PDA

View Full Version : Need help finding touch-screen tablet/laptop

rscottfree
05-29-2014, 10:14 AM
I'm having trouble finding an affordable touch-screen tablet or convertible laptop (that can go into tablet mode), so I thought I would throw it out to the group here to see what your experience has been and if you have any recommendations.

My requirements:

1) I'm not looking for top of the line anything, unless it's old top of the line and inexpensive :)
2) It has to run the desktop version of ArtRage 4. I'm unwavering on this point :)
3) Touch-screen laptops are fine if they are the convertible, 2-1 kind where the screen can flip or swivel or detach to make a tablet-like experience.
4) I don't need wacom or n-trig pen support--just regular capacitive touch screen is fine so I can paint with my finger or dumb stylus.
5) I would like a 12 inch screen or bigger--something comfortable enough to run the desktop version of ArtRage.
6) A nice screen. If I could splurge in one area it would be this. Sharper, brighter, etc.

I'm looking at new computers in the medium to low-end spectrum of prices as well as older computers. Going with an older computer that works well with ArtRage and meets my requirements seems to be the best bet, but I don't have any experience with any of them. I've looked at old Lenovo Thinkpad X series tablets, older Sony laptops/convertibles, and some Toshiba tablets as well.

Anybody have experience with something like this and could share your thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks!

rscottfree
05-29-2014, 01:51 PM
Any X201 tablet users out there willing to share your experience with using it with ArtRage? If so, do you have the multi-touch version?

rscottfree
05-30-2014, 03:21 AM
Anyone have any experience with capacitive touch monitors and ArtRage?

rscottfree
06-08-2014, 04:19 PM
Hey rscottfree--the x201 tablet works great with ArtRage. You should be able to do 18x12 inch, 300dpi canvases with no problem, and 200% size oil brush with no lag. 300% you might see some lag. Also, the wacom digitizer might not be very accurate around the edges of the screen. Also, in quiet spaces you might notice a high-pitched noise coming from the fan port that will absolutely drive you crazy. But you get what you pay for, right? Other than that, it's a great convertible laptop and you can pick them up pretty cheap on ebay. Have fun artraging!

sincerely yours,
rscottfree

p.s. No really, that high-pitched noise will literally drive you crazy. Take some of that money you saved by buying cheap crap on ebay and get yourself some noise canceling earphones.

hildee
06-10-2014, 06:26 PM
Lol am I seeing double or are you having a conversation with yourself? :D Sorry I can't help with this :)

Enug
06-10-2014, 07:44 PM
Anyone have any experience with capacitive touch monitors and ArtRage?

I didn't answer your first post as I don't use a tablet computer however, I see you have also added the above question/post. I have an All-in-One 23" touchscreen computer (2nd monitor also connected but not touchscreen) - and ArtRage works fine on that with an ordinary mesh tipped stylus and also with my brush stylus. Even so I don't use ArtRage that way as I prefer my Wacom tablet.