PDA

View Full Version : A lamb - after the Old Masters

Enug
10-16-2014, 02:07 AM
The reference was from a crop of a painting by Eugéne Verboeckhoven - he has lots of lovely sheep paintings - I might try some more.

D Akey
10-16-2014, 02:21 AM
The reference was from a crop of a painting by Eugéne Verboeckhoven - he has lots of lovely sheep paintings - I might try some more.

Nice copy.

Just an fyi -- just because it's old doesn't mean it's correct. So feel free to improve on the masters, as it were. Don't let the haze of venerable reputation cloud your own eye.

In the original, the sheep's eyes are a bit cock-eyed. We'd notice it in a human straight away, but in a single sheep in a big pic, it's a mere detail I doubt most would notice. But isolated front and center, it's noticeable. I bet one of his apprentices transferred the drawing.

Anyway, my point is that with the selection of source material when painting from reference, one needs to use as critical an eye with a projection of how the image to be copied will work for them in their own painting. You're the artist now. Use that other stuff, but take the opportunity to fix mistakes as well.

eighty+
10-16-2014, 04:02 AM
yep June the bugger's Right :D :D :D :D :D :D :D anybody got some mint sauce :p ;) ;)

Enug
10-16-2014, 01:04 PM
DA, I must admit I don't usually have trouble with eyes but these had me undoing so many times - that must be the reason why.

Mr. Ploos - how could you eat something that looks so innocent? I can say that from my lofty view as a reformed carnivore.

copespeak
10-16-2014, 02:39 PM
A very nice interpretation June.

Yes, the original does have a wonky eye!

stevemawmv
10-16-2014, 03:08 PM
Eugéne Verboeckhoven - he has lots of lovely sheep paintings - I might try some more.Holy Smokes June....The man loved his sheep alright!...... I like your painting...mostly like that you chose to paint just the one sheep instead of doing a complete copy , taking a bit here and there from the 'Old Masters' and makin' it your own.....It's fun and always good practice..
Nice one....Take care,
Steve

MJSparks
10-16-2014, 06:27 PM
Well, they are tasty...

This is fine work. Eyes are always troublesome.

Enug
10-16-2014, 07:30 PM
Hi Steve and Megan - another who loves his sheep is Johann Baptist Hofner - I have a print of 'Little Shepherdess' hanging on my wall. When my grandchildren were younger, the little ones thought this was a picture of their big sister.:D

waheednasir
10-16-2014, 08:02 PM
very well done !

Enug
10-17-2014, 01:07 AM
Thanks Waheednasir - I liked the ref even if it did have wonky eyes.:eek::D:D

D Akey
10-17-2014, 01:37 AM
A better choice! More complex, but a good one. A profile on the sheep minimizes the issue of a wandering eye, certainly. This artist reminds me a bit of Bougerreau, in theme and look. He also seemed to paint a lot of young shepherdesses and water carriers and other idyllic pastoral and mythic themes -- always very flattering -- the way we would want it to be were we ever present in those settings. So I can see your grandchildren picked up on that endearing quality that the artist so elegantly produced.

I was looking at how he did it, but that wool in particular is really well painted. It caught my eye because were I to paint this, that would be where the challenge would rest. . . for me, since I never actually see textures like that in my real life, and certainly never painted it. It will make for a good lesson that if you are going to paint many sheep, it would be a cracking good lesson you'll use a lot. Too bad the reproduction is so small where you can't see the strokes.

Enug
10-17-2014, 01:21 PM
I wasn't really thinking of doing this one - as you say it's too complex. The print I have measures 23"x17" and it's under glass. I took a photo but it doesn't help. I don't know if it's the texture of the canvas or lots of tiny strokes. I see a date 1866.

D Akey
10-17-2014, 01:52 PM
Thanks for that. I bet it looks great in your home in the frame and all. Context is everything.

Here's something I found just for fun. Shows some awesome detail for that wonderful style.

Oh, and this is done by Bougerreau.

eighty+
10-17-2014, 02:34 PM
Hi June. Don't worry just blame. Me coss I always have. Lopsided eyes and there again that sheep
Was looking to see where the dog has has got to. ;):D:D:D POZDRAWSKI

Enug
10-17-2014, 03:38 PM
Ok Mr.Ploos it's your fault - it's always good to have someone to blame.;)

DA - yes, I like his stuff too. I have another painting that looks similar to Verboeckhoven but I couldn't find it in a search of his stuff. I'll have to take a photo and do an image search.

I should know what sheep's fleece looks like - I had a couple of pet sheep, a Suffolk and a Merino and had lambs from them. It's painting it that is hard.

D Akey
10-17-2014, 05:22 PM
And therein lies the magic when looking at someone who does it well (and why I posted this detailed painting of a sheep). I know exactly what you mean. I looked at hair all my life and it took me some effort and looking at other people's paintings to learn how to paint all the variety of styles. It's looking with a whole different purpose, which makes us all near beginners when taking on something we've not had to figure out prior.

Also Bougerreau could paint hands. . . and how.

eighty+
10-18-2014, 01:29 AM
HI June Congrats have a good time in Singapore ok ( Picture ) Happy Memories when we were young ;) :) :) :)

D Akey
10-18-2014, 01:44 AM
I second that!

Enug
10-18-2014, 02:30 AM
Thanks fellers. So long ago and they said it wouldn't last!:D:D:D

eighty+
10-18-2014, 03:40 AM
June 60 years before the wife decided she wanted a Rest B.H

Enug
10-18-2014, 04:42 PM
You did well Mr.Ploos - I don't think many will make it this far in future - marriage is a dying institution.:(

D Akey
10-18-2014, 11:42 PM
You did well Mr.Ploos - I don't think many will make it this far in future - marriage is a dying institution.:(

No it isn't. In fact marriage is so strong anymore people are now getting married all the time, going back for second helpings. . . and thirds. . .

Joking aside, it's most impressive both of you. Everybody is always looking for the right person. It's the best thing ever when you get it right. . .