PDA

View Full Version : Into the woods (my file corrupted)

Jules
09-18-2014, 01:26 AM
I have been on holiday in Cumbria, whilst there I did a digital painting, from memory painting my surroundings. The woodland with the light coming through the trees, the orange glow through the branches, the orange leaves on the ground, autumn on its way. I spent 5 days solid 4 hours a day, sketching on my ipad using artrage, incrementally saving my work, the piece was all about finished, I saved it and it crashed mid save, losing everything, obviously a corrupt file. So not happy, at all. All I was left with was a thumbnail. I can't even resurrect it using the PNG file. So, next time I will have to remind myself to not only save my work but do copies too.

All I was left with was mona lisa giving me a smug look :P

D Akey
09-18-2014, 02:06 AM
Ouch. Sorry to hear it, Jules. Must make you sick.

But it is quite a lovely thumbnail. Meanwhile perhaps you could practice saving toenails? Tasteless, I know.

Anyway, just trying to cheer you up a little. That really sucks. I've learned the hard way in any program, even word processing programs to save a working copy and also to save another version that I add to the name "xyz.bak.doc" on the heels of saving the working copy "xyz.doc" just to avoid that happening to me -- again and again and again. Seems electronics always run the risk of losing everything and steps must be taken to cover one's ass, especially in a business/deadline context or when one spends so much time on it -- as you had. So sorry.

But it's good to see you back again. :)

Jules
09-18-2014, 02:43 AM
Hi D Akey, as always you cheer me up, wish you had been there at the time, you know that oh no feeling and the shiver that runs down your back when you know when you will never see your piece of work again. I didn't even have a thumbnail to show, lots of faffing with the ipad to get even that back, I dunno how I did it. Its only art, but a lot of hours lost where I could have been out on my mountain bike getting lost.. again haha!! Thanks.

gxhpainter2
09-18-2014, 03:10 AM
oooh Jules , was a disappointment, that has happened to be a couple of times and the sudden shock of knowing what you just lost! but a lovely thumbnail and great to hear from you again.:)

AndreaMG
09-18-2014, 07:02 AM
So sorry to hear that but keep in mind that you surely enjoyed while doing it and it certainly improved also your skills, so not everything went lost, besides you might use it as your Avatar to stay forever there :cool:. For what it's worth I think you did a wonderful job. Cheers

copespeak
09-18-2014, 08:29 AM
How heartbreaking! It seems like such a beautiful work.

hildee
09-18-2014, 09:22 AM
It looks lovely. What a pity. Are you sure it's not on your ipad somewhere though. I have an android tablet and it's frustrating where things are saved. I've found stuff I'd forgotten about. Maybe check your file manager, if Apple has such a thing ;-)

D Akey
09-18-2014, 09:30 AM
Yeah, that's not a bad idea. You might want to check (crossing fingers here) under "File > Open Recent". It displays a list of stuff you were working on??? Also you can use that to perhaps see file names. I often save things that I forget exactly how I named it. And when I do a search I get no hits because one digit is off or something. Just a thought as hildee got me thinking on digging for it. I feel like such a file manager more so than an artist or musician or anything else. Crikee -- so many files doth a terabyte have. . .

Come on Jules. . . here's hoping you can find a version yet. . .

koalablue
09-18-2014, 12:02 PM
Beautiful painting Jules. So sorry to hear about your crash.

Caesar
09-18-2014, 07:25 PM
It's really a pity, dear Jules, looking at the amazing thumbnail You attached! But as You know, nothing lasts forever and corruption is all over the world and the ITC world as well. ;) The elves and spirits of that wood probably just didn't want You show their dwellings and maybe we could also spot them among the leaves and shadows from Your full size painting if it stayed, and this could not happen, so .... an hacker elf worked it out!:eek::D

Jules
09-18-2014, 08:38 PM
Hi gxhpainter, I know, has it, well its frustrating isn' it! Thanks a lot. :)

oooh Jules , was a disappointment, that has happened to be a couple of times and the sudden shock of knowing what you just lost! but a lovely thumbnail and great to hear from you again.:)

Jules
09-18-2014, 08:40 PM
Hi Andrea, yes I did enjoy it, I generally cannot work from memory that's why I was so disappointed, it's a skill. Good idea as use of an avatar. Thank you! :)

So sorry to hear that but keep in mind that you surely enjoyed while doing it and it certainly improved also your skills, so not everything went lost, besides you might use it as your Avatar to stay forever there :cool:. For what it's worth I think you did a wonderful job. Cheers

Jules
09-18-2014, 08:41 PM
Hi copespeak, I know, thank you. :)

How heartbreaking! It seems like such a beautiful work.

Jules
09-18-2014, 08:43 PM
Hi hildee, thanks, nope I looked everywhere, even under the bed lol. Yeh, well I only have an ipad 1, maybe I just need a new device, not much memory on one of them and I was using multiple layers. :)

It looks lovely. What a pity. Are you sure it's not on your ipad somewhere though. I have an android tablet and it's frustrating where things are saved. I've found stuff I'd forgotten about. Maybe check your file manager, if Apple has such a thing ;-)

Jules
09-18-2014, 08:46 PM
Hi D Akey, yep looked everywhere, even under the bed and the dog basket, nowhere like Caesar said, it the bluddy elves that took it lol..I will have a go at the file open recent, but can't remember that, I only use an ipad 1 and my memory is pants.. not my memory the ipads memory lol. thanks! :)

Yeah, that's not a bad idea. You might want to check (crossing fingers here) under "File > Open Recent". It displays a list of stuff you were working on??? Also you can use that to perhaps see file names. I often save things that I forget exactly how I named it. And when I do a search I get no hits because one digit is off or something. Just a thought as hildee got me thinking on digging for it. I feel like such a file manager more so than an artist or musician or anything else. Crikee -- so many files doth a terabyte have. . .

Come on Jules. . . here's hoping you can find a version yet. . .

Jules
09-18-2014, 08:47 PM
Thanks koalablue :)

Beautiful painting Jules. So sorry to hear about your crash.

Jules
09-18-2014, 08:49 PM
Hi again Caesar, thanks. The nature spirits got into my device for sure hahah... love it! Yeh I sure I saw one poking their nose out from under a leaf, as when I was getting my idea for the painting, I was sat at the bottom of a tree stump lol ;)

It's really a pity, dear Jules, looking at the amazing thumbnail You attached! But as You know, nothing lasts forever and corruption is all over the world and the ITC world as well. ;) The elves and spirits of that wood probably just didn't want You show their dwellings and maybe we could also spot them among the leaves and shadows from Your full size painting if it stayed, and this could not happen, so .... an hacker elf worked it out!:eek::D

hildee
09-18-2014, 11:47 PM
Hi hildee, thanks, nope I looked everywhere, even under the bed lol.

Well if it's not under the bed, I think hope is lost and I can't help you any further :D

Alexandra
09-21-2014, 06:01 AM
What a pity Jules, but it is fortunate you were able to save what you could, and it is beautiful.
Maybe you had discovered (and it does look indeed) a secret place of the little imps and their like and they did not want it exposed,
thereby leaping into and throughout your device playing a wicked joke.:mad:
(I see Cesare and I had the same thoughts! Sorry, Cesare!:o:o:o)