PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to my Garden

copespeak
11-14-2014, 10:05 AM
I was sitting reading an art magazine in the doctor's waiting room yesterday, and came across an artist advertising to paint people's gardens. She was very good too, from the small ad.

My studio garden is magnificent at the moment and worthy of painting I thought.

So, here is the front section, from the front gate leading to my gorgeous studio.

The back and side gardens are equally as stunning, so I might have a crack at them too. I've tried to keep away from too much detail, but there is so much going on.

gxhpainter2
11-14-2014, 10:25 AM
are you sensing total jealousy here??!!?? ... a beautiful painting of a serene and gorgeous spot!... I am looking forward to other "views":):):):):cool::cool::cool::cool::cool: btw Its 12 degrees F and 6 inches of new snow today!... I swept off a patch of dirt under my blue spruce tree and have scattered a big handful of wild bird seed for the finches, sparrows and blue jays.. they are busy busy chowing down...

copespeak
11-14-2014, 12:06 PM
Hi Gary, yes, it is a superb place now, and everyone who comes is just blown away by the garden and the inside.

The garden is now about 10 years old and I thought this year wouldn't be a good one because of my rotten health, but it has surpassed itself. I get out there for a couple of hours each week and scratch away at a spot that needs work.

Snow!!! Wonderful!

We have had two falls of snow in the past 17 years I have been here, and one lot melted quickly in the morning. The other held for a few days and it was so lovely. The dogs had never seen it, so were very nervous of walking on it.

But I guess you get sick of it ....... :) :) :)

stevemawmv
11-14-2014, 02:21 PM
Very inspirational surroundings dear Robyn.....I' am quite envious of your studio sitting here at my dining room table/studio writing this reply to you....
I would like to see more of the garden, because these paintings of the front are magnificent....But you know what I wish you'd consider...a painting
of the interior......like one's we've all seen..'the artist at work in the studio'....you could stay anonymous showing just the back of youself to us....Or not, you don't seem shy....
anyway...you know what I mean...
Really like these and looking forward to more when you get the chance....
Take care friend,
Steve

Bobbi
11-14-2014, 04:10 PM
Really gorgeous! Well done.

copespeak
11-14-2014, 06:45 PM
Thank you Bobbi!

Steve, I will resize some pics of the inside, so you can see why I love it. It's been cleaned up for the Open Day, so everything's on the walls.

I've had a group of ladies come up here for 15 years at least on Fridays, and they have just gone an hour ago. They come up with their own projects, and work away, have cuppas, chat and play music. a couple of weeks ago everyone began singing something they all loved. A magic moment. I just help where I can, but they are a lovely group of friends. Of course, when they go, I collapse!! :) :)

stevemawmv
11-14-2014, 07:22 PM
Steve, I will resize some pics of the inside, so you can see why I love it. It's been cleaned up for the Open Day, so everything's on the wallsThanks Robyn....looking forward to seeing them.

Caesar
11-14-2014, 09:16 PM
Fabulous paintings and nice to see one of the luxuriant gardens of your house! :cool::D:D:D:D:D:DIf I may ask some of Your secrets, I would be curious to know the settings of the tools and canvas You use to get such a credible and tasty oil-like style, dear Robyn, on a colored background I think, since I love Your artful outcomes whatever the subject!

D Akey
11-15-2014, 06:14 AM
All I can say is that's yet another ideal realized -- the separate house for art. Out here, it's often called a pool house, for those inclined toward pool parties as a pastime. But you seem to have created a magnificent lifestyle. No wonder you are so prolific. You're totally committed and able to realize the separation of world. Beautiful garden to be sure. Reminds me of the real bohemians out here in California, the ones who created art colonies before they got super expensive and sought after by everyone else who wanted to bask in the beauty of the area that the artists were celebrating in paint for so long. I have an early memory of the smell of turpentine mixed with the smell of salt sea air and the sound of wind chimes and crashing waves. Sadly I was only a visitor. But boy did that make a lasting impression on me. I see your painting and with the bright light and lavish vegetation and think that even Monet would be envious.

Go Robyn! No wonder you're a top on the artist tour. And I would also say the appearance is encouraging to potential customers as well. It has the right artist vibe. Good on ya lass.

Marilyn Anne
11-15-2014, 02:38 PM
How inspiring to walk to your studio through all that!

copespeak
11-16-2014, 07:07 AM
This was actually what I had built on my partner's property when I moved in with him, so our kids could come and stay, and for my art .... mostly for my art. It has a kitchenette, bathroom and a bed alcove, then a large space with appropriate windows for excellent light and hanging space on the walls.

I was lucky that,although his property was pretty steep, it was large enough to cut a slice out of the hill near the house and plop the studio in there. We fenced it off separately and I built the garden by scudding around the steep hill with a mattock and carving out the banks into beds and lawn areas.

copespeak
11-16-2014, 07:16 AM
Last two is my working space, tidy and not so!

Caesar, I use a very dry brush because it doesn't blend readily and mash the colours up, but I can go back in and blend easily when I am ready. Of course, it will only blend if you merge onto a solid base.

Yes, I almost always colour my background, and often go back in on top of that, but under my actual (top) painting to pop some different colours in. This is great fun and you can really add some punch to your painting .... as in this one. I began with a terracotta colour and put purple and teal blue over the top of that. The brush is so dry and scratchy the underpainting shows through. Hope that helps!

justjean
11-16-2014, 07:18 AM
Robyn, your painting of your little piece of heaven is beautiful as are your gardens :)

stevemawmv
11-16-2014, 08:23 AM
Beautiful and tranquil, quiet too I guess except for the occasional sounds of your dogs out playing. Looks like a good size studio and tidiness isn't all it's cracked up to be....Besides the Digital workspace looks tidy and maneuverable...your traditional painting area reminds me 'lovingly of my Mom's room in our house growing up where she did her painting in...
Thanks for posting these Robyn....
Take care friend,
Steve

Enug
11-16-2014, 04:30 PM
A beautiful painting retreat Robyn - I helped myself to a cup of coffee while looking around.;)

D Akey
11-16-2014, 07:53 PM
Like The Who sang: " I want it I want it I want it I want it. . ."

Gorgeous, filled with light, and a boat load of coffee mugs. Either you're really lazy and keep going through all the coffee mugs before you clean them, of you bring 'coffee clutch' to a whole new level.

Gorgeous, a real showcase. So what kind of computer is that? Looks like my MAC.

So does it smell of oil paints at all, or are you one of those new style artists with water base mediums?

Boy, I can just feel the potential paintings just oozing out of the walls. You know those Bougerreau paintings of the bare chested madonna types who are surrounded by cherubs representing all the little babies just waiting their turn and toying with her to get her hooked up with some gentleman in order to get the ball rolling? I think this is the studio version of that. As the cherubs are to the madonna, so to there are figurative paintings just floating around toying with you to get you to put brush to canvas. . . or similarly, stylus to tablet.

Fantastic. Bohemian. And soooooo rich for an artist such as yourself. Lucky girl. Well created! Your little cherubs that already made it into the bodies started the ball rolling and primed the pump as it were for their 2D siblings. WOOOHOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

AndreaMG
11-17-2014, 04:14 AM
You're very lucky to have such a beautiful place to inspire you! Beautiful paintings too! :cool:

copespeak
11-17-2014, 01:57 PM
Thank you all for visiting!

I might add that my big Dell 27" computer lives mainly in the house, even though I would like another All-In-One down there. My ex-sister-in-law gave me her old Vista PC, and it's being very bad, even though I took it back to factory state. It's soooo slow, it needs chucking off the steep side of the deck and into the paddock! Now there's an idea! :) :)

The studio is very clean in the pics because they were taken on the morning of my Open Studio weekend. Also, the big line up of cups were for visitors to make a coffee if they wanted.

Mr Akey, if I see a painting oooozing out of the walls, I will scrape it off quickly and put it into a frame! Sounds easy!! :) :)

Caesar
11-17-2014, 10:23 PM
Dear Robyn, You literally took us all at home. I feel honored and congratulate You for Your gorgeous gardens and wonderful house. Seeing Your workplace and Your masterpieces displayed was also an interesting and breath taking experience, like visiting some great or famous master's atelier You had the fortune to know or meet. Here in Rome You can hardly afford anything vaguely comparable if you're not shamefully rich or very unpractically far away from the town and I've never got enough time and money from my artistic hobby to rent even a modest, but luminous attic ... but I know that In Tokio it would be far worse ...LOL;):o
Thank You also for Your tips on dry brush!:D:)

eighty+
11-18-2014, 12:51 AM
I ain't Saying Nuffink Coss I've just turned Green :eek: :mad:

gxhpainter2
11-18-2014, 06:52 AM
Robyn, thanks for all the great pictures, what a wonderful space! and beautiful garden surrounding it. Now that is living!... many years ago I rented a 15' x 10' space in the upper floor of an old warehouse, About 30 artists shared the space it had great light on one side, a big heater for the winter, a bathroom, and a small gallery space with chairs and a couch.. I was in heaven it was so much fun hanging out up there and sharing ideas and creative energy with the others. I get that with your visitors etc your space probably has that same creative energy surrounding it. PS thanks for the scrubby oil settings. I had gotten pretty close but did not have the loading set high enough...do we have to pay you royalties for using it? :rolleyes::rolleyes::cool::cool::cool::):):):):)

Vladislav
11-18-2014, 08:23 AM
Beautiful! Picturesquely as oil work!

copespeak
11-18-2014, 08:42 AM
You're welcome Caesar! I would imagine living in Rome would not leave much room to expand. I was very lucky to find a man who already had some acres and space free for my exclusive place in the world.

Eighty, it's not often you're speechless! :) :)

eighty+
11-18-2014, 01:33 PM
Robbie ok ok I'll tell one thing it makes me feel like going back on oil :cool: turps that is or white spirit Maybe the odd bottle of Courvoiser :eek: trouble all my oil paints

Will be like Rocks :(:(:( ok Ciao Robbie get back to your Studio :mad: :mad::mad: :mad: :mad:;) ;) :D:D:D:D:D:D:D POZDRAWSKI

copespeak
11-18-2014, 02:07 PM
Robyn, thanks for all the great pictures, what a wonderful space! and beautiful garden surrounding it. Now that is living!... many years ago I rented a 15' x 10' space in the upper floor of an old warehouse, About 30 artists shared the space it had great light on one side, a big heater for the winter, a bathroom, and a small gallery space with chairs and a couch.. I was in heaven it was so much fun hanging out up there and sharing ideas and creative energy with the others. I get that with your visitors etc your space probably has that same creative energy surrounding it. PS thanks for the scrubby oil settings. I had gotten pretty close but did not have the loading set high enough...do we have to pay you royalties for using it? :rolleyes::rolleyes::cool::cool::cool::):):):):)

Gary, it is wonderful to get other artists around as it does inspire new ideas and methods.

I think my studio is about 25' X 40' .... not quite sure, but I think that's right. And for summer, there's a bit deck to put your easel if you want fresh air. I always thought if I was looking for a few dollars, I could rent it out to artists, but I'm not ready to share like that yet, plus I would have to clear my junk!

No, no royalties for the brush :) :) , it's a pleasure. You have made good use of it already, and that's wonderful to see!