PDA

View Full Version : my lil' gallery

Taron
03-10-2007, 02:44 PM
Hey there,

only recently I found Artrage 2 and was blown away. It takes a moment to get into the groove, so to say, but I'm learning with great pleasure. Took me a while to realize the power of the basic paint brush and its thinner amounts, but I'm starting to get it...

This is my first bigger "painting" and the third experiment with it and took about 3 hours (lot's of testing around)

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/files/atreecity_182.jpg[/img]

friendly
03-10-2007, 02:49 PM
Taron i think you did excellent with this., very good

pai
03-10-2007, 03:01 PM
Hi Taron,

Welcome to the forum. :D I can see your third expirement was made after trying lots of different tools. Really nice tree drawing and the color blending. Looks like you're having fun with AR.

Do you use a reference pic or just your imagination. I like the composition of it.

Taron
03-10-2007, 03:03 PM
Thanx a lot, that's really friendly! :D

I'm still quite clumbsy in it, but I think I'm getting it piece by piece. I just love how it feels. It's so unbelievable and almost mean that it's a $20 software, because it truely is a unique experience to paint in it and the results do not reveal at all that it's such a low budget app. I've written and released software myself, although of a somewhat different kind (after effects - plugins (ZbornToy)), but I'm put to shame about the price I have to ask for in order to approach anything like a living with it.

Anyway, it's an amazing blast to paint with ArtRage, I just wished it had two more typical real life painting features: masking and brushtip tapping.

Thank you again for the instant feedback! :)

Taron
03-10-2007, 03:09 PM
Uh, fast replies, haha... hey Pai! Thanx for welcoming me! :D

No reference, just doodling around. I love the technique of simply laying down a gradient from background to foreground and then dragging out shapes to suggest elements vanishing in haze and fog. It's very quick and freeform and allows a very dimensional sensation without any real effort.

I've tried out loads of thinner on the paint brush to get the smoother transitions and then totally harsh paint for the tree. I've used only a bit of knife, pencil and some insignificant touches with the wax crayon (haha, I don't even know the names of the tools, jeee.).

I could upload my first two tests, too...hmm...in those I went a little wilder with the different tools. Hmmm...

ok... here:

AndyRage
03-10-2007, 03:17 PM
Ooh, stunning stuff, Taron. Welcome to the forum. Tree city is fantastic. Nice idea and well painted.

pai
03-10-2007, 03:23 PM
WOW !! what a style and you're fast to creating the first two drawings. They can tell you have drawing skill. Also, I have checked out the ZbornToy. You're another talented programmer.

Me, I'm no painter or know anything about digital drawing, I just start learn to draw since February when I found this Art Rage. Hope you see more of your work here. :D

Taron
03-10-2007, 03:28 PM
Thank you, Andy! I'm kind of excited to bounce into this forum. I'm browsing through the submissions and there are so many fantastic pieces. It's a great pleasure to join in!

I hope that I can soon even contribute with some tips and tricks, because it feels like AR is full of magic that can be shared. Sounds a little funny, I know. I'm looking forward to learning from the masters in here, too, who post such amazing pictures that just scream of traditional art origin.

Also, I'm already thrilled by the fast and positive replies! I already feel very welcome! :D

Taron
03-10-2007, 03:36 PM
Uh, I can't keep up replying, hahaha! :D

Hey, Pai! Well, it looks much like you've made a fantastic choice! Digital painting is a beautiful way to get into all this and AR is a dream come true for everyone, i think, but particularely for starters! It's deceiving simplicity gives you such a fast ride into it and the instant appeal by the beautiful paint simulation really gives some instant gratification.

However, there are certain methods which make it easy to get to interesting results without having been trained as an artist, i think. And I'd love to share those with you, too!

I personally have by now decades of experiences behind me with digital art, doing 3d arts and animation as well as 2d pixel grafics (20 years ago that was the way to go!), but my digital painting "carreer" in this current style is very young. I've started...hmm...I think 2005 with full paintings, using openCanvas, actually and later some photoshop. I did see AR back then, but felt like I didn't have any control. Why and how it so happened, that I now so quickly begin to become ecstatic with AR2, I don't quite know, but anyway...enough about me! :)

Allegra
03-10-2007, 04:23 PM
Hi Taron, wow!
Great work looking forward to seeing more:)

Taron
03-10-2007, 04:49 PM
Hi Allegra,

I've just seen your moused treefrog and was truely impressed! Can't wait for you to get a Wacom! :D

Guess we're both noobies to AR?! It's too much fun, isn't it. I'm actually almost rather in awe!

I've just discovered the 30min thread in the Art Projects topic and couldn't resist to try that. I've done speedpaints before a whole lot actually, but never in AR. I'm totally shocked how freaking great it works and what a great training that is.

30min landscape:
http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/files/30min_landscape_858.jpg

Taron
03-10-2007, 06:27 PM
Just saw the Art Project "Gene Pool" topic...really cute idea!

I think I'm just gonna use this thread to post new images... might be less chaotic, than to add new threads all the time...

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/files/elefantom_137.jpg

Allegra
03-10-2007, 07:55 PM
:lol: Love it !
A new environmentally sound fuel source?

Taron
03-10-2007, 08:12 PM
:lol: hahaha, certainly someone, who wants to have his opinion heard! :D

I actually wanted to make it look like he plays his trunc like an instrument! :wink:
Thanx, Allegra!

heikki
03-10-2007, 08:31 PM
:)

Hei Taron.

Fine paintings......is that last one fireman or..... :D

:)

AndyRage
03-10-2007, 09:11 PM
Oh Rockin'!
Brilliant character (err.. elephant thing). The style is great, the form and musculature is excellent, and it's just painted brilliantly.

Taron
03-10-2007, 11:58 PM
THANX A LOT, Andy! Means a lot to me to get such great feedback from you!

Sometimes a topic makes it so easy to just freeflow make something that's somehow composed of clear shapes. And clear shapes always have some strength. It's a great way to explore different shading styles, too. I know the muscles are really in no way anatomically correct, but hey...he's playing with his trunc?! Haha... :lol:

One day I may make some more muscle studies again and also define them some more. This kind of stuff is somehow always fascinating.

Anyway, here's the final (I think it's final enough, definitely geeky enough!) of my WIP:
http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/files/landscapea_3h15min_166.jpg

I should call it "Red Pet Dragon". :D

ENCHANTER
03-11-2007, 01:27 AM
Hi,

these paintings/concept art are excellent.......wow!

:D

jacktar51
03-11-2007, 02:08 AM
Hi Taron... Welcome to the forum.. nice to see you posting straight away..some really artistic work there,we do have some first rate artists in Artrage, and more are coming in all the time..nice to have you join us.... Jack.

Taron
03-11-2007, 02:18 AM
Thanx a lot! Hehe, I really have too much to learn to accept that feeling you were counting me to the "first rate" artists, but I'm very, very happy to hear that eitherway! :D

Funny enough, I think everything I've posted I just made today... whereby now it's already yesterday...I'm still up. Kinda crazy that way.

Well, thanx again! You can be sure there will come a whole lot more!

ENCHANTER
03-11-2007, 03:01 AM
You are ADDICTED!! like the rest of us :

Ive been to youre website......there are a lot of good paintings there too :)

Prawnsushi
03-13-2007, 12:29 PM
wow amazing paintings :O

Taron
03-13-2007, 02:08 PM
Thanx again! I think I'll post my WIP result later today, but I've made a little superquick nonsense painting... just testing around... 30min I think.

Taron
03-14-2007, 01:28 AM
Alright, I'm going at it more boldly now, experimenting with the thickness of oil paints and blending ways (instant dry on/off, palette knife wielding, blending with brush itself...all that... OH, and metallic paint (lightly)).

It's wacky and coarse, but very fascinating. Loads to learn...

Taron
03-14-2007, 03:02 AM
Here's the result of my second WIP (a new landscape)...

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/files/landscapeb_3h15min_394.jpg

waheednasir
03-14-2007, 06:50 AM
very interesting thread to follow, really enjoyed the whole trip...:). all are good, but 2 of them that i like the most are : FirstFull and the last one (just above my reply).

good stuff Taron.

cym
03-14-2007, 12:41 PM
Stunned wordless again by another great artrager. Fantastic...(lame, I know, but add someone behind the word whose eyes opened wide while thinking it and then sighed with envy).

Peter Pinckney
03-14-2007, 01:08 PM
Absolute delight ................ fantastic paintings that make you think.....love your work thanks for sharing it!!

Allegra
03-14-2007, 02:23 PM
Hi Taron, you've been having some fun and producing wonderful work ;)

Love the winged creature, wouldn't it be great if people sighted these guys running around instead of Bigfoot, Yowies and Buyips!

Allegra
03-14-2007, 02:24 PM
Bunyip, can't find the edit button;)
BTW the wings are stunning!

Taron
03-14-2007, 03:20 PM
Funny enough, I had never heard of Bunyip before, but it turns out that nobody can make up his/her mind over them, hahaha! Funny stuff...straight to the "gene pool" thread! :D

THANX EVERYONE! That's a sudden and great response! I'm again energized by your feedback and won't stop posting new stuff for a while! I'm very sure I'll start at least one new experiment tonight! 8)

Fashmir
03-14-2007, 05:42 PM
Hey Taron- Shame on me for not jumping in sooner. This is cool shtuff. I'm liking your thread a lot. Nice one to follow. Keep inspiring.

Taron
03-14-2007, 07:34 PM
Alrighty, here's a new one... saw the tips&tricks section and simply got inspired by the idea of making clouds again. It's really just a silly quicky, but curious enough, i thought.

about 35min...

hanzz
03-15-2007, 07:25 AM
Right on target again.
You are a real + factor to this forum.

Taron
03-15-2007, 10:05 PM
Here we go... a little freeflow character fun! I'm recently watching the old Star Trek at night...hehe... what a delight. I love with what simple means they tell stories. However, it really makes me think of all the hardcore oldschool trekkies, hehe...

However, the biggest pain in this image were the silly gradients in the background, which i made after the guy himself. I'm still very clumbsy with smooth transitions and can't find any efficient way of doing them. Maybe I should look through the tips&tricks section and see if there's anything about that?!

Head took like 1.5hours, while the gradients took easily half an hour!

ENCHANTER
03-16-2007, 12:55 AM
wow!!

you do have away with the humanoid form :)

Selby
03-16-2007, 11:10 AM
A great thread Taron..lots of pretties to look at...the cloud tree is my favourite :D

Selby

pai
03-16-2007, 04:41 PM
Hi Taron,

Your drawings are so amazing. It's so fun to look at them. You're so creative. :D Give us some more.

Taron
03-18-2007, 12:51 AM
Thanx everyone again!

This time I've experimented with completely different things, making some patterns with my own software to use as grain in AR2. Really curious stuff. I mean, this is all utter nonsense in this case, but I can see partially some potential for foliage and such. :idea:

Here's a link to the patterns i just posted in the "art supplies" thread...
http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=61

anickyst
03-19-2007, 12:14 AM
Hi Taron. I know youve heard this before but your work is amazing. So much variety here and their all great in their different ways. Keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing more.

All the best
anickyst

Lagoon
03-19-2007, 03:40 AM
Wow! This... Simply WoW.
Keep up the good work Taron!

pai
03-19-2007, 11:20 AM
hi taron,

i really like this one. the patterm at the left side looks magical.

Taron
03-20-2007, 09:41 PM
I've just been doodling around a lil' and made a superquick landscape sketch, but then decided to add some subject into the foreground. I think it's save to show this "before 9 o'clock", but let me know if there's any worries, please.

I'm thinking of turning this into a work in progress, because I may continue with it after all, but well.... here it is after about 1hour.

I also have used no reference on the guy, but I did look at some rainclouds for inspiration.

AndyRage
03-20-2007, 10:06 PM
Oooh, stunning stuff. You have a great sense of depth in your paintings.

D Akey
03-21-2007, 06:20 AM
Wild imagery.

I love the Mr. Spock with attitude.

Like the saying when the fight is taking a nasty turn 'The gloves are coming off.' in this painting, 'the ears are coming off', meaning stoicism is out the window.

hanzz
03-21-2007, 06:37 AM
Great mood painting. I think you're absolutely right in delving in this further.
I'm very curious ! THanks for showing.

jacktar51
03-21-2007, 07:44 AM
Hi Taron....I love this thread you have going,it is very interesting.to see some of this work evolving,you are contributing to this forum whole heartedly...good to have you with us.....thank you.... Jack.

Taron
03-24-2007, 09:34 PM
Thanx everyone, once again! I must say you are a great and very motivating group to be with. Artrage rocks, but you guys pull me into it with no escape route left...haha! :D ...so Thanx a whole lot! ;)

I've just been doodling again and must realize, after looking through my lil' gallery here, that I do seem to repeat myself a lil' too much in terms of placement and arrangement. Hmmm.... anyway... here's a new work in progress. I may post a thread there, too.

Selby
03-24-2007, 09:36 PM
ooh i like this it really effective...feels lonely and a little bit dangerous

Selby

D Akey
03-24-2007, 10:16 PM
Into a distant land. . . that even Triceritops forgot. . . came a stranger. . .

Very cool fantasy stage for something exciting.

tinzo
03-25-2007, 03:02 AM
Hi taron, welcome to the forum, I'm a newby too, but they all seem like a very friendly bunch here at ARage. I really like your first posts. :D

Taron
03-25-2007, 08:25 PM
Thanks, Tinzo, yup, I think in terms of community we really did hit a jackpot here. Really a sweet and talented crowd!

Thanks, D Akey and Selby! I've continued with it and really went into a funny direction with it... not sure where all this comes from, but I'm having some sort of a geek attack, haha! I feel like doing scifi nonsense. I have that from time to time...

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/files/yellow_hills_v04_532.jpg

But even more bizarre, here's todays doodle number 2... just felt like trying some silly concept stuff, which i still feel rather weak in, but then I couldn't help it and gave it at least somewhat of a bit of irony...hehe...

AndyRage
03-25-2007, 09:03 PM
Mmmm, nice! I like the mixed lighting and soft background of the second one particularly.
Brilliant stuff, Taron.

Taron
03-25-2007, 09:41 PM
Thanx! I did most of it with the pastells and obviously no texture for the most part. I used a bit of roughness on a few places as experiment. Some oil paint later for harder edges and highlights on the non-threatening robot, hehehe.

The "key light" has been it's own layer - set to Highlight. I've done a lot of erasing work on this one, which made it so fast and so effective with only a few "rubbs" so to say, haha.

The really funny thing was, that I scaled it down at some point to post it as a 30min sketch, when robot darling hasn't been there, yet. But suddenly it hit me and I needed to make that character, forgetting that I was scaled down already. So I ended up scaling back up, which gave the entire background a mild soft-focus so to say, lightly blurred. The robot then was painted at the higher resolution and became of course sharper. Need trick, I think.

Anyway, I'm almost thinking of making up a thread for the art project section. It'll have something to do with "happy rage", using simple rules to go wild and creative with very little time and effort! It's fun! I just need to come up with a sort of...ehm... curriculum, I almost believe. It may well be like a training type of exercise.

Taron
03-25-2007, 11:07 PM
What a relaxing Saturday this has been... here's the third painting of today, haha... crazy. Anyway, this has been inspired by the Art Project "One Hue". I really liked the idea a lot, because I'm still scared of color, believe it or not. I'm sure Tinzo can see it right away...hehe!

Anyway, here it is...
http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/files/one_hue_136.jpg

ENCHANTER
03-25-2007, 11:31 PM
these are amazing!!

I like how u put depth in :D

tinzo
03-26-2007, 05:23 AM
Taron, I'll have you know I love your little 'Yoda' walking through the green misty forest. This work as a lovely ambience to it. Really good stuff. :D

Taron
03-26-2007, 01:37 PM
Thanx a lot, Brian! I appreciate it! There seems to be a yoda conspiracy, though... :lol: ...ok, that's almost an "insider" already. Anyway, I think I've been watching too much star wars lately and now suffer the involuntary consequences... :shock:

Here's a new one... and my first go at cgtalk's daily sketches again, which I havn't participated in for many months, if not years by now :? ...

Topic:"Red Sun"

Allegra
03-26-2007, 02:05 PM
Hey Taron, wonderful going through your diary and looking at your new stuff.
I love your Yellow Hills, didn't it have a huge gorge in it?

The way the threatening cliffs appear to claw at you is brilliant.

Jetpack man is great , I want a jetpack can't wait until we can buy one commercially!

Taron
03-27-2007, 01:52 AM
You're really something, Allegra! :D ... a jetpack on a woman, who'd turn heads in jeans and a t-shirt, haha, that would cause some accidents! :lol:

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it!

Eversince Tinzo I see all my paintings like naive paintings at best, which is something I have always been aware of, just not as much, haha! But that's great, I feel like this sends me even further into a journey I had started not too long ago. The path to traditional art and what gives it so much strength.

It's my personal pride that forces me to mention, that I do whip all of these things out of my head, trying to imagine what this would look like, how it was lit and all the bouncing around of light. What portion of the light gets absorbed where and where would it get only reflected. Everything I'm doing is all I can do from my imagination only. But I am using that as an excuse far more than as a proud announcement. I had and now have to acknowledge even more that working with references will certainly take an artist to a higher level, but I'm just too lazy and not resourceful enough to go down that road.

Anyway, here's my latest lil' sketch, although this one I did let brew for most of the better half of today, with about 3.5 hours of actually touching it.

I came up with a very neat way of quickly making these trees, though. First a stam for the placement only, then the darker more saturated inner leafs and overall shape of the tree's crown. Then I continue with the branches over those dark green inner leafs. After that the front leafs go over top of it all with a brighter and mostly less saturated green, either trying to simulate direct light hits of the sun and/or the sky's blue. I also go around the rim of the leafs with a lightly brighter color to simulate a bit of the translucency of the leafs that are on the outside. It goes VERY, very quick. The second tree (midground) in the painting took roughly 5minutes including the cute little Bob Ross bushes around it...hehe...

Allegra
03-27-2007, 02:07 PM
Hey Taron,
A Jetpack would be the coolest thing! I could soar like I do in my dreams;)

Taron I've always thought of painting as Godlike, it's the closest you can get to creating a reality and allowing the viewer a glimpse of your reality.

Many artists prefer to work from reference and I agree there is much to be gained from it but if you apply 'real world' principles to your style of work will it detract from the reality you create?

Who's to say what direction the sun throws shadows or if there is a sun, it's your reality, you create the rules.

Okay, I'm as guilty as you of being bone idle lazy when it comes to using a reference so maybe I've convinced myself of this truth;)

BTW I think your Mushroom is exquisite, it's not traditional, non traditional lighting, colours or style but I know it's a glorious mushroom just waiting to be plucked and drowned in garlic and butter;)

Taron
03-27-2007, 11:59 PM
Haha, you mean on my website?! Yeah, that was one of my last paintings before I went into a big break and didn't get to paint much at all. I originally made that as a thumbnail for one of my songs. I mean, if it is the painting you're refering to?!

Anyway, I was showing my wife my new tree technique real quick before she went to bed, hehe, which made me put another one into the last landscape. This time it took roughly 30sec!!! Then she was asking for a bird, so I put a little post in the forground and two little birds around it. One sits on it and the other one is hovering infront of it... probably sparrow type of birds, haha...the jpg compression really kills it a lot. Just a little fun. in the background I've added two bigger birds as suggestions, which somehow just bring a lil' more life into it, but are perfectly unrecognizable... maybe fassans (spelling?).

Here it is a little bit bigger than usual.
http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/files/landscapef_4h_332.jpg

D Akey
03-28-2007, 12:50 AM
Nice golden time ambiance to the whole thing as if just before sunset.

Dreamlike color.

jacktar51
03-28-2007, 02:10 AM
Taron this part I like the top half.....wellllllll it is a WIP....so progress it.....I wont let you get sloppy you can do better than this top half...and you know it... so stop messing about and show how good you are.... Jack.

Taron
03-28-2007, 02:57 PM
Thanx, Jack! Perfect advice! You were absolutely right and I'm thrilled you made me revisit it!!! :D

Here's an update... (better now?) ;)

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/files/landscapef_5h_141.jpg

Taron
03-28-2007, 03:22 PM
Tiny little bit of photoshop treatment on top.
1. black'n'white overlay
2. vignette with leaving out the sunlit areas on the bottom
3. slight bloom (screened blur)

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/files/landscapef_5h_fun_140.jpg

mymagma
03-28-2007, 03:47 PM
You're an absolute machine cranking one mesmerizing painting out after another and another. I love the style and themes of all these works, and after the whole journey, it's really hard to choose which one I like the most.
Fantastic, can't wait to see more...

Taron
03-28-2007, 05:06 PM
Thank you so much, deej! I really appreciate it. Yeah, once I enjoy something I'm a little obsessive, I guess...haha. I just can't quite stop.

However, I just now had this idea of trying to replicate the above steps directly in ArtRage and it worked not only fantastic, but also invited to tweak it in other ways, too! Great, great fun!

Steps in AR2 instead of photoshop (so no photoshop on this one!):

1. dublicate layer (let's call it "layer 2")

2. add new layer ("layer 3")

3. use layer blending->more blend modes->"color" on layer 3

4. paint it all white (it will turn it into a black and white image!)

5. merge this layer down over layer 2

6. use layer blending->more blend modes->"overlay" on layer 2

7. you might want to adjust it's opacity, but I left it on 100% in that case.

8. now you can use 50% gray to paint areas clean again, so they won't
have any effect on the main layer. You can then use the knife as well for
blending a little and what ever else you'd normally use. You can also pick
colors from lit areas to mildly paint them at places which should get
bounce light (the tree in foreground for example). It works fantastic.
Highlighting works great, too, if you use white on your paint brush as well.
Make accents, where you want them.

And then you get this (I really want to show it to you in full size, partially because I'm kinda proud of it, but also because it really works best big, I think. But you will have to download it!)

AndyRage
03-28-2007, 06:18 PM
That's a very cool technique, Taron.
The result is fantastic.

jacktar51
03-28-2007, 09:07 PM
Taron....Yep....Tizz good now.....and it is even more like John Constable paintings...I am impressed,thanks for doing that ,its made a big difference......Jack.

maror
03-28-2007, 10:23 PM
wonderfull works...

greez

Taron
03-28-2007, 11:21 PM
Thanx everybody, again!

Jack, that's pretty funny, I just looked up John Constable! You're right, it has a similar feel. I think there must be quite a few of a similar style, too. Curious.

Once you try to handle the oil somewhat more naturally, it seems like this kind of happens automatically. Guess the real trick on the technical side of things may be to figure out how to get smooth blends under control, so to say.

I saw some Frederic Edwin Church paintings, that were absolutely fantastic, when it comes to smooth blends. Same goes for a number of american landscape artists. I'm trying to figure out, however, how to get a more renaissance type of feel into my paintings. Church was around in the 19th century. I feel more like 17th.

pai
03-30-2007, 06:16 PM
hi taron,

they are so nice paintings and thanks for sharing the technique. i really like the clouds and the trees.

Taron
04-01-2007, 07:08 PM
Hi Pai, that's very sweet! Thank you! :oops:

I think this next one is a little different from all the others. First off, I've spend considerable time just staring at each stage of it (check W.I.P thread for it to see evidence for my indecisiveness.). Then it is far darker than all the others both literally as well as content wise. I will call the image:

Idols for idols

In the distant future most of nature is lost and humans may have evolved into their own creation, meaning this is going to sound much like any cheesy sci-fi and suggests machines to be the successors of humans after global warming has stripped earth of most life. However, when the A.I. had mirrored human thoughts and were left to their own devices, they began to realize the need for worship and recognized nature, or what's left of it, to be a proper entity to address.
These old trees became rare enough to be looked at as idols.
So the machines build idols for the idols.
That's all. :wink:

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/files/landscapeg_idols4idols_403.jpg

ENCHANTER
04-01-2007, 09:01 PM
wow
wow
and wow again!

i love the previous landscape painting, its a cross between a moden concept painter and an old master...like constable

and the newest one with the souls coming out of the mountains

cool

Art2
04-03-2007, 05:28 AM
Hey Taron,

What a pleasant surprise seeing you here and loving Artrage :!:

Love those last 2 landscapes, especially the last one has this Taron feel to it.

Great stuff.

Taron
04-03-2007, 08:40 AM
Hey Art2,

haha, feels like a little reunion already! :D
Yeah, I'm very happy about being here, too. Not to mention that I'm kind of ecstatic about artrage2 and painting again. It felt like forever that I havn't done 2d stuff. I'm kind of exploding right now with it, but I already know that I won't have a lot of time anymore for a while.. :( ...but I'm sure I will be able to squeeze in little sketches.

Are you going to post something new again, too? I found your old posts, great stuff!

Well... a toast to AR and this forum's crowd! :D

Allegra
04-03-2007, 11:45 AM
HI Taron,
ooh, idols for idols looks like God's dumping ground...great work but the stuff of nightmares!

Stephen Lo Piano
04-03-2007, 05:11 PM
Great stuff Taron, you have quite the imagination.
I lack the imagination for the comic book type of illustration yet took a serious interest in your landscape here.
I am confused at one point and do not understand how this applies to Art Rage 2. If you have a minute could you explain, I would like to try this on some of my projects;

use layer blending->more blend modes->"color" on layer 3

Once again really good artwork, thanks for your time and consideration.

Taron
04-03-2007, 06:25 PM
Hey Stephen, I'm not sure what exactly you are not sure about, but just in case I'll try to explain what this does. "Color" in the additional blending modi will apply this layers color to everything that is underneath it (other layers before this one). Let's say you have a black and white (B/W) image in layer 1 and you make a blue layer 2 and turn it's blendmode to color and you'll have your layer 1 B/W image turned blue. If you have a colorful image and you make a white layer on top, which is turned to color, it will turn that colorful image underneath into B/W.

I've used that technique to create a black and white version of the original layer. And so forth...

Hope that clarified it a little? Let me know... ;)

Here's today's little experiment...just a bit of atmospheric haze testing. I've used an arbitrary photo actually to pick always the darkest colors of each distance and use them to make my hills come forward piece by piece. I've noticed a bunch of tricky things about that, because if you decide to work with only the shadows for the base color, you quickly end up with big questions as to how to add bright details.... at least I was very thrown off. I'm trying to come up with good techniques, but I'm still nothing, really... SOOOOOOOO much to learn! It's insane... But very compelling. I almost wished I had more time and more money to have more time so I could simply study. It's not only fascinating, but empowering to think of having a great command in painting and colors, depth, light and technique altogether. Guess it's a lifetime of studying anyway...

Oh, yeah, the thing..eh...picture... here it goes, really nothin' special, but well...it's all i got for today. :?

And here's the photo: http://stimpy.rtij.nl/lonelycyclist/Hoogvlaktes11.jpg

jacktar51
04-03-2007, 07:57 PM
Hi Taron.... I am picking up a few tricks myself, from all your paintings, the two main things I think that make a big Impression on the viewer, is the depth of field you manage to get into all of them, and your second is the way that you use light and dark to maximum effect....Still looking, and following your work with very great interest...nice work Taron, keep it going Matey.......Jack.

Taron
04-03-2007, 10:08 PM
Thanx, Jack! Very sweet feedback! I'm very happy about sharing all that and can only wish for it to be inspiring in the way you've described. I'm still so new to all of this, really. I have been doodling for a few years now, but it's still all very clumbsy. Lately, and I firmly believe this is due to ArtRage, I feel like I'm coming closer to understanding more. Fantastic journey though!

I believe, as long as we all are sitting in this boat, we'll be rowing it together to bring us all forward faster! :idea:

Taron
09-04-2007, 12:31 PM
Alrighty, I found my old "lil' gallery" again... so here's another new sketch for today...hmm... I should probably post "senior wacko" here, too?! Hmmm....
Ok, I post both...

Here's the fantasy landscape first... just another free doodle, trying to warm up a little again. I did some photoshop color correcting and a mild bloom...

Taron
09-04-2007, 12:36 PM
Of course, here's also senior wacko to make it complete...

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/files/senior_wacko_ed_148.jpg

Wow, "Ambient Spotlights"? Haha, that's sweet! I feel very flattered an honoured! Very nice! THANK YOU!

likeke34
09-09-2007, 02:40 AM
i literally said, "wow" at each and every painting in this thread lol... amazing! I've just spent about 15hrs working on one piece and i took forever trying to get the foreground decent looking (still wasn't so I shadowed it out lol), and your doing these amazing pieces in such short times! inspiring! truly inspiring!

Taron
09-09-2007, 07:31 AM
Hehehe, thanks, that's a great post! :o ...... :D

Yup, once I'm on a roll I do things very quickly. I like to be surprised by the pictures myself, you know. As soon as you begin to noodle something to death, you only get this kind of echo of a laborpain when you look at it. Here and there I do elaborate on quick sketches on another day with some modifications, particularely when I was out of it for a long time, like just now for example. Here's "GoldenPeakFantasy" which is the result of some second day revisitation of "Fantasy_Landscape_n01" except this time no photoshop touches, this is straight out of artrage2.5 ...not that that's a shocker, I'm just saying, having to feel like making photoshop touch-ups is nothing but an artist's own weakness and not artrage's, you know. SO this one is straight artrage and you've seen it already in the "Gallery", but I bring it here for collecting purposes...

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/files/goldenpeakfantasy_143.jpg

D Akey
09-09-2007, 09:38 AM
Fantastic Taron!

Like you just snipped out the time you were gone. It seems like such an unbroken continuity.

Great stuff. I think I really like that head. Has a cool quality to it. And of course the landscapes are really atmospheric and cool.

Keep up the great work. :D :D :D

screenpainter
09-09-2007, 11:02 AM
Masterful and brilliant... all. You are an amazing painter.
Wonderful to see them all together.
Absolutely genius!

Taron
09-09-2007, 11:52 AM
Oh man, haha, thank you, thank you, I wish! I feel like I am nowhere near master level and really want to learn it so much. I can feel something, but it's mostly that I havn't yet made a single piece with the kind of control a master would have. Sure, I'm really not going through the traditional process of learning, because I almost exclusively paint from pure imagination and hopes of understanding as opposed to learning from copying or translating anything existing directly. I really think I should, but I'm always afraid it's a waste of time or I simply end up not having the patience. If you went to my website and looked at my "Daily Sketches", you'd find about 3 images which I had started by looking at photographs, but none of them ever went anywhere... ...I believe it's mostly because I think it's more a matter of technique and focus on the right things at the right time. I'm so sure there's material out there to learn from, but... yet again, I'm too impatient to go dig deep enough. I'd love to learn from traditional painting of masters. Tinzo has done a great thing to show a few examples of his workflow, yet, it's a very specific style and he focuses on different things and ends up at a very specific type of look. Also, oil painting is still different from working digitally in many respects. It's more about techniques with the material as opposed to the color/light based observations we need to understand and practice... ehm.... well... I think the reality is that I simply havn't found what I was looking for, yet, and continue to hope that I may discover it on my own or so.

Anyway, thank you again, very, very sweet and encouraging! I make a vow that once I have found out what I wanted to know I will share it with everyone, in case someone else is looking for what I have been after. It really is a promiss!

Taron
09-10-2007, 12:29 AM
http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/files/cosmonaut_v02_442.jpg

aboo74
09-13-2007, 08:38 PM
do you remember gpk? this is a cross between a garbage pail kid and that baby from 2001: Space Odyssey. that's what this one reminds me of, accept no cheesy name. :) this is great! you have wonderful detail work and super light work.

Adam

Taron
09-14-2007, 08:50 PM
Thanks a lot, Adam! I don't know gpk, but I might like it already...hehe! :D

Here's the pink landscape from the gallery...
http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/files/pink_landscape_v02_180.jpg

tinzo
09-15-2007, 02:45 AM
Hi Taron, I've really enjoyed browsing your gallery, I think your stuff is terrific, I think you've a very distinctive style.

Taron
09-15-2007, 08:26 AM
Brian, thank you so much. It's easy to imagine how much it means to me to read something so encouraging from a master like you. I'm doing all I can effort to do right now to learn and grow, while I know that I'm at best "well on my way" to reach the level I so want to reach in order to paint more fluently and more confidently the subjects I want to let come out of me. Until now it's all studies. I'm almost anxious for the day at which I can say: Here's my first actual picture. Of course, even that will be a study, yet, the subject will hopefully transcent the means of learning how to paint! :idea:

Thanks again! Everyone here acts like a perfect motivation factory, haha. I'm very happy! :D

Taron
09-30-2007, 08:59 PM
There we go... a silly little doodle! :D

Ah, yes, the funny thing about this one is, that I made a wacky stroke with the oil brush and saw the profile of this guy and simply made him whole! :)

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/files/sir_lolipop_167.jpg

tinzo
09-30-2007, 11:53 PM
Dear Taron, I know just what you mean, but I'm afraid, in my experience you never stop learning, but don't let that stop you. Above all, enjoy what you do.

Rowena
10-01-2007, 11:05 AM
Hi Taron, :D

I saw your gallery for the first time today and am so impressed by your works! I am so glad the artists here are starting to make their own gallery threads because otherwise things just get lost (to us all).

Anyway, not only did I marvel at your skills for creating space, lighting, color, techniques and all your imagination...

I am most appreciative that you were so generous to explain many of your impressive techniques, and ideas. I am very green to all this even though I love it just the same as you do :D

But I don't yet understand how to use the layers and such-like to excellent effect like you do, so it was particularly helpful that you explained what you did.

A BIG thank you from me :)

jacktar51
10-01-2007, 11:52 PM
Although it is not very Angelic going round the Universe spueing out planets, this is the one that stands out above the other paintings, it looks as though you were in full Artistic flow when this art poured out onto the screen....its nice to watch an artist in full flow....keep it up mate I still follow with interest, but how come the pictures are not in the main gallery, does this have to do with congestion???, very nice gallery anyhow,I shall look in again soon, I dont want to miss any little gems that might suddenly appear.....Jaqck.

shirly
10-02-2007, 12:12 AM
hey i really like your last work.......very beautiful gallery :lol:

Taron
10-06-2007, 11:00 PM
Ah, yeah, the full flow...wish I could keep it, but I'm pulling the brakes for some entirely different exercises right now. Today I have FINALLY decided to paint something NOT from my imagination. I grabbed our basket of onions from the kitchen, placed it underneath my desklight and raged ahead.... oh my goodness it's tough. It didn't take all that long at around 1.5 hours, but the process of guessing the colors, the shading (recognizing the shapes for what they are and what light would do them, whilst observing what they look like) and all the contrasts where altogether a real hard nut to crack. I can't yet get up and hurl around with tips, because this is literally the first time in easily 18 years that I decided to do something like that... back then it was at school. It's also the first "still life" I've ever done... but... with no further a do... I shall bring you:

ONIONS (thanks Pai for the inspiration!) :wink:

Caesar
10-06-2007, 11:33 PM
Terrific still life achievement!! From magic misty atmosphere to the everydays life with an highly professional art! :D
You're now about to draw the magic pot I associated Your name with! :lol:

screenpainter
10-06-2007, 11:50 PM
Just a wonderful painting full of many delightful touches. Truly looks like an oil painting, and an exquisite one to be sure. Masterful work.

tinzo
10-06-2007, 11:58 PM
Really nice work Taron, I think you've got the colour just right and the details are perfect...lovely.

Taron
10-07-2007, 12:44 AM
Uh, oh, thanx! Wow, what nice reactions, thank you all! I'm somehow getting kinda proud of it, but well...it's first of a series of paintings, which I'll probably make. I've already began to understand certain things, but it's all still very vague. Painting is so very, very, very different from doing 3d rendering work. Even the nature of observing ..eh...nature.. is different. I have to look for different things now and I'm just beginning to understand. The brain does so much interpreting of everything we're looking at, that it's still tricky to bypass those simplifications that the mind does immediately. I already have found that it is vital to imagine the shapes without trying to look at them to then read what you're looking at it correctly in terms of light and shadow. I'm already recognizing some of the subtleties of color, but not much as of now. I picked a rather greatful subject, which is somewhat monoton. I think the next step would be a more colorful pick of fruit, haha. However, I already sense a mild difference in how I look at the world. It's fascinating.

Brian, thank you so much. I really thought very hard about your suggestion to repaint a masterpiece, but I just can't bring myself to do that just yet. I need to be at a state where I would understand more of what I'm doing. I've done a silly little 1h paint of a photo of an orange, not really worth showing here...hmmm... anyway, and realized that I got nothing out of it. It just felt like I'm a plotter of sorts... a lazy plotter at that, haha. Ah well, here it is, but it's really nothing:

Anyway, it still inspired me to go ahead and do the "real" thingy and I'm really grateful for it! So, thanks again, Brian!

And thanks again to everyone, I feel really encouraged and really flattered! 8)

Caesar
10-07-2007, 01:16 AM
It seems that Your eyes are an high resolution colour sampling machine!!! :o It' really stunning, so brilliant!!

screenpainter
10-07-2007, 02:04 AM
Yes, brilliant is the right word. You have "it."
Downplay it all you want,
but it is the sensibility of a master painter.
The orange is truly juicy and the rind is soft and perfect in color...
we can feel it by looking at the painting.
You have an innate and priceless gift of conveying
the beauty within everyday objects with brush strokes.
And the gift of seeing light and how it defines the objects and plays
upon them.
You have better than perfect vision. Very rare!
Share your gift...
It is wonderful stuff.

D Akey
10-07-2007, 08:13 AM
Wonderful depictions of surface.

Makes me want to buy something for the kitchen. :D :D :D

AndyRage
10-07-2007, 08:54 AM
Taron, the onions and orange are gorgeously rendered. You have a magnificent eye for detail and lighting.
These are absolutely beautiful.

pai
10-07-2007, 04:47 PM
Hi Taron,

The last two still life paintings are very real and rich in color. The orange shows very juicy. :D Your technique is excellent. It's a good one for me to learn. Thank you. :D Could I ask how long have you been painting/drawing in computer?

Taron
10-07-2007, 05:20 PM
Wowsa again! Airborne, you're out-doing yourself with the beauty of your feedback, no doubt. Thank you so very much! Just be carefully not to turn me into a fan of the guy you're decribing, hahaha! ;) THANKS, man!

Andy, I love artrage and you know it! And if you havn't known it, you should know it now. However, I would so incredibly much love meeting you and talking with you and maybe even the gang. I wished I was in a position to do that. You are all brewing a perfect pearl and you're damn close to turning it into a life-changer for everyone with even remotely creative desires as well as perfect pros. I find myself in the upper middle or maybe (dare I say) in the lower top and despite my occasional bitching I'm in love with the tool!

Pai, I've started doing pixel grafics on computers in 1986 and started actual professional work 1987, already, when I was 15. However, believe it or not, I havn't done full paintings (photoshop style) before about 4 years ago now, I think... let me check my website, because there you'll find the first full painting I'd ever done under the daily sketches...
http://www.taron.de/Daily/index.htm...oops, 3 years ago, oh how funny..errr... 9/11/2004 ...some anniversary that is. :?

Anyway, I've never stopped studying nature, because of my other cgi work (3d grafics as you can see on the rest of my website). These studies where, however, more logical, more "mathematical" in a way, even physical so to say. I would look at substance in completely different ways, analysing properties in regrads to light as it enters them or bounces off them and so forth. Studying for painting is a perfectly different story as I have just discovered, really.

Nowadays I'm in a painting frenzy, off and on, depending on how much time I'm given to play around. It means so much to me, I can't even tell you. It's something I love so dearly and feel so incredibly motivated to do... it's almost painful. I miss my music for sure, but hey, it's gotta come out somewhere, haha, this freakish urge to push something out of my head, capturing it briefly only to let it out to play again, hahaha.... eh.... anyway.

pai
10-07-2007, 06:56 PM
You're very talented! Your artworks in your website are stunning. :D

Taron
10-09-2007, 08:19 PM
Before I forget to post it here, too...

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=10675&stc=1&d=1191761998

"Juggler's break" Gallery thread (http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8200&highlight=taron)

"Juggler's break" Tutorial thread (http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8208&highlight=taron)

shirly
10-09-2007, 10:12 PM
amazing work :lol:

D Akey
10-10-2007, 07:45 AM
It's worth seeing many times. I love it. :D :D :D :D :D

Taron
10-10-2007, 03:37 PM
Here's just a quick pencil study, nothing serious. A lot of smudging and a wild oil backgound. It's a semi-fantasy sketch, but I looked at a glas of water for it.

Taron
10-10-2007, 03:39 PM
And again, just to have it here, too...

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=10913&d=1192418549

D Akey
10-10-2007, 04:29 PM
That glass has a really nice feel to it. Shiny and transparent, and of course, what could be better to show off highlights than a darkish background.

I'm amazed that this was a pencil. Used to be one would need to paint with gouache and a 00 sable brush for that kind of line. I usually associate pencil with sort of waxy prisma color on dark paper. I like this way better because it looks more mixed color like paint and more realistic.

Nice design of the reflections.

:D :D :D

RobertSWade
10-10-2007, 05:01 PM
I just wended my way through this gallery ... again. What an amazing process of evolution! Once again you blew me away with waterglass.

screenpainter
10-10-2007, 11:08 PM
Beautiful stuff. Love those white highlights.
A very discerning eye. :D

Taron
10-11-2007, 12:42 AM
And here's what it inspired me to make... I mean the waterglas. Felt like exploring it some more...

Although I have posted the image in the gallery, here's a version with a little bit of color correction.

Gallery thread (http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8249&highlight=taron)

tinzo
10-11-2007, 03:02 AM
Really Taron, this is work to be proud of, the latest of your work are all so imaginative and well constructed. Any artist would be only too pleased to call them there own..Well done buddy.

P.s. I really enjoyed browsing your website, once again wonderful set of works...you have a very strange imagination. Hehehe!

RobertSWade
10-11-2007, 09:02 AM
... just when you think it can't get better. Truely brilliant!

Taron
10-11-2007, 10:03 AM
Thank you very much, Brian. It's not so easy to come to grips with how I feel about these studies, you know. On one hand I'm so thrilled about the results, because it brings back a mild sense of magic, when you paint faithfully what's infront of your eyes and it turns out so believable or simply fascinating in terms of realism. On the other hand the same feeling is scary, too. I've mentioned it earlier, that these are the first times I've ever done this in such a way, really. I've been so strict on myself to explore things from pure imagination and now I've restricted myself to translate exactly what I was looking at. And it turns out to be so much more sophisticated than everything I've ever done in painting. When some may think that this is something to enrich self-esteem, it much rather humbles me. I sense that I'm progressively getting more scared to work without reference again. I'm almost getting scared to try yet another landscape. I've always seen the naive touch in my landscape approaches, but now... ...I'll have to find the right mindset to make these last four days a benefit to my confidence and enrich my painterly powers for the things that are really dear to my heart. I havn't found that angle just yet. I think there's more to digest. In a mild way it feels like I've just been touching the black board of 2001, hahahaha (small geek intermission).

Thanks again and thanks Robert! I really can by no means promiss that it will get any better anytime soon, haha, but you better believe I'll try! :D

pai
10-11-2007, 10:42 AM
Congrats!! Sound like you've reached another height. I really like to read your insight in your own painting experience. It's kind of helpful to me as a beginner to understand mine. Thanks. Your glass painting is so amazing real. :) The first water glass which the background is dark one, are you using crayon more than the oil?

Rowena
10-11-2007, 11:21 AM
Superb work :D

tinzo
10-12-2007, 02:45 AM
Hi Taron, I hear what your saying, painting is painting whether you paint from life or from your imagination. Most of the work I do these days, is done from my imagination, but backed up by practice and years of experience.

Over the last almost 60 years I've painted and drawn, thousands of works, many painted from life study, in other words, viewing what I'm trying to capture. This amount of experience now means, I know how to paint a rock or a tree, water or sky etc. So much so, that I can now put these things together with minor variations into a painting. Is it clever? or is it just practice, in all my years of experience, I still can't answer that question. Sorry buddy.

Taron
10-27-2007, 12:16 AM
Hmmm... I'll see that I take comfort in that! :)
Thanx again!

After having discovered the Layer Export feature I've just started to goof around with Zborntoy and artrage paintings... oh the joy!

This one is my latest addition to our precious pumpkin carving art project (http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9259), but here I'm posting the zborn version...

tinzo
10-31-2007, 07:08 AM
Wow..Love, love, love it. :wink: :wink:

Frenchy Pilou
11-13-2007, 10:03 PM
Hi Taron
Your ArtRage Paintings are tremendous! 8)
Very cool! Seems you have missed the permanent Artrage relaxing challenge (http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=18947) :wink:
Have happy painting! :D

Taron
12-13-2007, 08:23 PM
HEY FRENCHY, what a surprise! Yeah, it's a riot to paint with AR, I love it! THANKS! :D

Unfortunately I don't have much time these days, but here and there I do a little doodle... like this one from today:

pai
12-13-2007, 08:36 PM
Even just doodle is so nice already. It's nice to see your new painting again. :)

Taron
12-13-2007, 10:14 PM
Thanks, Pai! ;)
I'd love to do more, really. Hopefully I'll have some energy left to spend for it soon! :roll:

screenpainter
12-13-2007, 11:52 PM
well that is one heck of a doodle... fantastic work. :D

D Akey
12-14-2007, 05:36 AM
Taron, this is really great!

Nice job. Was it as fast as the minimal amount of paint would indicate?

Not only does it make it feel like it's using just enough paint and strokes, that gives it a feeling of really knowing how to go to the finish unerringly.

Shows a level of virtuosity that between this and your very polished ones that you ought to be able to handle painting most jobs in the appropriate amount of time for the various ends for which you could be commissioned.

Certainly expressive acting at the level animators might like.

:D :D :D

Rowena
12-14-2007, 09:11 AM
Fabulous portrait Taron :D

I've missed seeing your wonderful works here, welcome back :D :D

Is_It
12-14-2007, 10:48 AM
i love it, i love them all, u are really brillant, what a great imagination u have! awesome :D :D :D :D

Nickillus
02-05-2008, 08:35 PM
Fascinating stuff Taron. Your command of colour and lighting is wonderful throughout. Those still lifes are simply magnificently done though. Really glad I dropped by after not doing so for far to long.

Taron
06-06-2008, 10:25 PM
So, now that I'm back to the gallery with my first releasable sketch since arriving in LA again, I shall update my lil' gallery, too!

Here's a fantasy impression of croatia and as a cloud study...
http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=16687&d=1212720005

Bumble
06-07-2008, 12:14 AM
I love the clouds:) They are beautiful:D

Fashmir
06-07-2008, 04:19 AM
Hey Taron's back! Nice work.

D Akey
06-07-2008, 04:37 AM
Wondered what happened to you.

Certainly those are great clouds.

Nice to see you around here again.

Lee
06-08-2008, 09:26 AM
Dear Taron,, well now! so glad you'r back, missed you and your work! so exceptional, your doodle portrait shows how much you have grown in your art, and the ruins painting with those clouds? well now:D,

Taron
06-10-2008, 09:17 AM
Here's a big round of THANKS again to all of you! :o

I'm currently still in a strong painting/drawing mood, but I've discovered real pastels for myself and find myself making a lot of experiments with them outside of virtuality on good old paper, whereby I'm not so hot on ingres or pastel paper...too textured/rough, which makes it hard to do percise elements or details. Well, sure, it may not be a medium for details, but I still love to have options... and that's the sort of thing that drives me back to the machine to some degree, yet, i'm amazed how well all the things I've learned within Artrage alone help doing analogue paintings. I've made another glass the other night, but with my pastels and it's actually not bad at all... (i'm not sure how welcome scans are here, so I'll hold back until someone says: "Sure, post it... or at least a link to it!")

Anyway, Bumble, Fashmir, D Akey and Lee: You're making me very happy, again, but then you always do!

I'm still exploring clouds and I'm still far from being satisfied with what I understand about them, but it's a big igniter for my passion to learn! You can expect a whole lot more of those from me very soon! :rolleyes:

Caesar
06-10-2008, 08:28 PM
Personally I believe scans of non virtual work are welcome.
Even more so whenever You can share some secrets You learned and transposed from ArtRage and /or You have also some ArtRage AlterEgo of that work or an AR sketch used to start the real work (that was the original idea I had for AR use before I got lazy and addicted also due to the lack of time with traditional painting tools)! ;):)

Taron
06-11-2008, 11:20 AM
Okidoki then... here's a little pastel collection from the croatia trip and three snippets from after coming home.

The number one thing that artrage nurtured in my mind has been the inhibition or relaxed approach to cover the entire canvas. Although undo had not been an option, artrage trained me well to deal with what I've done, since I hardly use undo within artrage either. Also, the same observations I had made, when doing my artrage still lifes, have proven to hold true in real life paintings as well... and, yes, that can come as a mild surprise!
The other thing I've learned is that there's no perfect blending neither in artrage nor in real life, hahahaha. But they both have different benefits and flaws. I'd almost want to figure out how to write the perfect blender, combining the best of both worlds.

Anyway, here it goes. I made them really tiny, so I can fit them all in here without imposing with that stuff... Hope Andy and crew don't mind?!

Caesar
06-11-2008, 05:26 PM
They are amazingly good Master Taron! You got a really mgic talent! :)
As a curiosity, how many different colours do You have in Your pastels box?

D Akey
06-11-2008, 07:45 PM
Nice work. The only trouble I know of with pastels is that they are hard to fix (seal with fixative). I was always heartbroken over that because I felt I had a real affinity for drawing with a conte crayon and in my mind chalk pastels were an extension of that - but with lots of color.

Was never too crazy about oil pastels though. Waxy, gummy things.

How do you seal them without losing all your subtleties? I heard Degas had a secret something. But I left that direction before I found out how to do it.

And now we have virtually virtual everything. But it's still appealing, the idea of getting powdered color all over everything in the house. I think it's for nostalgia primarily. But it can be great fun.

As to posting other than ArtRage work here, I think Andy once said so long as the artist has posted a decent amount of work done in ArtRage it was fine.

Taron
06-11-2008, 08:13 PM
THANKS CAESAR, it's actually a rather limited palette, but I've done a good deal of blending. In fact, I think I havn't even used the paper color itself well enough, which could have led to an even greater variety of colors with the same set. However, you do need a lot of colors if you really want to get into it with them pastels, because mixing can only get you that far and quickly makes shades seem dirty ... -at least for my humble attempts.

D Akey, yup, I hear ya'... it's a little messy, but not nearly as much as anything else I know that could create such colorful paintings on paper. I was and am tempted to try out prismas or what ever suitable colored pencil types exist. However, my secret for fixative is called Casio Exilim EX Z1050... hahahahahaha. No, honestly, I have no hopes for their long lifes as real paintings, albeit I'm spraying a lot of fixative on them. I noticed, however, that that stuff dulls them down quite a bit, which always makes me add some additional accents with the highlights even after a good fixing. How wise that is, I don't know, but it sure helps to feel happy about them for a little longer. I don't even have proper storage space for them. At the end, they'll only exist as photographs on my hard disk.

The other thing that keeps annoying me is the deeply structured paper. The last pieces I made on the backside of my pastel paper, which is a little less coarse, but it still doesn't let me do the things I'd really want to do. At the end all this says is that I've yet to find my favorite medium, even if pastels do make me very happy right now.

screenpainter
06-13-2008, 02:19 AM
Most amazing clouds I have seen. Loved seeing your natural media work too.:)

Caesar
06-13-2008, 02:28 AM
Dear Taron, another good way, better for detail, less for colour vividness, (although ephemeral too without fixative) would be watercolour and pencils which would become also water-colour like when dampened. ;)
I don't know if may use artistic pastels on it (not oil or wax ones) later on to make colours brighter. :confused:

DoodLS
06-13-2008, 07:12 AM
Hi again Taron,
Great pastel sketches you did there. Why don't you put them on your website in bigger versions? Would like to explore them. How large paper did you use? May I ask if you had time to work directly from real life observation or did you take use of photos to support you also?
I too have been exploring real world media after working with ArtRage. Not as good as yours though. I tried watercolor pencils - very interesting tools, but not as blendable as I would like them to be. Have a thought it might be the paper though. Everything is just so difficult in real life - I still find myself looking for the pick-color and undo buttons on the pen (but they just not there).
DoodLS

Taron
06-14-2008, 07:14 AM
Hey DoodLS, that could be a good idea to put them on my website, but I don't feel that strong about them. It's not a big miss, if people never saw them, I think. However, they are from real life and imagination. Funny enough I did take a ton of digital photos, but so far I only browsed through them for helping my understanding clouds. They somehow acted more like a "knot in a hankerchief", which means the reminded me of what I saw in real life back then.

Tediously trying to capture what I'm looking at applied to the glass and to the view out of my window with the dark green shutter on the right. The rest was by either looking up occasionally to get an idea or completely fictive as a result of what I was seeing during the day. The very first one in the upper left corner was not only the first pastel piece I made on the trip, but also nothing but the sum of things I saw that day. Should've made more of those...
Undo and color picking I surprisingly didn't miss execpt one single tiny time. I hardly use undo in artrage, you know, so that one time must have been exactly one of those rare things I would've undone in AR as well. Color picking I did just a few times ever and only to see if I understand what I'm looking at or whether I could learn something from it. I always concluded that I couldn't learn anything this way. It becomes a chore rather than an exercise. I rather spend the time analysing my perceived feeling for a color by matching this as close as possible... rather to look at the real thing with all my emotions wide open and then zoom into that one sensation this color hits, then I'd try to replicate it percisely...looking back and forth to the subject and my page until I hit it the closest. Then things get relative, but even then it's the same procedure for a while. I know that eventually I will learn to know which color I'm reading, but I'm not there, yet. I have to report, however, that I've gotten a bit better already, eventhough I've done it only 5 times so for (onions, juggler's break, cold lava, pastel glass, although I had done another glass on the computer before, but that was only about highlights).

Ceasar, yeah, that is an option, but it's a tough one, too. Watercolor and pencils are very unforgiving and a different type of wrestle, I think. I happen to have a set of watercolor pencils, hahaha, which I thought I might love when I was 19 (lllloooonnnggg ago), and it's still the same things! Anyway, I may give it another shot, actually... was thinking about it already when I had found them again last week.

Taron
06-14-2008, 11:14 PM
Instantly inspired by the art project thread asking for monsters, I made a little one real quick...

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=16978&d=1213441934

Rowena
06-15-2008, 03:48 AM
Wow that is an amazing piece of monster art Taron!
Im curious to know if you did everything in AR or not?

Incredible work!

D Akey
06-15-2008, 06:59 AM
Boy, do I want to kill it!!!!!!!! Yeesh. . .

Nice work.

Taron
06-15-2008, 07:05 AM
Well, pretty much, I only did some mild contrast change and a very subtle bloom within photoshop, but I didn't have to, I could have well done that in AR as well, but since AR is very bad in saving out JPGs (why ever) and I havn't tried scaling down in a long time in it, I'm still doing the scaling and saving out of photoshop and that makes me do these mild adjustments in it as well. Oh, I made the signature in PS as well, hehehe... just forgot it before.
If you want to see the original AR painting, no problem! ;)

Within AR I've used mostly oil again. The initial jungle is thick paint and the old bumble trick of blending without loading the brush as well as a lot of smearing with an edge to get the leafy ferns and so forth. A tiny bit of charcol for the water area and later to add red accents into the environment. I also used some pencil here and there to poke holes into the top area, which would show more lit background/sky through again. I wanted to let some light in, so to say. Which reminds me that I did forget to add fog and god-rays into the scene, hahaha....jeeez. Maybe I do a version 2?!

The monster then came on a second layer. I used the oil brush to sketch it, actually, which gave me thicker and more dynamic lines to explore an overall feel while drafting it. Eventually I made another layer underneath, and turned the opacity of the sketch far down to like 10%. The sketch was more for a feel than for any accuracy, but I did stay very close to it with the final creature. Again I mostly used oil only, but for the most part with a lot of thinner 50% - 80%. Occasional pencil and only rareliest I used a bit of charcol to breath on some environmental illumination (green).

There you go... a little making-of! THANKS FOR ASKING, Rowena! :)

And now I shall watch soccer... HAHAHA, don't think that wasn't highly unusual for me, but I'm having a blast (Euro2008, today it's greece vs. russia). :D

Caesar
06-15-2008, 07:14 AM
This is an incredible piece of mastery Taron! Thank You also for the indication You gave! I'm looking Euro2008 soccer championship too and cross fingers! :) ;)

pai
06-15-2008, 04:45 PM
I love your pastel collection and the cloud painting. Very beautiful and excellent work. That monster thing...don't come in to my dream.

Taron
06-15-2008, 07:46 PM
Thanks Pai and Ceasar!

Here's another one to speed up the R.E.M times... :cool:
http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17021&d=1213527116

Rowena
06-15-2008, 10:31 PM
Sheeez, and you must now accept the mantle of: Mistress of the Monsters Taron. Steven Spielberg is bound to come knocking at your door (thats if the studio artists aren't ripping your ideas off as we speak, LOL!!!)

Anyway, thats just to say your monsters are up there among the best of em!

And thank you for your explanation. Alas I still don't really understand - tis all a mystery to me...but then I am a bit slow :rolleyes:

I particularly admire the plastic 3D quality you bring to your work. I cant even imagine how you get that glaze to the bodies, and the fine trace pencil lines ...but its very effective!

Excellent work!:D

Taron
06-15-2008, 11:03 PM
Haha, thanks! I've designed, created and animated a bunch of Hollywood monsters, hihi, but almost always directly in 3d. Painting hadn't been my focus back then.

Anyway, plasticity is a combination out of two things, really:

1. Form in perspective
- make sure your shapes work properly in the perspective you're choosing. I normally don't fix my perspective, but imagine it. However, that's most likely the result of having done that for over 20 years.

- break down your model in simple shapes. I'm sure you've heard that a million times, but it's quite amazing. In this case I actually made a small ball for the skull where the brain would sit and cut an elipse in half for the upper and lower snout/jaw pieces. It's one of the rare times where I actually did that, because I wasn't happy with the perspective of my initial sketch. This helped me to repair it.

2. Lighting and highlights
- If you understand the forms you've done, you can begin modeling their volume with proper lighting. The real kicker at the end are the highlights, because they suggest a location for the light source more perfectly than any lighting with shadows could. It truely puts everything in perspective, so to say, even the source of light. It also improves the recognition of the shapes.

You can practice that by using a glossy ball. Study what happens to the highlight, when you move the ball around underneath a lightsource! You could, like I do it, simply imagine where it should be, but that really requires a deep understanding of shape, reflection and light. I'm not too brilliant at it, but I hardly ever try too hard either. However, at some point it becomes second nature, I'm sure...

Always observe and think! Both steps are required to awaken your real powers of creating without reference and even to read your references with greater ease!

Taron
06-16-2008, 10:02 PM
Oh yes, I can only hope the server won't require new rearrangement, because then I'll have to update a lot of my posts, but here's the 3rd monster of my little monster joy ride these days...

Romanski ...
http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17058&d=1213605473

Krondelo
06-20-2008, 12:44 AM
Just looked through all of these, truly fantastic work. I'm blown away by the differen't moods and styles you have produced seemlessly. I just want to say, thanks for the Inspiriation, Im going o go paint now.:D

vincevancough
06-30-2008, 08:41 AM
Such interesting and highly professional paintings, Taron. Really loved the Halloween doodle and the monster - but then again, I've always been drawn to the creepy side of life. :D

Taron
07-15-2008, 09:18 PM
Thanx Vince!

Well, since we have the user gallery I think I will end this thread with a link to it... any objections, just reply here and YELL, hahaha! :D

My Gallery (http://www2.ambientdesign.com/gallery/browseimages.php?c=3&userid=1629)