PDA

View Full Version : Traced painting.

Enug
12-05-2014, 11:41 PM
I tried so many times to paint this scene but I couldn't manage it so I thought I'd try the AR tracing function. I used a sticker spray - Rake - and was surprised how easy it was - took no time at all. Now if I could just paint like that myself! It was interesting to see the colours coming thru and I would like to think that I learnt something from that alone.

This is the original - as you can see I cropped the photo.

BillD
12-06-2014, 12:13 AM
nice job...and a good crop.

Caesar
12-06-2014, 01:39 AM
This marvellous view really deserved to be painted, one way or the other, and You did a fantastic job here! Brava! It made me wish to give a watercolor try if there's no permission or royalty required... :rolleyes::eek::o;)

Bobbi
12-06-2014, 02:24 AM
Satisfying, isn't it? Try different stickers as brushes for tracing. Experiment using different settings for the brushes/stickers. Use the pencil tool to outline your tracing image and use different layers to add your color, etc. You can use your own photos for your tracing image. Keep experimenting, and above all, have fun. ;)

stevemawmv
12-06-2014, 07:09 AM
Hello June....It's fun to experiment and see the results....and these are fantastic!

Jolis-Chevaux
12-06-2014, 07:40 AM
How lovely! I think I need to try that. You need to send it in for printing and frame it. :D

eighty+
12-06-2014, 02:57 PM
Hi June Not a good Habit to get into otherwise we will all just send coloured Photos and forget how to draw

which is the main problem with digital ok maybe I'm just to old to use these modem gagets even when I

turn out rubbish at least I'm happy knowing its my Rubbish CIAO June HOO ROO :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Enug
12-06-2014, 05:27 PM
Thanks everyone for looking and commenting.

Caesar I joined a group where photographers submit their photos to be used for painting references - it was only when I read the small print saying that while you are encouraged to post your painted result, the group doesn't recognise digital painting as art. However I see nowhere that the photographer doesn't want their photos used as refs for digital paintings. So.....I have used the photos as a digital ref. You can visit the site and make your own judgement. http://paintmyphoto.ning.com/

Mr.Ploos I wholeheartedly agree with you but.....I so wanted to paint the picture. I will have another go and used my traced piece as a ref. Perhaps that way I will learn how to introduce the colours which is what I'm finding so hard.

I'll post my result but you have to promise not to laugh!

justjean
12-06-2014, 06:16 PM
June, this looks great, now I must try that tracing thing :)

eighty+
12-06-2014, 07:02 PM
June no I wouldn't Laugh as you have always helped me out on computer and Artrage gadgits That I can't

understand ok I might cough behind my Hand :):):) to be Polite ok CIAO IVAYA CON DIOS HOO ROO :eek::

copespeak
12-07-2014, 06:42 PM
Peoples and Mr Ploos particularly ..... Paint My Photo do not allow their photos to be used for digital art. Sad, as I don't think they quite realise what we do now.

I do have another good site somewhere on my big computer, but am away from it for a few days. Will post the link when I get back. :) :)

D Akey
12-08-2014, 07:35 AM
I feel like there is part of the conversation missing here, so all I can say is 'huh?'

Was that to mean there's a site that puts photos up for people to paint? But that they do not want anyone to use digital with it? Just old school traditional?

Meanwhile, back at the mill, it's a right nice painting. Looks like you have some good things getting learned -- nice colors. Good way to find out what happens when you do X, Y and Z.

Once you get the knack for that kind of thing, you can then take those ideas over to many applications in other paintings. You figure out how you can push color and still make it work. You can try out different brush stroking techniques, where you can see how far you can jazz it up and still have it remain flat in place like a plane or wall.

All good mileage.

If Copespeak was saying that you took this picture from that group, I'll venture that there are countless other sources of pics where they don't have such restrictions. And there's also you taking your own pics to work from, or people giving you photos of theirs, which is probably the most common way for people using reference.

When you surf the net, you might want to start making a folder on your computer of pics you don't have to worry about, where they let you do what you like with it. So you can still surf the net and get inspired, and build your own stockpile from which you can draw. . . or paint :)

All part of the dance.

Enug
12-08-2014, 03:44 PM
Yes DA you did miss part of the conversation. The site is http://paintmyphoto.ning.com/ and I joined before I read the fine print that you can't submit digital renderings of the photos offered. However last night I emailed the site owner asking if he would reconsider accepting digital artists - it had been under discussion before. His reply was that the site would continue to be for real media artists but invited me to contact the owner of a photo I would like to use. It is only the site that has the restrictions not the photographers who submit photos.

I usually go here http://www.morguefile.com/ for my photos and as you have suggested I do have a folder of sites where the photographers allow the use of their photos.

http://animalphotos.info/a/ is as the name suggests, a site of wonderful bird and animal photos.

Also this one http://www.google.com/advanced_image_search has copyright free images - I found two photos of the mill there.

gxhpainter2
12-10-2014, 05:43 AM
June. I like the outcome from your tracing and use of the Rake sticker... I feel like I have to comment on the whole idea of photos, tracing, etc. if you don't mind. While 99.9% of people on this forum use ArtRage as a substitute natural media tool. That is they hand drawing and paint using AR's remarkable brush engine to create digital paintings and drawings. It occurs to me there is a whole other area that it could excel in.. a step child as it were and that is photo manipulations. In this art form the starting point uses a photo ... and then the artist uses the tool to change the photo ( a high frequency image - meaning extreme detail and natural color ) to a low frequency image with creative colors , textures etc.

We seem to struggle with the fact that photo manipulation is not art or will some how corrupt the true artist.. but I think it is fun and it is own form of artistic expression. You as the individual are making digital decisions to change the original into its own form.. I think digital painting and photo manipulation are two different artistic expressions both using digital media... and I would not apologize for doing it, and it might lead you to better drawing and painting skills on the other side of the coin.

just my opinion... and I like this work a lot.

Enug
12-10-2014, 05:43 PM
Thanks Gary for you comments. I think tracing has a place - it's fun and easy way to paint. However I don't fool myself that I have created a great painting and I would never try to fool anyone into thinking it is an original piece.

I have done some photo manip in Paint Shop Pro, often following PS tutorials and have enjoyed the results immensely.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff85/enug66/Photo%20Manipulations/apple_orange_zpsd909ff0c.jpg

Enug
12-10-2014, 05:56 PM
Another couple....the first a stock photo of two tomatoes.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff85/enug66/Digital_Painting/ShinyGlassYellowTomatoes.png

A photo of a sheet of steel was used for the bird.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff85/enug66/Digital_Painting/silverbird.jpg

justjean
12-10-2014, 07:11 PM
Great looking work June, I also have fun with PSP altho I only use the Anniversary Ed. V7 of it now :)

Enug
12-11-2014, 12:50 AM
Hi Jean - since I've caught the AR bug I only use PSP these days for post work on my paintings. I stayed with XI but also picked up PSP9 later for when I wanted to write and share scripts.

justjean
12-11-2014, 01:05 AM
I only use it for when I want to write on a curly line, resizing and tidying up my hard drive :D I felt that every ver. after 7 was less and less a painting program and I never use my Painter programs anymore

gxhpainter2
12-11-2014, 06:35 AM
these are both nice work!... I love the transparent tomatoes... I also let people know that what they are looking at is a photo manip. and surprisingly they seem to appreciate the work for what it is and think they are cool. I use Photoshop Creative Cloud.. for the most part... for those types of work but I have started using the trace function in AR... I actually some times load up my original paintings as a trace image and then proceed to paint over it... adding more brush like work to the original.... sounds goofy but it is a way to add in to an original..

Saphire
12-11-2014, 08:05 AM
Thank you enug for the link to animals and birds my source had dried up thats why i changed to flowers. The link is now bookmarked.

Enug
12-11-2014, 01:24 PM
Gary.

I have started using the trace function in AR... I actually some times load up my original paintings as a trace image and then proceed to paint over it... adding more brush like work to the original.... sounds goofy but it is a way to add in to an original..

So interesting to hear how others work.

Saphire, my pleasure.:)