PDA

View Full Version : Gallery of Tomas

TomasBj
09-08-2014, 07:37 PM
Hi all,

I'm new here and new to ArtRage. I've been painting digitally for a little over a year. A little bit with PS and primarily with Painter. I recently tried ArtRage and really love the interface and the oils especially.Of course Painter and PS have a lot more functionality, but I want't to believe I can paint pretty much everything in ArtRage.

So I as a warm up I made two paintings with ArtRage for my kids and used these to familiarize myself with the tool. I will be painting a more challenging painting with it next and though I'd share the process here in addition to my Tumblr etc.

I would post links to my DA and tumblr etc. but as a new user I can't. You can find my stuff on DA with the same username.

Here are the two warm ups.

TomasBj
09-08-2014, 07:42 PM
This is the first step in my next painting. I chose one of thumbnails I made earlier with Painter.

This is the next step made with ArtRage. The point here was to improve pretty much everything. Especially the palette and the structure of the hive. This is of course very much a WIP and I'll be sharing the next steps. All comments and critique is welcome.

Bertrude
09-08-2014, 09:09 PM
Lovely work Tomas. I look forward to seeing how the Dreamscape develops.

TomasBj
09-08-2014, 09:18 PM
Lovely work Tomas. I look forward to seeing how the Dreamscape develops.

Thanks! I noticed there is a separate section for work in progress. Maybe I should post the process there?

kenmo
09-08-2014, 10:50 PM
Looking forward to more paintings and postings....:cool::cool::cool::cool:

AndreaMG
09-09-2014, 06:59 AM
Welcome. Wow, you're really good. Do you work for Disney or something? Do you use any references for your paintings? While the first one of course is reminescent of (modern) Disney's pricesses the secon kinda reminds me of the old laserdisc game Dragon's Lair, which was quite funny (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znO_m00s8II). Cheers

Stephen Lo Piano
09-09-2014, 08:36 AM
This image has a unique bit of humor built in.

Must be really hot in the rear end with that metal heating up there, like sitting in a frying pan that is heated up. Appears the dragon has beat the knight in armor?

stevemawmv
09-09-2014, 01:52 PM
Welcome Tomas....Very nicely done "Warm ups", fun as well....your children must love them.
Looking forward to seeing more of your work.....
Take care,
Steve

Caesar
09-09-2014, 06:35 PM
Masterful works indeed! Welcome!

koalablue
09-10-2014, 12:45 AM
Very good paintings.

TomasBj
09-10-2014, 03:40 AM
Thank you all for the very kind words!

@AndreaMG: I'm not sure if you're serious with the questions or just polite, but no I'm by no means a pro. My little girl just wanted a painting of Aurora. I did use references for Aurora but they where cartoon type pictures. I tried to create a painterly one. The references helped to draw the facial elements etc. right. For the dragon painting I referenced several dragon paintings, mainly by Lockwood. I also googled some armor pictures.

For the ideas of these paintings I must credit my kids :) Especially the specs for the princess where very detailed. However I refused to paint all the bling and glitter my 3 year old daughter wanted.

For the dreamscape painting I made a separate work in progress thread in the appropriate section. Check out the updates there. I made three more steps working on it yesterday and today.
http://forums.artrage.com/showthread.php?47771-Dreamscape-WIP-by-Tomas#post480867

D Akey
09-11-2014, 03:04 PM
Hahah. That knight should definitely not have his suits of armor out of pot belly stoves. Bad karma. Love it. I can see you've been looking at Disney and Hildebrandt. Both are great sources for lively imagery and potent color. Very nicely realized work.

TomasBj
09-11-2014, 05:37 PM
Hahah. That knight should definitely not have his suits of armor out of pot belly stoves. Bad karma. Love it. I can see you've been looking at Disney and Hildebrandt. Both are great sources for lively imagery and potent color. Very nicely realized work.

Disney yes, with the princess I used a warmer palette than Disney seems to be using. I haven't heard of Hildebrandt though. Have to look him up. Thanks!

D Akey
09-11-2014, 07:00 PM
Disney yes, with the princess I used a warmer palette than Disney seems to be using. I haven't heard of Hildebrandt though. Have to look him up. Thanks!

Not surprising. But Peter Jackson definitely knew of them when he was assembling all the paintings that were done of Middle Earth when he was strategizing his movies. 2 brothers, a couple of the very first illustrators of the Hobbit stuff when it got really big in the late 60s. So you may have seen the people who looked at their work.

Anyway, enjoy.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hildebrandt+hobbit&client=firefox-a&hs=vmK&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=nts&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=qkcRVLXtMM72yQS6r4EY&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAg&biw=933&bih=443

TomasBj
09-29-2014, 07:51 AM
I'been mainly working on my "dreamscape" painting, which I just posted on my WIP thread for it. If I still think I'm finished with it I'm going to post it here.

I had a few days of brake from dreamscape so in the meanwhile I painted this summer lake study. It's of a lake up north in Finland I visited this summer.
Started in Photoshop, painted over in ArtRage, tweaked in Photoshop. Few hours in total so it's not supposed to be very polished.

Caesar
09-29-2014, 09:31 PM
Very well composed and painted!

TomasBj
09-29-2014, 10:55 PM
Very well composed and painted!

Thanks a lot!

D Akey
09-30-2014, 03:56 AM
I really like this palette. Has a nice feeling of place.

TomasBj
09-30-2014, 07:38 AM
I really like this palette. Has a nice feeling of place.

Thank you!

TomasBj
10-01-2014, 03:08 PM
Finally finished this one, although I'm not entirely happy with it...
Done almost entirely in ArtRage. Only some tuning in Photoshop. I must say I really love ArtRage oils and the interface with support
for references etc. It certainly will be a part of my process in the future too.

D Akey
10-01-2014, 07:07 PM
Finally finished this one, although I'm not entirely happy with it...
Done almost entirely in ArtRage. Only some tuning in Photoshop. I must say I really love ArtRage oils and the interface with support
for references etc. It certainly will be a part of my process in the future too.

Love it. Very cool. Good imagination realized.

Caesar
10-01-2014, 09:44 PM
What a fertile fantasy and painting mastery! Cool!:cool:

TomasBj
10-01-2014, 10:54 PM
Thank you D Akey and Caesar! I appreciate your comments a lot! In the end I'm not fully satisfied with the painting. Something is bugging me. I think the hive structure could have been designed better and maybe the background mountain landscape would have benefited of references... or something. But it's time to move on to new pieces. :)