paintings) and as I paint more elements that get closer with more saturation and value (getting darker and more vivid in color). There is a lot of reading I could recommend for improving but the one book I suggest everyone read is Creative Illustration by Andrew Loomis. It is an old book that has tons of amazing information and is eloquently packed from cover to cover with knowledge that was as true 60 years, or more, ago as it is now.

When I get back to my desktop I will ensure the .ptg is available by following the link, though I honestly have no clue if it will work with the iPad version or not.

- Delo

Drskmishra
04-12-2015, 09:47 PM
I will have to check again to make sure the file is sharing properly, but it may not work in the iPad version I haven't checked as I use the desktop version. The iPad version doesn't have layer blending modes I do not think, so the effect I have produced would have to painted in manually which might take more time and effort than it is worth to be honest but you can use the layers in the iPad version to keep your different spatial elements separate. Putting the background on its own layer will allow you to paint over it with less saturated colors nearer the end by going back to that layer and just painting over it, the workflow is a bit different.

When working in as traditional a method as I can I try to keep stuff further in the background at a very low saturation and value, (basically closer to white and less color while tinged slightly blue for outdoor daytime paintings) and as I paint more elements that get closer with more saturation and value (getting darker and more vivid in color). There is a lot of reading I could recommend for improving but the one book I suggest everyone read is Creative Illustration by Andrew Loomis. It is an old book that has tons of amazing information and is eloquently packed from cover to cover with knowledge that was as true 60 years, or more, ago as it is now.

When I get back to my desktop I will ensure the .ptg is available by following the link, though I honestly have no clue if it will work with the iPad version or not.

- Delo
Thanks for taking pains.

Delofasht
04-13-2015, 05:57 AM
Okay, so the file is openable by iPad ArtRage, and it does have it blend modes, you can change them by opening the layers window and clicking blend mode at the very top! Good stuff. As to it being downloadable, I can download it myself but I can't figure out if others can download it, and on what platforms. . . I notice that I seem unable to download things onto my iPad in just file form from browsers, so I'm not certain how to get this to you. If you have a desktop computer you could download it on there, put it in your own google drive, download google drive on your iPad, and open the file directly into ArtRage from google drive on your iPad, that is how I did it. I changed the permissions to allow this file fully accessible by anyone who can find it (whether by search or the link I provided). That said I'm not sure how I could get it to you otherwise.

Drskmishra
04-13-2015, 02:11 PM
Okay, so the file is openable by iPad ArtRage, and it does have it blend modes, you can change them by opening the layers window and clicking blend mode at the very top! Good stuff. As to it being downloadable, I can download it myself but I can't figure out if others can download it, and on what platforms. . . I notice that I seem unable to download things onto my iPad in just file form from browsers, so I'm not certain how to get this to you. If you have a desktop computer you could download it on there, put it in your own google drive, download google drive on your iPad, and open the file directly into ArtRage from google drive on your iPad, that is how I did it. I changed the permissions to allow this file fully accessible by anyone who can find it (whether by search or the link I provided). That said I'm not sure how I could get it to you otherwise.
Thanks, sir. I just found out blend modes! Let me try them, shall bring out something from it.

Delofasht
04-13-2015, 02:39 PM
Blend modes are quite handy for changing things in your painting without considering it until later, it's how you can edit any of your photos or paintings after having finished without needing to be quite as careful with brush strokes and such. Each mode has various uses, some are much more versatile than others but all have their applications. Good luck and enjoy!

- Delo

Drskmishra
04-14-2015, 10:22 PM
Countryside roads of Jharkhand. Trying to work on highlights and layers. Suggestions please.

Delofasht
04-15-2015, 03:31 AM
Looking good, makes me feel like I should spend more time painting outdoors.

Bobbi
04-15-2015, 04:42 AM
I am always drawn to paintings that have great colors and light play. Yours are a delight to the eye. Your style is very pleasing.

Drskmishra
04-15-2015, 05:37 AM
Thanks for your encouragement.

D Akey
04-15-2015, 06:29 AM
Good one! Have a seat and keep painting on this rock because it all comes down this road, after a fashion. You just have to grab it when it does.
Do you always paint out of your head or do you use reference? I thought I heard you make these up out of memory or whatever. My suggestion is to use reference and learn to observe, if you want to learn realism.

On the other hand, if you are painting out of your head because it's so vivid inside your mind, then you may want to consider ways that are less demanding of precision replicating the source, and get into stylizing your painting, working freer with where the materials take you. It's a bit of a fork in the road initially. All painting is good that you do because you're connecting your hand to your eye and mind.

So facility there is something you want. It's just a matter, as a beginning painter, to look around at what is possible both by looking at other people's work in many different styles to find one that you resonate with, and another way also is you can learn some mechanical things about how color and lighting work and how painters achieve those effects, and so on. Obviously rules will be more important with realism. But nothing is wasted. Just keep painting.

If you are doing this just for the joy of painting as you are doing it, then enjoy that. But if you want to get better, you need a clear idea of where it is you want this road to take your art.

:):):):):):cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::):):):):)

Drskmishra
04-15-2015, 01:54 PM
Sir, I get what you are saying. Enjoyment of painting keeps me going, but sure I need to improvise on basics. Let me see how far I can go in this, thanks again for your suggestions.

Caesar
04-15-2015, 09:10 PM
I like this peaceful countryside view and the road which invites us to walk and look for new horizons ...

Drskmishra
04-15-2015, 09:53 PM
f
Thanks, sir.

Drskmishra
04-18-2015, 09:52 PM
Posing my countryside landscape, it's very colorful with new leaves at this time of year. Painted in layers, trying to work from behind forwards. Tried to blend subsequently using options, but couldn't do foreground to my liking! Suggestions please.

D Akey
04-19-2015, 04:53 AM
Looks nice overall. But you are right to wonder what might be the reason the foreground is not what you were after. Sometimes we have to exaggerate and rely on formula thinking to make certain effects happen. You're doing them to a subtle degree, but it's still very close -- the variations indicating depth are not that evident because you have a light touch.

In this case, I think there are three ways to show depth that you could consider: Values (light and dark), Color (saturation and color temperature) and Perspective (using scale, vanishing and overlap).

I would point out that values serve artists, one instance of which is to show depth. Things that are dark tend to come forward toward the viewer, and things that are light, meaning things that don't have a dark component tend to recede.

Things naturally get bigger when closer. And overlapping shows which is closer. So artists will sometimes introduce a foreground element that works both to frame a picture in various ways, and it gives a starting point (close) that then by contrast makes other things recede as the scale diminishes.

Saturation and color = things get warmer as they get closer, and cooler as they recede (in exteriors whether it looks that way to the eye or not it's good to include for depth). But how you place your color in one area establishes what is happening elsewhere.

Artists break rules all the time either from not being aware of it, or they are trying to test limits. But rules work, so beginners would do well to follow rules and learn to exploit those things. There are so many things happening in paintings, so many choices going on, that following rules helps to keep it from getting overwhelming and getting to a point in a painting where you scratch your head wondering why something isn't quite right. It's a checklist of sorts.

Your painting isn't bad. There are a lot of nice things going on. I like the strokes and so on.

But you were asking so these are some of the key things that artists use. And what many of us do is check those things and assess what might be the problem and fix that. It's always best to incorporate those things at the start of the painting. It usually works. It sounds complicated, but once you do it a few times, it becomes second nature as you make your selections throughout the painting process and you are then free to go after that which motivated your painting in the first place -- the essence of the subject of your picture.

Drskmishra
04-19-2015, 05:33 AM
Absolutely basic tips, thanks sir for it. Shall try to incorporate them as I understand the concepts gradually. Shall look forward to more of these tips as and when from you.

Drskmishra
04-22-2015, 05:46 AM
Forests, again. Worked through layers, suggestions please.

D Akey
04-22-2015, 06:12 AM
Looks really nice. I can see you're incorporating many principles to good effect.

One thing to be careful of though is creating optical illusions. In your foreground red leafed tree, the trunk and branches look like they belong to that tree, but in fact they lead to a green tree that's farther back than the red. Thus, there is either no trunk for the red, or it jumped to the further tree part of the way up. I can also see some other overlapping issues where something closer goes behind something farther back. Look through it and you'll see.

That's a minor fix if you care to adjust it. You had so many things in your head when you were painting it was merely a small detail that got away from you. Happens to all of us where parts of our paintings become invisible and when we spot them with a fresh eye, you suddenly see it. One of the reasons for that is that we get focused on the work we're doing at that moment and the rest becomes complete in our mind so we just don't see it all.

Artists try all kinds of things to see their work in a different way just for that fresh look at their own work and spot those kinds of inconsistencies. They look at their work in a mirror, or set it aside and come back to look at it a couple weeks later. Or even if you're lucky, you have someone you can show it to who will point it out like a wife or the gardener. . . or online here.

Anyway, you're really getting a handle on this phase of your development. Good job!

:cool::cool::):):):):cool::cool::cool::cool::cool: :cool:

Caesar
04-22-2015, 07:30 PM
What an improvement! :eek:The same genre but a sensibly more effective outcome, decidedly more impressive. Thumbs up!:cool:

Drskmishra
04-22-2015, 08:05 PM
Thanks all of you for your encouragement. At least I'm learning! Long way to go, as I can see.

Drskmishra
04-26-2015, 07:40 PM
Green valley, worked again in layers, this time more confidently,for comments and suggestions please.

Delofasht
04-27-2015, 04:04 AM
Is your foreground and midground on separate layers in this most recent painting? There seems to be a lack of space between the two areas. The values, saturation, and colors of the midground trees (their leaves at least) are the same as the foreground trees (the ones in detail). The midground trees look smaller but don't have the other clues to tell me they are further away.

I'd put a layer between the two and brush in some light blue over the midground trees and set that layer to soft light to get an idea of how the midground could be pushed back (you can adjust the opacity of that layer to make it a bit more transparent if it's too intense). That should give a nice feeling of space between foreground and midground.

That is the what of the issues here, the WHY is because the air between the foreground and midground will be getting light from the sun and sky, thereby lightening everything we see between it and that which is closest to us. There are a few areas in the world that don't get much of this (where the air is significantly thinner) but for the most part this kind of effect happens consistently throughout the world.

Good luck, keep up the great work! You are learning a lot I can tell from all of this, and quickly too.

Drskmishra
04-27-2015, 04:49 AM
Is your foreground and midground on separate layers in this most recent painting? There seems to be a lack of space between the two areas. The values, saturation, and colors of the midground trees (their leaves at least) are the same as the foreground trees (the ones in detail). The midground trees look smaller but don't have the other clues to tell me they are further away.

I'd put a layer between the two and brush in some light blue over the midground trees and set that layer to soft light to get an idea of how the midground could be pushed back (you can adjust the opacity of that layer to make it a bit more transparent if it's too intense). That should give a nice feeling of space between foreground and midground.

That is the what of the issues here, the WHY is because the air between the foreground and midground will be getting light from the sun and sky, thereby lightening everything we see between it and that which is closest to us. There are a few areas in the world that don't get much of this (where the air is significantly thinner) but for the most part this kind of effect happens consistently throughout the world.

Good luck, keep up the great work! You are learning a lot I can tell from all of this I can tell, and quickly too.
Thanks for the suggestions. Looks like I need to work more carefully on the mid ground which slips forward every time. Thanks again, look forward to more tips in future.

Delofasht
04-27-2015, 09:46 AM
Just wanted to share what the little changes I suggest would do for your painting. First I desaturated the entire thing using a layer filled with black and set to color blending mode (this gives me a quick way to toggle on or off the saturation and see how the changes are going to look in values). Next I fill a layer set to soft light and fill it with light blue and erase out everything I want to keep saturated and darker in value, lastly I do the same on a saturation layer filled with the approximately something that's appears to be appropriately in the midground and isn't fighting for the same level of attention as the foreground elements. This is all about developing an eye for this kind of thing as there isn't really a formula for knowing when the difference is about right. We can notice that the values of the flowering orange blooms on the foreground tree are still appearing as though they are in the same area as the midground but the saturation of those flowers is much more so than the mid or background and so still pushes them forward.

This is nice because it can show what I'm suggesting without having to try to explain quite so much. I hope it's useful (and I'm going to be posting an update to my current WIP soon to show how I still need to consider much of this on my own work, so don't worry I'm still learning much myself ;) ). Good luck and keep up the good work. Really lovely paintings you are doing!

Drskmishra
04-27-2015, 02:52 PM
Thanks, sir for the elaborate procedure and demo. Good learning for me.

Delofasht
04-27-2015, 06:11 PM
Thanks, sir for the elaborate procedure and demo. Good learning for me.

No really, thank you, it's been a huge learning for me as well. I really hadn't fully comprehended it myself until after breaking this down, something about seeing the values and saturation shifts and specifically those saturated oranges on the foreground tree pop when the changes took effect that some new correlations suddenly clicked. I owe ya one! :)

vandra
04-27-2015, 08:22 PM
I really enjoy your style. Your paintings always feel very close to the trees - and I love trees :).

Drskmishra
05-04-2015, 02:18 AM
After some gap, back again with a rainy afternoon on street. Have tried this as a maiden attempt, all by my imagination. The sketch could have been better, looks somewhat cluttered. How do you work on reflections? Merging layers is painful on iPad version, just as you can't use stickers here. Request all to evaluate and guide for the next one.

Drskmishra
05-04-2015, 02:21 AM
I really enjoy your style. Your paintings always feel very close to the trees - and I love trees :).
Thanks for the encouragement.

D Akey
05-04-2015, 05:30 AM
It is very impressive for not having a reference. You ask how to do reflections, all I can say is consider observation as a method. Without a visual reference you're limiting yourself to what you already know.

There are countless ways to do reflections, each depending on surface materials and contours, light, colors, and technique. It's like asking how to paint water or animals. It's too big a category to have anything to work with.

Again, I have to suggest that you find something to look at and look at it, and try to process what you're seeing. Look at paintings that other people have done and observe what they're doing. Look at photographs and see what life presents.

I can see in your painting that you are trying to do reflections already as you would in painting a lake using a generic formula. It works to a certain degree, as I can see what you're trying to do. There's thinking there. But the forms are still vague.

Anyway, overall, there's some stuff in this that's pretty cool. What your imagination lacks in visual specifics, it makes up for in ideas. This is almost like a dream where you flesh out the idea mentally compensating for what's not there. One can't always count on other people being able to do it as they look at your paintings.

If you're going to continue to paint this way, which is fine, and certainly interesting as something to explore, you'll have to start taking into consideration things that make paintings interesting in a somewhat abstract way, almost as non-subjective, and work things like compositions and values and balance and those kind of things that are beyond subject.

And in this way, you may find yourself creating a uniquely personal style, which is something that many artists seek to do. You're already there in a way, and it seems as if you're drawn to a personal methodology by something inside you. I think that's very exciting. And like I say, some artists have to work really hard to hear that voice. And you have it from the beginning. People can teach you how to paint like themselves and in that case you run the risk of losing that particular personal voice.

What you have is something to consider the value of for you. The only thing lost that way would be that people may not be able to guide you. But you can be appreciated and encouraged. And you can always modify your approach at any point that it seems it's not doing what you want it to. Or you may find that it's perfect for you and that developing in that direction is the only thing that feels right. So that's your call and what being an artist is all about.

Let's listen to what others have to say as well. This post is merely one person's opinion.

Go go go!!!!!!

Drskmishra
05-04-2015, 06:42 AM
Oh, thanks a lot sir, your kind words always pep me up. And one thing for sure, I enjoy painting. Just keep guiding me through, thanks again.

Delofasht
05-04-2015, 07:25 AM
This is very nice, I like the atmosphere of it and it looks like you are starting to incorporate more atmospheric effect of luminance and saturation control in your background to foreground elements, bringing more detail and vibrancy to the foreground elements than background. All this from your imagination is quite a feat to be honest, and I think there is much to be learned from drawing and painting from imagination.

I would consider taking this painting further, a painting doesn't always have to be completed in one sitting, I spend several sessions with my work to get the result I'm looking for. Perhaps putting up a new layer above everything and redefining and enhancing some elements. As an example of how to better understand reflections try putting a mirror on the table in front of you then put a cup on the mirror, pay close attention to how the reflection of the cup and try to note how the reflection is working and why. It can be difficult to understand the why the reflection works that way but once you do you can start to imagine what would be reflected and how it would look. Good luck here, this is never easy and I'm actually about to start tackling that exact subject matter in my painting later today (finally getting over a cold that made it hard to think about such things).

Very good job on this urban painting from imagination, it's challenging and exciting subject matter. I really like the bright blue sign, almost looks like it's glowing.

damasocl
05-04-2015, 10:42 AM
Every day that passes I like more your paintings!;););)

Drskmishra
05-04-2015, 03:17 PM
Thanks a million, both of you, for having had a look on my work. My dining table has a glass top and I already can appreciate much of reflection from tumblers, fruit basket etc after your suggestion. Also, have been observing lot of paintings to understand things. Shall try to do better next time.

Drskmishra
05-05-2015, 06:26 AM
Here's another one, have tried to work on reflection after some understanding. Any better this time? Suggestions please.

Delofasht
05-05-2015, 06:50 AM
Looks to me like you have the idea pretty well for the reflections. I like all the exploration of your tools that you are doing, it's one of the best ways to learn your tools. Great job, just keep at it, more than anything from here forward it is all about asking yourself more questions than us and taking it to the finish you are looking for, I feel fairly certain all the major issues of perspective, color, and form have been touched on at this point. It's all about finding the look you like and seeing your work with your own eyes now. Everyone likes different things in their works, knowing what you like will make it much easier to know what you need to work on, and most of it should be evident to yourself if you ask the right questions.

I suggest making a list of questions based on your likes and then asking if you've met those, if you can't figure out how to achieve the answer then asking how to achieve that effect or if you are achieving it to others will prove very useful. Oftentimes when I ask for input I will ask for it about a specific aspect of my painting, like "Are the values working to push the eye towards my focal point?", getting an answer to that question is far more useful to me than any general information.

Edit: Example of list of questions to ask oneself: Is the perspective right? Is the pattern of light and shadow directing the eye where I want? Is the color contrasts and saturations providing the proper focal points and interests? Is the mood being represented in the way I want?

These are all just choices, the more aware you are of what choices you are making the better your results tend to be. Also knowing your tendencies often helps with understanding what you can do to help yourself.

Good luck, keep up the great work!

Caesar
05-05-2015, 07:26 PM
I like very much Your fluid, liquid, loose new explorations. Colors flow freely and richly outside firm boundaries in such a lovely way .....

Drskmishra
05-05-2015, 08:40 PM
Thanks both of you, my honor that you take time to look at my attempts so carefully and come out with suggestions. Shall continue to work for better, thanks again.

D Akey
05-05-2015, 09:43 PM
Very big jump ahead! Well done you!

Yeah, I can see how things have taken more form as a result of you having ideas where to go to get the effect you want. Now please figure out how to get some rain over here where I live! Your picture is the closest I've gotten to rain in some time.

I like the atmosphere and how you have things going into the distance. The linear perspective is alright. Not perfect, but for this kind of painting it's forgivable because precise mechanical correctness is not a key to the painting.

My suggestion is to be mindful of your relative scale for the elements you included. For example, the figures dwarf some of the vehicles. Again it's not bad, because it has a somewhat impressionistic flavor and it feels like speed was a feature in getting the image down. Whether it was or not is immaterial because that's the impression it gives.

I would also consider your light sources and perhaps when you are farther along you can play with lighting where the light sources are the brightest and the light emanates out from those lights. So those really tall lamp posts might be brighter. But again it's not offensive because it fits with the overall look. And we get the general idea of what's going on in the scene pretty effectively.

So you should be very pleased with what you did. I will repeat that it is a vast improvement. You have a lot of things going on and most of them are working rather well. So Bravo!

Drskmishra
05-06-2015, 05:21 AM
Sir, thanks for all the kind words, looks like I'm still on the tracks! All the improvements are because of encouragement from people like you. Thanks again.

Drskmishra
05-08-2015, 05:39 AM
Following the sunbeam, have tried to blend colors more sensibly and highlighted the leaves as appropriate along the way. Suggestions from all please.

damasocl
05-08-2015, 08:33 AM
Last picture is a really masterwork of art!!!
Congratulations!!!!!
Go ahead with your paintings...

Drskmishra
05-17-2015, 07:40 PM
After some gap, back again with a couple of new ones. Tried cityscape and close up of oranges. Many flaws I'm sure but please go ahead and suggest.

Drskmishra
05-20-2015, 05:10 AM
Tree. Please suggest improvements.

HwyStar
05-20-2015, 03:08 PM
Great work Drskmishra!

Look at the image on post #133. Notice the yellow umbrella in that picture? My eye was drawn to that umbrella and it gave me a focal point to look at. With your latest effort, my eye is drawn to the vibrant color of the grass in the middle of the picture behind the tree, and because of that; for me, that is not as good as post #133. I think that is what Delofasht was trying to convey to you. The value of the colors throughout the entire picture have to co-exist otherwise your eye is drawn to the out of place color and not focusing on your wonderful tree!

I am a total noob at this painting stuff! My goals right now are to match the colors of my paintings to the image I am painting. Usually a photograph. I will use the color dropper and a reference image to get my colors right on the money. It is to much for me right now to focus on painting technique, perspectives, brush strokes, values, colors, blending, yada, yada, yada! If I can take color out of the equation and just focus on the rest then the color selections will come with time.

Your opinion may vary... :cool:

Drskmishra
05-20-2015, 08:32 PM
Got your point, sir. Have to go a long way, I'm sure. Thanks for your observations.

D Akey
05-20-2015, 10:04 PM
Looking good! You have a sense of color and a range of values that you're comfortable working in. And it's a pleasure watching you. It's as if you're walking through a land of color and soaking in the sensual pleasure of the various colors as you come upon them. It can be intoxicating and beautiful. And you communicate that very well.

Well done!

Caesar
05-21-2015, 03:34 AM
I see Your artpieces getting richer and richer in their palette, colors, arrangements and brushstrokes variety. Very well!

Drskmishra
05-21-2015, 01:17 PM
I'm honored. Shall keep learning through your observations and suggestions, thanks again.

pat1940
05-22-2015, 06:12 AM
You are getting along very well, your colors are vibrant and pleasant to look at

Delofasht
05-22-2015, 06:49 AM
I'm enjoying your art very much, your style is interesting. All I can do now is watch and see your growth, for almost everything that can be learned has been touched on in this thread at some point, one's interpretation and application of the fundamentals is always unique to the artist. From here forward it's mostly an analysis of your own work as you see it and refining what you want to do.

I suggest making a list of priorities for yourself to have near you while you paint. Mine are:

Shapes?
Colors?
Proportions?
Values?
Details?

Everyone's priorities are different, mine reflect the way I see, and applying that to how I paint lets me communicate what I'm responding to somewhat eloquently. Values and proportions are far later in my priorities than many other peoples. These priorities have a lot of complexity and have me ask a lot of other questions while painting, there are some other good priority lists I've seen from a few other artists in my time (even if they didn't think of them in this way).

Good luck, keep up the good work.

Drskmishra
05-22-2015, 01:26 PM
Thanks for all your suggestions. I'm feeling more confident now. Hope to improvise more and more in times to come.

Drskmishra
05-22-2015, 08:26 PM
Learning to paint reflections. Suggestions for improvements from all please.

Caesar
05-22-2015, 09:00 PM
As a general suggestion, if You wish to follow some sort of simple procedure, I'd say that You should look at:

first the composition path and tonal scheme (black and white/ max 5 tones sketch) to check if You like it and it keeps the observer into the painting more or less dynamically and if suggests a depth
second You should select some kind or palette out of a selected basic chromatic scheme for color harmony (also called gamut, there are a few standard ones in case) and apply it according to the previous tones and check if it works too.

The rest is "just" painting the full size, detailed painting ... remind that usually right tones are more important than right colors.
Best wishes!

Drskmishra
05-22-2015, 09:59 PM
Sir, thanks for the basic tips.

Drskmishra
05-24-2015, 01:48 AM
Tried more reflections, for suggestions from all please.

Drskmishra
05-24-2015, 02:16 AM
Reflections

cartuneman
05-24-2015, 04:10 AM
What tools are you using? It is very interesting how I can actually see your progression of subtle colors as well that bring the composition together. Nice work.

Drskmishra
05-24-2015, 05:13 AM
Tools? Oil brush, knife and occasional roller. No stylus, no reference images, as a matter of fact no formal trainings in painting. Artrage made my life easy, otherwise mixing colors would be a big effort for me. Most of all, encouraging words from senior artists like you have kept me on track. Thanks a lot sir.

Drskmishra
05-29-2015, 09:36 PM
Tried some under water rocks, any good? Looking forward to suggestions and tips from senior artists.

Drskmishra
06-03-2015, 01:22 PM
Some more under water rocks for comments and suggestions please.

Drskmishra
06-09-2015, 05:10 AM
Rocks submerged. Suggestions from all please.

damasocl
06-09-2015, 11:43 AM
Cada nueva pintura me sorprende...

Each new painting surprises me ...

Drskmishra
06-09-2015, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the kind words sir.

Caesar
06-09-2015, 09:57 PM
Good progress so far.
Maybe now You may dare to get even bolder with colors and tones selection and range, considering also complementarity of hues as a tool to better separate shapes and foreground, intermediate field and background.

Drskmishra
06-10-2015, 05:21 AM
Sir, thanks for the guidance, let me see how far I can do it.

D Akey
06-10-2015, 01:26 PM
Nice ones. I agree with Caesar. If, however, you want to do something delicate, you may want to try a more translucent technique done with a lighter touch rather than going so painterly. That would coincide with the delicacy of your palette. The challenge to you would be to know where you're going ahead of time because doing such a technique requires saying much with just a few really well placed marks. Since these come out of your head, you say, then you are painting and feeling your way through it as it manifests on the canvas. In that case, I would consider values and saturation as Caesar suggests (I think).

Nice work.

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::):):):):):coo l::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Drskmishra
06-10-2015, 09:17 PM
Sir, good that you keep guiding me through your valuable suggestions. I'm feeling more confident now, though I know I have a long way to go. Thanks again.

koalablue
06-10-2015, 09:50 PM
All I see is a lovely painting and welcome to the forums.

Drskmishra
06-11-2015, 02:27 AM
Thanks for your kind words.

Drskmishra
06-13-2015, 05:49 PM
Together on a secluded beach. Have tried to refine a simple beach, suggestions from all please.

Fakepivot
06-13-2015, 06:59 PM
really enjoyed going throw your gallery, some of them are excellent!!

Drskmishra
06-13-2015, 07:42 PM
Thanks for viewing my work.

damasocl
06-14-2015, 08:51 AM
I really liked this beach landscape and rockery ... It's very similar to the coast of Chile.

Drskmishra
06-14-2015, 02:06 PM
Thanks a lot sir, shall keep trying for better ones.

Caesar
06-15-2015, 11:59 PM
The intensity of colors is certainly improved now!
Some have a rich chroma some less though, but it also depends on the use of complementary and "colored" greys against more vivid hues.
You may now also consider colors somehow complementary between enlightened parts and shadows of the same object. colors of the same object change not only tone (lighter or darker of the same hue), but also the hue to some extent. A darker or ligher tone is generally not just more or less pressure or thinner, or add sime white/ black. Shadows tend to contain both a darker value of the base color + some blue + some complementary color of the base one. A lighter tone has usually some yellow/ yellow ochre too with a lighter tone or some white ...
You may try some mixing on the appropriate reference feature if you wish while you paint.
You may excercise on some masters painting to get better mix I think.
I'm glad You made big steps so far and You're very close to reach a a quite good level with your style. Keep confident and enthusiastic!

Drskmishra
06-16-2015, 03:20 AM
Sure some basic points, shall try to work on them. Your encouragement has been doing great for me. Thanks, sir.

Drskmishra
06-19-2015, 04:49 AM
Stream, trees and rocks. My locality is known for all this, forests, foliage and fresh air. Suggestions from all please.

Fakepivot
06-19-2015, 11:22 AM
thats looks beautiful... love those trees

Drskmishra
06-19-2015, 01:08 PM
Thanks for appreciation.

damasocl
06-20-2015, 05:27 AM
I admire the atmosphere you have achieved through the foliage...!!!

Drskmishra
06-20-2015, 05:51 AM
Thanks for your kind words, sir.

D Akey
06-21-2015, 10:37 AM
Nice stuff! I like them. I like the lighter touch. Sometimes it lets the image breathe. Painting impasto is also good in its own way. But if one gets a handle on watercolor, and all the fun stuff one can do with letting the paint talk and do its thing, it's a good dance between the artist and the materials.

Good stuff! You definitely created a mood of being enveloped by the forest in this latest one.

Drskmishra
06-21-2015, 02:24 PM
I'm hugely encouraged by your appreciation, let me see how I can improve further. One thing for sure, my confidence is gradually building up. Thanks all of you.

pai
06-25-2015, 07:31 AM
Beautiful works in your thread. My favorite is especially the "Sunset" one, very unique color palette I like :)

Caesar
06-25-2015, 07:51 PM
I like the fresh feeling of this last one and the ranges and composition, both chromatically and tonally, look nice.

Drskmishra
06-25-2015, 09:55 PM
So kind of you, thanks.

Drskmishra
06-28-2015, 01:28 AM
Have tried leaves again, rainy season here. Nature at its best this time of the year. For suggestions from all.

D Akey
06-29-2015, 04:56 AM
Nice rich colors. Something about the concept of 'wet' for me means that the colors come to life like with lacquered wood or wet stones. It just intensifies the saturation. So this rich color works well for me.

And I think you're getting the water droplets better and better all the time. Good improvement over the similar pic you did some time back. Well done! and stay dry if you can and send us some of the rain this way please. We're in a drought here. :rolleyes:

Drskmishra
06-29-2015, 06:03 AM
Nice request, let me organize some rains for you too! Good that you find droplets better this time. Trying to work on some more of rainy scenes. Thanks for encouragement.

damasocl
06-30-2015, 03:58 AM
Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wonderful painting!!!
Congratulations!!!!!!!

Drskmishra
06-30-2015, 04:40 AM
Sir, I'm humbled, thanks for your appreciation.

Caesar
07-01-2015, 01:54 AM
WOW. You made a quantum leap with these quite tangible leaves! Excellent outcome and progress again!

Drskmishra
07-01-2015, 04:30 AM
Thanks, sir for all the support all through. I know it's a long way ahead, shall keep learning.

Drskmishra
07-02-2015, 05:27 AM
Walking in rains.
In my place, rains are beautiful. Hills, greeneries and serenity. I just went on imagining and painting, suggestions from all please.

D Akey
07-03-2015, 04:47 AM
Nice sense of space. You're leading us into the painting, which is a pleasant experience for the viewer. I suppose if one lives in a rainy area that one loves the rain is and should find it's way into your work. And your familiarity with what it looks like stands as a great inspiration and voice for your artistic expression, especially when you paint from imagination. With so much rain, you might say that you'll never run dry for ideas.

Nice one!

Drskmishra
07-03-2015, 01:26 PM
So nice of you, sir. Your encouragement has been helping a lot, thanks again.

Caesar
07-03-2015, 08:10 PM
Walking and singing in the rain. Feel of freshness, rain smell and clean air. A lovely experiment indeed!
I wouldn't use a rough paper though, because it somehow removes the mist rendering and smoothing effect and makes it look like a flat paint on a sheet rather than an atmospheric, depth-suggesting perspective. Consider that You may change canvas and sheet types even after you finish ...

Drskmishra
07-03-2015, 08:41 PM
Your point well taken, sir. A smoother paper would be better here. Thanks.

Drskmishra
07-06-2015, 01:43 AM
Forests during rains in my place. It's green all around, fresh air and cool throughout. Suggestions from learned seniors please.

pat1940
07-06-2015, 05:29 AM
Love your artwork, I think it is so beautiful and looking forward to seeing more

Drskmishra
07-06-2015, 01:46 PM
Thanks a million sir.

Drskmishra
07-11-2015, 05:13 PM
River in hills. Have tried to depict the shallowness of it as it flows in our area, bush, rocks and all. For suggestions please.

justjean
07-11-2015, 05:41 PM
Very nice,

Drskmishra
07-11-2015, 06:00 PM
Thanks for taking a look.

damasocl
07-12-2015, 08:15 AM
Cada nueva pintura que nos muestras, refleja tu maestría en el manejo del color y la atmósfera...

Each new painting that you show reflects your mastery in the color management and atmosphere ...

Drskmishra
07-12-2015, 05:05 PM
Thanks for the kind words, sir.

D Akey
07-12-2015, 10:41 PM
Looking good! Orchestrated with a flavor like music.

Drskmishra
07-12-2015, 11:23 PM
Thanks, sir. Trying to follow advice from you all.

Drskmishra
07-13-2015, 06:13 AM
Countryside streams swell up in rainy season in my area, dirt roads are typically grass covered and lead to small villages, green all around. Suggestions please.

Drskmishra
07-15-2015, 10:35 PM
Sunset down the hilltop. Evenings are always beautiful in the outskirts of my small town. Invite suggestions from all please.

Caesar
07-16-2015, 01:32 AM
I like the lively green You used recently. I would only suggest you to check either the tonal composition (how appealing is the tonal shape/ structure from light to dark, i.e. looking at it in black and white by ovrlay blending a black superimposed layer in case) and the color composition, i.e. if there's at least that kind of contrast to separate the various elements in the composition. The painting before the last one, for instance, in my modest opinion doesn't show a clear focus on any subject, cannot drive or keep sight to specific parts and look very narrow range either tonally and colorwisely.
Trying with a black and white tonal scheme first on a skecth may be useful to see if the outcome looks pleasant and interesting, once You trim the idea, then you may go on with the color and detailed version. Keep in mind how dark and which colors for shading and shadows.
Check also on the color wheel which are the color schemes You would use (i.e. hue segments where You would find lighter and dark colors in the paintings) .
Finally, before starting a painting, look at a varied gallery of paintings You like very much, they would unconsciously drive the right way when You are on the job!
Take care and keep goin'!!!

Drskmishra
07-16-2015, 02:12 AM
Keep going, that's what I'm doing. I know it's a long way for me, but hope to improve every time. Thanks sir, for your continued guidance through my journey.

Enug
07-16-2015, 02:41 AM
Another way in AR to see your painting in greyscale is Edit/Adjust Layer Colors - move the bottom of the three sliders (Color) all the way to the left. Keep up the good work.

Drskmishra
07-16-2015, 04:40 AM
IPad doesn't have the option you mention, in fact it lacks many things it appears, like no fan brush, no stickers. Hope they provide it in future versions. Thanks for looking at my painting.

Mendota
07-16-2015, 01:55 PM
I really like the watercolor look. I will have to try your technique. I too have issues trying to use watercolor.

Drskmishra
07-16-2015, 02:44 PM
Thanks. ArtRage is a great tool for late bloomers like me, it permits you to follow your imagination which is remarkable, just keep painting.

Drskmishra
07-22-2015, 03:02 AM
Had a broken leg. Shall take a while before joining again. Shall miss all of you.

D Akey
07-22-2015, 08:43 AM
Very sorry to hear that about the leg. . . May you heal fast and well. You may actually be able to yet paint on the computer if you can set it up so that you can reach it. So sorry to hear it.

Get better, my friend.

:)

Drskmishra
07-22-2015, 03:10 PM
Thanks for your concern. After surgery the pain will subside. Then I might try it on iPad.

Enug
07-22-2015, 06:49 PM
Wishing you well in your recovery and hope it won't be long before we see you and your paintings. An iPad sounds ideal.

Caesar
07-22-2015, 08:44 PM
Sad to hear of such bad news. Recover soon, dear mate!

Drskmishra
07-23-2015, 04:39 AM
Dear all, I'm deeply moved by your concern. Let's hope for the best.

Drskmishra
08-03-2015, 06:36 PM
Pitter patter of rains from hospital bed. Have been able to gather strength to attempt this one. Not exemplary but at least have started it slowly. Everybody please take time to just have a look, thanks.

D Akey
08-04-2015, 07:07 PM
Well, it looks like they got you on the drip whether indoors or outdoors or even inside.

Nothing like the rainy season for fluid paintings. Looks skillful.

Your hospital room looks like a hospital room sure enough. Sort of a journalistic approach as you compose your memoirs. They'll be illustrated. Too bad you can't use ArtRage to paint up your cast. There are limits to digital.

You must have really done a number if you're still in the hospital. Hope you're healing well. Yikes! Well painting may or may not help, but it couldn't hurt. . . :confused::(

Get better soon! Keep painting. . .

Drskmishra
08-04-2015, 07:36 PM
Painting sure helped me forget the misery of fracture and subsequent surgery to fix it. Gradually coming around. Shall keep painting once in a while after discharge from hospital. Thanks for looking at my work sir.

Drskmishra
08-06-2015, 10:27 PM
Leaves. These violet red green large leaves grow in our locality in abundance during rains. Request all to please have a look.

Caesar
08-07-2015, 01:26 AM
A really fine painting. I like the used palette too . . .

Drskmishra
08-07-2015, 02:50 AM
Thanks sir. Painting is soothing for my frayed nerves post surgery. Shall try some more.

Drskmishra
08-07-2015, 09:03 PM
Foliage during rains. Trying to paint things I can see in my front yard.

Drskmishra
08-12-2015, 03:41 AM
Rains. Request all to please evaluate and suggest.

damasocl
08-13-2015, 04:17 AM
Only one word: GREAT!!!!!!!!!!
Again: congratulations!!!!!!!!!!

Drskmishra
08-13-2015, 04:39 PM
Oh thank you sir. It encourages me no end.

Drskmishra
08-14-2015, 03:17 AM
Have tried to paint sparrows which are fast vanishing from our neighborhood. I always miss them. Comments and suggestions please.

D Akey
08-14-2015, 06:47 AM
Feels like the monsoon season has affected the latest paintings -- a moist depth of field.

Good stuff.

Drskmishra
08-14-2015, 02:44 PM
Monsoon brings great relief to us here. Its beauty all round. Thanks sir for seeing my work.

Bobbi
08-15-2015, 01:35 AM
Leaves. These violet red green large leaves grow in our locality in abundance during rains. Request all to please have a look.

This is especially eye catching. The colors are wonderful.

Drskmishra
08-15-2015, 04:13 AM
Thanks. Shall try to improvise on it.

justjean
08-15-2015, 04:32 PM
All are looking great

Drskmishra
08-15-2015, 05:42 PM
Thanks for encouraging me.

Drskmishra
08-17-2015, 07:46 PM
Little girl dancing in puddle and enjoying rains. Rainy season continues to bring joy here. Request all to please have a look.

D Akey
08-18-2015, 01:54 AM
Where I grew up as a little fellow (maybe 5yo) we had rain and my mother could never figure how a guy I walked to and from school with was always very neat and tidy, whereas I would come home all muddy and soaked. She followed us one day and later told me that my friend would just step over the puddles while I on the other hand would jump and stomp in each puddle turning the rain into a playground -- which also explains why I would sometimes arrive home wearing one shoe or no shoes because they got sucked clean off my feet as I would walk through a muddy field. So she would send my dad out to backtrack until he found the shoes. The footprints were pretty easy to follow I should think because they formed holes in the mud lasted a year often times. :rolleyes::o;)

I really get your story in this picture. We never had water nearly this deep, but I so get this.

A nice story telling picture where I think we can all relate to the exuberance and harmony with nature. A school girl in the middle of class -- or perhaps she's the teacher in this one.

Drskmishra
08-18-2015, 02:36 AM
Sir, I'm touched by your interpretation and your memories of childhood. We all have enjoyed our share of schooldays fun. Thanks looking at my work, I'm gradually coming round and hope to paint more in days to come.

Drskmishra
08-18-2015, 09:19 PM
Another of those bright violet red long leaves in the shrubs that grow here aplenty during rainy season. Please have a look.

Drskmishra
08-20-2015, 08:42 PM
Landscape. Tried after sometime.