PDA

View Full Version : Chicken

copespeak
06-17-2014, 10:23 AM
My solo road trip a couple of years ago led me to a farm stay where there were lots of pretty chickens wandering around. I love chickens, the sounds they make and their funny personalities. Sadly, my stay coincided with a big cull of lots of young unwanted rooster wannabes, so I had to block my ears as they were chased down, caught and dispatched. One of the few times where there is not a lot of fun in being a boy! This little girl survived. :)

gxhpainter2
06-17-2014, 10:33 AM
interesting chicken.... I like the transparency of the feathers that build up volume for the body and wings... the use of black to outline important areas and ground the chicken... now all you need is a few chicks running behind!...I think farm animals make for great subjects for paintings/digital prints..:cool:

Enug
06-17-2014, 06:15 PM
I like the way you have depicted the chicken - I don't think I've seen anything like this before - a very interesting way to paint.

copespeak
06-17-2014, 11:06 PM
Thanks Gary and Enug. Yes, it's not the usual way you might portray something, but it is very satisfying.

kenmo
06-18-2014, 12:38 AM
Excellent painting....

Caesar
06-18-2014, 02:03 AM
Not from Kentucky for sure ... rather from the antipode. LOL;) You master perfectly this style, dear Robyn. Like it!

justjean
06-18-2014, 04:18 AM
A lovely survivor, Robin

D Akey
06-18-2014, 07:41 AM
What an 'orrific tale o' tha cocks. . . phew! Enough ta put me off me buffalo wings. . .

Until you grow up, copespeak, lass, I think you should avoid Steve's thread, as Alfred Hitch-cock be sneakin' into yer dreams. . . oh aye. . . So what's an 'en ta do, eh, but live in this wretched cluck up. . .

Really good painting though, once you managed to crop out all the gore and gristle on the killing floor. . . Blimey. . .

copespeak
06-18-2014, 08:17 AM
Ha ha! Mr Akey! She was serenely wandering around with all the other wenches, oblivious to the unfolding disaster elsewhere. Sometimes gals have got to come out on top! :rolleyes:

SCP
06-18-2014, 11:02 AM
Thats a real marker/pencil look you have going with your "Chicken" I like the back story too,eggs were the last thing I stopped eating on my road to be a Vegan.:)
Great work ! :cool::D

copespeak
06-19-2014, 07:40 PM
Thanks SCP. Good on you for being a vegan! I have a close pal who is, but I haven't stretched that far yet. My man wouldn't go vegan, and it doesn't work too well with eggs and milk in the fridge for him.

I still eat eggs, but have been a vegetarian for some years now, eating nothing 'with eyes'. I am very strict as to where I source my eggs, with access to local farm eggs. It's still very sad to see the boys knocked over, and I certainly found it stressful listening to it on my supposedly serene farm stay.

But she was a cute little chookie!

P.S. I love your eye!

Enug
06-19-2014, 09:01 PM
I'm toying with the idea of giving up meat for ethical reasons - already I have cut back - a bit concerned about missing out on important nutrients by not eating meat. How do you overcome this - I'm looking for an easy way not involving spending time in the kitchen making complicated dishes.

In just over three weeks we will be enjoying a European River Cruise so any serious abstainence from meat will have to wait until I'm home again. I'm looking forward to eating my way thru Europe - with others doing the cooking.;)

copespeak
06-20-2014, 12:08 AM
Lentil, beans, and lots of yummy veggies! I make my own curried lentil burgers which are absolutely delish. Fried Rice, home made veggie pizza, dahl and other beautiful Indian food, minestrone, pasta, roast veg, chilli beans, cauliflower cheese, and so much more. I have cheese, eggs, milk (though as much soy as I can). After a while you don't care, and the thought of eating a slice of muscle off a beautiful sentient animal is the last thing you want to do. Restaurants everywhere cater to veg heads, and would on your cruise too..

And you save heaps of money for wine and chocolate, and ..... stuff!

Pep talk over! :) :)

D Akey
06-20-2014, 12:03 PM
Ha ha! Mr Akey! She was serenely wandering around with all the other wenches, oblivious to the unfolding disaster elsewhere. Sometimes gals have got to come out on top! :rolleyes:

Oh aye? I wonder that she did not hear it or in any way show concern for the lads in their death throes. What is more, I'll go so far as to say she may have been the root of this savagery and petitioned the farmer to act out her vile connivance. I suspicion that hen may be one of them what flatly care naught for cocks. <sigh>

copespeak
06-20-2014, 01:10 PM
I couldn't imagine such dark thoughts coming out of a young girl like her Mr Akey!

SCP
06-22-2014, 10:32 AM
Thanks SCP. Good on you for being a vegan! I have a close pal who is, but I haven't stretched that far yet. My man wouldn't go vegan, and it doesn't work too well with eggs and milk in the fridge for him.

I still eat eggs, but have been a vegetarian for some years now, eating nothing 'with eyes'. I am very strict as to where I source my eggs, with access to local farm eggs. It's still very sad to see the boys knocked over, and I certainly found it stressful listening to it on my supposedly serene farm stay.

But she was a cute little chookie!

P.S. I love your eye!

Yes I was a vegetarian for 7 years before following my partner to the totally greenside lol It amazing what you think you can't do,I found when it comes to food most of it is habbit.

I'm toying with the idea of giving up meat for ethical reasons - already I have cut back - a bit concerned about missing out on important nutrients by not eating meat. How do you overcome this - I'm looking for an easy way not involving spending time in the kitchen making complicated dishes.

In just over three weeks we will be enjoying a European River Cruise so any serious abstainence from meat will have to wait until I'm home again. I'm looking forward to eating my way thru Europe - with others doing the cooking.;)

My partner has been Vegan for over 10 years and she is amazingly fit and active she competes in Cycling beating women 1/2 her age !I'm also fitter and healthy since the change. I would be more concerned about the health problems from eating meat not what you miss out on.Do some research ,this might help you start https://www.youtube.com/user/NutritionFactsOrg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5wfMNNr3ak

What ever you decide good luck and good health. :D

Lentil, beans, and lots of yummy veggies! I make my own curried lentil burgers which are absolutely delish. Fried Rice, home made veggie pizza, dahl and other beautiful Indian food, minestrone, pasta, roast veg, chilli beans, cauliflower cheese, and so much more. I have cheese, eggs, milk (though as much soy as I can). After a while you don't care, and the thought of eating a slice of muscle off a beautiful sentient animal is the last thing you want to do. Restaurants everywhere cater to veg heads, and would on your cruise too..

And you save heaps of money for wine and chocolate, and ..... stuff!

Pep talk over! :) :)

Very good points.We find it funny that now it's easy when it comes to meals and cheaper too ! ;):D

nascal
06-22-2014, 05:44 PM
Love the way you paint feather :)
Nice hen :rolleyes:

copespeak
06-22-2014, 07:34 PM
Thank you Nascal!

jibes
06-23-2014, 05:10 AM
I like your style and chicken.

byroncallas
06-24-2014, 07:40 PM