PDA

View Full Version : No palm rejection

Jokinb
09-18-2014, 08:05 PM
I have IPAD3 and wacom intuos creative stylus 2.
Artrage version 1.6.5. The lastest.
I can't get the palm rejection feature work sucesfully.
In setting the multitask gestures are dissabled.
I connect the WICS2 sucesfully.
I press the stylus's buttom and a window appears saying that the palm rejection is ON.
But there is not palm rejection. If a put my hand in the screen it is detected. It is imposible to draw with tha palm touching the screen.

What is missing? What I 'm doing wrong?

Jokinb

MattRage
09-19-2014, 10:31 AM
At this point touch rejection should prevent strokes being made when you are touching the screen with anything except a stylus, the system just rejects paint strokes that come in with a 0 pressure value. Multitouch gestures can't be disabled in ArtRage so a stroke that starts with a touch from your hand will prevent stroke processing. We will be looking in to expanding the system in the future to change how this works.

Kzoodan
10-12-2014, 04:26 PM
I am experiencing the same "problem". ArtRage doesn't seem to be very clear on the concept of palm rejection, such as it works in Bamboo Paper. I'm not even sure what the point of your idea of palm rejection is. It would also be nice to pair the buttons with actual useful tools, like undo, rather than just switching on or off the palm rejection that isn't really palm rejection.

Also, the app is crashing when resizing the canvas. Ipad 3, no other processes running, fresh reboot, THE latest version of the app.

Other than that, it's a great app.

Regards,

KzooDan

MattRage
10-12-2014, 08:22 PM
ArtRage currently implements touch rejection by preventing strokes being made by the finger, only the stylus can trigger a stroke when the system is on as I said in my previous post. As we had to implement this new SDK in our original application part way through work on a large update that is the extent of support currently. We will probably look in to disabling multitouch gestures when touch rejection is turned on as Wacom suggest but that was not feasible in the time available.

I'm not experiencing the crash you describe, could you mail [email protected] and let us know the details of the painting you're on and what process you're using and we can look in to it.

Kzoodan
10-13-2014, 11:15 AM
I did as you suggested, and emailed ArtRage. For further clarification, when I resize the canvas with Touch Rejection "OFF", the app crashes. It does NOT crash when Touch Rejection is "ON".

HannahRage
10-13-2014, 01:57 PM
Thanks Kzoodan. We got your email, and are looking into the problem. It seems to be related to the latest iOS update, which is why we didn't see it before.

elr
09-14-2015, 09:20 PM
Thanks Kzoodan. We got your email, and are looking into the problem. It seems to be related to the latest iOS update, which is why we didn't see it before.

Hello,

I have the same problem. I've installed the last iOS and palm rejection isn't working. Have you solved this issue?

Actually palm rejection did not work even with the previous version of iOS.

Thank you and best regards.

HannahRage
09-15-2015, 01:23 AM
We're about to roll out a very major update to the iPad app, which we're hoping will solve this (and any similar) issues. We're just tidying up the last few issues, and need to wait for iOS9 to come out this week so we can check everything works on that (and then fix whatever iOS9 breaks!).

Pixelfish
09-23-2015, 02:05 AM
We're about to roll out a very major update to the iPad app....

Oh goody. I'm bouncing off the walls with excitement and anticipation.

Judebox
10-06-2015, 09:51 PM
Hi !
I have the new Artrage 2.0 on iOs 8.4.1 and a Wacom Creative Stylus 2 and there is still no palm rejection...
Hasn't it been added ? Do I need to switch to iOs 9.0.2 to make it work ?
Thx !

MattRage
10-06-2015, 10:20 PM
The Palm Rejection toggle in ArtRage relies on how your device identifies the size of the touch on its screen. This will generally work if you're using a finger to paint with, but there's a problem when using a stylus.

Fine tip styluses like the Wacom Intuos Creative, or the Adonit Pixelpoint styluses create touches on the screen that are frequently detected by the iPad as being larger than a palm. The result is that palm rejection becomes significantly less reliable when you're using a fine tip stylus. Not only that, but the size of your finger can vary significantly based on factors such as how humid it is, so it's not a precise switch.

That said, I do appear to be able to rest my hand on the iPad while using the Wacom stylus here but we're looking in to stylus support currently so we'll check it out and see what we can see before we submit the 2.0.1 update, Wacom themselves provide a touch rejection option that may also be of use here (you can set it to toggle via one of the buttons on your pen).

HannahRage
10-06-2015, 11:20 PM
Have you turned it on and it's not working? Or have you just not found the setting?

Go to Menu > Preferences > Stylus Preferences to toggle Palm Rejection on (it doesn't need a stylus).

Judebox
10-07-2015, 02:47 AM
Have you turned it on and it's not working? Or have you just not found the setting?

Go to Menu > Preferences > Stylus Preferences to toggle Palm Rejection on (it doesn't need a stylus).
Yes it's on ! But when my palm touch the screen 1 ms just before the stylus when approaching my hand, it palm rejection doesn't work.
Also, since the 2.0 version there is a big offset ! It wasn't there with previous version.

MattRage
10-07-2015, 10:58 AM
See my explanation above regarding palm rejection - If you are touching lightly then you're likely creating a touch smaller than the 'palm' threshold so it's being seen as a touch.

Regarding offset: Fine tip styluses require that you tell them how you hold them. The fine tip hardware causes a big offset that their systems need to compensate for. Go to Preferences and look for 'Stylus Use' - Select the type of grip that you will be using (Right Handed or Right Handed Upwards are most common). This is unfortunately a limitation of the hardware, it's likely that your 1.6 was set differently which is why you're seeing more of an offset.

Judebox
10-07-2015, 08:54 PM
I perfectly understand the point for palm rejection !
But why is it working perfectly well in the wacom app, Bamboo Paper ? It's like drawing on paper, and my hand never draws plots, lines and never move or zoom the area.
Maybe palm rejection can be increased in Artrage (it would be perfect !) ? Why not to enable touch on the drawing area only if stylus pressure is detected ?
For the offset, I solved the problem by restarting the application. That's ok now !

MattRage
10-08-2015, 11:12 AM
If you turn on Touch Rejection when using the Wacom pen strokes will only be created if they have pressure - At the moment you can do this by assigning Touch Rejection to one of the Wacom pen buttons in the Preferences panel. We're looking in to some further changes we can make in an update as well.

Judebox
10-09-2015, 11:23 PM
With the "Touch Rejection" assigned to a button, it works weird...
Sometimes, it zooms when I draw (with my palm on the screen) and sometimes nothing is written whereas I press hardly the stylus (without my palm on the screen)...
And Offset may varies (tested with both Right Handed and Right Upward handed). Sometimes it's ok and sometimes there is a huge offset.
I'll wait for next update.

MattRage
10-12-2015, 10:56 AM
The offset generated by the stylus isn't something we can do anything about internally unfortunately, it's a hardware issue that Wacom apply some adjustments for in their system but we rely on that system to fix issues.

For touch rejection - We'll continue to look in to it but it sounds like there may be some lag causing the Wacom tablet system to provide touches that don't have pressure (and are therefore technically not stylus events) which could cause a multitouch event to trigger.

magaretz
10-22-2015, 05:38 PM
Hello,

I have the same problem. I've installed the last iOS and palm rejection isn't working. Have you solved this issue?

MattRage
10-23-2015, 09:03 PM
Palm rejection may or may not work depending on a large number of factors. If you've not got a stylus selected then how hot or humid your environment is can affect the detection of touch sizes, which iPad you're using may also have an effect. Get in touch with us at [email protected] and let us know what stylus you're using (if any) and what iPad you have and we can let you know if there's anything you can do.

pai
07-16-2017, 05:23 AM
Hi,

I cannot find the palm rejection on the perference on ipad Artrage latest version. Is this setting still available?

Thanks

HannahRage
07-17-2017, 10:48 AM
Palm rejection is supported for some styluses but not others - check the Stylus Preferences section in Preferences. If you don't see a Palm Rejection toggle, the selected stylus option probably doesn't support it (ArtRage needs to be able to track stylus vs touch input separately and some stylus SDKs are ... complicated in that regard).

pai
07-17-2017, 12:46 PM
Understood. Thanks Hannah. :)