PDA

View Full Version : Arrows

gxhpainter2
09-06-2014, 10:34 AM
a simple concept shape, given texture and colors, playing with some neutral tones.. hope this gets the point across..:cool::rolleyes:

D Akey
09-06-2014, 11:05 AM
Bullseye on the pun. . . Yessir, had my toes cringing. . . The sign of a real hum-dinger, I reckon <spitooi! DING!>

The arrowhead's keen enough to split the apple high upon Jasper Johns' noggin'. Nice use of shape. Oddly enough (yet again) I was just studying up on the making of primitive bows and arrows. Fascinating process. I mean there were (probably) no Big 5 Sporting Goods around and they had to craft it much like you did with this painting -- from scratch. . . or rather from chips. Really a fascinating process.

As probably was the painting of this one. Love the shape. It's sort of Pop Art and not. Your offsetting the shape and all the contrast in the paint puts it into a different category (to my limited understanding of the genre.) And so to me it's like a cross between Pop while using a more interesting design sensibility.

Kewl! Between your tribute to the Native American Indian and Enug's Fun Fun Fun view down the Rabbit Hole, Peter Pinckney's got to be in Hog Heaven. :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

williamK
09-06-2014, 12:10 PM
I wouldn't have seen it but with the title it becomes clear. Like the effects that make the arrow(s) interesting.

stevemawmv
09-06-2014, 12:40 PM
Hello Gary...... Great colors, like you mixed your orange creme soda with the grape soda, probably wouldn't be to tasty but love those colors.... Really digging the underlining textures as well....but for me having arrows pointing me in the right directions all my life I still managed to get lost every once in awhile. Yours is easy to follow......Wait wait wait! Yours is pointing downwards, hope that doesn't mean anything? Hold on...had my laptop upside down......now its pointed upwards....Heavenly wishful thinking!
All this means is that I really like the painting....
Take care friend,
Steve

Enug
09-06-2014, 02:15 PM
I get lost with abstract paintings but you have simplified this one so even I can get it.;) The textures are amazing.

I used to partake in archery competitively when younger so this hits the spot with me.:rolleyes::cool:

gxhpainter2
09-07-2014, 03:04 AM
Bullseye on the pun. . . Yessir, had my toes cringing. . . The sign of a real hum-dinger, I reckon <spitooi! DING!>

The arrowhead's keen enough to split the apple high upon Jasper Johns' noggin'. Nice use of shape. Oddly enough (yet again) I was just studying up on the making of primitive bows and arrows. Fascinating process. I mean there were (probably) no Big 5 Sporting Goods around and they had to craft it much like you did with this painting -- from scratch. . . or rather from chips. Really a fascinating process.

As probably was the painting of this one. Love the shape. It's sort of Pop Art and not. Your offsetting the shape and all the contrast in the paint puts it into a different category (to my limited understanding of the genre.) And so to me it's like a cross between Pop while using a more interesting design sensibility.

Kewl! Between your tribute to the Native American Indian and Enug's Fun Fun Fun view down the Rabbit Hole, Peter Pinckney's got to be in Hog Heaven. :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool: Always a pleasure to curl your toes once in a while D Akey :rolleyes::rolleyes:... I liked the idea of using simple concept shapes, I was exploring WikiArt.org (http://www.wikiart.org) and the idea that simple squares, circle lines painted with a very brushy artistic manner might yield an interesting theme for me.

I wouldn't have seen it but with the title it becomes clear. Like the effects that make the arrow(s) interesting.thanks for popping in and commenting :)

Hello Gary...... Great colors, like you mixed your orange creme soda with the grape soda, probably wouldn't be to tasty but love those colors.... Really digging the underlining textures as well....but for me having arrows pointing me in the right directions all my life I still managed to get lost every once in awhile. Yours is easy to follow......Wait wait wait! Yours is pointing downwards, hope that doesn't mean anything? Hold on...had my laptop upside down......now its pointed upwards....Heavenly wishful thinking!
All this means is that I really like the painting....
Take care friend,
Steve Steve now you have gone and made me thirsty.. I will have to slip out to the store for a crème soda!:cool:.. I had the arrows going up , sideways and ended up having them going down ( back to earth you know ).. glad you liked this one. :cool::):)

I get lost with abstract paintings but you have simplified this one so even I can get it.;) The textures are amazing.

I used to partake in archery competitively when younger so this hits the spot with me.:rolleyes::cool: LOL..... you've got the spirit Enug :rolleyes::cool:.. its cool that you enjoyed this abstract, by using a simple and well known shape it takes out any confusion by the viewer about meaning and lets them enjoy the mark making and colors , which you did. so from that perspective this painting was very successful. :):):)

AndreaMG
09-07-2014, 05:37 AM
The concept may be simple but the realization and the impact sure is not :cool: When my time will come hope the arrow will be pointing up though :o Cheers

justjean
09-07-2014, 02:32 PM
Gary, wonderful texture in this

copespeak
09-07-2014, 06:57 PM
I just like it a lot Gary. It works very well, and the colours are .... yummy! :cool:

pat1940
09-08-2014, 02:29 AM
What wonderful texture Gary, another one of your brain going super sonic lol

gxhpainter2
09-08-2014, 03:46 AM
The concept may be simple but the realization and the impact sure is not :cool: When my time will come hope the arrow will be pointing up though :o Cheers AndreaMG I am sure your arrow will be pointing up :) thanks for your comments they are most welcome.

Gary, wonderful texture in this thank you justjean, always nice to hear from you.

I just like it a lot Gary. It works very well, and the colours are .... yummy! :cool: the colors are yummy and quite refreshing :cool::rolleyes:.. thanks Robyn..

What wonderful texture Gary, another one of your brain going super sonic lol thanks Pat... I think my Wacom pen melted on this one....:cool::cool::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:: ):):):):):)

D Akey
09-08-2014, 04:28 AM
Yeah, all this talk of direction of the arrows reminded me of a sort of rule in a painting. You generally don't want to lead the viewer's eye away from the picture, and an actual arrow pointing off the canvas sort of does that. The way to exploit it is to put your name on a plaque below where the arrow's pointing. The other thing is for some reason it didn't pull me away from the picture. Not sure why not. May be because of the tension between the uncharacteristic patina of the marks which are something of a world unto themselves and the larger shape of the arrow. And it's cropped off the point a little as well. Intriguing dynamic.

gxhpainter2
09-09-2014, 03:14 AM
Yeah, all this talk of direction of the arrows reminded me of a sort of rule in a painting. You generally don't want to lead the viewer's eye away from the picture, and an actual arrow pointing off the canvas sort of does that. The way to exploit it is to put your name on a plaque below where the arrow's pointing. The other thing is for some reason it didn't pull me away from the picture. Not sure why not. May be because of the tension between the uncharacteristic patina of the marks which are something of a world unto themselves and the larger shape of the arrow. And it's cropped off the point a little as well. Intriguing dynamic. Ah yes never force the viewer eye out of your image, that was one of the challenges here to bend that rule and see if I could with texture and color, and small details make the larger areas more of a color field and less of a graphic shape the lead the viewers eye out of the image. so it has a dynamic tension as you noted DAkey.... thanks for the second view...:cool::cool::):)

Caesar
09-09-2014, 06:25 PM
The color tones are delightful, varied and rich without the need to raise their chroma and contrast, while the underlying geometry of the arrows tells that here nature and human intelligence merge into beauty like a flowerbed in a garden ...

gxhpainter2
09-10-2014, 02:18 AM
The color tones are delightful, varied and rich without the need to raise their chroma and contrast, while the underlying geometry of the arrows tells that here nature and human intelligence merge into beauty like a flowerbed in a garden ...wow thanks Caesar, I have missed your comments and presence here, guess you were on vacation in Sardinia? I googled up some images of it and it's beaches look other worldly in their beauty and the rugged cliffs and crystalline waters, you live in a truly enchanted part of the world :):):cool::cool::cool:

Caesar
09-10-2014, 05:45 AM
Right, dear Gary, they're varied and wonderful around all the island which is quite a big one, the second by size after Sicily in the Mediterranean sea. Wildlife is marvellous too, especially for who dives. The best and most expensive kind of crawfish and coral types because live are there and another rarity is the so called foca monaca (lit. transl. nun seal) and a few other animals also on the ground and sky. The island smells wonderfully all over because of its bushes with myrthle and the essence of many other plants.