PDA

View Full Version : A monochromatic scene

Enug
11-17-2014, 06:50 PM
This started life as a practice piece for mountains using a palette knife - then it took off on it's own.:)

Thanks Kenmo for the tree stencils.

I tried to improve the composition by using the rule of thirds - not sure if it worked.

I duplicated the sky and mountains and flipped them then adjusted opacity to make a reflection. I couldn't find a way to do this in ArtRage - transform doesn't flip - so I took it to PSP. Making a stencil from the layer and flipping that horizontally might have worked but I would have had to apply the paint.

Anyone have ideas for this workaround?

D Akey
11-17-2014, 08:07 PM
Nice textures. Placid tone. I suddenly feel sorta Chinese and am hearing flute music. :):):):):)

Once you have it selected using the transform tool, right click and one of the choices is 'flip vertically'. Does this answer what you're talking about?

stevemawmv
11-17-2014, 08:17 PM
Hello June....It does have quite a calming effect, and I like that....Nicely done!
Take care,
Steve

Enug
11-17-2014, 08:34 PM
Thanks DA and Steve.:)

Mr.Akey, am I being dumb but I don't see those choices for the transform tool - I do see them for the stencil.:confused:

Caesar
11-17-2014, 09:29 PM
Very fine view and tonal rendering!

markw
11-18-2014, 01:31 AM
Thanks DA and Steve.:)

Mr.Akey, am I being dumb but I don't see those choices for the transform tool - I do see them for the stencil.:confused:

Hi Enug,
Having copied the layer you want to flip for the reflections;
1: Select/click on 'Transform Layer Contents...' for the layer. This activates a bounding box around all elements on the selected layer.
2: Right click anywhere inside the bounding box and from the popup menu select 'Flip Vertical'

D Akey
11-18-2014, 05:28 AM
That's right. Thanks MarkW for the expansion. I was moving too fast.

June, did that make more sense? Duplicatable?

Enug
11-18-2014, 01:33 PM
Yep, I was being dumb - I was trying to drag on the nodes of the bounding box - didn't occur to me to do the Rclick.:o

DA, I know that's what you said - but............you needed to take me by the hand and tell me to click INSIDE the bounding box!

Thanks Mark - in my case - 'a picture is worth a thousand words.';) Interesting painting you're working on there - hippos?

And Caesar thanks to you for the kind words.

eighty+
11-18-2014, 01:41 PM
Hi June :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: :confused: the next thing and I'll be standing on my head :eek::eek::eek::cool::cool::cool: CIAO POZDRAWSKI

Enug
11-18-2014, 07:30 PM
Hi Mr.Ploos - not trying to confuse anyone - except myself.:D:D This is what I wanted to do. It's two layers - one duplicated and flipped upside down. Bet you knew that already!

copespeak
11-18-2014, 07:35 PM
Nice painting June! I had forgotten about the flip! Now I can have some fun!

Rachelle
11-19-2014, 07:28 PM
Enug! nothing to do with dumb!

It took me quite a while to find a way to flip a layer too. Along with the tips already shared here, if your workstation includes a keyboard, you can hit the letter H for horizontal flip, and the letter V for vertical. Just make sure you're on the right layer of course, and that the "transformation" mode is activated.

If you want to flip ALL layers at once, go to the Edit Menu, where you choose between "transform the layer" or "transform all layers". Then you can use the H and V keys again.

Nice meditative scene you're doing there :)

D Akey
11-19-2014, 08:58 PM
Yep, I was being dumb - I was trying to drag on the nodes of the bounding box - didn't occur to me to do the Rclick.:o

DA, I know that's what you said - but............you needed to take me by the hand and tell me to click INSIDE the bounding box!

Now come on, Enug and quit your goofing around. Reach your cursor over and click inside, I SAY, CLICK INSIDE the bloody bounding box, for pity sake. . . Ya tell her, I say ya tell her to right click, and she goes and grabs the corners. . . She's a smart kid and all, but she don't listen to a word ya say. . .

Enug
11-20-2014, 01:00 AM
:p :p :p

D Akey
11-20-2014, 06:06 AM
You realize that I only went on to joke about it because you started it and I knew you'd take it right. And I rarely pass up a chance to dust off my old imitation of Foghorn Leghorn.

Hey, there's so much to learn. I myself am new to a lot of things in ArtRage (and many know it) and other programs that I'm completely new to and know full well in trying to learn a program that until we grasp the basic logic of how it was written, as new users we're thinking about 100 things at once, far and away most of which are irrelevant. But we don't know it until we do it right a time or two, or three or four, at which time it narrows down to the simple process it finally becomes.

It was always a mystery to "older" people when personal computers hit the scene how hard it was for us and how easy it seemed for kids to just fly with it. I thought I was pretty adept until I saw my son jump in and he, like his peers, was operating at a whole different level. I think in large part because they weren't intimidated by looking wrong or even stupid, and they just did stuff with no blocks at all. They just kept pressing buttons thereby accelerating over the learning curve like one of these kids who fly through the air on bicycles and skateboards and motorcycles. "Older" people would look at that and think jumping motorcycles etc is nuts. And the kids didn't know just how nuts it is, so they do it.

My mom is nearly 90 yet to this very day has NEVER jumped her bike more than 10 feet. She works in health care and talks herself out of it. No wait. . . she can't even do email and has never gotten past calling someone furious her computer's broken because she can't get her email. I go over and it works fine. She finally married a physician who CAN do email. But he's all of 5 days younger than her, which apparently qualified him for grasping that particular skill. It's an age thing. It appears that the time you were born, and the planetary aspects therein, suggests which generation of computer chip in our brains we were born with.

Go June Go Go GOOooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!