PDA

View Full Version : Cross Purposes

Bertrude
07-11-2014, 09:20 AM
An upbeat, positive-thinking, not too subtle piece :)

D Akey
07-11-2014, 11:38 AM
Wow! Conan the Barbarian would be very impressed. Powerful and active, and would make a great offering for a 'No Solicitors' sign. Wish I could flash this every time I get another sales call. :mad:

Great pic. Very imposing.

hildee
07-11-2014, 03:54 PM
Brilliant! Love the backlighting especially.

stevemawmv
07-11-2014, 04:15 PM
Whoa!!!! Someones not talking at cross purposes, seems very straight forward and to the point..... I really like...Great job!
Take care,
Steve

copespeak
07-11-2014, 06:00 PM
Not too subtle indeed, but what a ripper! Powerful stuff.

Caesar
07-12-2014, 01:07 AM
Really powerful and awful painting! I'd say it's not a vampire skull, is it? Bravo.

Bertrude
07-12-2014, 07:30 AM
Thanks all.

@ Caesar
I'll take 'awful' any day ;)
You're right, it's not a vampire skull or anything, just a normal human type model. I was thinking about religion and the sheer amount of people that have suffered or died because of it (or more specifically because of the actions of people that claim to follow one or the other and can't tolerate others' points of view or those using it as an excuse to do inexcusable things in the name of a God). History seems to be full of it. I was trying to convey that rather nasty side of human nature and how it destroys our minds, preventing us from perhaps thinking freely.

And of course there's the opposite, more positive, peaceful, kind and helpful side of that view, but I like doing skulls so meh :)

Belvrog
07-12-2014, 08:06 AM
Very dramatic piece. Like its strong contrasts and lighting. Has its impact.

gxhpainter2
07-12-2014, 08:13 AM
Bertrude, I saw this when you posted it and it blew me away. so well done and such a powerful image, funny I had been thinking similar thoughts the past few days as your description of it. can't turn on the new without hearing of religious fundamentalists warring somewhere on the planet , and it seems to be getting worse. Yet we also have people showing tremendous compassion, charity, and empathy as well, just the TV news seems to play up one side.. anyway a really great image... :cool::cool::cool::cool:

pat1940
07-12-2014, 11:32 AM
Wow, bertrude, this is fantastic, the lighting is wild and perfect, great job

AndreaMG
07-12-2014, 09:51 PM
Thanks all.

@ Caesar
I'll take 'awful' any day ;)

Haha, I think he meant "terrific", it surely is :cool:

Caesar
07-15-2014, 02:40 AM
Thank You for Your explanation and I can certainly share Your opinions about any imposing, fanatic ideology, whatever its matrix.
Curiously enough though, on the "western" side of the world, we always "courageously" express those ideas only against a sort of mythological Christianity vision projecting a medieval past to our days (no context is accounted of) and we represent such a horrible human attitude with the Christian symbols, as if, strangely enough, Jesus Christ were a character and the Gospels a ground far better apt and useful to foster violence, oppression, maybe slavery and all the worst sentiments and behaviours than, say, Islam, Hinduism, Communism, Nazism, Capitalism, Imperialsms of all sorts, the Terror in France etc. ... History, if known well and factually enough, doesn't seem to say so, alas, maybe the opposite, and slavery, intolerance, "crusades", "inquisitions" and all the rest aren't at all the monopoly of western moments of religious obscurantism ... we have the best evidence, with the progress in history and especially in this age we live in, that the truth is quite different.

SCP
07-15-2014, 10:25 AM
Awesome mate love it ,so bold and visually packs a punch !:cool:;)

eighty+
07-18-2014, 11:20 AM
Well. Bertrude you did say. The left path gets. Warmer. ;):D:D:D:D:D:D. POZDRAWSKI