PDA

View Full Version : Sheep in landscape - Addition 8/11

Enug
11-06-2014, 08:47 PM
A few more sheep.

Caesar
11-06-2014, 09:04 PM
Marvellous bucolic painting. Arcadia is back! Would it be defined a sheepyard? LOL;):o Just a very stupid pun ...:o;)

Alexandra
11-06-2014, 11:09 PM
Such a peaceful scene, Enug, beautiful.

copespeak
11-07-2014, 10:25 AM
You are developing a really nice style there June! Just lovely.

Rondo
11-07-2014, 10:45 AM
this is a well done piece,love it.....

eighty+
11-07-2014, 01:11 PM
Hi June iF There Fourteen Sheep Hanging on the Wall !! and one was to Accidently Fall ???

I'd Have the BBQ ready And a fresh Mint Sauce which I made this Morning just in case 1 did

accidently Fall ??? ok CIAO KIA ORA POZDRAWSKI ;:D):D:D:D:D:D:D:cool::cool::cool::cool:

Enug
11-07-2014, 01:23 PM
Thanks everyone - I appreciate your comments. Some tongue in cheek as usual from Caesar and Mr.Ploos.:rolleyes:

I used a sticker spray for the sky - a 'Fake watercolour Brush 1' - generously shared in a set named 'Tones Presets'. A very clever brush.

D Akey
11-07-2014, 01:34 PM
Nice and savory is what Mr Ploos is looking to say about this lip smacker, Ms Enug. I would herd closer that one who is separated from the group because Mr Ploos is opening his lunch bucket and pulling out the mint jelly. It's the stragglers what they go for in Brighton, innit? :rolleyes:;):p (meaning that sheep is too close to the edge and is pulling the eye out of your picture a bit.)

There's a lot of nice stuff in this one. Don't know what they fed you on in Singapore, but it changed your style some, dinnit? :):):)

I like the stipple daubed sponge look, mostly in the sky and grass. As to the trees and brush, I would perhaps suggest that there is something of a sameness to the size, if not intensity of the brush. I mean in the clouds it's different from all else which is good. But the size of the cumulus cloud articulated shapes is similar in scale (speaking 2 dimensional here) to the other bits.

In design and composition and paint application, one wants often to vary things. It generally is stronger having shapes bigger and smaller and darker and lighter, foreground, middle ground, background in some way other than it just being placed sensibly. I mean there is definite logic to what you've done here and I can see this being a real setting on a hilltop meadow or something. But you could do things, take artistic license and make it dynamic.

This is not a landscape portrait so nobody is going to know or care what the source location was. It's also a way to get away from looking too much like someone else's (or even your own) photograph. Artists are not slaves to what is there, except in portraits. And even then it's good to make it better.

So is this a cool image, sure. You're hitting on some really good things. I think you want to start considering variety within your pics. The colors are nice here. I love the theme. It says everything. Now think like an actor and figure out how to deliver your lines -- where to put your emphasis, what is the story about, what are you saying so that the audience really gets it in the most interesting way you can say it.

Good work! There's a whole lot of good stuff in here on a lot of levels technique-wise. But I'll hold off until you do some more pics and use it in context. That will tell you whether it looks right for the bit it shows up in.

Glad to have you back! I love your enthusiasm to take your stuff to the heights.

Enug
11-07-2014, 01:56 PM
Dear DA, thanks so much for all that. I understand what you are saying and I will take note. Not having any artistic training - even at school I don't remember the nuns teaching us art, so I've never known or considered the points you make.

I must admit I'm impatient to get a piece finished and I knew I should have spent more time on the trees and bushes but I was happy with the sheep, sky and foreground that I thought - well it's good enuf! You quite rightly point out that it isn't.

I'll try another and give it more thought and not rush it.

pai
11-07-2014, 02:27 PM
lovely one and well painted, Enug :)

Marilyn Anne
11-07-2014, 04:17 PM
Lovely sheep chomping on the grass. Beautiful scene!

D Akey
11-07-2014, 08:30 PM
Not having any artistic training - even at school I don't remember the nuns teaching us art, so I've never known or considered the points you make. . .

Hopefully pointing these things out will set you on a journey looking at other people's art differently, to see if they were doing it and how, and maybe in return they're all feeding you some more ideas.

As an art student, I was surprised to learn the most about composition from books on photography. Because they do a lot of outdoor photography or taking shots on the fly with whatever is around, they can discuss about how to look for things that will make their photos dynamic, or whatever it is they're about. And they don't get all snarled up in paint mixing and how to make a ball look round and all that. They straight off fly into discussion and analysis of staging and having pictures tell a "story" or, in short, have interest.

There's tons of people writing about photography online as well as in professionally published how-to books where they really get into composition. But with Photography it's almost the first basic thing they talk about, whereas in painting it's further down the road. Awareness in that area really strengthens an artist's ability to make good paintings -- landscapes especially. And like anything else, over time you hang on to some of it and forget most of it. But up till that point, you sort of have to be a sponge.

I still look at my books on technique and stuff I used to know to give myself a new shot of something to focus on. There's really nothing mysterious about composition. There are only a few things you really need to know as a base line because your interest will change as you hit different phases of your personal walkabout. . . or paintabout. . . or paintalamb or whatever you Aussies do in your wellies. And you then go for it. And when you hit it right, you just proceed happily, and if it looks wrong, you remember and can fix it sensibly. And I'm just talking relative to learning new stuff. You will have those moments when it all just transports you to another realm, and in those cases you rarely have to question anything and just hope the high lasts.

Oh, one last thing for now -- something that will put you in the driver's seat right away -- look at other people's pictures -- photos and paintings and what makes the composition work, and (this is the key) when it's a weak picture, figure what could make it better. You'd be surprised what that will teach you. Go JUNE!!!!!!

Enug
11-08-2014, 01:07 AM
pai and Marilyn Anne, thanks so much.:D

Dear DA thanks again for showing an interest and taking the time to explain where I could do better.

Enug
11-08-2014, 07:46 PM
Mr. Ploos and Caesar preparing the BBQ.

copespeak
11-08-2014, 09:24 PM
:) :) :) :)

Caesar
11-08-2014, 11:08 PM
Mr. Ploos and Caesar preparing the BBQ.

Pls, be our guests! Wonderfully skewer-roasted sheep meat pieces ana baked lamb ribs with potatoes! Slurp! :p

D Akey
11-09-2014, 03:22 AM
;););););):D:D:D:D:D:(:(:(:(:(:confused::confused: :confused::confused::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::roll eyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::o:o: o:o:o:cool::cool::cool::):):):D:D:rolleyes:;););); )

stevemawmv
11-10-2014, 08:35 AM
Hello June.....Love this latest painting, a pastoral theme should playing with it....Opps!.....just saw the BBQ!
Take care friend,
Steve

Enug
11-10-2014, 01:32 PM
:D:D:D Thanks Steve.