PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Hogan

gxhpainter2
06-01-2014, 05:38 AM
a humble hogan providing calm isolation from the noise of the city

justjean
06-01-2014, 05:44 AM
I like this Gary, it does suggest calm and warmth :)

gxhpainter2
06-01-2014, 06:04 AM
I like this Gary, it does suggest calm and warmth :) thank you justjean...:):)

stevemawmv
06-01-2014, 06:26 AM
Well, was waiting for someone to comment on the title.....
Alright... educate me Gary, have no clue about 'Yellow Hogan' humble or not...
But if this piece was presented without a title, the soft warmth of the colors would
and do give me a calming appreciation of this latest from you dear friend....
Take care,
Steve

Self Update...Navajo home, don't know how I missed it.
Lived in Arizona for six years...Thanks Jibes for jogging
my memory..

jibes
06-01-2014, 08:04 AM
Gary, so much to see in this painting besides the focal point. Love it!
Hogan is the, traditional home of the Navajo people if that's what you meant.

gxhpainter2
06-01-2014, 08:08 AM
Hi Steve sure a Hogan is a Navajo home made with mud/straw bricks and pole roofs with sod or thatched roofs usually one room with a fire pit or fire place usually built away from people and in a canyon or near source of water and shade... the yellow Hogan is a "spiritual" Hogan as yellow is the color of enlightenment and life...I know that is all esoteric but those are a big part of my personal symbology.. as you know a lot of my work has levels of meaning..

copespeak
06-01-2014, 08:27 AM
Wonderful sunny colours Gary. I can see a hint of realism coming in there again. So many layers and small details.

Alexandra
06-01-2014, 01:11 PM
Always exciting, Gary, and with this one a wonderful sense of peace and enlightenment. I love your work.

SCP
06-01-2014, 05:39 PM
Great painting Gary,and I enjoyed reading your explanation of the Hogan,as I have never heard the term.Wonderful ! :cool::)

D Akey
06-02-2014, 12:41 PM
The only Hogan that's got a yellow hair on him is the Hulkster. Actually, it's probably platinum by now. :rolleyes: I too had to look up what a hogan is.

Very very cool graphic. You're right. It seems personal and has a wider range of pastels than I would ordinarily associate with Navajo, which to me is turquoise, silver and black, and maybe some of that venetian red stone I can't recall the name of. But that's very cliche, and Arizona roadside touristy, even though those materials are very cool in combination.

This is refreshing on the other hand where this feels more unexpected and experiential, of perhaps being in a special place while the desert is in bloom - a personal sacred space of sorts. Nice job!

AndreaMG
06-03-2014, 04:57 AM
Fantastic use of colors and graphic style :cool::cool::cool:

gxhpainter2
06-03-2014, 05:21 AM
Wonderful sunny colours Gary. I can see a hint of realism coming in there again. So many layers and small details. thanks Robyn, yep I phase into and out of realism from time to time, current enjoying symbolic landscapes..

Always exciting, Gary, and with this one a wonderful sense of peace and enlightenment. I love your work. thanks Sandy it is reflective of my state of mind at the time for sure.

Great painting Gary,and I enjoyed reading your explanation of the Hogan,as I have never heard the term.Wonderful ! :cool::)

The only Hogan that's got a yellow hair on him is the Hulkster. Actually, it's probably platinum by now. :rolleyes: I too had to look up what a hogan is.

Very very cool graphic. You're right. It seems personal and has a wider range of pastels than I would ordinarily associate with Navajo, which to me is turquoise, silver and black, and maybe some of that venetian red stone I can't recall the name of. But that's very cliche, and Arizona roadside touristy, even though those materials are very cool in combination.

This is refreshing on the other hand where this feels more unexpected and experiential, of perhaps being in a special place while the desert is in bloom - a personal sacred space of sorts. Nice job! Your right DA in that I did not resort to the cliché colors one expects, I use a light more pastel color of early spring and summer, the red sky was a last minute adjustment that I liked.. prior it was blue ( that is the great feature of digital work you can adjust the hue, brightness and contrast of select areas right up to the finished product.:):):):cool:

Fantastic use of colors and graphic style :cool::cool::cool: Thanks Andrea I pushed the colors for a landscape pretty far in this but I was happy with the result in the end. :cool::cool:

Caesar
06-03-2014, 10:05 PM
This is a masterpiece IMO! Love it whatever it may represent or mean or not refer to anything specific. Superlative one!

kenmo
06-03-2014, 11:18 PM
You've nicely articulated your thoughts through this painting..... Gary, you have another winner....:cool::cool::cool:

Marilyn Anne
06-04-2014, 02:23 AM
You have so many interesting things going on in different parts of the picture. Little individual paintings in their own right. Areas of color and story going on. Fascinating!

gxhpainter2
06-04-2014, 03:18 AM
This is a masterpiece IMO! Love it whatever it may represent or mean or not refer to anything specific. Superlative one!thank you dear friend for the wonderful comment !.:):)

You've nicely articulated your thoughts through this painting..... Gary, you have another winner....:cool::cool::cool: thank you kenmo ..:cool::)

You have so many interesting things going on in different parts of the picture. Little individual paintings in their own right. Areas of color and story going on. Fascinating! why thank you very much Marilyn Anne... I like to have many areas that you can get lost in , as the painting is viewed in different lights different areas come out to play with the viewer...:cool: