PDA

View Full Version : Drskmishra

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

D Akey
08-21-2015, 02:07 AM
Something new for you, eh? More of an impasto look. I like it.

Might want to change up your brushes here and there. Nothing wrong with a chiseled look, but it's another tool you can select, like picking a particular golf club based on the range you're looking to hit. The association I personally have, based on having worked in advertising, if that sharp edges look like the kind of mark that one gets using chiseled markers. So it takes on a sort of presentation comp feel, at least in the areas it's applied.

One would never see markers and oil paint in the same pic owing to marker comps need to be ready immediately as a quick visualization tool, while oil usually needs drying time -- even if markers could be used over oil which probably wouldn't take owing to the mismatch of chemistry. In digital, everything works with everything else, so that's not an issue anymore. But it's how I see it based on traditional mediums and where each is used. . . in the past.

Anyway, this is a pretty nice impressionist kind of painting. A world to explore if you like that look.

Despite my digression about the materials, I really like this last painting.

Good stuff!

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::):):):):):cool::coo l::cool::cool::cool:

Drskmishra
08-21-2015, 05:09 AM
Sir, digital format allows me to imagine and paint using any tools. I'm happy you like whatever I paint, thanks for your kindness.

Drskmishra
08-22-2015, 08:10 PM
These waterfalls swell up during rainy season and look beautiful with all the greeneries around.

Drskmishra
08-26-2015, 12:44 AM
Landscape. Greeneries, stream and rocks under water. Comments and suggestions from all please.

sabena
08-26-2015, 09:18 AM
Very good work you are a professional fantastic painting

Drskmishra
08-26-2015, 01:41 PM
Thanks, I was never formally trained in painting but have been following advice from senior painters of this amazing forum. Each one has been very encouraging to whatever I attempt to paint.

Drskmishra
08-27-2015, 05:34 PM
The beach and underwater rocks, comments and suggestions from all please.

D Akey
08-28-2015, 03:09 AM
Easy to be encouraging when one is clearly so enthusiastic about painting. Very spirited. Good stuff!

So are you able to get out of bed yet? Hope you're feeling better.

Drskmishra
08-28-2015, 05:46 AM
Thanks sir for the encouragement. Out of bed, yes, with crutches I'm allowed to walk now. Maybe another 2months.

Drskmishra
08-29-2015, 02:25 PM
Sal trees are typical of my area and these forests cover most of outskirts. The trees are tall, slender with large leaves. These leaves are collected by natives, dried and sewn together to make disposable plates for community feasts. Have tried to depict most of details, request all seniors to please have a look and give valuable suggestions.

Drskmishra
09-03-2015, 08:12 PM
Have never gone scuba diving or anything close, have tried this one by imagining how it looked in movies! For comments please.

Fashmir
09-06-2015, 08:54 AM
I am delighted by the textural elements of this image (although I would tend to dial down the canvas 'roughness' just a bit). I feel like I am witnessing a folding of space/time which has rendered a circumstance wherein Spring and Autumn are on a physical border from one another. Autumn seems to be dominant with that main large tree, but the border seems to be dead center of the image and might be stronger if it were to have a more organic transition. Think of the power of the yin and yang symbol as compared to a rectangle of black beside a rectangle of white. There is greater power in acknowledgment of 'integration' along with the balance of opposites. D Akey touched on this stuff nicely in his commentary. Thanks for sharing your effort and please keep doing so. :-)

Fashmir
09-06-2015, 08:59 AM
I just realized the depth of this thread back into the early part of the year. My comment above is very tardy and addresses the first image in the thread. I can see by browsing through the rest of the thread that you have been busy painting and there is growth in evidence right here in one thread. Keep going! Your latest, the underwater scene, is very nice. I enjoy the smooth blend you achieved with the colors as the light and color change with the depth of the water. I still would tend to dial that canvas 'roughness' down a bit as it dominates a little too much for my taste (this is only a matter of tastes). The school of fish that you have so carefully painted in, is the only thing that seems 'tacked on'. I do note that you have made efforts to modify the scale of the fish that are farther away from the viewer, however the spacing between each fish seems too even, and there seems a lack of changes in density of the school, along with having a few stragglers and changes in direction of the swimming direction of the collective group. Lastly the shapes at the head of the school of fish appear to be an attempt at air bubbles (please correct me if I'm wrong) which I find confusing as fish do not, on the whole, produce much in the way of bubbles.

If I were painting a school of fish, I would have anywhere between 3 and 6 reference images (https://www.google.com/search?q=school+of+fish&biw=1920&bih=941&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0CB0QsARqFQoTCPXz_bnb4McCFQJLiAodL9UJWA) containing elements I wished to include in my scene. As I began to decide where each of the elements would go, I would block it in with simple shapes and work to the more complex as I first focused on composition. To lay in the actual school of fish I would likely draw a shape into the scene on its own layer. It would look something like a large wide ribbon caught in the wind and flapping gently into the distance. I would then pretend to extrude that ribbon shape either up or down to create a 'volume' ribbon shape. Then I would start to fill in fish shapes loosely held by the shape. As I worked in the fish, there would be many 'overlapping shapes' to suggest the depth and with of the volume of fish. I don't want to be putting too much into mere words on a screen and overloading you (I don't know you yet) but I will finish this by talking about the amazing opportunity for an exagerated form of 'atmospheric perspective (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerial_perspective)' I can see that you have a bit of that going in the plants on the ocean floor. I would find it delightful If I could *just barely* make out the shape of something looming in the distant water. Something like a coral reef shelf, or perhaps a sunken galleon, just something to widen the story of the image and invite further imaginative response in your viewers.

Keep going!

I am loving your passion for painting!

Drskmishra
09-06-2015, 02:14 PM
Sir, I'm indeed grateful for the in depth analysis of my work. To be honest, this is the first time I ever painted any underwater scene, esp fish. I admit, the bubbles were done randomly, which do look odd. Maybe somewhere above the corals they would have been more appropriate. Your suggestions on fish well taken, shall try to do it again sometime.
Sir, the very reason I post my work in this forum is to get valuable advice from learned artists like you. This is invaluable for someone who was never trained formally in painting.
Shall look forward to more of such suggestions from all of you in this forum time to time, thanks again.

D Akey
09-07-2015, 06:38 AM
I agree about the bubbles with the fish. The bubbles would behave in a very different way -- vertical ascent vs a diagonal kind of thing unless there was a water current changing that. While bubbles may not logically be in the shot, they do sometimes work to establish that it is underwater -- mostly because we see it with people and aqualungs, and sometimes rotors behind boats just to "cheat" some movement.

But elsewhere in the shot would be the place for them if you needed something to fill space. And, you would not want to have them treated so much like the fish, and give them their own separate character.

Also, the light shapes projected on the seabed from the surface -- when doing lighting effects, you would do well to think of it in terms of it being illumination of what is already there rather than it being like white string. Your shapes are sort of in the ballpark. It's just the matter of lightening (or darkening) the seabed accordingly.

But there's a lot of cool things happening here. And it's very close overall. Just the occasional detail bursts the bubble of illusion you might say.

Very ambitious. And not too shabby.

Drskmishra
09-07-2015, 01:45 PM
Thanks, sir for your views. As I said, most of the inconsistencies I had perceived already which I shall address the next time. Indeed useful tips, thanks again.

Caesar
09-08-2015, 09:37 PM
Nice ones. I particularly like this last painting and the palette you used.

Drskmishra
09-09-2015, 03:14 PM
Thanks, sir for the kind words.

Drskmishra
09-13-2015, 05:39 PM
Tried watercolor this time, no training, just followed my instincts through hit and trial. Artrage is amazing!

damasocl
09-14-2015, 02:30 PM
Last watercolor work is amazing!
Your domain, your expertise with watercolor is remarkable.
Congratulations!

Drskmishra
09-14-2015, 02:42 PM
Thanks sir for all the encouragement, shall try to improve on it further.

Drskmishra
09-20-2015, 10:55 PM
Truth be told, I've never witnessed any snowfall, hence many things may be missing in this work. Request all to please come out with comments and suggestions.

D Akey
09-20-2015, 11:28 PM
Coming on strong as a painter!

Looks great and not missing anything as far as I can tell. Great palette. One of the great things about snow is the way one can integrate all the various colors into the snow where tints sparkle and feel very colorful in a high key way -- and you certainly did that really well.

Love it. Feels like you're mastering the brush and color mixing. Far and away your best.

Drskmishra
09-21-2015, 12:11 AM
Sir, your comments have indeed boosted my confidence, I'll again say I'm learning by doing. Thanks for your kind words.

BushcraftOnFire
09-21-2015, 05:18 AM
This painting is very good! You did an excellent job with the snow, which typically isn't too easy to capture well. Only thing I would change (unless you intended it that way) is to soften the snow a wee bit where it meets the top of road.. The edges seem a bit hard there. The hard edges on the bottom side of the road are perfect. Typically hard edges show where something stops and something else is behind it.

This is sooo well done! Congratulations!

Drskmishra
09-21-2015, 02:07 PM
Thanks, sir, for your observations.

Caesar
09-21-2015, 09:33 PM
Thumbs up for sure to this last landscape under the snow!

Drskmishra
09-21-2015, 10:48 PM
Thanks sir for encouraging me every time I attempt at something.

Drskmishra
09-29-2015, 05:07 AM
Have tried this one after a while, the foliage hasn't come upto my liking. Request all for comment and suggestions please.

Caesar
09-29-2015, 09:44 PM
Wonderful!
Just remember that colors in the distance are weaker as intensity, cooler and more blu-grey-sh than the corresponding one closer to us. This help giving depth to the painting.

Drskmishra
09-30-2015, 12:13 AM
Got the point, now I know why it looks so flat. Thanks, sir, shall try again sometime.

Drskmishra
10-03-2015, 06:06 AM
Just learning to do sunset, invite suggestions from all please.

BushcraftOnFire
10-03-2015, 07:41 AM
Very well done.. There's something about this that won't let me take my eyes off of it.

D Akey
10-03-2015, 09:19 AM
Couple problems immediately pop out for me:

Mind your consistency.

1) In the palm and the ground you jump values - light & dark -- your darks don't match.
2) The color temperature -- the ground is very warm color in the shadows. The tree isn't.

When you're painting, it's helpful to not just think of the colors that are in the light, but also in the dark. Both are important. But the darks are more essential because they create the framework and sense of the distances and overall intensity of the light.

The lights can vary because the lighting may hit the objects differently and textures and materials and local colors all vary. But the darks need to anchor all that play of the light and make sense of the picture for the viewer. So it's all about consistency or it will look like a cut out pasted onto another picture.

Other than that I feel a sudden taste for a vacation drink with an umbrella in it -- not that I ever had such a vacation, but it seems tropical and luxurious as inspired by your setting.

Drskmishra
10-03-2015, 03:02 PM
Both points well taken sir, actually I did the palm and ground in layers, on different days. Moreover I finished it in night, so the difference in warmth could not be appreciated maybe, but definitely I shall look into it in future works, thanks again.

Drskmishra
10-03-2015, 03:03 PM
Very well done.. There's something about this that won't let me take my eyes off of it.
Thanks for the kind words.

Drskmishra
10-05-2015, 05:51 AM
Have tried giant sea waves, request suggestions from all.

joey_matthews
10-05-2015, 02:06 PM
To put it simply, this is beautiful.

I like the charm it has from the warm colours it presents, it really reminds of a warm day where the breeze makes your soul feel alive. Great picture! Well done.

Drskmishra
10-05-2015, 02:48 PM

Drskmishra
10-17-2015, 09:57 PM
Tried this one in watercolor, learning wash techniques. Suggestions from all please.

Drskmishra
10-25-2015, 12:04 AM
Tried snowfall again, looking forward to suggestions from all.

damasocl
10-25-2015, 10:17 AM
As always: your paintings are awesome and very personal style...
Congratulations!!!

Drskmishra
10-25-2015, 03:25 PM
Thanks sir, for your continued encouragement. It has worked wonders for me.

Drskmishra
11-11-2015, 11:00 PM
Learning to do skies, looking for suggestions from all please.

JOSEPHINE.EARP
11-12-2015, 11:55 AM
I have looked at all your work submitted for the first time tonight and the improvement is astounding, very well done I especially like the last one it is beautiful. keep them coming. Best wishes Jo x .

Drskmishra
11-12-2015, 03:34 PM
Thanks for taking a look at my paintings, I've tried to learn from suggestions from professional senior artists at the forum. Long way to go, I know, but I'm doing it for pleasure. Let's see how far can I go.

Caesar
11-12-2015, 10:50 PM
Great progression. :eek::cool:
Now that You feel comfortable with Artrage tools You may possibly add some form of life or person far away in Your next work to add a "story" to the artpiece maybe ...

Drskmishra
11-13-2015, 01:42 AM
Thanks for taking a look at my paintings, I've tried to learn from suggestions from professional senior artists at the forum. Long way to go, I know, but I'm doing it for pleasure. Let's see how far can I go.

Drskmishra
11-13-2015, 01:45 AM
Great progression. :eek::cool:
Now that You feel comfortable with Artrage tools You may possibly add some form of life or person far away in Your next work to add a "story" to the artpiece maybe ...
Your suggestion well taken sir. Let me see what I can do.

pai
11-20-2015, 11:00 PM
the cloud so beautiful painted. really like it :)

pat1940
11-21-2015, 07:01 AM
Have checked out all your paintings and am amazed how you have improved, you get great advise from members of this forum, and you are listening, good for you, your last painting is wonderful, love the sky and the beautiful cloud, keep them coming and just have fun

Drskmishra
11-21-2015, 09:34 PM

Drskmishra
11-21-2015, 09:36 PM
the cloud so beautiful painted. really like it :)
Thanks for the encouragement.

D Akey
11-21-2015, 11:52 PM
This is crazy. I could have sworn I posted comments on these. Oh well. I'll do it now.

I really like them. The high key colors are very effective in both snow and sea when it has that tropical blue to it. I will suggest that you get into working for contrast some more to give them some added weight. . . if you like. Right now they have a hand done, interpretive feel owing to the rawness of the colors. It gives them a more direct quality than a practiced character.

A recommendation, if you like, would be to push one way or the other more for some experiments (not to please my eye, but rather for you to find if you like those color ranges better. So more of a graphic colorful statement, or a heavier and with more contrast, giving it more of a naturalistic look. That doesn't mean make everything muddy. It's more about picking what you want to be bright and then back off that brightness in other areas of the painting. . . .if that's something you want to try.

If I were guessing, I would think you are someone who would like to keep it light and airy, telling the story of the locations like a storyteller picks and chooses their words and how they say them, rather than just giving a factual or melodramatic account. But that's just a guess.

Drskmishra
11-22-2015, 09:51 PM
Thanks sir for having taken a look at my paintings, your suggestions well taken and like always, I value them.

sabena
11-23-2015, 06:49 AM
Beautiful ilke very much

AndreaMG
11-23-2015, 07:10 AM
Lovely works, beautiful lighting effects too! :cool:

Drskmishra
11-23-2015, 03:20 PM
Thanks both of you for the kind words.

Drskmishra
12-01-2015, 03:36 AM
Learning to paint the roses in my front yard. Long way to go, I know. Need suggestions from all please.

Drskmishra
12-02-2015, 11:25 PM
Have tried to paint apples, learning effects of lighting on still objects. Invite comments and suggestions from leaned artists please.

D Akey
12-03-2015, 02:25 AM
Learning to paint the roses in my front yard. Long way to go, I know. Need suggestions from all please.

Well, your leg will heal and you'll find that your front yard is not so very far to go as you might think. :rolleyes:;) That's where the roses are, isn't it.

And. . . this picture is really a departure for you. I love the way you have combined line and tone. Your line is not bad at all! And the pastel complements it in a very refreshing combination. I know this isn't a fashion drawing, but I have seen many fashion drawings (from my long ago days in illustration) that really are underrated generally. They were often very innovative with line and pastel (or other dry medium like charcoal if it was in BW). . . or for that matter they would be far more experimental.

A lot depended on the subject and the mood that they were trying to convey, whether glamour, or business conservative, or sweet, even flashy. Too many to name. But the point is that they were free and sought the essence of that which they depicted and found a style that let them be innovative with a lot of range to their expression. And once they had done enough to make it their own signature, as it were, they could draw/paint anything at all and it would really surprise and delight.

I also very much like the fruit in the bowl. It has a rich softness, evoking for me a warm hearth and home feeling. So there's a whole lot going on already in your pictures, where you seem to be very adept at going for the essence of the subject you're portraying.

Not so very far to go with your art to make it something to appreciate. Hope it's merely innate humility and not that you really feel it's lacking. You're moving fast like a horse that's taken the bit in it's teeth, as the saying goes.

Drskmishra
12-03-2015, 03:39 AM
Sir, my leg is doing well, as you have rightly guessed and I'm literally limping back to normal! In fact my stay in bed has helped me learn some painting skills. How well, is for you all to decide. But I'm enjoying it for sure. And I've always benefitted from suggestions through this forum. Thanks for your continuous involvement in my journey.

Drskmishra
12-05-2015, 11:34 PM
Another of my still life attempts, the lemons. Invite suggestions from all please.

D Akey
12-06-2015, 01:38 PM
Another of my still life attempts, the lemons. Invite suggestions from all please.

Wow! Another giant leap forward! And healing from a broken leg too. . . that's quite a trick! :D

Okay -- a suggestion -- maintain the levels of dark in your shadows, especially if you have a really dark bit in your background, you have to have it at least that dark somewhere in the foreground. The foreground shadow on the table is too light by a lot. Other than that, this is really good. Nice detail in the sliced open limes. Good form and values. Reads like a proper citrus.

Well done!

Drskmishra
12-09-2015, 01:23 AM
Sir, thanks for pointing out the darkness thing.

sabena
12-09-2015, 04:50 AM
Wonderful colors and very well done:rolleyes:

Drskmishra
12-09-2015, 05:08 PM
Thanks ma'm for the encouraging words.

Drskmishra
12-11-2015, 04:07 AM
Roses in the morning, have been watching it bloom. Not very brilliantly done but the roses are far far more beautiful in my lawn! Comments and suggestions from all please.

Caesar
12-11-2015, 06:19 AM
Not bad at all and You're getting a personal style indeed!

Drskmishra
12-11-2015, 06:41 AM
Thanks so much sir for your encouragement.

Drskmishra
12-14-2015, 05:39 AM
Another of my attempts on still life painting. Have tried to work more carefully on shadows this time. Invite suggestions from senior members please.

D Akey
12-14-2015, 08:09 AM
Very tasty! I love it. You've come so far since your first paintings, haven't you! Those highlights are really nice. The shapes are very cared for, which makes me care for them as a viewer. Generally, if an artist doesn't care about their painting, it's very hard to appreciate it. But you clearly cared for this one and as such I can really appreciate it on several levels.

This is a really excellent piece and you should be very pleased, as I am to look at how you're grasping so much.

Bravo!

Depending on how dark you want to go with it, and the way your monitor is set, on my monitor your darkest shadows are in the 80-90% range (with 100% being total black). It doesn't bother me because one doesn't need to always go all the way to black because they are not interested in that kind of punch. There are many cases where not going all the way to black is successful. And this is pretty nice as it is. But know that in future, you can push it all the way to black in your deepest shadows, even if it's in a very small bit. It extends the range. Illustrators often use it because it's more eye catching and photographic, if one's illustrations are that style. And fine artists don't always desire that much range because it just simply looks better as a higher key painting. So it's a matter of what you want to express.

But the feel of this one is very nice. The subtleties and sharp highlights play well together. And you should be most satisfied with it. So on to the next painting! ;)

kenmo
12-14-2015, 11:20 AM
Love the images you are creating.....

Drskmishra
12-14-2015, 02:44 PM
Thanks for the kind appreciations, very encouraging indeed. Yes, my monitor is set at low brightness as it is kind on eyes. Shall keep it in mind the next time.

Caesar
12-14-2015, 10:36 PM
A very successful excercise again! Maybe just a little less symmetry and a little more off-centre position may help in this triangular composition ...

Drskmishra
12-14-2015, 10:53 PM
Thanks, shall keep this symmetry consideration in mind next time.

Drskmishra
12-19-2015, 06:05 AM
Have given a try to this one again, shadows and all. Invite suggestions from all please.

Caesar
12-21-2015, 10:56 PM
I like the ethereal light You got in this soft-looking painting. Dramatic improvement from Your interesting start.

Drskmishra
12-21-2015, 11:01 PM
Sir, thanks for your continued attention.

Drskmishra
12-21-2015, 11:07 PM
Have used paint tube and knife for this one. The intense colors were quite strenuous to eyes. Invite comments and suggestions from all please.

pat1940
12-22-2015, 11:48 AM
Very nice work, love the shape of the roses, you are improving so much and fast

D Akey
12-22-2015, 12:24 PM
Lovely stuff.

On the loaf of bread, I would perhaps consider using your contrast a little more to define the planes. But it's all looking good. Well done.

Drskmishra
12-22-2015, 03:13 PM
Thanks for all the encouraging words, sir. Shall continue to improve on my basics.

Enug
12-22-2015, 08:33 PM
Like the others have said - it is inspiring to see how far you have come in your art and the rose painting is lovely.

Drskmishra
12-23-2015, 05:42 AM

Drskmishra
12-28-2015, 06:25 AM
Have been observing roses in my lawn, was fascinated by thorns. Have tried to do them as they appear early in the morning. Looking forward to comments and suggestions please.

sabena
12-28-2015, 09:50 AM
This is ART very dood. Fantastic painting.:rolleyes:

D Akey
12-28-2015, 10:58 AM
Interesting contrast -- pleasure and pain in relatively equal parts.

What would my comment be about the painting itself?

It looks to me that you put into it that which you found relevant. If one is painting for themselves only, then it's not worth contemplating beyond whether it was pleasurable for the artist to do like him putting together a puzzle. They're not designed for others' enjoyment. They're for the pleasure of doing it. But as an artist who may be doing art for others, you have many more things at your disposal to employ. You merely used a couple. Your skill level has been shown in previous paintings to exceed this by a lot. Having seen your high water mark, I can only put the question back to you.

We get out of it what we put into it. If you're happy, I'm happy. But I would consider approaching future paintings more like poetry rather than a quick headline in a newspaper -- expand the meaning of it to give someone something to wander though. Or another approach might be where you consider it like a journal where you also use words to describe your experience along with a sketch as a combined experience. Having read your comments I could see you having particular sensitivity to nature which could turn into something profound. So it would be to keep a record for your own journey of someone walking through life "lit up" for others to see through your eyes. Like "Today, I walked in the garden and came upon. . . which affected me thus. . . because. . . and what it taught me was. . ." etc. Many people would love to be turned on and learn where the "On" switch is.

Just a simple example of how painting can work in harmony with other expressions and can thus make it all the more poignant. And you may thereafter find your painting takes on more of a specific role for you, which can make it easier to know how far to take it. It could be that structure becomes less important than color and expressive marks, and so on, where you're expressing something that is connected with your personal experience.

Again, that is something for you to discover and calibrate to your inner interests. Art can be an outer expression of the inner, especially once one gets past learning some rudimentary basics in the craft. I think you're ready to become an artist in that sense.

Drskmishra
12-28-2015, 04:35 PM
Painting like a poetry, I get your point sir, thanks for being critical. Shall keep your guidelines in mind, as always. Thanks again, sir.

Drskmishra
01-01-2016, 11:40 PM
Have tried to improve upon the earlier one. Request opinions from learned seniors please.

D Akey
01-02-2016, 07:34 AM
Nice job!

The mood with the lights is pretty dramatic. Nice detailing on the marks for the window lights.

Because you have staged it this way, with the sky being so prominent and vacant, it's like a stage and the nightly concert is about to begin. Out here, we have a place called The Hollywood Bowl for musical performances, mostly known for classical, but they did rock concerts back when they were popular. It's outdoors, and the effect for evening performances is not unlike this, just at the moment that the skies darken the music starts. So that's where my mind went. I was fortunate enough to see them performing Holst's The Planets. So you can imagine that a staging like this would remind me of that outdoor concert.

This painting begs a story. Beautiful in itself, but I can hear the instruments tuning up preparing to play.

If your story is more about the buildings, then you could safely crop out much of the sky to make a more horizontal composition essentially drawing our eyes closer into the city lights.

Nice one. Auspicious start to the New Year! May yours be filled with all that you love.

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:;););););):cool::coo l::cool::cool::cool:

Drskmishra
01-02-2016, 05:27 PM
Thanks, and a very happy new year to you as well. Have tried to capture mood on last day of year, and preparation for celebrations to come later in the evening. An air of anticipation sort of. Thanks for your close observation.

Drskmishra
01-07-2016, 04:50 AM
Not giving up on still life, many flaws, I know. Bottle top could be in frame, grapes look dull and glass like and more!! Request comments from all please.

kenmo
01-07-2016, 07:46 AM
Very nice.....:cool::cool::cool::cool:

Drskmishra
01-07-2016, 03:14 PM
Thanks for appreciating.

Caesar
01-08-2016, 11:34 PM
Dramatic improvement on Your last paintings indeed! Congrats!

Drskmishra
01-09-2016, 06:57 AM
Thanks indeed sir for the encouragement.

Drskmishra
01-10-2016, 06:18 AM
Trying to improve on the basics, comments from all please.

Drskmishra
01-14-2016, 04:53 AM
Tried these in watercolor, have concentrated on the basics. Request comments from all please.

Caesar
01-15-2016, 05:04 AM
They ap-pear wonderful! :o;)

Drskmishra
01-15-2016, 06:26 AM
Thanks,sir. You continue to ap 'pear' kind to me!!

D Akey
01-17-2016, 08:30 AM
The pears are really nice. Good still life stuff. And your assessment of the one with the wine bottle is accurate. I see you learned much from that as well in how to assess your own work afterward. That's very useful to a painter.

And the watercolor one is very interesting. I'm wondering what you'll do with that technique having learned what you did. What I see is that you're employing about 3 different calligraphic motifs that are designed into the piece in a pleasing relation. Reminds me a little of the short choppy marks made by Van Gogh in his drawings that approximated how he would use his paint strokes.

So all in all it looks like you're making a whole lot of good progress in diverse directions. That speaks of your intention on your journey to explore and bring into the world where your artistic mind goes. You challenge yourself. You attempt things both new and to make improvements. It appears you have been looking at pictures from others in the world and how they have gone about their picture making.

I can think of no better way at this point. So very well done indeed! I have no criticism since you're becoming so aware of your own process, which is perfect to have been developing that necessary ability so you can keep moving whether you get feedback from others or not. Just in this case offering my observation as a way to give you feedback that you're doing great. Keep painting and posting. Very enjoyable.

Drskmishra
01-17-2016, 10:23 PM
Sir, it's over a year that I joined in and the forum has worked wonders for me. You, in particular have been an integral part of this journey. Thanks, sir for all your guidance. Let me see how I can improve further.

coops
01-18-2016, 03:02 AM
Great paintings I really like the canvas that you use:)

Drskmishra
01-18-2016, 02:45 PM

Drskmishra
01-25-2016, 03:55 AM
Have tried to do it in its natural appearance. Wanted to do the background but it didn't work somehow. Request comments from all please.

D Akey
01-25-2016, 07:53 AM
Works fine for me. I think I might have pushed the shadow darkness just a little for the inside of the coconut -- the concave part, just to establish the form a little more.

One of the choices as the artist is that you get to choose how to light your subject - and that's all important. That's where your descriptive voice lives. So is this diffuse overhead light optimal for what you want to show us? Right now it's all about the brown skin and the hairy fibers and the white meat rather than the form. It would be great for medical illustrations where you want to isolate a spot or quality. Works the same way in a painting, only artists aren't always so much about illustrating with emphasis.

So, regarding the background, you have the coconut halves against a white background, so the least bit of value change in the subject is going to seem like more than if you had a contrasting, busy background. And you would likely be surprised when you introduce an active background, or a dominant color in a background just how much it affects your subject. More contrast in the background needs more contrast in the subject generally. red in the background would suggest you need that color in your other colors so they feel like they're in the same context.

Context is super important. As such, it's a good idea to work up the whole picture at once. If you try to drop in a background after you paint the subject, you are often in for some unpleasant surprises because once you start adding contrast, the values in your subject are no longer going to relate the same way as when you painted it and pale contrast will sometimes even disappear. Also in this simple image, most people are aware of what a coconut looks like so there's ample information where we would know what's being painted. So the fact that it's both subtle and bold at the same time is just fine. But I do know why putting in a background could have presented problems for you.

Anyway, on the good side of this painting, the forms are good and you have a good contrast. You are describing the materials of the subject pretty well. And against a white background, the values work well all around. You're handling your forms, marks and color mixing pretty well these days.

:):):):):):cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::):):):):)

Drskmishra
01-25-2016, 03:21 PM
Thanks, sir. Yes, I painted the subject first which put me in trouble when it came to doing the background. I should have taken it up in entirety. I was soaking in the morning winter sun looking at the broken coconut pieces and was so fascinated with the brightness of the inside of coconut as against the outer shell that I went on painting. Shall consider your point as always, the next time.

Drskmishra
01-26-2016, 03:30 AM
Thanks for taking a look at my painting.

Drskmishra
02-02-2016, 06:34 AM
Have tried to paint marketplace abuzz with activities. Something amiss in this I know, request suggestions from all please.

Caesar
02-02-2016, 10:04 PM
Love it. A style that reminds that of Sabena and another couple of artful mates in here for elegance, effective simplicity and color harmonies ...

Drskmishra
02-08-2016, 05:59 AM
Learning to do foliage in fall. Have tried to color it the way it appears during fall. Comments and suggestions from all please.

Drskmishra
02-15-2016, 11:45 PM
Tried to paint maple leaf in close up, suggestions and comments from all please.

Drskmishra
02-20-2016, 04:26 AM
Trying to improve upon the trees and leaves, comments from all please.

Drskmishra
02-23-2016, 04:24 AM
Have tried again the autumn morning with more colors, request suggestions from all please.

eighty+
02-23-2016, 06:28 AM
Hi Drskmishra Very good but way out of my comfort Zone ;) :D:D CIAO IVAYA CON DIOS SLAINTE ..............POZDRAWSKI

Drskmishra
02-23-2016, 03:27 PM
Thanks, sir, for taking a look at my painting.

coops
02-25-2016, 04:06 AM
The last two are so beautiful and a lovely place to take a walk:)

D Akey
02-25-2016, 09:28 AM
Like you're taking a road on which one listens to the stories the forest shares on a walk. The previous one feels like you captured in paint the sound of leaves being rustled by the wind -- the myriad voices like little vocal chords being acted upon by the movement of the breeze triggering little abstract sounds for the listener to sort into their own meaning.

It that is a lead in to the next painting, it is like going from that into a place of inspiration and more clarity.

Very poetic work!

Go man go!!!!!

Drskmishra
02-25-2016, 04:05 PM
Thanks both of you for encouraging words, you are being kind as always.

Drskmishra
02-28-2016, 10:14 PM
It's time for petunias in my front yard. Have tried to paint them but the real ones are far more beautiful! Seeking comments from all.

danny72
02-28-2016, 10:26 PM
It's time for petunias in my front yard. Have tried to paint them but the real ones are far more beautiful! Seeking comments from all.

It's look already very good.. Flowers are not really my thing,but the advice I can give you is just continue work on it.. Back and fourth.. Try to get the values right.. Warm and cold colors.. To get a really good painting takes time.. A lot of time..

Drskmishra
02-28-2016, 11:54 PM
Thanks for your kind advice,sir.

danny72
02-29-2016, 12:12 AM
Thanks for your kind advice,sir.
You've welcome :-) I have to say,no flowers in my backyard,just alot of snow :-)

Drskmishra
03-08-2016, 10:50 PM
Have tried to improve on my earlier ones, requesting suggestions from all.

D Akey
03-09-2016, 11:28 AM
The soft side of nature. Nice.

Drskmishra
03-09-2016, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the encouragement sir.

Drskmishra
03-11-2016, 09:58 PM
Have been trying to improve on the earlier ones, seek suggestions from all.

D Akey
03-12-2016, 01:58 AM
A very nice quality to the colors. Interesting how you are setting the tones very softly and then pulling things into focus. I think this technique shows a lot of promise and could be developed into a really impressive style. It has many of the right directions already apparent. The only thing that might be suggested from me is that the jump in focus in the out of focus distant trees is pretty extreme. It isn't necessarily wrong, but it pulls attention to that focus feature. So if that's something you want to do, then well and good. But overall this is very successful in my opinion.

Drskmishra
03-12-2016, 03:20 AM
Your point taken sir, the background is blur. Shall work on it. Thanks for advice.

Drskmishra
03-16-2016, 06:55 AM
Have tried to improvise on foliage dabbing colors with rather dry brush strokes. Invite suggestions from all please.

eighty+
03-16-2016, 07:43 AM
Hi There's nothing I can Say As you seem To B going on Like a house on fire Congrats when you find out about Layer's may be you'll show Me OK

CIAO IVAYA CON DIOS SLAINTE .........POZDRAWSKI

D Akey
03-16-2016, 10:24 AM
Very well controlled regarding the focal distances. Colors are quite flavorful. Excellent. Better and better all the time.

Drskmishra
03-16-2016, 02:47 PM
Thanks both of you for the encouragement.

Caesar
03-17-2016, 12:37 AM
Lovely places. You must live in the middle of nature!

Drskmishra
03-17-2016, 03:38 PM
Thanks, and yes we have plenty of forests around, we're lucky that way!

Drskmishra
03-28-2016, 01:23 AM
Spending time by the beaches, have tried this boat in moonlight. Looking forward to suggestions please.

pat1940
03-28-2016, 03:49 AM
I enjoy your paintings and you are doing great so keep them coming

Drskmishra
03-29-2016, 12:23 PM
Thanks for the encouragement.

D Akey
03-29-2016, 07:34 PM
I think you could do with some research into water and what it looks like. This is pretty naive, but a good starting point. But like your learning about the other types of scenery, you will get it in time.

Ocean water is challenging. It's sculpted with form, with big wave shapes within which are smaller shapes, yet it has to feel like it's moving with some sense of rhythm and cohesive relation. It's like the difference between a musical solo versus a fully orchestrated symphony. Both can certainly be beautiful, but the orchestration means so much more has to work.

Then again, some artists just use it as an opportunity to generally slap in some paint and the idea of the ocean is hoped to carry the illusion. If you're aiming for that kind of painterly approach, as opposed to strict realism, then you need to consider putting in paint that excites and works within the lexicon you establish. In those cases you want to show us what paint and color and values can say with less literal purpose from the subject.

Eventually, you have to decide which way you want to go and develop those skills to where you command the canvas more so than just acquiesce to what pops up.

Very good stretch. Brings quite a few artistic considerations to the forefront.

Go, my good sir! You're growing fast.

Drskmishra
03-29-2016, 11:56 PM
Sir, have been watching waves form by the beach, foam and all. Lot to learn as you rightly pointed out. With your encouragement I'm sure to get somewhere, but in between you all will have to bear with some hopeless paintings!

D Akey
03-30-2016, 10:29 AM
Oh, I think we can bear whatever paintings you post if you can bear our hopefully helpful comments. I for one have been enjoying watching your rapid progress, especially considering you were out sidelined with an injury. Go man go!

:):):):):):cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::):):):):)

Drskmishra
04-04-2016, 11:00 PM
Have been learning the waves, any better this? Looking forward to suggestions from all please.

Caesar
04-05-2016, 09:28 PM
Frankly it looks more like the Niagara falls .... :o;)
If it may be of some help, waves tend to look like a gentle hump first, then they peak towards the forefront and form some foam on the peak. Afterwards their tops dive downwards and the wave substantially rolls (and take that shape) to finally break down splashing all over .... more or less these are the phases. Which one did You choose?

Drskmishra
04-05-2016, 11:39 PM
Thanks, sir for the guidance, I thought I was doing the last bit, crashing big waves at the shore. Long way to go, I know!

Caesar
04-06-2016, 01:07 AM
Thanks, sir for the guidance, I thought I was doing the last bit, crashing big waves at the shore. Long way to go, I know!

I didn't mean to discourage You. Water and waves in particular are among the most difficult subjects, even by direct observation (since they move and are harder to analize).
Pictures may be of help and copying from some master too and even more (Tinzo in here showed us an example a decade ago You may possibly find among the tutorial resources).
Go on with it and any other subject to practice and best wishes!

D Akey
04-06-2016, 07:58 PM
Yeah, it's not an overnight thing. There's a lot to learn about painting water. But when it works, it's spectacular.

I'd say keep at the same thing until you master it. If you do something and it doesn't quite work and you shift to something different, you may have left before having learned your lesson that subject has to offer.

I would find a painting where someone did it right that pleases you and copy even a portion of it and do it over and over till you get it -- like a breaking wave on the beach. That's going to be different from water in deep sea. Pick one and work at it until it starts to happen for you.

I agree with Caesar on this last one. It does look more like rushing water in river rapids. I think that is because I don't see much form, but just white water. And that is a characteristic of that kind of water movement.

Keep at it. You'll get it eventually. And when you do you'll be very happy you did what it took to understand what's happening.

Drskmishra
04-07-2016, 02:20 AM
Thanks both of you for such involvement largely because of which I've been learning. Have been watching sea waves keenly, let me see what I can do.

Drskmishra
04-07-2016, 12:27 PM
Back again with waves at noon time. Have tried to depict all I watched by the beach, looking forward to suggestions please.

D Akey
04-07-2016, 02:49 PM
Now you're cookin'!

Keep going, and as we say here in California where we grab our surfboards and head into the breakers, "Surf's up!"

It's the favorite call among surfers. . . and seascape painters too I'll wager.

A real jump ahead.

Drskmishra
04-07-2016, 07:45 PM
Oh, thanks a million sir, looks like I can continue to paint more of these.

Caesar
04-07-2016, 09:06 PM
It looks like You're not the only one who may fall dealing with waves ... ehehehe:o;). Have a look here! http://www.lastampa.it/2016/04/06/multimedia/sport/cadute-da-brivido-ecco-i-surfisti-in-gara-per-il-wipeout-award-FQlVqXKMViu0w0aDnnwSTL/pagina.html

Drskmishra
04-07-2016, 10:27 PM
Thanks, sir:D for being a part of my journey!

Drskmishra
04-23-2016, 05:21 AM
Not yet done with my waves, have tried to paint it the way I saw by the beach. Many flaws, I know. Looking forward to suggestions from all please.

D Akey
04-23-2016, 06:11 AM
The water has a contour that the white foamy bits should follow. Would make the form of "the curl" as surfers call it. Keep looking at paintings. The nice part of that is they hold still long enough for you to figure it out. The ocean is a moving target. Harder to hit. Previous paintings sort of mark the road for you until you know the basic formula to make it work. A thing to keep in mind is that not every instance and state of the ocean is ideal to paint, and you want to narrow it down to stuff that's likely to work.

sabena
04-23-2016, 10:45 AM
very realistic water and very well done.

Drskmishra
04-23-2016, 01:29 PM
Thanks both of you, shall try to make it better.

Drskmishra
04-29-2016, 03:37 PM
Have tried to make it better, expect suggestions from all please.

Caesar
04-29-2016, 09:52 PM
You're doing better and better with sea waters! The last one makes me really feel, not only see, the sea and its neverending movement!

Drskmishra
04-29-2016, 11:31 PM
Oh, thanks so much, sir!

Drskmishra
05-03-2016, 03:17 AM
Have tried to paint the bark and trunk, yes the background is poorly done! Invite suggestions from all please.

D Akey
05-03-2016, 04:21 AM
I would recommend that you maintain the integrity of the overall form and then comes the importance of the texture. Maintain your hierarchy of importance. Don't want to have the tail wag the dog as it were. Think, what are you painting. In this case it's some tubes that have light and shadow. The way you painted it, you're painting the texture of the bark that somewhat has a tree attached to it. So you have to develop some subtlety, unless you are going with a style that is uniquely your own about chopping away with less-considered paint strokes as a sort of exercise in controlled action painting where it becomes more about the painting itself and less about the subject except as a departure point.

And then it comes down to some fundamental questions to ask yourself.

You can explore it out to your own satisfaction. But as you're going, these are neither realistic nor loose enough to quite fit into the world of abstraction. You have to decide where you are heading as an artist. If it's to paint realistically, then get more accurate. If it's to be more expressive, then you might want to get a little more broad and gestural. If you're really wanting to paint like you did when you first started posting your paintings here, with a sort of out of foggy watercolor base with some drawn elements indicating what is the subject, then focus on that style.

I can't say which direction is for you. And trying all different directions is fine too. But you probably want to find where your happiness is, which way to paint, and do that for a time and explore how these different subjects might appear in that style.

I know you can paint what you see. When you were painting water droplets on leaves I think you were getting there. So I'm assuming there is something inside you pulling you to form you images in a certain vocabulary. So enjoy it and see what happens. And if it becomes unsatisfying, then you can push into a different arena. But until that time, see what comes from what you're doing rather than anticipating what you should be doing. . . until the time that becomes important. But looking back at what you've done as a group of paintings tells a lot more than trying to mentally anticipate where you're going, at least until you have some solid foundation you're happy with building off of.

And as a side comment, if you're not wanting us to consider the background, don't put it in. Perhaps paint a vignette or against a simple color as an exercise and then really get in there and paint the heck out of the subject. It would surely simplify things for you.

Have fun.

Drskmishra
05-03-2016, 01:40 PM
Sir, you're right, it does look rather harsh and stand alone. The tree is in my front yard and I've been wanting to do it for some time. You've been closely watching my journey and I know I've got a long way to go before I can paint with some meaning or style! Thanks for your invaluable suggestions which I have always benefitted from. Look forward to more of these. Thanks again.

D Akey
05-03-2016, 05:38 PM
Don't get discouraged whatever you do regardless of how I sound in my comments. They're always meant to help to see as a lead in to the next steps and choices you have. Anybody that's learning has the learning curve to experience. What's very good about your approach is that you are experiencing painting every time. And all that experience will add to your stock of skill. As a result, I suspect very strongly that you're going to be an excellent artist where you will be able to blend your inner and outer experience on canvas.

There is a wonderful quote by Nelson Mandela that I came across a couple days ago on Facebook that I love and take to heart for myself. You may enjoy it as well. I love it because this describes the Art process from a very high place, and can be applied to any aspect of life.

Drskmishra
05-03-2016, 09:47 PM
Discouraged, no way. I'm a late starter and I know my limits, which is why I need guidance from you all. Winning, not sure but I'm learning with every painting for sure! Thanks sir for the beautiful quote.

Drskmishra
05-16-2016, 10:14 PM
Working on seascape, have tried to make it better, inviting suggestions from all please.

D Akey
05-16-2016, 10:22 PM
Much, much better. Good shape to the wave. Gives it a strong focal point. Yeah, very much you're getting it! Your details are all working to the desired end. Love the variety of colors and shapes.

Caesar
05-16-2016, 10:43 PM
This one is a really powerful wave with the right shape, colors and transparencies where light get through its liquid veil.
An exceptional improvement indeed!

Drskmishra
05-16-2016, 11:06 PM
Thanks, sir. It helps to receive encouraging words from seasoned artists, shall keep improving on my work.

kenmo
05-19-2016, 02:23 AM
You're mastering Artrage quite nicely....:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Drskmishra
05-19-2016, 11:10 PM
It's summer time here, hot and humid. Watermelons are in, have tried to paint as I see them. The cut piece seems a little large I'm afraid, looking forward to suggestions from all please.

Drskmishra
06-02-2016, 05:43 AM
Have tried to make it better, shadows and all. Invite suggestions from all please.

damasocl
06-04-2016, 02:51 AM
Excellent work with colors, shades and hues ... and the quote: "Learning by doing" is a mantra for those who want to learn better ... The quote is from John Dewey, a great American educator.

pat1940
06-04-2016, 03:01 AM
You are learning more every painting you do, love the colors you are choosing, keep going

Drskmishra
06-04-2016, 05:38 AM
Thanks both of you sir for the words of encouragement, shall work harder to improve further.

D Akey
06-05-2016, 02:26 AM
Nice stuff! Painting fruit is always nice, so long as you don't eat the model before you're done.

I like the landscape. Really nice sense of sunset or sunrise light. . . when the sun is low on the horizon is what I mean. You got the gold of it quite nicely. Good atmosphere. Very rich like a treasure.

Drskmishra
06-08-2016, 03:42 AM
Thanks sir, I admit I ate up a substantial amount of the big fruit!

Caesar
06-08-2016, 08:28 PM
Fine additions following the season offer! I love watermelon very much!

Drskmishra
06-11-2016, 01:27 PM
Thanks sir

Drskmishra
06-14-2016, 10:20 PM
Have been trying to improve on foam and rocks. Have tried to highlight the relevant points. Seeking suggestions from all please.

Drskmishra
06-25-2016, 05:56 AM
Have given it a try again, using knife largely. Seeking suggestions from all please.

D Akey
06-25-2016, 07:14 PM
I really like your take on it this go around. It's a bit stylized and I think that makes it unique. Pattern and shape seem to be the descriptive emphasis you used to describe.

I love the light range of values you employed for this one. Feels like a luminous sea of light. Even the sky is of that essential luminescence. For me that translates from an ordinary ocean wave to that of some pretty cool metaphoric associations -- as if at night it glows from within. Or perhaps a different state of consciousness that has a difficult time even registering negativity or heaviness.

Well done.

Drskmishra
06-26-2016, 01:01 AM
Sir, your kind words have always been hugely encouraging for me. Looks like I can go on painting more of these! Thanks sincerely.

Caesar
06-26-2016, 02:18 AM
Very well done. Confident strokes and an energy that would almost remind Turner. Dramatic improvement!

pat1940
06-26-2016, 11:52 AM
I like this, it shows movement and enjoyment of doing this painting, it kind of reminds my of when you are under water and looking up to the beautiful colors in the ocean on a bright sunny day, very nice

damasocl
06-26-2016, 02:26 PM
Un excelente trabajo de la espátula!

An excellent work of the knife!

Drskmishra
06-30-2016, 11:20 PM
Thanks all of you for the kind and encouraging words. Have been trying to improve every time. Have been learning to do highlights, submitting this one for comments and suggestions please.

Enug
07-01-2016, 02:01 AM
Love all the movement in the waves and what a lovely sky!

D Akey
07-01-2016, 06:49 AM
Wow! Those colors are really rich. Very nice sky. The water is also well designed.

I think my suggestion in this case is to consider that primary wave that is picking up the light through it. It's best to think of the color temperature of the light in the world of the painting and consider that it is being tinted by that color. So if there's a blue light bulb illuminating a room, you would have things mostly tinted toward that particular blue. If there's a fireplace that's illuminating the room, then everything in that room would be pushed toward the reds, oranges and yellows.

So my point here is that using white as the light color in this one when the color of the light source is seen in the sun and sky, you could add a whole lot of richness to the painting by introducing some of those colors into the water foam. And most of all, because in these types of seascapes, the key drama is in the breaking wave with the light shining through it, you would want to probably push the saturation of the light in that translucency to a color, not just white. Intellectually, we know light is coming through, and since light often seems white, we think just by making it whitish is doing the job. But not really.

Think of looking at light through a piece of amber or a gemstone like jade -- more to the point like looking through the color of a stained glass window. It just works better when you work from the neutral and more dark to the more saturated and lighter. Try some variations and see how that works.

Anyway, having said that, this is really really good. I love that you're jumping off into color more. It makes for a far more interesting and dynamic painting. You're really going places now! You're juggling more balls in the air at once, which is more complex. But the payoff is so much richer and you're succeeding on many many levels. So keep going!

Drskmishra
07-01-2016, 02:06 PM
Understand your point, sir, shall take this into account the next time. Thanks for taking time out for my work and look forward to more guidance.

Drskmishra
07-05-2016, 05:00 AM
Not yet finished with the foams, seek suggestions from all please.

Caesar
07-06-2016, 02:43 AM
Now You really master seascapes and waves magnificently, and under various lighting conditions! I'm impressed and pleased by Your dramatic improvement and progress! APPLAUSE!

D Akey
07-06-2016, 07:03 AM
Nailed it!!!!!!! BRAVO!!!!!!!!

Of course as you do it more and more, if the ocean is your thing, you will get more and more subtle. But this is great!

Drskmishra
07-06-2016, 08:16 PM
My honour, thanks both of you sir. Shall try to do better.

Drskmishra
07-16-2016, 04:44 AM
Have tried my hands on sailboat, many flaws l know. Seek suggestions from all.

D Akey
07-16-2016, 06:45 AM
Nice. Has the general impression of what's happening. Good mood and all. It boils down to what you were aiming for.

If you're going for realism, there are structure issues throughout. And those things should be clear to you to see.

If you're going for a sort of scene in the form of a watercolorist like Turner or something more contemporary in that direction like when you started posting here on ArtRage, then you would want to be looser in the overall, letting the wash of color and paint be free flowing and general, and then tighten up in some key places.

There's lots to explore any way you set sail. Just clarify your intention and go for it.

Drskmishra
07-16-2016, 01:47 PM
Fully agree with you, sir. Long way to go, thanks for giving directions.

Caesar
07-18-2016, 07:45 PM
On the contrary, it's a quite impressionistic style, fresh immediate, dynamic, very painterly. It reminds vaguely Turner's watercolors and the simple blue/green-ochre palette base works.
A more defined boat and neat realistic style, with all definitions and details, would be just a print for house ornament, this one is a painting.

Drskmishra
07-20-2016, 05:11 AM
Thanks, sir for encouragement.

Drskmishra
07-21-2016, 08:57 PM
Have tried to refine it further, looking for advice from all please.

Drskmishra
07-29-2016, 02:37 PM
Have tried it, again. Seeking suggestions from all please.

Caesar
07-29-2016, 11:09 PM
Better and better. The sea in all its forms and lightings. Marvellous colors and movements. You achieved what Your objective was when You first started with sea and waves painting!

Drskmishra
07-30-2016, 06:06 AM
Sir, you've constantly by me in my learning, thanks.

paulfromaustralia
07-31-2016, 02:18 AM
G'day from Australia.

I have thoroughly enjoyed looking at all your painting.

I love the choice of colours, the vibrance, the delicate work where you have people in some of the scenes. You have come such a long way in such a short time.

Best wishes and keep up the great work.

Seeya.

Drskmishra
07-31-2016, 05:43 AM
Thanks for encouraging words, hope to keep doing better.

D Akey
08-01-2016, 12:48 PM
Strong colors making for a dramatic seascape. Looks a little like from the land of the midnight sun, where that water is icy.

Very nice. Full speed ahead.

Drskmishra
08-02-2016, 08:25 PM
Thanks sir.

Drskmishra
08-02-2016, 10:48 PM
Tried flowers for the first time, any good? Seeking suggestions from all please.

D Akey
08-06-2016, 08:23 AM
This feels painted, which is good as a choice on how to approach it - an artist's hand produced this as opposed to a camera, making it more personal and human. I have always been myself pleases when I could paint something from the middle tone to the highlights, leaving out the darks. It gives a lighter feeling of cleaner, unimpeded color.

Now if you take that sensibility, and with your underpainting or the first splashes of color on the canvas, that is, as a possible approach, a time when you can get really loose and splashy with your color. Watercolorists do this to great effect. Some painters do as well. So what you might do is splash in several colors generally in the area you want your subject to appear. At this stage you can go for a loose and wet-into-wet, or big brush scrubbing colors around. As such it's a general beginning without too much concern for any detail.

The difference between opaque and transparent media is whether you're adding darks or whether you're creating your middle value colors.

And then you either add on more specific light colors if your initial lay-in is darker or if you're working transparently, you add your darker colors. In both cases you want to work with the color you have down. And your additions would be to anchor some edges or partial shapes.

There are any number of divergent approaches possible as aesthetic choices from there, to leaving it airy and loose, all the way to with the opaque technique to painting it all in. But there are sketchier stages along the way that can be quite beautiful -- where you're giving the viewer enough of a push to see something, but not so completed and therefore they can complete the painting in their heads. It's also less work, where a light touch works rather well.

So that's just a couple ideas where this kind of sensibility you show could be taken. As always, it's the artist's choice.

Drskmishra
08-06-2016, 02:04 PM
Thanks,sir. I always benefit from your wisdom and look forward to more of them.

Drskmishra
08-11-2016, 05:50 AM
Have tried to improve on the fruits, seeking suggestions from all please.

Mordred
08-11-2016, 09:44 AM
I am no expert, but for what it's worth, since you are asking for suggestions: I feel the two pieces of orange is too light compared to the rest. I'd probably add brighter highlights to the other fruit, which would not only make everything fit together, but also give more depth to the apples, grapes and what have you.

I've seen you makes some great progress in this thread. Keep up the good work.

Drskmishra
08-11-2016, 01:36 PM
Completely agree, should have highlighted ones in background. Impatience, it seems on my part. Doing orange skin took a lot of energy! Thanks for the suggestion.

Drskmishra
08-14-2016, 12:49 AM
Pitter patter of rains while driving through street. Needs a lot of refinement, I know, but I enjoyed painting this. Looking forward to suggestions from all please.

Mordred
08-14-2016, 04:55 AM
The only thing I can thing of is letting some of the background color show in the rain drops.

Drskmishra
08-14-2016, 05:42 AM
Thanks for pointing that out, did not occur to me. Next time maybe, thanks again.

D Akey
08-14-2016, 06:21 PM
Modred makes some good points.

Another thing to improve the water droplets it to simplify the edges of the drops. Right now they're a little "hairy". The polish you give your marks are going to say a lot about your level of artistic skill and experience. Right now they feel somewhat unsure and hesitant in the paint application. But the raw material is present. So it's merely a matter of polishing your technique.

You are certainly on the right path and the values and colors are good. If they're picking up some of the color from the far side that's even better, and more interesting. Certainly anyone looking would be clear on what you're painting. Good stuff.

Drskmishra
08-14-2016, 11:42 PM
Get the point, sir. Thanks. Shall try to improve.

Drskmishra
08-23-2016, 05:32 AM
Learning to do the detailing and highlights. Looking keenly forward to suggestions from all please.

Mordred
08-23-2016, 10:02 AM
Since I love what you are doing in this thread, I am once again going to offer whatever little advice I can. Again, I want to emphasize that I am no expert, so keep that in mind at all times :)

I love the detail, and I think the highlighting is good. Especially in the foreground. What I'd suggest is adding a bit darker tones. One area in particular could benefit from this: The area beneath the bushes on the far side of the water. Making it darker would add a even more depth.
EDIT: Also, consider making the flora less uniform; make some holes in the bushes, filled with darker tones. Just a few would make a big difference, I think.

That said, I do think the detailing is very well executed, and probably a lot better than what I could myself.

D Akey
08-23-2016, 10:40 AM
Don't be fooled by his humility. Modred IS an expert. Great advice. :):):):):)

This painting is a departure for you and there is a whole school of painters who focus on pattern and the decorative simplification of shapes as representations. It's quite common in illustrations and folk art. You're somewhere between natural and stylized with this one.

My personal taste also goes toward the more natural as I think Modred is pointing toward. And you seem to have been favoring the natural. But I just wanted to comment for you to observe the fork in the road that heads toward 2 different looks and how some painters might go toward filling a picture in a decorative way with the simplified idea of trees etc.

Anyway, great stuff. I love how you're observing details putting some nice finish in. Possibly as you step back to an earlier stage in the painting, that's where the vocabulary of how to construct a tree and so forth would come into play. And naturally that would then dictate how much detail would be necessary to include and how much could be implied by your earlier placed marks.

Go man go!

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::D:D:D:D:D:cool::coo l::cool::cool::cool:

Drskmishra
08-23-2016, 02:01 PM
Go man, go, that's what I look for from you sir. Thanks for all the kind words, and yes, Modred is just being modest!!

Drskmishra
09-05-2016, 05:46 AM
Have been trying to do detailing and highlights, suggestions from all please.

Mordred
09-05-2016, 05:54 AM
I think that is a pretty significant improvement. I don't know what to suggest. Well done.

Drskmishra
09-05-2016, 01:38 PM
Thanks a lot, shall keep working on it.

D Akey
09-05-2016, 04:56 PM
Keep going. You're doing great.

Drskmishra
09-05-2016, 07:54 PM
Thanks sir for all the support.

Drskmishra
09-08-2016, 08:59 PM
More of detailing on foliage, looking for suggestions from all please.

Caesar
09-08-2016, 09:10 PM
What a formidable improvement You had since Your start, dear mate! All fantasti works indeed!

Drskmishra
09-08-2016, 09:15 PM
Thanks a million, sir for being a part of this journey, have always benefitted from your suggestions. Thanks again, sir.

Mordred
09-09-2016, 02:12 AM
Good job including more black in the deep shadows. One of your weakest points - in my humble opinion - was the lack of truly dark shadows. Something you seem to have rectified.

I - on the other hand - use way too much black in my paintings, and hope I will be as succesful as you in bettering myself, but in reverse, and reduce the amount of black I use, creating lighter paintings.

Drskmishra
09-09-2016, 02:54 AM
Thanks, I have a long way ahead of me. But with well wishers like you, I hope to improve slowly.

D Akey
09-09-2016, 08:26 AM
I love the variety you've assembled. They are all handled in a similar style yet it has differentiated qualities each according their nature.

Really good stuff. Like a rhyming poem recited with a very clear, personal voice.

Drskmishra
09-09-2016, 01:58 PM
Thanks, sir for all the support.

Drskmishra
09-15-2016, 11:13 PM
Still learning, highlights and details. Seeking suggestions from all please.

D Akey
09-16-2016, 06:15 PM
Well, assuming you want to go naturalistic as opposed to stylized, you may want to not be so even with your daubing highlights. It becomes a bit like a wallpaper pattern as opposed to something descriptive of nature which is quite varied. On the other hand, if you want to pursue a style of your own, then ignore what I said and run to that end. People do paint like that after all and come up with some fun stuff to look at.

Keep painting!

Drskmishra
09-17-2016, 08:27 PM
Thanks, sir, as of now I'm just trying my hands on everything! It will be a long while before I develop something of my own, long way ahead, I'm still a toddler I know!

Drskmishra
09-22-2016, 10:18 PM
Keep painting, everyone says, so here I am again. Seeking more suggestions from all please.

Caesar
09-23-2016, 10:53 PM
What can I say? You're no more a Newcomer anymore since long time, dear mate! LOL;):o
Time to start a new thread, maybe.
Senior and Master Member I'd say .....
Excellent new additions! :D:D:D:D:D:

Drskmishra
09-24-2016, 05:03 AM
Sir, please do not embarrass me, I may not be a newcomer any more, but a toddler in painting skills! But yes, your kind words have encouraged me no end, many thanks for it.

Drskmishra
09-27-2016, 05:55 AM
Learning to be patient with landscape detailing, seeking suggestions, as always, from all please.

Drskmishra
10-02-2016, 06:47 PM
Yet another, trees, waterhole, seeking suggestions from all please.

D Akey
10-05-2016, 05:23 AM
Well done! Looks very full and rich. Love the Fall colors. It always adds so much visual vitality and presence when there are warm colors thrown in with the greens.

Caesar
10-05-2016, 09:03 PM
Applause! I think Your paintings would be a successful commercial item on Etsy or other similare e-commerce places ....

Drskmishra
10-05-2016, 09:57 PM
Thanks both of you sir, you sure helped me learn the basics. Shall keep improving.

kenmo
10-08-2016, 05:23 AM
Nice work with ArtRage...

Drskmishra
10-08-2016, 09:00 PM
So kind of you, thanks.

Ava Jarvis
10-09-2016, 10:58 AM
Your landscapes are quite inspiring.

I've noticed in most amateur landscapes that the colors are dull, lighting is not used to good effect, and composition isn't considered. However, this is not a problem for you, even in your earliest art on this thread. Your latest pictures have really nice lighting, and feel dynamic and alive.

I feel that lighting and composition are not made good use of in most amateur landscapes, but neither is a problem with you. You're working them up as strengths.

Keep up the good job.

Drskmishra
10-09-2016, 05:54 PM
Thanks a million, for having taken such keen interest in my paintings. Have been trying to improve with the help of senior artists at this forum and that has worked wonders for me.

Drskmishra
10-12-2016, 08:05 PM
Have tried again to detail it, seek suggestions from all please.