PDA

View Full Version : Computer woes.

Enug
11-16-2014, 05:48 PM
Somehow my Windows 8 started downloading the 8.1 update without me wanting it. I may have accidentally clicked on the annoying splash screen which appears from time to time. Anyway I wasn't able to stop the upgrade so went along with it.

At first look it seemed OK but soon I found my computer didn't like it at all and had decided to have a 'hissy fit' - so many things acting up that I decided that the only way out was to do a factory default back to Windows 8. I saved everything before reverting back so it was quite straightforward to get 8 up and running as I like it - tweaks and all.

Then my second monitor got the sulks and wouldn't wake up. After trial and error with various other computers around the house, found out it was the VGA usb adapter. Downloaded a new driver and everything is rosy again.

In the middle of this our electrical supply dept. decided to upgrade and we were without power for most of one day.

Now back to painting.

D Akey
11-16-2014, 06:02 PM
Somehow my Windows 8 started downloading the 8.1 update without me wanting it. I may have accidentally clicked on the annoying splash screen which appears from time to time. Anyway I wasn't able to stop the upgrade so went along with it.

At first look it seemed OK but soon I found my computer didn't like it at all and had decided to have a 'hissy fit' - so many things acting up that I decided that the only way out was to do a factory default back to Windows 8. I saved everything before reverting back so it was quite straightforward to get 8 up and running as I like it - tweaks and all.

Then my second monitor got the sulks and wouldn't wake up. After trial and error with various other computers around the house, found out it was the VGA usb adapter. Downloaded a new driver and everything is rosy again.

In the middle of this our electrical supply dept. decided to upgrade and we were without power for most of one day.

Now back to painting.

Quite an ordeal, Enug! Maddening, no? Well you strike me as the determined type, so good on ya to see it all through to have your computer all present and correct. Was wondering what happened to you. Glad it's handled. The big problem though is that while you were gone. . .<sigh>. . . don't know how to say this exactly. . . well, can you see any sheep? Anywhere? I think you know who's to blame. You caught them in a quick painting, red handed. Best paint yourself a nice proud sheep dog to stand watch.

stevemawmv
11-16-2014, 07:19 PM
Hi June.....
Sounds like a full day mess..glad you sorted it all out.....Can be a frustrating and time consuming nightmare sometimes!
Was wondering where you were.....thought maybe you went back to Singapore. Now your up and running...how bout
picking one from the flock and giving it a bit of paint.....
Take care friend,
Steve

Enug
11-16-2014, 07:56 PM
Talking of sheep dogs - here's a clever feller.:cool:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/national/not-just-a-sheep-dog-chip-deals-with-all-the-emus-at-one-farm/story-fnpn0zn5-1227094195095?nk=fde0c77f9423b4757bc776e5c845ed8f

D Akey
11-16-2014, 09:02 PM
HAHAHAHA!!!!!!!! That's just plain surreal to me. Looks like the live action version of The Dark Crystal. . .

Utterly charming. That dog is a treasure. I would watch a movie about him. :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::):):):):)

Enug
11-17-2014, 01:30 AM
Did you happen to see this film - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Dog_(film) about a red kelpie. While the film was made here in my State I couldn't bring myself to see it. I can't bear sad animal films. It was on TV a few nights ago and I still couldn't watch.

One of my twin granddaughters met Koko, the dog who played the part of Red Dog, on a promotional visit to our town.

You might get a chuckle from this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Su66nlzKC0

hildee
11-17-2014, 01:43 AM
Apparently that Windows 8.1 is a bitch of a thing. I remember koalablue had a terrible time with it, there was a big thread on "elsewhere" as you call it about it last year. I'm glad I don't have it but it will be interesting to see which way I go when Vista and/or my laptop decide to call it quits. Apparently 10 is coming out next year. Or so I heard from a couple in the games shop who were also complaining of Win8 and what it does to there gaming habit!

D Akey
11-17-2014, 04:39 AM
Did you happen to see this film - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Dog_(film) about a red kelpie. While the film was made here in my State I couldn't bring myself to see it. I can't bear sad animal films. It was on TV a few nights ago and I still couldn't watch.

One of my twin granddaughters met Koko, the dog who played the part of Red Dog, on a promotional visit to our town.

You might get a chuckle from this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Su66nlzKC0

Why would anyone want to watch a sad animal movie? I surely wouldn't.

Anyway, that link is great fun. Looks a right talent.

So did your granddaughter get an autograph as well? ;) What fun for a kid, eh? Celebrity AND a doggie rolled into one. What a memorable moment.

Had she seen the movie prior to meeting him?

Enug
11-17-2014, 02:25 PM
Had she seen the movie prior to meeting him?

Yes she had, so it was comforting to know that Koko was still alive - however, he has since gone to doggy heaven - I won't mention that to her.:(

She loves all animals and intends to be a veterinary surgeon. It was she who rescued me recently from a lizard!

Last year I had the most wonderful experience of spending an hour with two tiger cubs on their morning exercise. The cubs were about nine mths old so not so small. We took one of her older sisters so it was just the three of us with the cubs - we have promised her the experience too - she will meet the age and height requirements by then. Apparently the tigers get distracted by children and might want to eat them.!:eek:

copespeak
11-17-2014, 02:40 PM
June, I saw Chips with the emu chicks as well, but didn't watch Red Dog. It gets a bit silly towards the end, I thought.

I did have a beautiful red Kelpie many years back called Digger. He was an ex-show dog who was frightened of sheep and cows, the animals he was originally bred to muster.

He did want to chew up the postie though.... :) :)

hildee
11-17-2014, 06:55 PM
Why would anyone want to watch a sad animal movie? I surely wouldn't.

I didn't find it sad at all. Red Dog was a great movie, very well done and good acting.

How did you know it was sad if you didn't see it, June? :D

Enug
11-17-2014, 07:05 PM
Because I know the story - the dog dies in the end - you don't have to watch a movie to know the storyline.

Enug
11-17-2014, 07:17 PM
June, I saw Chips with the emu chicks as well, but didn't watch Red Dog. It gets a bit silly towards the end, I thought.

I did have a beautiful red Kelpie many years back called Digger. He was an ex-show dog who was frightened of sheep and cows, the animals he was originally bred to muster.

He did want to chew up the postie though.... :) :)

Robyn, I also owned briefly, a lovely little red kelpie I named Ruby. She wandered into our property - I suspect she had been born in the wild - probably her mother was abandoned. She was very wild and frightened and only about 5mths old. We had sold our property and were about to move to this cottage in the town so I couldn't take her with us as we already had two dogs.

In the couple of months before moving I was able to quieten her down and get her used to a collar and thus find her a home on a farm. Such beautiful and intelligent dogs.

My other twin granddaughter has just acquired a Jack Russell X Kelpie puppy I have yet to meet. She intends to take him to obedience classes - he should do well.

D Akey
11-17-2014, 09:03 PM
Yes she had, so it was comforting to know that Koko was still alive - however, he has since gone to doggy heaven - I won't mention that to her.:(

She loves all animals and intends to be a veterinary surgeon. It was she who rescued me recently from a lizard!

Last year I had the most wonderful experience of spending an hour with two tiger cubs on their morning exercise. The cubs were about nine mths old so not so small. We took one of her older sisters so it was just the three of us with the cubs - we have promised her the experience too - she will meet the age and height requirements by then. Apparently the tigers get distracted by children and might want to eat them.!:eek:

That is so cool. She's the lizard whisperer, eh? Or did she come rushing in with shield and sword or wielding smoke and mirrors spewing using magic spells? If she has any of your genes, she'll make a very compassionate vet.

BTW, on the opposite end of the spectrum, what the HELL are you doing walking a pair of tigers? I periodically as a boy had cats follow me home on my paper route. But Asia didn't happen to be on my route so the cats were only cougars and mountain lions. Didn't your momma ever teach you nothin'? Anyway, bet that pair helps to keep the street crime down. . . also the population. Looks like you ladies use the same hair color as them felines.

Enug
11-17-2014, 09:18 PM
I've been lucky to have had the opportunity to get up close and personal with several of the big cats. A litter of orphaned cheetahs were hand raised at our local open zoo and eventually were considered trained well enough to allow groups of six to pat the four cubs. They were 15mths old when I had the privilege of meeting them. I was delighted to hear them purr!

Feeding lions was another experience. Not hands on like the other cats but visiting them in their night quarters and feeding them by putting the meat into a chute from the safety of a fence between us. These animals were not hand raised.

So you get the idea from the above that I looooove cats - big and small!:cool::cool:

PS. Red hair - granddaughter is a natural - mine while never as bright as her's, has faded somewhat so I give it a helping hand. More auburn these days.:D