PDA

View Full Version : Clouds

cripster
08-20-2014, 12:51 AM
Hi is there are good tips on doing clouds i'm trying to do the which are in a sunrise or sunet with white on top and fire color below the white

Gms9810
08-21-2014, 02:00 PM
Do you mean something like this:
82592 82593
Obviously that's a very simple example.

cripster
08-22-2014, 12:30 PM
Do you mean something like this:
82592 82593
Obviously that's a very simple example.

yes thats the sort of thing i'm looking for, like what tools and setting i've tried the knife airbrush and glitter

Bertrude
08-22-2014, 10:43 PM
The hard wet blender preset in the Knife tools is great for getting those soft edges (and also to add a watercolour blend effect to colours).

A rather quick and crude example here, but hopefully you get the idea :)

Gms9810
08-23-2014, 06:09 AM
There are several ways to do it, at least for me. I made a brush to do it, I find myself using it for more than clouds. The settings are:
Another way is to use sponge brushes then blur the result. Another way is to just squirt some paint from a tube and use a mixing knife. For the Cirrus cloud [the narrow orange ones] I just paint a few horizontal strips and use a smear brush, set at a high amount of smear and move the paint around then blur them slightly. Another way I've been fooling with is to use a regular round brush to make the cloud then take a knife and drag some 'spikes' or wisps as Bob Ross called them then I blur them. The results are promising.

cripster
08-23-2014, 10:21 AM
There are several ways to do it, at least for me. I made a brush to do it, I find myself using it for more than clouds. The settings are:
Another way is to use sponge brushes then blur the result. Another way is to just squirt some paint from a tube and use a mixing knife. For the Cirrus cloud [the narrow orange ones] I just paint a few horizontal strips and use a smear brush, set at a high amount of smear and move the paint around then blur them slightly. Another way I've been fooling with is to use a regular round brush to make the cloud then take a knife and drag some 'spikes' or wisps as Bob Ross called them then I blur them. The results are promising.

Thanks i'll have a play around, do you use any settings on the knife?

Gms9810
08-23-2014, 05:42 PM
There are two main knife settings I use. One is just 50% pressure. The other one I use more. I named it the comb knife:
I use it a lot. I simply put it on the canvas and move paint, every time I need more paint I just lift it and put it down again. As long as you have it on he canvas you can keep moving pain around. The result is like this:
82623 Of course if you fool with the size etc you get different results.It's really good for drawing old wood, tree bark, or distant mountains.
This drawing isn't so good but it was made almost completely with the cloud brush and the comb knife. Try to overlook the crappiness and notice the mountain and trees/

Enug
08-23-2014, 06:11 PM
Here's a YouTube tutorial using the paint tube and blender. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjMZHXZuLjc

I'm sure you would have fun seeing the variations that evolve. I'm not a painter but I got this result with a quick play.

He doesn't give settings - these are the blender settings I used.

Click on the image for a larger view.

http://s27.postimg.org/ees7hwpsv/screenshot_260.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/ees7hwpsv/)

Gms9810
08-24-2014, 06:12 AM
Yeah, any good software gives several means to do any given task. There are 42,000 ways to do them in AR , give or take a few thousand. There are cloud brushes made by someone here hat work pretty well too.

cripster
08-24-2014, 05:53 PM
Yeah, any good software gives several means to do any given task. There are 42,000 ways to do them in AR , give or take a few thousand. There are cloud brushes made by someone here hat work pretty well too.

thanks i'll look at youtube abit later