PDA

View Full Version : Tiger- Teejay

Teejay
09-10-2014, 02:15 AM
hello
i havent painted in artrage for such a long time and now have found i love it again
i am an unschooled painter who wants to learn by practise ... i was reading the 'to trace or not to trace 'thread
i had no idea that tracing had different meanings within artrage .i would really like your opinion on my sort of tracing .i drew the outlines of key things
eyes nose ears and a basic shape
then painted it as you would normaly...what sort of tracing would i call this in future ..i will try and attatch it along with my tiger
thankyou for taking the time to look and if i am lucky any advice is always appreciated .

wow i am a bit nervous about this ..oh well in for a penny in for a pound...

stevemawmv
09-10-2014, 02:49 AM
Hi Teejay...That is some Tiger you've got there, I' am blown away with the image you've created of it....
Fantastic work, would like to see more of it....looked for your gallery, and none found?
Looking forward to you posting your work a little more often!
Take care,
Steve

samiro
09-10-2014, 03:04 AM
brillant work..i like it so much:)

Bertrude
09-10-2014, 04:22 AM
Great painting Teejay. From what you've described, it doesn't sound like tracing at all unless you drew your initial marks over an image or using tracing layer. That is my definition of tracing anyway.

Either way, lovely picture. I hope you rediscovery of ArtRage will help you generate many more :)

Teejay
09-10-2014, 04:47 AM
wow that was so quick to get such response i thankyou so much
the tracing
i found an image i liked the shape of added a layer traced over the image (the tracing you see) then deleted the image and painted the tiger.
i wanted to paint it but without the worry of positioning everything from scratch.
i haven't painted many animals .i used a combination of wax and knives after a while i hid the tracing and just let rip...

Enug
09-10-2014, 12:34 PM
So glad TeeJay, to see you here at ArtRage. Knowing you from another universe :D I knew that AR would be a good fit for you. Your tiger is wonderful and I can't wait for the next one.

koalablue
09-10-2014, 03:42 PM
Nice to see you here Trish. Very interesting painting.

TomasBj
09-10-2014, 04:42 PM
Beautiful piece! I think painting on top of a drawing is a normal procedure. It's tracing if you draw directly on top of a photo or picture by other people.

Caesar
09-10-2014, 07:01 PM
Excellent! I just wonder who chopped its head ...:confused: Sandokan, maybe, but the literary reference I made is probably not very popular all over the world. Anyway welcome and congrats!

Teejay
09-11-2014, 02:53 AM
thankyou all for being so generous .i am half way through the next thing now i am trying to see and sketch but i needmore practice
much much much more practice
but thats where the fun lives..thankyou again T.
enug
you were so very right about artrage being the perfect paint pot. i thankyou my friend.

pat1940
09-11-2014, 09:51 AM
Teejay, what a beautiful painting, shows the movement of the tiger. this is wonderful, waiting for more

Teejay
09-11-2014, 10:43 AM
thankyou so much ..i am having a coffee then back to the practice ...oh perhaps not it is after midnight ...oops...

thankyou for your wonderful comments .

D Akey
09-11-2014, 02:35 PM
Have no idea what kind of tracing that's called. It's called "tracing" as far as I know. Used to call those things by the name of the tool one used sometimes calling it a Lucigraph, sometimes Projected, sometimes Tracing, sometimes Drawing, sometimes Sketch. What's in a name?

Generally it never used to have a name until it was in its final stages and it would be called that. So a BW illustration if it went straight into print for a magazine article or something. That style though is really dated. Was popular in the 1950s and 60s. It didn't last too much after that unless they hired some old illustrator and wanted that look.

The thing is, some illustrators took it really really far in that they turned it into an art form, where it wasn't about it looking like a photo, which it did as a starting point, but rather it was a matter of selectivity in some cases and they wouldn't just keep their line to a constant (though some did depending on where they were going with it). But the ones I'm referring to would use a multitude of mark making tools instead of merely a pencil. And what made their work stand out was what they decided to show, what they left out, and how they then turned the image into a gorgeous image that was anchored in realism, but took it way out there with artistic flair. How loose can you get and in playing lost and found with recognition of the image -- now it's a dancer, now it's a dash of color, now it's a drawing, now it's a painting etc etc. Some of that consciousness was rooted in the old school fashion illustrations taken into a whole new realm. . . or you can just use the lines as place holders so you know where to put the paint -- also legitimate.

So it's all in the approach that you develop over time as you experiment and play. The operative word is play. Go nuts. The projector is like the ultimate guard rail to keep you from flying off the edge of the road if you're out to keep the literal quality of the subject while you careen around the hills at high speed.

Teejay
09-11-2014, 11:40 PM
thank you thank you
i feel better about this in fact i even feel GOOD.. i am in the midst of an old boot
i traced one near to the position i needed it didnt work .BUT because of that tracing and trying to paint it i have learnt how to paint a boot i have flung the tracing away and am now careening of the walls and having such a good time . i see now yes there is a space for tracing it isnt a shameful thing its a joy ...i can use or discard . wow ..free..... i thank you .

pslane
09-15-2014, 12:57 AM
you can just use the lines as place holders so you know where to put the paint That explains it all. Hi teejay, great tiger!

Mike Martin
09-15-2014, 01:04 AM
Everyone's already made such great comments so I'll just say, Wow . . . nice work. :)

Teejay
09-15-2014, 01:10 AM
thanks pslane
and you too mike martin
i thought this one buried and out the door ...lol i thank you i had got a bit bogged in with the one i am painting you helped me come up for air and coffee
i am glad you liked it
and thanks for taking the time to look and comment ..