PDA

View Full Version : 4.5 - The Pencil

Riggz
08-16-2014, 01:11 PM
Although I'm happy to have a pencil that responds to my Intuos tablet I must say... I miss the original pencil.

Is there a custom setting I can dial in to give me the hard-edged, "textured" pencil from 4.0? I have certain uses that I don't want the tilt (which I can't seem to completely get rid of via stylus properties) and the soft, hazy edge is the biggest difference.

Oh, and shouldn't "softness" actually dial up instead of down to increase the soft edge?

Anyway, I just can't get my hard edged pencil back.

Someonesane
08-16-2014, 02:32 PM
Is there a custom setting I can dial in to give me the hard-edged, "textured" pencil from 4.0? I have certain uses that I don't want the tilt (which I can't seem to completely get rid of via stylus properties) and the soft, hazy edge is the biggest difference.

You can turn the tilt off using the Stylus Properties panel. Not sure if that's what you're after, exactly, but here's how to do it:

MattRage
08-16-2014, 03:07 PM
Softer pencils break down more on the paper and create a darker stroke, so the harder a pencil is the lighter the stroke actually becomes as less of the medium is being applied to the canvas. It's definitely not intuitive from a digital point of view but it's representative of how the paint simulation is treating the medium based on a real pencil.

Riggz
08-17-2014, 04:37 AM
Yup, it's fine. Since I make my living as a commercial artist (pre-digital and digital) it's very much appreciated the attention to real world properties you give AR.

I was just hoping there was a way to dial back the previous properties of the pencil - or import it from 4.0 as a custom setting?

MattRage
08-17-2014, 10:36 AM
At the moment live pencil tilt can only be turned off by removing the Tilt property from the stylus settings. Texturing in the pencil stroke can be removed by switching to Precise mode but there's no way to remove tilt via settings sliders.

Catmandolin
09-04-2014, 06:16 AM
I would like to see a hardness panel for pencil that would have standard labels--HB B 2B 3B for instance. that would be really helpful.