PDA

View Full Version : Help with painting trees in oils.

joshrose
12-22-2014, 07:58 AM

The clouds, sky and mountains were basically just painted with the oil brush. But I really need some textured strokes to paint my foliage and foreground. But whenever I use sticker sprays I feel like they look fuzzy and out of focus when juxtaposed against oil brush work. Some people will use large stroke with varied values, Ala traditional oil painting, but that's a more impressionistic/impasto look than I'm going for.

I'm looking for any advice on how to get textured strokes to make foliage. I have tried dozens of different sticker sprays, and I've even made my own brushes. I've also tried using the oil brush with light loading, and just tapping the canvas, which does get you some texture, but I've struggled to really make that work.

The image above is a finished example of this problem. The one below is my work in progress.

Enug
12-22-2014, 02:22 PM
Have you tried these brushes? http://artrage.deviantart.com/art/Nature-Brushes-set-406663097

joshrose
12-24-2014, 06:00 PM
Thanks for recommending those. I have played with them a bit, and they seem really good!