PDA

View Full Version : Identifying painting

Enug
10-17-2014, 04:38 PM
Anyone know the artist? I have looked in Google Image Search and Tineye but as they rely on images of a similar colour and the colours in the print have probably faded/changed over time, I'm not getting any results.

It's so similar to the Verboeckhoven paintings but I don't find it amongst his shown on Google. I've tried warming the colours but that doesn't help.

D Akey
10-17-2014, 05:41 PM
http://www.findlotsonline.com/auction-lot-details/166012/

Ye auction house sort of flubbed the name. Note he's calling it "Highland Cattle". They're sheep, ye tenderfoot. And not bein' able ta tell the difference will get ya kilt in the Wild West America. But maybe there's meant to be a deliberate misnomer and comparative irony in the name. When I looked up Highland Cattle though I came up with pictures of proper cattle.

So June, lass, could not help ye any more than that.

No I take that back, there are actually animals called "Highland Cattle" and they are not these with the ram's horns so far as I can tell. Do you think that the artist made a bad mistake to call them that and so that painting fell into obscurity and became rare and may be worth a fortune if you've got it -- sort of like a mistake in the a coin or postage stamp. It becomes very expensive to buy. . . Poor artist was probably hoping that he had burned all the prints and here you turn up with it like. . . a bad penny.

Go JUNE!!!! You just paid for first class tickets for your next anniversary from this find.

Enug
10-17-2014, 07:24 PM
That's amazing that you actually found it - even if the title seems strange - they don't say who the artist is - mustn't be signed.

Actually I picked this up because of the frame - it was being thrown out - then I fell in love with the picture and kept the whole thing intact and hung it on a wall. I've also got a large print of Tom Roberts - Shearing the Rams.

I've spent the afternoon scouring the internet for hints on how to paint sheep's wool - I do love sheep and would like to be able to paint them.

D Akey
10-18-2014, 01:19 AM
Based on what you said about it being faded, I pushed the contrast and saturation and searched with it. You were right. The search keys in on the values and colors.

Enug
10-18-2014, 02:25 AM
It looks much nicer brightened up a bit.:cool: