PDA

View Full Version : Rachelle's gallery

Rachelle
11-08-2014, 07:52 PM

Edited on January 5th, 2015, just to change the thread's title.
Formerly known as 'New abstract, found a way to use 'Difference' blend mode with a white base layer.'

Re-edited on January 13th, 2015, to end up with my more definitive thread title, simply Rachelle's gallery.

Greetings ArtRage folks,

My first post here!

I've been using ArtRage 3 for a couple of years now, and visiting the forum from time to time. Many of you have sparked the creativity when my paintbrush was on low batteries.

I mostly work with Oil (ArtRage Oil, that is!), and 'Blend modes' such as 'Difference'. I never quite know where I'll end up, starting randomly with color and shapes, letting the process guide me on a color and texture journey. As I dive into a painting by Transforming layers, shapes and color start standing out, and I then Transform some more, playing with Blend modes till I'm satisfied.

Here is the abstract piece I did today, with a new technique I wasn't using before: I usually keep the bottom layer on 'Normal' blend mode, but this time I checked what colors I would get if I set the bottom layer on 'Difference' too. I really liked it! yet when I Merged the layers, the result wouldn't have the same colors I had on screen before Merging. After much trials and tribulations, I eventually intuited that if I used a bottom layer of all white (Bucket tool), my desired result would still show after Merging all layers.

Here it is:

...it's a bird! ...it's a plane!... it's an abstract.

damasocl
11-09-2014, 01:04 PM
Rachelle: I loved your painting! It is a very personal style, and you have achieved incredible transparencies and textures ... I confess I do not properly use the theme "Blend mode" in the layers of Art Rage ... Congratulations, and we hope your next job.

Rachelle: Me encantó tu pintura! Es un estilo muy personal, y tú has logrado increíbles transparencias y texturas... Confieso que no manejo adecuadamente el tema "Blen mode" en las capas de Art Rage ... Felicitaciones, y esperamos tus próximos trabajos.

Rachelle
11-13-2014, 06:36 PM
Greetings damasocl,
and thank you for your kind words of appreciation :)

I do 'specialize' (or at least focus quite a lot!) on transparencies, mostly in an attempt to render the illusion of depth via layers of veils.

Although this is not related to the title of my thread, here is something I just 'almost-finished' - I will still want to do some fine-tuning on a few pixels...

...no white base layer used on this painting... question to anyone: can we change the title of our own thread, once it published? I can't yet bring myself to start a new thread for every painting I post :)

Here it is: for the time being, I call it "ballerina standing so very still, generating movement all around" (24x30inch)

copespeak
11-13-2014, 10:58 PM
Hi Rachelle, wonderful to see your fabulous paintings and hear some of your methods.

Your work is a joy to look at, and there are so many details to enjoy. You have obviously thought a lot about how to achieve different effects. Art Rage is just amazing when it is mixed with enthusiastic, creative artists.

I have only played a little with Difference, tending more towards Multiply and Overlay. I'm going to have another go!

Now to change your title, it's easy. Just go to your first post, go to Edit Post, and change the Title name. Having a thread that work is added to is good if you're doing lots. :) :)

Caesar
11-13-2014, 11:18 PM
Another interesting one! It looks like You're playing with soap bubbles from a 5 dimensional world ...

Alexandra
11-14-2014, 02:12 AM
Great outcome, Rachelle, beautiful!

Bobbi
11-14-2014, 04:22 PM
I love this. The colors are brilliant. If you ever upgrade to Art Rage 4, you will find a few more tools to experiment with. The fill tool is interesting and you would be surprised what you can come up with in paintings such as this one.

vvioletx
11-14-2014, 04:38 PM
So fascinate.. Awesome paintings!

gxhpainter2
11-15-2014, 04:40 AM
Yay another abstract painter!.... welcome and I love these they are very rich in form and texture. I hope we see more and more from you. Something you might try is to use the brush or ink pen with high smoothing and free drawing in some thick lines. the under layers lock the transparency. This will keep you from painting into any new areas. Then use the eraser to erase what you have done or you can just paint over using different colors and directions or painting tools to your previous brush strokes... have fun... can't wait to see new works

D Akey
11-15-2014, 05:10 AM
Certainly very evocative with allusions to other levels of perception, real or imagined, and visually very interesting from all the saturation. Makes it very dynamic. I could see someone choosing it as a cover graphic for a book on psychology or something equally universal, with an 'exploring dimensions in. . .' kind of theme, anything from chemistry to physics to new age spirituality. It would indicate excitement in exploration. . . either that or a brochure for tours of the lands of the crystalline jukebox.

Rachelle
11-19-2014, 07:04 PM
Thank you all, for the very nice words, wow!

I'm planning to take more time for replying individually and in a less speedy fashion, soon :o

For now, rushing before bedtime, I'm posting a WIP I'm having fun with. Still full of "bad pixels" which I'll have fun fixing later.

I'm not sure yet if I'll take it to some other direction, or if it's close to finished (aside from fine tuning it).
...It already underwent 3 plastic surgeries today (major transformations), so I'll sleep on it :)

Composition-wise, I'm not sure about the orientation (flip left to right / up to down)... for now I'm trying with this one:

PS-
No white base layer used on this one... yet, anyway. Lots of Difference and Incrustation blend modes... not sure if "Incrustation" is the correct English word in the App -- I'm using the French version ArtRage 3, where Incrustation is the 15th down the blend modes' list.

stevemawmv
11-19-2014, 07:26 PM
Wow!....Was away when these were posted...You've have a style that is vividly eye catching! Very much looking forward to more from you...'Oh! Welcome Rachelle'
Take care,
Steve

Enug
11-19-2014, 07:43 PM
Very pretty - looks like folds of gorgeous coloured satin or silk.

Rachelle
01-05-2015, 06:05 PM
Happy 2015 y'all :D

Between 3 heavy sessions of snow shoveling today -- and a 4th one yet needed -- I've found a bit of time to re-work an abstract I'd been twiddling with last month.

Oh, and I've changed this thread's title, to make it more of a general gallery of my work.
It used to be titled 'New abstract, found a way to use 'Difference' blend mode with a white base layer.'

And yes, I used the Difference mode with a white base layer here too ;)

Rachelle
01-05-2015, 06:18 PM
Wow!....Was away when these were posted...You've have a style that is vividly eye catching! Very much looking forward to more from you...'Oh! Welcome Rachelle'
Take care,
Steve

Thank you, Steve.
Today I've read about your spouse passing away recently. What to say... My thoughts go out to you.

carlcath
01-06-2015, 01:24 PM
this looks like it has a piece of glass over it. Like it. what did you do to get that effect?

D Akey
01-07-2015, 05:35 AM
What a celebration of color. They say that oil and water don't mix, but as I kid I often marveled at when a couple drops of oil or gasoline fell onto a wet concrete or asphalt how it created a prismatic effect as it spread. Or soap bubble. This last one has that kind of feel for me -- a refracting sort of feel.

Rachelle
01-07-2015, 05:07 PM
this looks like it has a piece of glass over it. Like it. what did you do to get that effect?

Greetings carlcath :)
Thank you! I do so many manipulations and transformations to many layers, for hours on end (sometimes days), that it will be a challenge to attempt explaining my process. Yet, I will try to do just that to answer your question, soon, and will even try to prepare an example to show some of the steps.

I yet haven't tried the script recording function in ArtRage, so I'll look into that soon. I'm pretty sure I'll find some helpful pointers somewhere here in the community.

And greetings D Akey :)
Thanks! Indeed, refraction and prismatic effects are notions that I try to express in many of my paintings, along with transparencies and what I could call "veils of depth". It's a bit of an obsession...:o ...I'm glad it's a happy colourful one :D

Rachelle
01-07-2015, 05:42 PM
So here's a still wet one I worked on today, for once stepping away from the prismatics and refraction. I actually started with a painting that did have those effects, but then pushed it to another direction by altering my 'recipe', towards a different twist on iridescence.

I have to say that I don't usually start a painting with a result or even a subject in mind; I let the abstraction speak to me as I go, and sometimes I do find a subject emerging amidst my manipulations. As in this case:

It's a bird! it's a plane! ...ah.. yep okay, it's a bird. Perhaps a hummingbird?

stevemawmv
01-07-2015, 05:46 PM
Happy 2015 y'all :Between 3 heavy sessions of snow shoveling today -- and a 4th one yet needed -- I've found a bit of time to re-work an abstract I'd been twiddling with last month.Well I am glad you found the time for this one, 'twiddling' is much more fun then shoveling.....
Take care and Happy New Year Rachelle!
Steve

Wow! Just saw the new one.....Really fantastic, maybe a bird on a plane humming?
Nicely done!

Rachelle
01-08-2015, 01:54 AM
Thanks Steve :)
...That bird/plane/hummer is a discovery for me, texture-wise. It's growing on me, to the point where I had trouble putting him out of my mind for sleep. so I got up again, and ended up twiddling some more. I came up with this variation on the painting I showed just before 'the hummer' ;) Back to prismatics and a bit of refraction. And a white base layer to achieve the desired filter of color ('Difference' and also other Blend filters).

Now, instead of new brushstrokes, this one required re-baking. Something akin to refried beans or twice-baked potatoes.

I'm calling it:
"pixel caracal stuck in bubble with turtoise"
25" x 20"

disclaimer:
This wildcat was recently found hiding in plain sight within another painting, surfing swiftly incognito atop a pink fish. He's now immobilized, or at least much slowed down, like his bubbled hard-shelled companion's speed.

:)

Caesar
01-08-2015, 10:31 PM
Like colorful compositions with by melting and merging pigmented glasses in Murano!

Rachelle
01-09-2015, 05:15 PM
Hail Caesar :)

Yes! glass melting and blowing! I just recently discovered the wonderful art of glassblower Dale Chihuly, via a thread here from Marilyn Anne. Here is her thread, and her beautiful rendition of a Chihuly 'play':

http://forums.artrage.com/showthread.php?48033-If-Chihuly-Played

Many of Chihuly's pieces remind me of some of my imagery. It's so very inspiring for me! Here is an image of his which I find bears similarity to what I do -- or should I say, my stuff bears similarity to his stuff, lol, since his work most likely predates mine:

http://www.edgoodfellow.com/slideshow/Miscellaneous/slides/Dale%20Chihuly%20Art%20Glass%2011.jpg

I'm not sure I'd be allowed to use the image directly here (copyright and all) so I just included the link to the image.

Rachelle
01-09-2015, 05:44 PM
Here's a new one I toyed with today. I'm often playing with the depth of field, with layers of veils. Most of the time I apprehend/perceive these veils as textiles, even if they end up representing/expressing something not textile.

Sometimes it's not clear what elements belong strictly in the foreground, and what is background. Sometimes I push the work till those aspects become evident; some other times, I end up accepting that foreground and background are confused... part of the mystery, I guess :)

Probably a 16"x20"...

Rachelle
01-10-2015, 07:45 AM
I'm gonna try to post all 4 images in one post, but not sure if it will work.
Edit: I'm posting each in a separate post, or else they were all bunched together as one long vertical painting.

All four paintings are from the same base image, and then each has it's own filters: I play with Blend modes -- one of my favorite ArtRage tools after the canvas has been pigmented.

Here are the main recipe ingredients:

1a
soft, blue middle line
base image, then a second layer of same image on Exclusion blend mode.

1b
soft, pink middle line
same as 1a, but I added a third layer of same image also on Exclusion blend mode.

1c
bold, pink middle line
same as 1b, and I added a fourth layer of same image, this time on 'Incrustation blend mode' (I'm not sure how 'Incrustation' would be called in the English version of ArtRage Studio Pro, I'm using the French version).

1d
bold, blue middle line
same recipe as for image 1c, but I turned off one of the 'Exclusion' layers.

I'm posting all four images in the same orientation/composition, yet I'm pondering on the possibility of flipping some of them vertical and/or horizontal, to display 2 or 3 or 4 of them as an ensemble. Perhaps three or four unidentical twins, of sorts...:p Oh cool, I think I just found the title for them. :cool:

Here is 1a - soft, blue middle line

Rachelle
01-10-2015, 07:48 AM
Here is 1b- soft, pink middle line

Rachelle
01-10-2015, 07:49 AM
Here is 1c- bold, pink middle line

Rachelle
01-10-2015, 07:51 AM
And here is 1d- bold, blue middle line

Marilyn Anne
01-10-2015, 10:12 PM
They are so fluid and interesting. The colors are beautiful. Lovely to look at!

D Akey
01-11-2015, 05:19 AM
I like them too. I personally resonate with the ones that go all the way to white in the spectrum. Good stuff!

Rachelle
01-13-2015, 07:16 PM
Thank you so, Marilyn Anne :)
I love to experiment with that fluidity, and vibrant colors.

Much thanks too, D Akey :)
I agree with you, in these four pieces I prefer the fuller spectrum towards white. Yet, I wish I could achieve that, while still keeping the softness of the two paintings that have a narrower spectrum. Maybe I'll push some of these non-identical twins back through the wringer soon. :)

Rachelle
01-13-2015, 07:26 PM
Now with this new one, aside from stepping away from white in the spectrum -- inspired by Stevemawmv's clair-obscur, here:

http://forums.artrage.com/showthread.php?45586-Stevemawmv-s-Gallery-(Shared-Reflections-)/page129

-- I'm also experimenting with some 'dirtier' texture challenging the fluidity. I'm not sure if the dirtiness works...

Rachelle
01-15-2015, 07:05 PM
I'm trying vivid...

I'm thinking big bold vivid Sharpie markers...

...done with 100% ArtRage Oil paint. My favorite pigment in ArtRage. I use it 99.99915437% of the time.:p

"pixel chrysalis"

Rachelle
01-15-2015, 08:23 PM
Another piece from the same base-painting I used for "pixel chrysalis".
Often I paint big, then seek more interesting smaller sections within the big piece. Stretch and reposition.

Caesar
01-15-2015, 09:18 PM
I like these perturbations and waves going on the n-brane of Your multi-dimensional universes.

Rachelle
01-15-2015, 09:35 PM
Thank you, Caesar :)

I first thought you had made a typo error (n-brane) until I had the notion to try and google it.... Oh!! Are you referring to String Theory? About my paintings????

:wow and shock, eyebrows to the ceiling:

If so, this is real real cool of you! :cool:

:o

Caesar
01-15-2015, 10:33 PM
Yeah, I found no other adequate disciplne to express appreciation to Your artpieces ...:o;)

Rachelle
01-16-2015, 09:56 PM
Caesar :o
I'm welcoming your generous words of appreciation! Grazie :)
Regarding your not finding any other adequately expressive discipline, ha! I remember D Akey saying something like "crystalline jukebox" on my first page here. I googled and scratched my head in wonder and ponder, still I don't know what the expression could mean, aside from whatever ad-lib interpretation I made in my mind. It sure does sound nice anyhoo. :o;)
I'll ask D Akey when I see him.:confused:

I'm gonna come back to post four or five pieces of a "triptyque". Yeah, it's that 'unidentical bunch of twins' phenomenon again.

I did a "mothership painting" today, a.k.a. one large painting whithin which I find (and rework) smaller paintings. In this case, I'm going to post those section pieces first, and the "mothership" last. I prefer the sections to the actual mothership, yet I'm grateful to "her" for having carried many offsprings in her womb.:rolleyes:

So here is offspring numero uno:
16" x 20"

Rachelle
01-16-2015, 09:59 PM
Here is offspring numero 2:
16" x 20"

Rachelle
01-16-2015, 10:01 PM
Here is offspring numero 3:
16" x 20"

Rachelle
01-16-2015, 10:03 PM
Here is offspring numero 4:
16" x 20"

Rachelle
01-16-2015, 10:06 PM
...and lastly, the "mothership" painting, which contains all four offsprings:
20" x 16"

------

Oooooops! Edit required:
The mothership does NOT contain numero 1, as I just realized that there was a GRANDmothership before the mothership!
So technically, numero 1 is like a step-sibbling to the other offsprings...:confused:??.... or... (this is getting confusing) numero 1 is actually a sibbling to the mothership !:confused:!!

;)

Caesar
01-16-2015, 11:07 PM
These last three seem pieces of the (grand)mothership or flagship of Your amazing alien art invasion! :cool: You appear to share Escher's passion for crystals purity and rationality, although with a more dynamic approach of crystal/waves dual nature of Your art. You seem to have Your artistic Schroedinger's equation computer built-in, to get these kaleidoscopic images, just to stay within a less exotic type of physics. If You were an Escher epigone, though, You would possibly put Your figures on a casual, messy, dirt background bed of all other natural objects which are disfigured prey of the entropy, thus contrasting the order set in Your creations. :rolleyes::confused: what did I write? uhhmm, I guess I should have not added ginseng to my coffee ... LOL:o;)

pat1940
01-17-2015, 11:56 AM
Beautiful colors and such lovely designs, love your work

Rachelle
01-17-2015, 07:08 PM
Greetings pat1940 :)
Thank you for your kind words! I'm glad you enjoyed your visit here.:o

And Caesar,

These last three seem pieces of the (grand)mothership or flagship of Your amazing alien art invasion! :cool: You appear to share Escher's passion for crystals purity and rationality, although with a more dynamic approach of crystal/waves dual nature of Your art. You seem to have Your artistic Schroedinger's equation computer built-in, to get these kaleidoscopic images, just to stay within a less exotic type of physics. If You were an Escher epigone, though, You would possibly put Your figures on a casual, messy, dirt background bed of all other natural objects which are disfigured prey of the entropy, thus contrasting the order set in Your creations. :rolleyes::confused: what did I write? uhhmm, I guess I should have not added ginseng to my coffee ... LOL:o;)

Wow! thank you for expressing your reaction to my art with such wonderful verve.;):cool:

About the Schroedinger's equation computer built-in... oh I think it's mostly ArtRage, lol, rather than me! Thank you for even wondering so -- though I'm not sure I could achieve these similar effects and compositions without ArtRage. I'm not bothering to try, I'm perfectly satisfied with ArtRaging on and on...

Now about Escher's epigone... see attached painting below... If I'd have deliberately tried to emulate Escher's style, I likely would have failed at even being a poor epigone, let alone a "half-decent poor emulator", lol. Yet, after reading your reply #43 above, I went on to paint another of my randomly started artwork, having no idea where and what it would lead to.

After I had it mostly finished, staring at it in disbelief, I couldn't help but hear your voice in my head (scary, I know!) repeating these words of yours... crystal/waves dual nature... kaleidoscopic images... alien art invasion... mothership... and then... casual, messy, dirt background bed of all other natural objects which are disfigured prey of the entropy.

I might just have epigone'd Escher by accident! with this messy/dirty/structured bunch of waves generated by the shattering wet landing of The Mothership of Art Invasion.:cool:

I'm quite pleased with it, and it's a departure from my present style -- I don't know what my style would be called, lol -- towards a more "illustrator" style, which I'm not versed in.

"The Crash Landing of Mothership Epigone"
16" x 20"

Bobbi
01-18-2015, 03:59 AM
Rachelle, for the fun of it, take one of these versions of your painting and try using the fill tool. Aim the tool on one of the colors and see what happens. And when I say the fill tool, I am not talking about the gradient fill. The results may make the abstracts even more fun to do. ;)

damasocl
01-18-2015, 08:45 AM
Wonderful works!!!!

screenpainter
01-18-2015, 07:47 PM
amazing! beautiful results.

Victor Osaka
01-18-2015, 09:16 PM
Your work reminds me of the dichroic art glass photographs I used to see in the 80s (at a lab I used to work at). Your work is mesmerizing.

Rachelle
01-19-2015, 07:15 PM
Rachelle, for the fun of it, take one of these versions of your painting and try using the fill tool. Aim the tool on one of the colors and see what happens. And when I say the fill tool, I am not talking about the gradient fill. The results may make the abstracts even more fun to do. ;)

:) Thanks Bobbi :)
I've now tried what I think corresponds with your suggestion -- using the "bucket of paint" (fill tool? I'm using the French version of ArtRage 3.5). Other than that I'm not familiar with a gradient fill? Anyhoo, yes your suggestion is fun to do, and I'll make time soon to experiment some more with it and show it here.

Wonderful works!!!!

:) Damaso, Merci, gracias, thank you! :) :o:o:o

amazing! beautiful results.

:) Merci beaucoup screenpainter! :) Glad you like my work. :o:o:o

Your work reminds me of the dichroic art glass photographs I used to see in the 80s (at a lab I used to work at). Your work is mesmerizing.

:) Merci Victor :D :o:o:o
I learned a new word from you: I googled "dichroic". Turns out I've seen some glass like that before, yet didn't know it was used in art, especially in such a vastly developed way. And.... Wow. I almost got lost in google images of dichroic glass today, thanks for that too!! :cool:

Anybody ever heard of "dichroic digital painting" before????
I'm wondering if this would fit as one descriptor (amongst others) for my work. Lol, I'm a bit at a loss for "other" descriptors too. I just "do" my art, and I call it abstract... Although there are a few words I already identify my work to, such as:

veils
transparency
crystal
prismatic

...and not to leave behind D Akey's "crystalline jukebox"
and Caesar's alian art, String Theory's n-brane, crystal/waves dual nature, perturbations, kaleidoscopic...

:D

Rachelle
01-19-2015, 07:22 PM
A new piece, experimenting in generating rythm, by noise and waves... there might be later versions or spin-offs from it.:)

Caesar
01-19-2015, 10:11 PM
In the crashlanding You seem to have reached the acme of the series of waves, soap bubbles, glass blowing rendering of multi-universes. It's a "sublime" end of them all. Now You contaminated Your last artpiece Hyper-reality with noise and enthropy affecting those elegant surfaces, thus possibly reminding that omnia pulcra, any beautiful thing, as solemny said in Latin, cannot last forever, but will ineluctably, progressively decay.:(:)

Enug
01-20-2015, 12:45 AM
Reminds me of the oily prisms seen on roadways after rain.

Rachelle
01-21-2015, 11:42 PM
:) Thank you Caesar, for your very kind, colourful descriptions of my work! ;)

:o Thank you June :)

Rachelle
01-22-2015, 12:34 AM
Here I go with another set of "four non-identical twins" :)
One of them is the runt of the pack, I might evolve the notion to "three twins" instead of four. :p

Again I worked a large "mothership" image, which I DO like for itself this time. I will show it after the four "offsprings".

Ongoing experimentation with the "organic versus synthetic" duality:
Straight lines and bold squares of pixels intermixed with curves and fluidity. Rythm.

In no particular order:

Offspring C

Rachelle
01-22-2015, 12:36 AM
Offspring D

Rachelle
01-22-2015, 12:37 AM
Offspring B

Rachelle
01-22-2015, 12:39 AM
Offspring A

Rachelle
01-22-2015, 12:42 AM
....and after the offsprings, their "mothership", or in this case,

mother-of-pearl

Caesar
01-22-2015, 01:53 AM
Reality and its discrete, pixeled virtual counterpart join together in a hybrid form of reality. I don't know how You get these images, but they're utmost evocative and intriguing for sure! The Being and the Becoming, the Undivided One and the Many Parts, synthesis and analysis are reconciled and ever changing in Your visual phylosophycal principle.

Victor Osaka
01-22-2015, 09:55 AM
I'd like to see a line of clothes with these.

Enug
01-22-2015, 02:28 PM
I like them all but Offspring C is my favourite - sort of stretchy fluid. It was fun locating from where they were cropped on the Mothership.

Rachelle
01-22-2015, 08:16 PM
:) :) :) Thank you Caesar, Victor, June :) :) :)

Caesar,
Here is the synthesis of my technique:
I paint with thick wide oil, with the brush, then spread with knife (not the flat knife, the angled one, sorry I don't know the english exact ArtRage names for the tools). I then use many different layers, sometimes of the exact same image, sometimes of 2 different images. Those layers are where I experiment with Blend modes. And I've tried them all, over the past 3 years, although I'll obviously never get around to exhaustively try every possible combination, which are, well, endless! :p;);) Also a lot of stretch and crop.

Victor,
I wouldn't know where to start to get these on clothing. Are you thinking T-shirts, or something else?

Will it get me "rich", and I'll be able to buy a stylus for my laptop??? :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: :confused::confused: :p
Joking aside, do you have advice for me? :o

I forgot to tell Caesar and Mr. Mouse that I digi-paint with my mouse (and sometimes the laptop's integrated little fingerpad). And my laptop is so full of WIPs that I can't paint any new ones, I have to rework my WIPs to avoid generating new files!

June,
Haha! funny that you prefer "offspring C", as that's the one I consider the runt among the four twins! Not that I don't like it, it's just that it rather looks like it was adopted.:D

Rachelle
01-22-2015, 08:24 PM
My "rescued old WIP" of the day:
still playing with duality between organic and synthetic...

Rachelle
01-22-2015, 08:34 PM
...and another one...
Trying to find a balanced musical tuning to express x,y,z dimensionality...

hildee
01-23-2015, 01:11 PM
Exciting stuff, Rachelle! :D

Rachelle
01-23-2015, 03:26 PM
:) :) :) Thank you hildee :) :) :)
Indeed very exciting -- this is my way of stepping out of time. Aiming at a moment of truth, even if fleeting.

Also very exciting to see June experimenting "à la Rachelle", yet with her very own twist!

Rachelle
01-23-2015, 10:20 PM
Excitement being my theme of today, thank you very much June:),

here is my resuscitated old WIP du jour. I injected quite a dose of rejuvenating pixels into its bloodstream.

And Bobbi, :)
from page 5 here,

Thank you again for that suggestion!
I'm still not sure I'm using the propper "Fill" tool according to your suggestion? And what is the gradiant fill tool?

About basic Fill tool, I'm thinking "bucket"? (lost in translation, french ArtRage). Anyhoo, I tried it, so with the "Bucket" set on Normal blend mode, I played with dropping some colors, mostly in the bottom third of the image. I didn't like some sections of color that gave a different "build" to the composition, so I altered them with the bucket. Pretty happy with the result, as this is what actually kept me going instead of sending this image back to WIP Land! Then I continued for hours, and hundreds of manipulations later...

"pixcited"
30" x 24"

Rachelle
01-23-2015, 10:27 PM
...a detail of "pixcited", from the bottom right corner:

Caesar
01-23-2015, 11:32 PM
Thank You for sharing Your tips and tricks, dear Rachelle. It looks fun and somehow therapeutic, in addition to artistic, as an activity. :);)

Rachelle
01-24-2015, 05:45 PM
:) You're welcome, Caesar :).

Sometimes having fun generates somber results, as this stern alienating cold shoulder... Well, not too somber:D.

12" x 26"

justjean
01-24-2015, 08:43 PM
You have some wonderful shapes, colours and texture in these beauties Rachelle :):):)

Caesar
01-27-2015, 09:01 PM
What a wonderful thomography You've got here!:eek::cool::o;)

Rachelle
01-28-2015, 05:23 PM
What a wonderful thomography You've got here!:eek::cool::o;)

:) Caesar :),
My daughter also said today that some of my work remind her of tomographic imaging! In particular that last painting up here.
Cool coincidence :cool:.

I replied to her that the mauve-pink 'alien' I 'see' in that painting reminds me of Barry Allen, a.k.a. 'The Flash' in DC Comics' new TV series. Probably the helmut'y shape of the head or something.

Rachelle
01-28-2015, 05:42 PM
You have some wonderful shapes, colours and texture in these beauties Rachelle :):):)

:) :) :) Thank you justjean for your kind words! :) :) :)

This time around I'm experimenting with what I call 'dirtier' more rough texture.

Still the duality between synthetic and organic.

Notion in mind: imperfect clone.
...Perhaps like the plastic Santa Claus in the movie 'The Santa Clause'...
An image of the cloned Santa here: http://dvdmedia.ign.com/dvd/image/THE_SANTA_CLAUSE_2-4.jpg

d1g1taL micr0-0rgan1zm
40" x 32"

Caesar
01-29-2015, 12:01 AM
:) Caesar :),
My daughter also said today that some of my work remind her of tomographic imaging! In particular that last painting up here.
Cool coincidence :cool:.

I replied to her that the mauve-pink 'alien' I 'see' in that painting reminds me of Barry Allen, a.k.a. 'The Flash' in DC Comics' new TV series. Probably the helmut'y shape of the head or something.

Right! It may be also the alien of the movie Predator, with its camouflage suit that made it invisible, but, when damaged or turning off the surrounding environment reflections to disappear, produced rainbow-like pieces all over. BTW there's now a Canadian patented blanket that works that way ...;)

D Akey
01-29-2015, 08:19 AM
I can also associate it with tomography too, looking at MRIs or something even though they're not in technicolor like your pictures. I was thinking that when I was puttering way back when in a biology class after I got out of the army in Junior College, I was looking into a microscope at one of my hairs. Your prismatic look sort of reminds me of taking a look at that glass slide, significant to me because it was at that point I thought, science is cool but to pursue this I need lots of study, probably more than I wanted to do. So I dropped Science and went straight away to the Art department. So for me, these kinds of image represents a dramatic game changer. ;):D:D:D:D:D Sort of like reading a Rorschach test woven from auras.

gxhpainter2
01-30-2015, 05:54 AM
great thread Rachelle! I love your experimenting and the work you have been doing. :):)

MichaelBlackbourn
02-09-2015, 06:45 PM
Interesting work! Love the vivid colors and the sense of motion.

Rachelle
02-17-2015, 08:32 AM
:D Thank you all for your cheerful visits and comments! :D

I just entered the current The Art Order - ArtRage Colour and Texture Challenge, here:

http://www.infectedbyart.com/contestpiece.asp?piece=3972

Rachelle
02-17-2015, 08:38 AM
recap from previous page:

:D
I just entered the current The Art Order - ArtRage Colour and Texture Challenge, here:

...with this piece,

red flower

And this is the original text I would have included as description, if not for the space limit on that entry form:

I paint digitally with ArtRage Studio Pro for the past 3 years.
red flower is part of my current explorations on the contrast between organic and synthetic.

I play (and have fun!) with pixels, without doing typical 'pixel art'. I sometimes refer to my current work as imitation pixel, or faux pixel: at first glance, what appears as one big pixel is actually a bunch of many smaller pixels, often of different shades.

From organic to synthetic, I explore the notion of cloning "reality", and further, cloning the clone -- faux pixels as clones of real pixels.
Pixels are currently one of the major elements of texture -- visual rhythm -- in my artwork.

This Challenge has been a very satisfying experience, where I ended up painting many works before selecting red flower.

For more of my colors and textures, welcome to my gallery at the ArtRage forum, where I will soon make room on the walls to show the other artpieces that were part of my preparation for this Challenge:

http://forums.artrage.com/showthread.php?48162-Rachelle-s-gallery

D Akey
02-17-2015, 05:54 PM
Good luck! Looks like you were having fun. Looks also like you were working filters of plug-in effects. All good.

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::):):):):):cool::coo l::cool::cool::cool:

Rachelle
02-17-2015, 06:34 PM
:) Greetings Mr. Akey :)

Thank you!

I don't know what are
filters of plug-in effects?
Now I'm curious :D

I don't know if this will answer your ponder, but I lastly used a layer of glitters for texture underneath my main painting. Is this what you were refering to, about plug-in effects? My pre-glitter-layer main painting first involved a series of transformations, as I most often do: many layers with different blend modes (one of my favorite modes is Difference), and then some stretching of the canvas too.

I have heard the term plug-in before, but I have no idea if this is anything we find in ArtRage?:confused: (version 3.5.12 in my case)

I don't have any other software to complement my ArtRage aside from PhotoFiltre7, which I merely use for resizing my jpg files. I've just in these past few weeks discovered a slice of the variety of arpacks here at the forum, lol, I'm still getting timidly acquainted with them; until now I've only used the regular tools with eye-balling my manual settings every time.:o

Merci for your visit, and your feedback, appreciated! :)

D Akey
02-17-2015, 07:05 PM
Well filters and plug-ins are little scripts or thingies that produce an effect, sometimes not unlike what you're getting. Many of them come in Photoshop and other programs. They manipulate pictures. Often times they have a geometric and iterative or even psychedelic quality to them. They stretch and spin and distort or repeat in a direction etc. Too many out there to count.

And example of some of the ones by KTP which has been designing them for PS for a long time, but there are tons of groups creating them. And they can give you long evenings of just plain fun with color and shapes:

https://www.google.com/search?q=photoshop+plug-ins&biw=800&bih=385&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=2NbiVMTpB-WIsQSIi4DQBA&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg#tbm=isch&q=photoshop+kpt+filters

I don't personally know whether there are any for ArtRage from outside sources. But since AR & PS are sort of integrated where you can pass them back and forth, it's conceivable to do PS stuff to art and bring it back and finish it up in AR. . . or visa versa many times.

Some of your blend modes are moving in that direction that some filters take advantage of. Heck, if you look up "actions" you can see what people have automated in putting together a sequence of commands to achieve anything from spin art effects to flaming letters.

And ArtRage has a script (don't know exactly) but you can record your commands/actions and replay them and my guess it that is pretty much does that.

A long time ago I got into playing around with this kind of thing in Photoshop but that was way before ArtRage for me and with all the operating system versions and PS versions one or the other made them no longer work and I thought it was foolish for me to buy in again only to have it not work after a short time. So I don't. But I still see them around and they still look like lots of fun and very cool.

So I was just curious if that's what you were doing because some of it could be accomplished with those manipulations as opposed to direct painting.

Rachelle
02-17-2015, 07:20 PM
This is another piece I did in preparation for The Art Order - ArtRage Colour and Texture Challenge.

On this piece, I did two versions:

One with a similar bottom layer of glitters, as for red flower above.

The other version is without the textured layer of glitters (shown in the next post).

big wave and moonglow
48" x 24"
(this version with glitter bottom layer)

Rachelle
02-17-2015, 07:23 PM
big wave and moonglow
48" x 24"
(this version without the glitter as texture tool)

Rachelle
02-17-2015, 07:42 PM
Ah! Thanks for that Mr. Akey, :D

I see what you mean, especially with the link you provided!

And I do see some effects on that page that ressemble very much what I do -- or rather, ressemble what I "get" as a final result of what I do.

Perhaps at some point in the future I'll get script-and-plug-in savvy to the point of automating some of my favorite processes. Although... for the while where I'm still not there yet, I can't picture myself passing on the actual fun of doing it myself.:cool: You know, the journey... I admit that my position may very well change once I'll have tasted that nectar though!:o;)

For now I'm still stuck at my recent first botched attempt with the script recording function. I'm gonna continue researching some tips and tutorials around here and on youtube. :)

Rachelle
02-17-2015, 07:51 PM
Oh! by the way,
Remember on page 8, d1g1taL micr0-0rgan1zm,

and some may even have noticed already,

well big wave and moonglow is a tardy sibbling from the same mothership. :D

Enug
02-17-2015, 08:26 PM
A lovely entry to the competition Rachelle - I hope you do well in the voting. I noticed another member, our friend Bobbi has also entered the comp.

These latest examples are wonderful and I can why Mr.Akey thought you might be using plugins.

Caesar
02-17-2015, 10:24 PM
I'm particularly delighted by the sandy texture of red flowers (and by the composition and palette as well). SUPER!

Rachelle
02-24-2015, 01:08 PM
:D Thank you June and Caesar :D

The Challenge is scheduled to have closed its entries today, and now the public voting will start tomorrow (February 24th to March 1st).

As stated on the Challenge page, the way the public voting works:

(...)I’m going to turn on the public voting on IFA, and let the public have a voice as well. So make sure you fire up your social network and get your friends, family and fans to come vote for their favorite pieces….hopefully yours!

Judging is a simple thing. Each of the judges and the total public vote will advance their top five picks in ranked order. Each finalist will receive a point value based upon their rank in each list – 5 points for 1st, 4 points for 2nd, etc. Once all the points have been doled out, I’ll tally up the final totals, resolve any ties, and choose the top five finalists, and the three cash winners.
(...)
quoted from here:
http://www.infectedbyart.com/contestdetails.asp?cid=22

In order to vote, there's a quick registration to go through, here:
http://www.infectedbyart.com/signup.asp

where it says we can vote twice (max) from one IP address. This will advance the most-voted to the top 5, from which the final 3 winners will be declared on March 6th.

Notice that the "Likes" (facebook button) at bottom of each submitted artwork is NOT the same thing as the actual voting for the Challenge. :)

Rachelle
02-24-2015, 01:35 PM
Here's another sibbling, from the same mothership as "big wave and moonglow" and "d1g1taL micr0-0rgan1zm",

this one is goosebumps
40" x 32"

---
Edit:
I switched for a larger image of the same painting, as the first one was too small for my taste compared to the rest of my hatched batch.

Caesar
02-24-2015, 10:15 PM
Fine new addition Your last one, very melt metallic like!

Thank You for the contest information! I had to put another work in extremis yesterday because the former one was discarded as already presented herein (although as a study) and changes I made were absolutely minimal, so ...
I'm not sure I'll raise a pro-me voting wave and let people and judges judge. In any case I would vote another one, since i think it would be fair.
Good luck!!

D Akey
02-24-2015, 10:21 PM
I'm sure the code is clear to those in the know, but I can't quite make out why you're using numerals instead of vowels.:p People who do that are often trying to keep restricted words in place by misspelling them so that forums or whatever that flag objectionable words can't make it out. But that doesn't seem what's happening here. Anyway, I wish you luck with your voting! ;) :):):):):)

Rachelle
02-26-2015, 05:42 PM
Ha! Mr. Akey :)

I see what you mean!
My use of numbers in "d1g1taL micr0-0rgan1zm" has more to do with a binary system, of zeros and ones... machines...
...versus nature...
machines emulating nature...
;)
...Thank you for your well wishes:o

Caesar :)
Grazie for your kind metallic words :D
Although I can't see how you managed to see that well, because I think I undersized the image there, lol, it looks lost on the page, while it is in my mind (and eventually on giclee canvas) a JUMBO painting.

And yes, I saw that you had to change your entry at the Challenge at the last minute... I wish you luck and success there too!

And yes, I'm definitely unashamedly rallying support for my painting red flower at the Color and Texture Challenge, I have plans for that prize money, I hope to acquire an Intuos Pro medium sized pen&tablet... to give my mouse a well-deserved break! :D :D :D

Rachelle
02-26-2015, 06:06 PM
tap tap (on the microphone)
tap tap tap
testing, testing one two
----

Greetings!

I'm seeking all the supporters for voting on my painting, to advance in the finals. For this first part of the contest, it's not so much the quality of the art, but rather how many public votes, that count to access the finals. After which, then the 5 finalists will be judged by professionals.

• Deadlines for voting - March 1st, 2015, 6PM GMT
• Announcement of winners and finalist - March 6th, 2015

Here is how you can help:

Click on my painting's contest page (link below),
Sign-up,
which will send you an access code to your email,
go fetch that code, copy it (to use back at the contest website for log-in)...

...there is also a link in that email,
it will redirect you back to the contest's website,
but unfortunately, not directly to my painting or even the contest itself (find it under Current Competition menu tab)

so hey! if your like my uncle and this type of navigating is too complicated, we get around that by coming back here, yes right here, to click again on my painting's link,
and then you can log-in and vote on my painting!

Each IP address is allowed to vote twice total, but from 2 different emails.

Feel free to share and copy-paste my how-to guide to voting, and rally more votes for me!

Thank you much!

Link to my painting contest page:

...and by the way, the facebook "like" button is NOT the voting button, we really must Sign Up to vote. :)

:) Merci beaucoup! :)

red flower, by Rachelle's gallery

Rachelle
02-26-2015, 06:15 PM
Ok, before bedtime, here is one of the other pieces I had developed, before selecting which one I would enter at that Challenge.
Still a pretty big jumbo size, I'll check for the exact size later.

G'night!

----
morning's edit:
original full size is 30" x 24"

Rachelle
02-27-2015, 04:44 AM
The painting above is a sibbling of this one:

size 24" x 30"

Rachelle
02-27-2015, 05:35 AM
Another one that was part of my preparation for the Challenge:

size 30" x 24"

Rachelle
02-27-2015, 05:54 AM
testing testing...

edit:

I need to rearrange the next paintings before posting :D

Rachelle
02-27-2015, 06:03 AM
Still some more of my prep for the Challenge...

original size 24" x 30"

Rachelle
02-27-2015, 06:04 AM
...and more:

original size 24" x 30"

Rachelle
02-27-2015, 06:05 AM
...and more...

original size 30" x 24"

Rachelle
02-27-2015, 06:05 AM
.........and more!

original size 24" x 30"

Rachelle
02-27-2015, 06:06 AM
............and more.....

original size 24" x 30"

D Akey
02-27-2015, 09:39 AM
It's as if you've liquified diamonds, facets with reflected and refracted prismatic light and all. :):):):):):cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::):):):):)

Rachelle
02-27-2015, 09:46 AM
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Much Merci Monsieur Akey!!

Caesar
02-27-2015, 08:49 PM
Dear Rachelle, I always enjoy a regenerating bath in Your hydromassaging and chromotherapic waters and liquids. This is an artistic thermal station where a modern Roman may relax and recover ... ;):D:cool:

justjean
02-27-2015, 08:59 PM
Great goings, Rachelle :)

Rachelle
03-02-2015, 04:00 PM
:)Mr. Akey,
Caesar,:)
:)Jean,

thank you all for your kind words and your visit!
:o

...Now I'm back at reworking old WIPs, as my computer is cramped up - I had flushed 95Gb of harddrive space (non-painting!) a few weeks back, and my disc is now full again from new paintings. Must spend some time identifying more dumpable stuff... Feels like unclogging a drain...;)

eighty+
03-02-2015, 04:46 PM
HI Rachelle just looked and i run out Screaming :eek::eek::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

now I know why that Swedish bloke painted The SCREAM CIAO IVAYA CON DIOS and Abstracts

Rachelle
03-02-2015, 06:52 PM
Dear Rachelle, I always enjoy a regenerating bath in Your hydromassaging and chromotherapic waters and liquids. This is an artistic thermal station where a modern Roman may relax and recover ... ;):D:cool:

While modern Romans relax at the chromotherapic station, we of the Wintersphere skate on frozen paint'ponds:

(frozen) wet paint,

"lil'skater on a paint'pond"
24" x 30"

D Akey
03-02-2015, 06:53 PM
:)...Now I'm back at reworking old WIPs, as my computer is cramped up - I had flushed 95Gb of harddrive space (non-painting!) a few weeks back, and my disc is now full again from new paintings. Must spend some time identifying more dumpable stuff... Feels like unclogging a drain...;)

I know the feeling, but not just from paintings in AR. It's across the board. So much data, especially if you're saving lots of versions or downloading this and that. I find myself doing file maintenance for a disproportionate amount of time. I suppose it's one of the hazards of a fast internet connection and faster processors. I tend to use all that stuff and voila! Overload.

My New Years resolution is to be mindful of over-creation. Very big issue these days for me.

Well good luck to you on this count. It's a biggie. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::p:p:p:p:p:confused::conf used::confused::confused::confused:

Rachelle
03-02-2015, 07:04 PM
HI Rachelle just looked and i run out Screaming :eek::eek::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

now I know why that Swedish bloke painted The SCREAM CIAO IVAYA CON DIOS and Abstracts

Sorry to have scared you away, Sir Ploos! :D :D :D

On another note, I wish to thank all the supporters who voted for my "red flower" painting at the ArtRage/ArtOrder Color and Texture Challenge. The public's voting ended today. I don't know who you are; know that I'm grateful. And I hear the voting process was a bit of a pain, so thanks for your patience on top of that! :) :o

When I get elected on March 6th, I promise I will raise salaries and abolish taxes. Coffee and cheesecake on the house!

--------
Edit:

Ha! I hear you Mr. Akey! yes indeed. :cool:

vandra
03-02-2015, 07:51 PM
What beautiful colors in this painting.

Caesar
03-02-2015, 09:24 PM
Fine new addition!
Watch not to fall into the pond through that Jupiter Great Red Spot! LOL;):o
Here winter is about to end and upcoming spring is exacting almost every day a deadly toll of tourists from inside and abroad on the snowy mountains, with snowslides and climbers falling down! Skating is the least dangerous activity here, insofar you don't do it on a frozen lake in this period.