PDA

View Full Version : Briony Raincrowe

Leasaurus
08-14-2014, 03:49 PM
This is another character in the book I'm writing. I know there is a lot wrong with it, so any advice is welcome! Hope you like. :)

screenpainter
08-14-2014, 06:53 PM
I like the leaves you made. I am guessing you used the sticker brush for that.
eventually you may find it easy to do the drawing of the figure on another layer. I am very impressed with how you can work without a reference. I find that is awfully hard to do. But some people just can draw and draw and eventually come up with some really unique and cool styles.

shekofte
08-14-2014, 10:43 PM
i emphasis the response of Mr screenpainter and i like those heavenly leaves

D Akey
08-15-2014, 01:26 AM
I think it's a nice stylization. The character's proportions are exaggerated but it works. It reminds me a little of the stylization I would see in certain animations. Having a large head is good for showing facial expressions which means there's a good opportunity for the character to show acting. If you're doing a whole book or cartoon, you might want to determine what the sensibility of the character is that gives it its distinguishing look and carry it through to give the whole book its artistic vision. Consistency is useful and it shows that it's been thought through.

Lots of potential. I like it. :):):):):)

Oh, just noticed, you may want to do something about the flesh area of the chest. The way you have it shadowed, it almost looks like we're looking at her back -- the shoulder blades.

jmac
08-15-2014, 02:04 AM
I think we are looking at her back. I think she is looking over her left shoulder. I would recommend strengthening the anatomy of that pose. You have done a nice job with the dress and that is what is defining the pose. The head turn doesn't read quite the way it should and is a little confusing. If you look at some references showing that kind of pose you can add just a little definition in the neck area to make it look more like she is turning her head.

Leasaurus
08-15-2014, 02:41 AM
I think we are looking at her back. I think she is looking over her left shoulder. I would recommend strengthening the anatomy of that pose. You have done a nice job with the dress and that is what is defining the pose. The head turn doesn't read quite the way it should and is a little confusing. If you look at some references showing that kind of pose you can add just a little definition in the neck area to make it look more like she is turning her head.

Thank you for the advice! I definitely had some issues with the head angle/neck turn.

I think it's a nice stylization. The character's proportions are exaggerated but it works. It reminds me a little of the stylization I would see in certain animations. Having a large head is good for showing facial expressions which means there's a good opportunity for the character to show acting. If you're doing a whole book or cartoon, you might want to determine what the sensibility of the character is that gives it its distinguishing look and carry it through to give the whole book its artistic vision. Consistency is useful and it shows that it's been thought through.

Lots of potential. I like it. :):):):):)

Oh, just noticed, you may want to do something about the flesh area of the chest. The way you have it shadowed, it almost looks like we're looking at her back -- the shoulder blades.

Which we are! I had difficulties with the head turning back over her shoulder and her neck. Still got a lot to work on. :) Thank you for the feedback!

i emphasis the response of Mr screenpainter and i like those heavenly leaves

Thank you very much! :)

I like the leaves you made. I am guessing you used the sticker brush for that.
eventually you may find it easy to do the drawing of the figure on another layer. I am very impressed with how you can work without a reference. I find that is awfully hard to do. But some people just can draw and draw and eventually come up with some really unique and cool styles.

I don't use specific references, no. For this I glanced at a few different poses/dresses just to get a bit more of an idea, but then went with it. Which doesn't always work out very well! For the leaves I used the tiny daubs setting on the oil brush. Glad you like it! :)

pat1940
08-16-2014, 01:19 AM
Very good start, the dress looks very velvety, you have a lot of potential and are willing to take advise, which is a great beginning

D Akey
08-16-2014, 01:25 AM
Which we are! I had difficulties with the head turning back over her shoulder and her neck. Still got a lot to work on. :) Thank you for the feedback!

Ah, it is her back. I see. One way is to pull a line off her left shoulder indicating an overlap as she turns. Right now without it she looks as if she's facing forward and we're looking at the front of her dress with a plunging neckline kind of affair. Yeah, extend the line at the top of the shoulder in front of the neck. A little indication should be sufficient but you will have to look at it to know for sure just how much is needed. The top of the shoulder would create a natural edge or line.

Leasaurus
08-16-2014, 02:29 AM
Ah, it is her back. I see. One way is to pull a line off her left shoulder indicating an overlap as she turns. Right now without it she looks as if she's facing forward and we're looking at the front of her dress with a plunging neckline kind of affair. Yeah, extend the line at the top of the shoulder in front of the neck. A little indication should be sufficient but you will have to look at it to know for sure just how much is needed. The top of the shoulder would create a natural edge or line.

Awesome! Thank you! :D

D Akey
08-16-2014, 05:29 AM
I puttered a little with her trying to work out the pose to see if I told you the right thing and get that over the shoulder look. And if you wouldn't mind, I can post it here so you know what I'm talking about? Same pic, just with a couple adjustments? If you don't want, I understand that too.

Gms9810
08-16-2014, 10:03 AM
[QUOTE=screenpainter;479227..... you may find it easy to do the drawing of the figure on another layer. ...[/QUOTE] I think the use of layers are vastly underestimated. I use them more and more.

Leasaurus
08-16-2014, 12:01 PM
I puttered a little with her trying to work out the pose to see if I told you the right thing and get that over the shoulder look. And if you wouldn't mind, I can post it here so you know what I'm talking about? Same pic, just with a couple adjustments? If you don't want, I understand that too.

Sure, I wouldn't mind that! :)

Leasaurus
08-16-2014, 12:04 PM
I think the use of layers are vastly underestimated. I use them more and more.

Absolutely! I've been playing around with them and trying to figure them out more.

Leasaurus
08-16-2014, 12:05 PM
Very good start, the dress looks very velvety, you have a lot of potential and are willing to take advise, which is a great beginning

Thank you! :) I'll always take advice! I definitely want to improve.

D Akey
08-16-2014, 01:35 PM
I didn't do a lot, but I wanted to get it to look more like she was looking back over her shoulder. One of the things I wanted to do was maintain the integrity of your style. So I'm not certain whether part of the stylization you came up with is getting messed up too much. But this is merely for you to see what I was suggesting.

The neck is changed. I pulled the hair around a little to make is appear a little narrower and you can see it's angled a little differently than you had it. The shoulder overlaps it a little as I mentioned. And I redid the arm because I thought it not a bad idea to not have her turning be only in the neck. By pulling her shoulder and arm back, it's more of a body movement. You have her spine identified from the lacing on the back of the bodice. The spine is the key element in anatomy because everything is hooked up to it, and as you know the neck is part of the spine. So when the spine goes a certain way, then everything else has to move accordingly.

So this is merely one idea of how she might be walking away and looking back over her shoulder. You may even want to draw in the hand because sooner or later you will in the story want to show her doing things. But since this comment was about the neck and shoulder, I did it without taking it beyond that.

You'll also want to have to determine the stylization for the hands as well. So I really couldn't draw them in not knowing what you were going to do with them.

Anyway, hope this helps. You certainly have a lovely knack with the brush. This project is going to be absolutely beautiful.

Leasaurus
08-16-2014, 01:47 PM
I didn't do a lot, but I wanted to get it to look more like she was looking back over her shoulder. One of the things I wanted to do was maintain the integrity of your style. So I'm not certain whether part of the stylization you came up with is getting messed up too much. But this is merely for you to see what I was suggesting.

The neck is changed. I pulled the hair around a little to make is appear a little narrower and you can see it's angled a little differently than you had it. The shoulder overlaps it a little as I mentioned. And I redid the arm because I thought it not a bad idea to not have her turning be only in the neck. By pulling her shoulder and arm back, it's more of a body movement. You have her spine identified from the lacing on the back of the bodice. The spine is the key element in anatomy because everything is hooked up to it, and as you know the neck is part of the spine. So when the spine goes a certain way, then everything else has to move accordingly.

So this is merely one idea of how she might be walking away and looking back over her shoulder. You may even want to draw in the hand because sooner or later you will in the story want to show her doing things. But since this comment was about the neck and shoulder, I did it without taking it beyond that.

You'll also want to have to determine the stylization for the hands as well. So I really couldn't draw them in not knowing what you were going to do with them.

Anyway, hope this helps. You certainly have a lovely knack with the brush. This project is going to be absolutely beautiful.

Ooo! This is awesome! Thank you so much! This definitely helps. I'll absolutely implement this and update it soon. Very helpful! I still have a lot of difficulty with certain anatomy, especially hands, so its something I'm practicing. Thank you a lot for the help and suggestions, I really appreciate it!

Stephen Lo Piano
08-21-2014, 08:27 AM
Good composition and theme, one suggestion, I would try the paint bucket gradients feature and create some sort of colorful background instead of the flat white canvas background, perhaps a color in the same same area of the color wheel as the main part of your foreground objects.
Try adding another layer underneath the female and leaf spread layers.

Leasaurus
08-22-2014, 02:26 PM
Good composition and theme, one suggestion, I would try the paint bucket gradients feature and create some sort of colorful background instead of the flat white canvas background, perhaps a color in the same same area of the color wheel as the main part of your foreground objects.
Try adding another layer underneath the female and leaf spread layers.

Thanks for the advice! I will definitely try that!

stevemawmv
08-22-2014, 03:52 PM
This is another character in the book I'm writing. I know there is a lot wrong with it, so any advice is welcome! Hope you like it
You've received lots of encouragement and good advise on this character....I'm hoping to see this completed and the above statement of your first thoughts and impressions of it to become 'I made a some changes and tweaked it a bit and now it's just the way a want it'....
Take care,
Steve