PDA

View Full Version : Autumn Glory Triptych - Finished!

StratoArt
08-09-2014, 05:45 AM
Finally! I finished all three paintings of the triptych, "Autumn Glory." I'm just waiting to here back from those that commissioned me to paint it, for their approval and once approved, I'll be ordering all three to be delivered to me. After they arrive I'll be doing an impasto embellishment on top of the giclee prints.

I'm very satisfied with the result. I think this took about a month to complete, in my off-hours after work. (Note: The final signature isn't that big, that's just for the low-res version. I put my initials on two pieces in the corners and then on the right painting, I signed it with my full name.)

Thanks for viewing!

Bertrude
08-09-2014, 06:31 AM
Awesome autumn!

stevemawmv
08-09-2014, 06:59 AM
Nicely done Dale....I've been watching your progress and 'Autumn Glory ' is indeed an awesome set of paintings....
Take care,
Steve

StratoArt
08-09-2014, 07:20 AM
Nicely done Dale....I've been watching your progress and 'Autumn Glory ' is indeed an awesome set of paintings....
Take care,
Steve

Thank so much!! I just got the approval and just ordered them, they will be 40" tall by 22" wide on canvas gallery wrap w/ black sides. Kind of nervous and excited :)

They are going in a break room at my work place.

pat1940
08-09-2014, 10:52 AM
Dale, what beauty, these are going to look fantastic hanging, please take a pic of them when hanging, would love to see them

Marilyn Anne
08-09-2014, 11:40 AM
BeautifuL autumn scenes!

StratoArt
08-09-2014, 11:57 AM
Dale, what beauty, these are going to look fantastic hanging, please take a pic of them when hanging, would love to see them

Thank you! I sure will! I'll post some pics of me adding the impasto embellishing and when they are finally up on the wall.

StratoArt
08-09-2014, 11:57 AM
BeautifuL autumn scenes!

Thank you so much!

Enug
08-09-2014, 05:31 PM
Just beautiful - I have enjoyed watching the progress on this set of paintings.

StratoArt
08-10-2014, 05:36 AM
Just beautiful - I have enjoyed watching the progress on this set of paintings.

Thank you!!

jmac
08-10-2014, 07:52 AM
You should be very proud of this work. That is going to make a stunning wall at your work place.

StratoArt
08-10-2014, 07:54 AM
You should be very proud of this work. That is going to make a stunning wall at your work place.

Thank you! I am very pleased with it and can't wait to see it in printed!

hildee
08-10-2014, 12:14 PM
Gorgeous result! They'll look great hung.

D Akey
08-13-2014, 03:48 AM
You did that for a workspace? Lucky workers! Wonderful. Congratulations. Hope your fellow workers appreciate it as much as we do. I should think that the scale in real space would have an extra impact of environment. A window into an ideal and sumptuous setting. You may find people eating their lunch in front of it.

StratoArt
08-13-2014, 04:01 AM
You did that for a workspace? Lucky workers! Wonderful. Congratulations. Hope your fellow workers appreciate it as much as we do. I should think that the scale in real space would have an extra impact of environment. A window into an ideal and sumptuous setting. You may find people eating their lunch in front of it.

Thanks!! Yeah, it's for a new break room/green room for production/guest entertainment-relaxing room. We just converted what used to be a dingy garage that was just used for storage into a really nice break room. I've been using it to relax and draw too. The founder of the company wanted me to do a painting in there and I was working with the decorator on what would look good - and we decided that a large triptych in bold Autumn colors would look good in there.

Here's earlier photos about a month ago of what the room looks like. It's since been updated with lamps, and some art on other walls and a large mirror on one wall. There's a professional pool table and ping pong table in there plus there may be a foosball table coming. The garage door has been revamped and since we can't get rid of it due to building codes it is covered by a nice thick curtain.

The blank wall there is where my paintings will hang.

This is still looking bare right in this shot, but it's since been decorated.

French doors lead to our production department where I work.

StratoArt
08-13-2014, 04:03 AM
Once the paintings arrive and I hand-brush the impasto embellishing gel on them and they are hung, I'll take more pics of it. That way you can see how ArtRage was used to enhance a really nice break room that will be seen by many people, we get lots of tours.

D Akey
08-13-2014, 04:08 AM
Sounds like my kind of garage! Awesome. Compliments to you all and especially the boss.

Please take us a photo when you have the giclees in place. Fun!

StratoArt
08-13-2014, 04:40 AM
Sounds like my kind of garage! Awesome. Compliments to you all and especially the boss.

Please take us a photo when you have the giclees in place. Fun!

I sure will, thanks!

StratoArt
08-21-2014, 02:36 AM
As promised! The giclee prints just arrived!! I just opened them up this morning. They were professionally packaged. They are gallery-wrapped prints with black sides from Fine Art America (I love that place.) They are pretty large at 40" x 22" with a clear gloss coating that gives them an oil look. I put the coffee cup in there for comparison. This photo still doesn't do them justice, they look great in person. I am very, VERY pleased with the results. I was biting my nails in nervous anticipation waiting to see the results. They are beautiful! Once they are hung on the wall (they are just sitting temporarily on my table) I'll get another photo of them, hopefully standing beside them.

Just remember - that these were done entirely in ArtRage - my favorite painting program now!

dustinwilson
08-21-2014, 02:50 AM
Holy crap that's great. I know I always have a nice feeling when my work is printed. I've actually never printed mine on canvas, but I'm going to give it a go with my latest one. I'm going to be interested in seeing your impasto finishing. It'd be great if you made a video showing your working on one of them.

StratoArt
08-21-2014, 09:38 AM
Okay, I'm starting to brush on the embellishing gel. But, I'm doing it on a sample giclee that I personally printed out. The white gel will turn clear after drying. It is very important that the brush strokes correspond to the texture in the painting. The tree's bark is a horizontal texture and I use a dappled approach to the bushes and leafy areas. I use smoother strokes for the trees in the background. I have a video that I made too, it is just a silent hand-held video. I had to hold the camera in one hand and embellish the print with the other, which was hard. I did apply some music to it, but there's no talking. I'll upload that soon. Again, as usual with photographs of this nature, the photo doesn't do it justice, it looks MUCH better in person, trust me.

Most of the left side is embellished but I intentionally left the right side untouched to show the difference.

When viewed from the front you see right through to the painting. When moving around the painting, it shimmers here and there where the embellishing is applied. There is added depth in this technique.

StratoArt
08-21-2014, 02:53 PM
I'm just waiting on my video to upload to YouTube - but here is my blog post on the subject of embellishing this digital giclee print.
I'm extremely pleased with ArtRage while working on this rather large triptych.

Embellishing Giclee Prints (http://stratoartblog.wordpress.com/2014/08/20/embellishing-giclee-prints/)

copespeak
08-21-2014, 05:46 PM
You've done a beautiful job on your painting/s. That gel is quite interesting, I've never seen it used before!

StratoArt
08-21-2014, 10:38 PM
You've done a beautiful job on your painting/s. That gel is quite interesting, I've never seen it used before!

Thank you!

I just posted this video demo of how I "paint" the embellishing gel on there.

http://youtu.be/fwGNRc4yPNk

D Akey
08-22-2014, 05:02 AM
Glorious. What a great finish. I'm very impressed.

So a couple questions:

1) That is gloss polymer gel is it? It's been a while, and I don't think I ever used it for other than mixing in with acrylics, rather than applying it for the surface patina. It kind of threw me because I look at the giclee not as a bunch of ink, but I see it as a painting, and so seeing you applying a plastic onto oil was jarring and I kept having to remind myself that it's ink.

2) Why were you painting on something that was as yet not mounted onto stretcher bars. I thought that was what giclees came mounted on -- similar to blank canvases for painting.

Anyway, the triptych is sensational. Bravo!!!!!!!! Super inspiring. :):):):):):cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::):):):):)

StratoArt
08-22-2014, 05:39 AM
Glorious. What a great finish. I'm very impressed.

So a couple questions:

1) That is gloss polymer gel is it? It's been a while, and I don't think I ever used it for other than mixing in with acrylics, rather than applying it for the surface patina. It kind of threw me because I look at the giclee not as a bunch of ink, but I see it as a painting, and so seeing you applying a plastic onto oil was jarring and I kept having to remind myself that it's ink.

2) Why were you painting on something that was as yet not mounted onto stretcher bars. I thought that was what giclees came mounted on -- similar to blank canvases for painting.

Anyway, the triptych is sensational. Bravo!!!!!!!! Super inspiring. :):):):):):cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::):):):):)

Thank you so much! I've actually begun embellishing the large gallery-wrapped prints, and I'll post some updates on those.

For 1), This isn't really for mixing with acrylics with oil. At least not this specific product. I did see acrylic gel from the "Golden" line and you can mix it with acrylics. But I didn't see that with this product. I'm not sure what you mean by "applying a plastic polymer onto oil" The printers that made these giclees did spray an acrylic gloss coat archival sealant on it before shipping. So what this is, is an acrylic gel that dries clear, meant to be brushed on in an impasto fashion over a giclee print.

For 2), What you are seeing there, is me practicing on my own giclee print out. I have an Epson Stylus Pro 4900 and I wanted to practice the technique on a sample canvas (Epson exhibition satin canvas) before applying the embellishing to the real thing.

D Akey
08-22-2014, 06:04 AM
Cool.

What I meant about the polymer gel over oil was that it's often seen to be risky to put oil base over water base and visa versa in the long run. Were you to try to take an oil painting and brush acrylic (plastic based medium) over it, it would either resist or run the risk of cracking or coming off -- that's what I remember from regular painting and mixing mediums a couple decades ago.

No, with giclee ink, it's likely not an issue when you're putting the impasto goop over it because it looks like it's been developed for that kind of surface (or it was a preexisting material that also works on this surface). If there is a coating over the ink that is water base (?) then adding something water base over it would suggest it would work. But my thinking is merely trying to associate what you're doing to what I remember of painting materials and how they work together or not.

So seeing how well you had it working made me wonder if you're using a product that was a polymer gel medium originally designed to work with acrylic paint. The stuff I'm talking about also goes on milky then dries clear and it came in matte and gloss (gloss was truer to the colors underneath, matte retained a little bit of a milky haze, depending on how thick it was applied). So your video got me to wondering if they just realized gel medium could be sold to this giclee market because it automatically filled that niche -- same product, different label.

I don't know much about giclees other than in theory of what they are basically, and of course by now they would have come up with materials where you could do what you were doing. I just recall people who added onto paintings that resembled an oil painting actually painted oil over the giclee. Did it last? I don't know since I had only bumped into it in galleries seeing other people's work -- and that was over a decade ago. A lot has happened since with the technology.

StratoArt
08-22-2014, 06:23 AM
Cool.

What I meant about the polymer gel over oil was that it's often seen to be risky to put oil base over water base and visa versa in the long run. Were you to try to take an oil painting and brush acrylic (plastic based medium) over it, it would either resist or run the risk of cracking or coming off -- that's what I remember from regular painting and mixing mediums a couple decades ago.

No, with giclee ink, it's likely not an issue when you're putting the impasto goop over it because it looks like it's been developed for that kind of surface (or it was a preexisting material that also works on this surface). If there is a coating over the ink that is water base (?) then adding something water base over it would suggest it would work. But my thinking is merely trying to associate what you're doing to what I remember of painting materials and how they work together or not.

So seeing how well you had it working made me wonder if you're using a product that was a polymer gel medium originally designed to work with acrylic paint. The stuff I'm talking about also goes on milky then dries clear and it came in matte and gloss (gloss was truer to the colors underneath, matte retained a little bit of a milky haze, depending on how thick it was applied). So your video got me to wondering if they just realized gel medium could be sold to this giclee market because it automatically filled that niche -- same product, different label.

I don't know much about giclees other than in theory of what they are basically, and of course by now they would have come up with materials where you could do what you were doing. I just recall people who added onto paintings that resembled an oil painting actually painted oil over the giclee. Did it last? I don't know since I had only bumped into it in galleries seeing other people's work -- and that was over a decade ago. A lot has happened since with the technology.

Oh, I see what you are saying. Yes, I definitely agree that it's not good to put an acrylic over oil or visa versa. Yeah, with giclee printing nowadays, since they are dealing with inks, albeit in a very sophisticated way, and when they spray a coat of archival gloss coat over it (and that is water based), it's no problem at all do do this water-based impasto embellishing.

The particular company I got my embellishing mediums from is called Premier Art - but I got it through one of their dealers, ITSupplies - as I also buy my printer ink from them too for my Epson 4900 - EXPENSIVE ink btw. here's a link to the embellishing gel: https://www.itsupplies.com/Premier-Imaging/Premier-Eco-Elegance-16oz-clear-3001-5116 and they have a nice video of how it's applied to giclees too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxHU0SSiGyU

I did get some print shield coating from them too for future works. I found out that I didn't need it for these giclees because the printer already applied that gloss coat. The Eco Print shield stuff is here: https://www.itsupplies.com/Premier-Imaging/PremierArt-Matte-ECO-Print-Shield-Quart-BR-3101-MQT and they show you how to apply it: http://youtu.be/N2Kkvrhr20E

It's really my first time doing this kind of embellishing on a giclee print, so I don't call myself an expert on it, but honestly, it's so easy to apply and it's kind of fun. It's like brushing the texture back into my painting, like I was meaning to do within ArtRage. So in a sense, it is like bringing a digital print closer to something that is painted traditionally, like an oil or acrylic painting.

I believe Thomas Kinkade used this method (I'm not a fan of his work though), but he and his sub-artists applied actual paint to prints, and when he would touch it, that print would be very very expensive. I believe many artists do actually do this to their prints, depending on the genre of art. For instance, I probably wouldn't do this to a typical aviation art piece, I dunno, it depends I guess. It works very well and looks excellent with landscapes. I guess it depends on the artist and how they "paint" the texture back onto their giclee prints.

I find it really fun actually, and the fact that I was able to paint initially with ArtRage, which I seriously have fallen in love with, makes it all the better.

pai
08-23-2014, 01:37 AM
Oh, I love this post a lot. Thanks for sharing your awesome painting as well as the process and photos about how you printed out and the final process. As I really want to print out few to see my work in real...haha...I have to favorite this post. So easily for me to go back to read more details on how you process this. Beautiful painting. :):)

StratoArt
08-26-2014, 01:11 PM
Oh, I love this post a lot. Thanks for sharing your awesome painting as well as the process and photos about how you printed out and the final process. As I really want to print out few to see my work in real...haha...I have to favorite this post. So easily for me to go back to read more details on how you process this. Beautiful painting. :):)

You are very welcome! I'm starting another commissioned piece, again done entirely in ArtRage, I'll keep everyone updated in the work-in-progress on that one.

StratoArt
08-26-2014, 02:54 PM
Okay, here I go again - The last video I posted showed me embellishing the small size practice print of my ArtRage triptych painting "Autumn Glory" - you can see that here: Embellishing a Giclee Print Part 1 (youtu.be/fwGNRc4yPNk)

What I'm doing here in the video you see here is that I'm brushing the impasto gel in the direction of the foliage, pretty much like I did in the digital painting. The key here is to brush in the shape and direction that you want the texture to be. Where the furthest part of the background is, I would just use smooth strokes, but where the leaves and brush and grass where, I'd use a dappling approach to the brush work. The dappled texture when dry would be clear but give the painting more of an impasto feel to it, and enhance the value of the digital print.

I've just posted a short 4 minute video of how I brush on the embellishing gel onto the full size giclee prints:

http://youtu.be/1vtxkSv_lVo

D Akey
08-27-2014, 01:00 AM
Neat-o. Good to see the application process.

Too bad you can't very easily show the effect when dry on camera since it's so subtle and dependent on angle and lighting and so on and it only really shows up in a big way when wet. The ultimate result, no doubt, is to have it enhance rather than distract from the giclee image. . . which makes it harder to see on camera in its final state.

I'll for sure keep it on my radar to look if I wander into a real world gallery where they have samples.

Again, well done indeed and Bravo!

StratoArt
08-27-2014, 02:34 AM
Neat-o. Good to see the application process.

Too bad you can't very easily show the effect when dry on camera since it's so subtle and dependent on angle and lighting and so on and it only really shows up in a big way when wet. The ultimate result, no doubt, is to have it enhance rather than distract from the giclee image. . . which makes it harder to see on camera in its final state.

I'll for sure keep it on my radar to look if I wander into a real world gallery where they have samples.

Again, well done indeed and Bravo!

Yeah, it takes several hours for the gel to completely dry, and that would make for some boring video. haha! but they got the art up on the walls. I just came into work and just took a peak - looks great!
This is our break room/conference room/green room/guest room - so lot's of people will see the art. I'll try to get some pics of me standing by it soon. Thanks!

eighty+
08-27-2014, 03:54 AM
Dale one word FAB well Worth all the hard work and time you have spent on it Congratulions

and thanks for taking us with you from the beginning to the end regard's Mr Ploos

Bertrude
08-27-2014, 03:56 AM
Positioned right around the edge of a pool table - brave, very brave ;)

It looks great by the way.

StratoArt
08-27-2014, 04:01 AM
Positioned right around the edge of a pool table - brave, very brave ;)

It looks great by the way.

haha! yeah I know what you mean, but there's actually a good deal of room there, you can't really tell it from that angle. The ping-pong table has me worried. haha!

Thanks!!

StratoArt
08-27-2014, 04:03 AM
Dale one word FAB well Worth all the hard work and time you have spent on it Congratulions

and thanks for taking us with you from the beginning to the end regard's Mr Ploos

You're very welcome and thank you for watching the progress! I got another one that is starting to be in the works. A summer scene at Big Bear Lake, California. I'll post it's progress in the Work-in-Progress section when I get started.

StratoArt
08-27-2014, 05:05 AM
My wife took this picture of me by the artwork.

D Akey
08-27-2014, 06:15 AM
Good you don't have it behind the ping pong table so it won't get damages as they dive for a shot. :D

I have to say you have an enlightened boss to have provided such a pleasant recreation area for the employees. Whoever did the interior did a very nice job. Looks very cool and the painting(s) look great in there as well. Did they know the color scheme of the painting and choose paint color and so on based on the painting, or visa versa, or did it just work out through basic psychic mind melding. Not sure what kind of work they do there. Could be CIA experiments or something, and this room is the happy byproduct.