PDA

View Full Version : A new landscape

Taron
03-11-2007, 05:52 PM
Alright, today I'm gonna do some more landscape painting to loosen up a little and doodle around. Not like most other days would be different in terms of the motive (creative-chilling), but these days it's all about getting deeper into AR2.

Again I'll start by posting the first three steps...all approximately in 30min each...

First the foundation...a gradient as usual, but this time I've done a bunch of curious things, which I havn't done in AR, yet. Hmmm...should've made snapshots, but first let's have a look at it...

This is actually composed of 3 layers, which then had been collapsed again. One of them had been on "screen" as blending mode and gave everything a yellowish light. The shadows then were simply erased from that layer. Very cool method!

Then comes a bit of an interest to the image. Just a little vegetation and some simple huts of some kind...almost like iglos in the desert, hehe.

Last but not least for the first session: A Foreground. Just wanted to get a feel for the contrast, so it's nothing really serious yet...

jvolkel
03-11-2007, 06:00 PM
Taron - These are very nice. You seem to have a great imagination for wild landscapes.
One point - Your posts are extremely difficult to read as the image size almost doubles the screen width. If you shrink your images so that the longest side is 800 pixels or less, and attach them in the posting dialog, I think your stuff would be more readable. I really like checking out your work and hate to have to scroll back and forth.

hanzz
03-11-2007, 06:24 PM
you're really good.Keep it up!
great to see the progress too. 8)

Taron
03-11-2007, 07:15 PM
jvolkel,

you convinced me! It felt funny to post such huge images, too. I wasn't sure why I was bothered with the small versions...think it loses a bit of the feel behind the strokes, but since all of this stuff is a bit on the silly side as of now I think it's anyway over the top to leave'em big. Ironically I have always been the one, telling people not to post giantic images, haha...weired.

Good call! Thanx!

Taron
03-11-2007, 07:49 PM
Alright, now I'm almost not sure if I should share this nonsense, hehe, but I'm trying to figure out how it comes across to vary thickness of paint to create stronger foreground details and sharpness. It's not really easy to vary smoothly, at least for now, since I just don't know enough, yet. But here's a try...

D Akey
03-11-2007, 09:41 PM
Really cool! I love it. Makes my imagination really enter the pic.

AndyRage
03-11-2007, 10:13 PM
These are fantastic. It's great watching you work.
By all means - post as much as you like!

ENCHANTER
03-12-2007, 12:39 AM
another fantastic well done landscape......maybe i cna learn a few things from these :)

Taron
03-13-2007, 12:12 PM
Thanx all of you! I'm still thinking of something else in there and continued to doodle a bit...

here's the sketch...

Taron
03-13-2007, 12:13 PM
And here's the first approach to color it... it's a bit weak and vague, but well...AND it took a while, too. I'm a little hesitant today, because I'm not convinced of this and I actually would like to experiment and learn something new about shading, but I didn't practice what I wanted to try. Hmmm...this is pretty much typical me, painting around...

Taron
03-13-2007, 12:52 PM
Added another screen layer to pump up the light in the midground and also added back in the cute little fog band around the mountains.

AndyRage
03-13-2007, 12:54 PM
I'll just pick my jaw up off the floor so I can comment.
Dewd, that's completely stunning! The depth of the landscape is amazing. The wings of the creature are fantastic. The shading of the character is stunning.
I have one question - his (her?) hips are a bit odd to my eye.

Taron
03-13-2007, 01:30 PM
HAHAHA, thanx! :oops:

Yeah, the hips are truely bubbley, which i thought was fine because it's really a creature and not a human. But I can see how they can be viewed as problematic....hmmm... i'm not sure about the whole thing, though, but I can see what it feels like with a bit less bubbles...hehehe! :shock: :lol:

Thanx for pushing me a lil! I need that, too, especially on this one!

Taron
03-13-2007, 01:40 PM
How's that! :)

AndyRage
03-13-2007, 01:45 PM
Yeah - that's definitely easier on my eye. I just couldn't reconcile what sort of anatomical structure would require the creature's hip to be that bubbly! But what you have now works as musculature.

Just so you know... I'm just a computer programmer. I thought the painting was fantastic as it was. I'm in complete awe of your painting ability.

Taron
03-13-2007, 02:17 PM
That works beautifully together, because i'm in complete awe of your programming! I absolutely love what you've done in every way!

Thank you so much!

There's a whole lot more to come... :D

jvolkel
03-13-2007, 05:25 PM
Taron - This is coming along rather nicely. Thanke for sizing down a little, much easier to view and they still look great.

Andy - Perhaps you are unfamiliar with the Venusian Bubble Butt Flying Ant People?

Taron
03-13-2007, 08:17 PM
OMG, I've been trying to hide for centuries, I had no idea we were known?! No going back now....well, heck, I might as well inflate my bubble handles again! :D

Yeah, thanx for waking me up on the size issue! I feel a whole lot better now, too! I'm also getting sloppier, which is great! Resizing hides a lot of wild strokes, hehe! 8)

jacktar51
03-14-2007, 01:55 AM
Taron...Here is your little den then,...this is where you bin hiding your work.... whats up with the main gallery then????....very nice little plot though, interesting to see the build up..nice to see the outcome of it all, thanks for posting this Taron,its an eye opener...I do love these fairytale,mystical, magical things... I recon its where the Artist scores MEGA points over the camera.....Jack.

ENCHANTER
03-14-2007, 02:16 AM
oh i missed the progression bit............was not expecting the winged dude with the map ........escellent!!!! :D

Taron
03-14-2007, 02:59 AM
HAhaha, hiding, hehe...nah! I figure, because I'm learning to deal with AR, I'll hook everything that's more than just a quick doodle into the WIP section, so that it's easier for me to share the experience and it might be interesting for everyone!? It's definitely a whole lot of fun and the feedback is really inspiring already! (thanx Andy!)

I think I've already been calling this one 'done' so I should hook into my 'main gallery' if that's a way to call it. I should make a new thread that's more clearly a pure gallery then...hmmm...

Anyway, THANX A LOT! You're very encouraging and motivating to me! I really hope I can return the favor, but I must warn you, I don't hide any impression I'm having! So count on rather direct feedback! 8)

Fashmir
04-02-2007, 02:18 PM
Taron- This is my favorite of the landscapes evolved into settings for characters. I really like where you took this one. Not only did you give us a very interesting figure with those amazing wings, but you also seeded it with a story, with that map in his hands and him on foot. This could be developed into a book or at least a very compelling short story. Well done.

Taron
04-02-2007, 06:23 PM
Thanx Fashmir,

that's awesome feedback, haha! Almost every image I make has a story growing with it or into it, while here and there it's merely a snippit that explains the moment and at othertime the story keeps evolving after the picture is done.

Maybe we just start writing one together?

Here's a starter for the outline: Those man-like creatures get born with wings to fly into savety or migrate back from the birthplace for what ever reason. As they grow bigger their wings become useless and eventually might fall off, hehe.... anyway... take it away if you like! :)

But it would be fun to write a story! Why not! Maybe continue with more images to tell on!?

Taron
04-02-2007, 08:38 PM
Alright, I think I got a story....

Mitey the Raincatcher

Amongst the billions of stars in our galaxy there is one that brings light and warmths to a giantic planet. This planet was so big that water could only cover a tiny percentage of it. Life there was teeming and rich, but it was simply not enough space for the most dominant species, which evolved to become the Mite.

When the summersun hits the oceans of northern paradise it evaporates the water and sends vast, but thin clouds over the endless deserts to the other side of the planet, where it becomes ice until the seasons switch again.

As life became threatend to suffocate itself, the Mite decided to move into the desert. And over many thousands of years they moved deeper and deeper into it and figured out how to bring water with them. All they needed to do is find a way to catch the water on its big journey to the other side. So they began to build mountains to stop the clouds. Taller and taller they became. And the northern paradise began to grow. While on the other side, the southern world began to dry up. No water would ever reach them again. It was so far away, nobody from the north would have known there was life just like them and that they would begin to die because of the Mite's great idea.

However, even with those mountains and all the rain, living there was challenging and dangerous. So if a couple wanted to make children, they went up north back to paradise. The journey home with a new child would be too harsh for it to survive on the ground, so nature gave them a fantastic solution. The babies would have wings, so that they could ride the wind back into the desert, where they would get caught in the mountains just like the rain. There they would be welcomed by the villagers, while the parents went on their long journey home on the ground.

It had been like this for thousands of years. But one day, a child got sent on it's first flight when a freak wind blew over the planet. It would miss the mountains and drift over the entire planet to land in the dying world of the south together with the rain!

The picture shows Mitey, when he finally makes it back home after his massive adventures. He holds the map drawn by a seeing being and wears no clothes like the southern tribe that made him survive.

jacktar51
04-02-2007, 10:12 PM
Taron....What a cool story...maybe you should write a book and illustrate it yourself" The Raincatcher " does have a mystical sound to the name.....
very interesting, keep going.....Jack.

Fashmir
04-03-2007, 03:42 AM
I'm grinning from ear to ear Taron. This is the kind of thing I am talking about. That is a good beginning.

maror
04-03-2007, 04:03 AM
:shock:
i not read page 2, just wanna comment your wonderful char drawing skills!
superb!

greez

D Akey
04-03-2007, 06:02 AM
You create the world like you paint. Broad to narrow. Cool. There's a definite sensibility to your world. And it certainly looks intriguing.

Sounds like a great sandbox for some characters to play in.

:D :D :D