PDA

View Full Version : Frank Frazetta's 'The Death Dealer'

Bertrude
06-26-2014, 08:03 AM
This is my first post as I've only been a bit of a lurker until now. So hello all :)

I've previously treated Artrage as a toy of sorts, just mucking about and so on but decided I wanted to make a proper effort to paint something. After some deliberation I decided to copy a piece for an exercise in both painting and using Artrage 4. This is the end result, a respectful (I hope) version of Frank Frazetta's amazing 'The Death Dealer'.

I hope I've done it some justice.

justjean
06-26-2014, 09:32 AM
WOW !!! lovely

gxhpainter2
06-26-2014, 09:36 AM
welcome to the forum Bertrude, you certainly did great justice to this work from Frank Frazetta. so as a first cut using ArtRage you already have a very high skill level.. I think some previous or current formal training is showing through here... hope to see more wonderful works from you soon.:):)

Bertrude
06-26-2014, 09:49 AM
Thank you. Most kind.

Yeah I do have an arty background of sorts but I come from a more Graphic Design-based education. Painting kind of got left behind after college as I found work as a Graphic Designer but it's something I'd like to pursue more these days as I find it more rewarding. I love the flexibility of digital work (undo's and layers are brill) as I've always felt kind of tentative about making marks on paper/canvas etc. I've used Photoshop quite a bit and tried my hand at some digital painting in that over the last few years, but Artrage has a nice unique feel to it and feels just that little bit more natural.

pat1940
06-26-2014, 10:41 AM
Great painting and welcome, hope to see many more

SCP
06-26-2014, 10:48 AM
Fantastic study, you nailed it !!! :cool::cool::cool: One of my Fav paintings by Frank Frazetta. Well done, looking forward to seeing your original work.:cool:;)

hildee
06-26-2014, 05:27 PM
Great rendition of Frazetta's painting! This one happens to be one of my favourites of his, so it's great how you did it justice.

hcwswdj
06-26-2014, 05:34 PM
wow, very game style . very beautifully! light and shadow come to be here . hope to see another paintings of yours!

RedSaucers
06-26-2014, 08:21 PM
Superb!, and welcome to the forum. I am looking forward to what you can do with ArtRage.

Caesar
06-26-2014, 09:28 PM
Welcome! You performed magnificently here with this elegant interpretation of Frazetta. Congrats!

kenmo
06-27-2014, 01:06 AM
Truly a remarkable tribute to Frank Frazetta...

D Akey
06-27-2014, 04:23 AM
Brilliant study! You really did look very carefully at Frazetta's illustration. I agree, it's one of my favorites of his as well. This must have taken you some time changing the settings of the brushes for the various types of strokes. Frazetta is pretty calligraphic in his painting strokes which comes from his having done comic strips for some time before he broke away to become the premier fantasy illustrator of Conan covers and all the other genre books and magazines he did.

This is really quite well done. Bravo!

Bertrude
06-27-2014, 05:50 AM
Thank you all. It's nice to hear such responses. You have a really nice positive forum here :)

@ SCP
I have to admit it's the original stuff I struggle with. I can quite happily have a go at copying something but tell me to come up with something and I kind of crumble. Hopefully my time here will help with that and spur me on. I've noticed the Monsters' Corner thread, so I think I'll have a go at something for that.

@ D Akey
Yep, it took me some time. I worked on it on and off over two weeks and had a reference image up on screen alongside a physical print from an issue of ImagineFX. The colour differences between the two are crazy. It didn't help that app crashed during saving and wiped the file clean :(
I spent a lot of time fiddling with setting in the brushes and still don't quite know what's best to be honest. I'm finding it particularly hard to get a dry rough brush stroke with some length to it with the oil brushes.

markw
06-27-2014, 11:01 AM
Hi Bertrude and welcome to the AR forums
That's a cracking first post!
Like you said in your last post, long dry strokes can be tricky.
In AR you can change the canvas texture of each layer, which when combined with the brush settings, can effect the look of the paint stroke.
The attached is not meant to be a definitive answer but more a starting point perhaps to explore from.

williamK
06-27-2014, 01:24 PM
A testament to your skill and ArtRage as a tool.

Belvrog
06-30-2014, 11:46 AM
Definitely,...very good!! This is among my top favorites of him. What else to say than you did that really really really good.... ok... love it!

Bertrude
06-30-2014, 09:36 PM
Thank you, and cheers for the info about dry brush strokes Mark. That'll be going in a preset :)

stevemawmv
07-04-2014, 10:59 AM
Great first posting, and great job on this fantastic tribute to Frazetta's painting.....definitely my favorite as well, although his
warrior girls, princesses and just plain ass kickin woman artwork are quite eyecatching too....
Take care,
Steve

kenmo
07-08-2014, 05:06 AM
Frank Frazetta is one of the reasons why I became a reader of Robert E Howard's works like Conan the Barbarian...as well as Barry Windsor-Smith. These two are the best Conan artists ever....

D Akey
07-08-2014, 06:28 AM
Hi Bertrude and welcome to the AR forums
That's a cracking first post!
Like you said in your last post, long dry strokes can be tricky.
In AR you can change the canvas texture of each layer, which when combined with the brush settings, can effect the look of the paint stroke.
The attached is not meant to be a definitive answer but more a starting point perhaps to explore from.

Really neat samples to bring forward. Thanks for that.

Still loving the Frazetta copy painting. These marks look like they would work very well.

pai
07-08-2014, 06:29 AM
stunning painting, really love it ! thanks for sharing, i like this artist a lot in the past even before i started Artrage. :)

fraser_paice
07-12-2014, 10:55 AM
Cracking mate!

Alexandra
07-12-2014, 12:29 PM
Wonderful work!

Deathdealer
12-19-2015, 02:59 PM
Very nice!

D Akey
12-19-2015, 09:33 PM
Still loving this tribute to Frazetta. Great chops. You really nailed it.

eighty+
12-23-2015, 11:09 AM
Hi Bertrude I only just seen your Death Dealer its Beautilful and what a great Horse CIAO IVAYA CON DIOS