PDA

View Full Version : Favorite artists

kenmo
05-28-2014, 04:10 AM
I recently chanced upon the art of Edward Lamson Henry who paints about early American life. I find the theme and his style very appealing...

His bio on wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Lamson_Henry

Some of his paintings via a google search....
https://www.google.ca/search?q=edward+lamson+henry+biography&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=96OEU5SAA6fC8QGH-4CYBg&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1920&bih=951

justjean
05-28-2014, 05:03 AM
Ken, thanks for the link, love how each of his paintings tells a story :D

kenmo
05-30-2014, 05:13 AM
Cartoonist Will Eisner is another favorite of mine.

Wiki on Will Eisner -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_Eisner

Webpage -- http://www.willeisner.com/gallery

A google search of his works...

https://www.google.ca/search?q=will+eisner&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=yVuHU9CoJ6af8QHP5oGYCA&sqi=2&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1920&bih=951

Kindly feel free to post any links to your favorite artists or any you find interesting or inspirational....

Cheers

Ken

D Akey
06-01-2014, 03:30 AM
Fantastic. Thanks.

copespeak
06-01-2014, 09:47 AM
Will Eisner's works has that lovely patina of age on them that I really love, and that black and white is so well done.

Here's a link to Australian (poster) artist Ken Taylor, whose works I worship. I wish I had the patience for all those clean lines.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=ken+taylor&client=firefox-a&hs=iBX&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=2j6KU5W5IYP2kQWvxYCgBQ&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1090&bih=876#channel=sb&q=ken+taylor+artist&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch

Gms9810
06-01-2014, 01:26 PM
I'd have to say my favorite is Ver Meer. There is another guy I like as much, I posted one of his paintings on facebook recently but I can't remember his name. Eugene something.

kenmo
06-03-2014, 12:27 AM
Ver Meer - wasn't the Milk Maid one of the more famous paintings by this Dutch Painter?

copespeak
06-03-2014, 12:51 AM
Johannes Vermeer, the 17th Century Dutch painter, best known for painting 'Girl with a Pearl Earring'. I love his work.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=vermeer&client=firefox-a&hs=2k7&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=92OMU9u2FISskAWx9YHADQ&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=640&dpr=1

kenmo
06-03-2014, 05:24 AM
Yup...that's the artist I was thinking about. Here's a link to his 'Milk Maid' painting....

http://www.essentialvermeer.com/catalogue/milkmaid.html#.U4ylAXZZh8E

copespeak
06-03-2014, 09:29 AM
Just so beautiful!

Gms9810
06-03-2014, 02:16 PM
It was a comfort to me to find out that he used a device like a camera obscura to project images on his canvas so he could trace outlines.

D Akey
06-03-2014, 06:40 PM
Of course professional artists used professional tools. . . (not saying this because of you, George, but because a lot of people poo poo the idea that artists did and do and always have.) I don't know if you saw Steven B's post some months back where he linked to David Hockney's documentary giving evidence that they in fact did use these devices and lenses were a guarded trade secret. I had not seen it prior and it was one of my favorite art documentaries I have ever seen, because it took my suspicion a lot farther than I thought it could be shown to have been the case where many or most artists used lenses (and also camera obscura). Very well put together, and great sleuthing.

It's also funny (odd and interesting) that the same kind of controversy has been happening since at least the Renaissance where Alberti (I think) had come up with, or documented a process wherein artists could use grids positioned like a screen between the artist and model with a corresponding grid on the paper for dividing up figures into segments so that it was a way to organize the sections in digestible ways for transferal. And it was also very useful for perspective of all kinds. I vaguely recall he was an architect as well.

I once had been speaking to an illustrator teacher of mine who later became a fine artist about just that: Is it fair to use projectors? And he said sure, he could always draw the old fashioned way and plot it out and so on, but it was slower so why bother. He was a realistic painter, as opposed to someone expressionistic or someone with a lot of stylization to his images so it was reasonable to do it that way. I'll guarantee his clients only cared about the final art, whether it showed their product in the best light or not. And I saw this same artist draw without his projector in life drawing classes and he was sensational. An amazing draftsman. All those years drawing, even from projectors, teach us and hone our way of looking and composing and editing. Plus, skill is skill and the better you are as a regular artist without the assists, the more likely you are to be able to bridge any gaps in images you are joining -- changing the angles to suit what you're trying to do, etc etc.

Commercial art is a business. And all those portrait artists, and artists who did art for clients or cities, despite the artist's special individual technique and flair, were in fact commercial artists -- Michelangelo, Vermeer, Rembrandt. . . And owing to the level of competition, I think that's where artists did everything they could to gain an edge to win commissions or do a better job -- and even to standardize the product in the context of a studio with assistants of varying levels of skill.

These things exist in the world. So clearly the game has changed away from strict replication, though there will be those who love that, which is fine. But beyond that, when it's not so hard to copy a photograph because of mechanical aids that pretty much hand it to us on a silver platter, then it has to go on to that which moves image making to the next level -- the voice, what is being said, what people choose to include in the image, how the bits relate, color choices, etc -- things that take it out of the realm of straight photography. Creating things that were never seen before is a very viable way for a realist to go. Not the only way, but the artist probably has to push it to where there's some artistry. And I still maintain it's all about the individual's voice. But sure -- use photography as a tool. You betcha!

---- Having said all that, I also know that one of the things that professional comic book artists like Eisner can do is draw convincingly out of their heads. But they do it and do it and do it until they think in those terms. But a lot of them also have relied on models too when needed. And I doubt they lost any sleep over considering it cheating. It boils down to what is practical and how can you get what you want on the page. Ideally it would be out of one's imagination. But until that time, you're copying, whether photographs or drawings done by the guy you're trying to draw like. It's a developed skill.

kenmo
06-04-2014, 01:06 AM
D Akey - great post with some good insight...

Comic and graphic book artist Brian Haberlin uses 3D in the creation of his art.

http://poser.smithmicro.com/stories/BrianHaberlin.html

How Brian used Poser to create his graphic novel Anomaly...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heSn6iVB__M

Gms9810
06-04-2014, 01:02 PM
I'm looking for a used projector now for that purpose, and I won't feel any guilt if and when I find one. I'm torn between realistic and impressionistic style. When I first joined people asked me what I wanted to draw. Impressionism is fun, but I'm really interested in realistic painting. The problem, for now, is that I don't have the talent. I've only accomplished it twice so far. Of all the people I've seen on youtube This guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLxYo5TmyO8 is the one that impresses me the most. I WANT to be one but can only barely manage the other. All I have now is the knowledge that I'm getting better. I've posted a lot on Facebook recently that I haven't posted here. Even Robyn was impressed with some of them. I'm sketching everything I can find, my little sketchbook is full of the dopiest images. I've been using a lot of graphite sticks and charcoal lately, trying some oils, some acrylics, and I got a set of chalk sticks. I also have a large assortment of markers, a set of set prismacolors and a set of hard ones. I'm trying everything. I've also decided, regardless of what 'traditional' artists say, digital art is a medium in it's own right. BTW, I saw Steve B's post and was impressed by it.
So in a nutshell, I'm trying everything I can as many ways as I can and I'll do what works best. The only rules I follow re the ones regarding composition. So spank my but and call me Alice.

D Akey
06-04-2014, 03:58 PM
"Talent" is as precise as the word "stuff". It's a generic catch all that says it's totally easy or you have to work for it depending on whether you have it or not. If you think you have no talent, but Art still pulls you like a passion, why is talent that important? Art technique can be mastered fairly mechanically. And you're going to go after it because you love it which also should take all the negative comparisons out of it, of having the right stuff or not.

That drive will run circles around talent as a vehicle. And sooner or later talent pales compared with monster skill. And anybody with any memory cells in their head can develop skill because 90 percent or more of Art is formulaic. If it isn't at the start it soon becomes that way once the artist develops a go-to technique, which is not a bad thing, despite what all the books on genius artists say. That's just PR to sell paintings anyway.

So when that happens, guess what, you've taken mechanical issues out of the equation because you are then doing good looking work and it then becomes about what you put onto the canvas. . . same as where the computer can take people really fast presently. The art is going to be in your imagination and creativity at that point and that has less to do with talent than people may care to think. What do you have in your head that you want to get out onto canvas? If you have developed your artistic method, you ought to be able to get what you want down fairly handily. Again, little to do with talent.

The creative kicks and inspirations quite often come in mid-flight, where suddenly you find yourself doing something better than you had before, and you may have no idea from whence it came, but you don't want to get in the way of it. That happens from merely showing up and doing the work. And if your skills are not so good it will blow your mind anyway. And if your skills are good, the results could well blow your mind and everybody else's. Not an issue of talent per say.

If you get the skills down, the most trivial notion of something to paint could be a masterwork.

Go man go!

Gms9810
06-04-2014, 04:44 PM
That's a bit hard to grab onto with my brain full of mind altering drugs so I'll re read it tomorrow. One thing that I did stand out was "where suddenly you find yourself doing something better than you had before, and you may have no idea from whence it came, but you don't want to get in the way of it.. I've noticed that happening a lot lately. I sometimes won't open AR for a week or two then when I do, something that was really hard to do before is suddenly very easy. Weird but fun.

Gms9810
06-04-2014, 04:47 PM
By the way... STUFF is an official country folks word. If I say it to someone here they know just what I mean, that being, my collection of totally useless junk, of which we all have.

hildee
06-04-2014, 04:52 PM
There is another guy I like as much, I posted one of his paintings on facebook recently but I can't remember his name. Eugene something.

Eugene von Guérard, Gms? He's one of my favourites too, love his Australian paintings.

Gms9810
06-04-2014, 05:02 PM
Not sure, Hildee, It was a French sounding name. Anyway, along the lines of our conversation I submit this: http://www.webandtime.com/photorealistic-painting

kenmo
06-05-2014, 01:11 AM
Hal Foster who created the Prince Valiant daily comic strip series that appeared in many newspapers across the globe and who also did a lot of work on the daily Edgar Rice Burroughs's Tarzan strip is one of my heroes. It is interesting to note he was born in my home of Halifax, Nova Scotia (Canada) and many locals are not even aware of this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hal_Foster

Example of some of his art work...

https://www.google.ca/search?q=hal+foster&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=gwqPU8yrLNiVqAbJnILIDA&sqi=2&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1386&bih=892#q=hal+foster+art&tbm=isch

Gms9810
06-11-2014, 01:49 PM
I remembered what I couldn't remember before. His name was Eugene Von Blass. He painted this:
81423[/ATTACH [ATTACH=CONFIG]81424 81425
Not being able to remember was driving me crazier

kenmo
06-12-2014, 05:46 AM
Very nice...many thanks for sharing....

stevemawmv
06-13-2014, 08:06 AM
Ken, Great thread by the way......

I always admired the american urban life being portrayed in Edward Hopper paintings,
pensive and enigmatic in his interpretation of the times he lived in, yet one can see and
associate some of those interpretations of the past today...and sometimes in our
own lifes as well.....His 'in the county and small town' portrayals offered a sense of calm, almost
soothing perception of something or somewhere to escape to, for him or a suggestion for all
of us.

Robert Hughes wrote , Hopper..."offers slices of an insoluble life, moments in a narrative that can have no closure"
Others had different opinions in they're critiques, but the test of time, at least to me has proven they're writings to be meaningless.

I have many more artist that I enjoy, but sense Ken started this thread with 'American life'....Hopper came to mind.

I have really enjoyed reading this great thread, and looking up everyone's 'Favs'...
Take care all,
Steve

D Akey
06-13-2014, 09:15 AM
Great artist, George. I would see this kind of painting infrequently, so I thought there was only a few of them painted in this style, but when I visited Paris and took in the museums, there was a lively movement for this kind of realism. It was the classical academic style that the French Académie des Beaux-Arts (the group wanting to keep the standards of art up on a certain realistic level) was plugging, and that the Impressionists were rejecting mostly I think because they were being rejected (a political thing). I may have my details wrong but at the time there was definite tension. They may have loosened their criteria after these avant-garde maverick styles were bringing so much notoriety to France. And there was no holding things back after a point.

But Paris is filled with this kind of painting and it would probably blow your mind as it did mine. I mean these reductions tighten up when reduced and everything looks really perfect -- well when full size, many if not all of them were as good as the reduction. Gorgeous technique. I loved it all the more because I was an illustrator and painting like this was right up my alley. And these guys represented to me the best of the best for what they were doing.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Academie+Beaus+Arts

D Akey
06-13-2014, 09:34 AM
Steve, Hopper was a very intriguing painter of 'moments'. I was hooked by him when I first started studying Art (and not just playing around with it). I was lucky enough to have a teacher who thought highly of him. So I checked him out. I was most intrigued by his having taken on the lifestyle he had -- the life of a painter, no matter what or where, intrinsically interesting or not, he painted.

I have to say I really envy you guys who are just sort of getting into all this with a fresh appetite. It's one of the greatest relaxed treasure hunts available by and to man. And nowadays with the internet it's all there to see and what makes it all the more civilized, it's organized to boot. I still forage around to see what's out there and even though I do it quite a bit, I still find new stuff that excites me all the time.

It's like sailing along the art coast line rather like navigating the fiords in Norway, only to find they are actually fractals like the old Mandelbrot set, and the closer you get to the shore, the more there is yet at the same distance away. Kaleidoscopic. And the only way to really land your vessel is to paint or draw your own harbor into tangible being as done by the famous explorer, Cadmium the Red who was more interested in the brush and pencil than the torch and sword.

Booty for EVERYBODY!!!!!!!!!!!

kenmo
06-14-2014, 12:18 AM
One of my most favorite automotive (cars & hot rods) artist is Tom Fitz. His work is frequently in many of the Americanhot rod magazines. I just love his loose style of painting....

His website...
http://www.fritzart.com/

Some of his art work
Hot Rods
http://www.fritzart.com/gallery.php?which=hot_rod_originals

Other paintings
http://www.fritzart.com/gallery.php?which=other_artwork

If I could ever achieve 1/10 of his skill I would consider myself fortunate...

D Akey
06-14-2014, 05:10 AM
Well, he definitely has a head start in front of you. The good news is you can copy his ideas and tricks, so he's like the lead car in the race and you're trailing, letting him run before making your move.

Listen, you'll do very well at it, I've no doubt. His style is straight forward, realistic. All those things he's doing are very learn-able, and not that over the top with interpretations. He paints like an illustrator (a good thing, speaking as an illustrator). Many illustrators went into gallery work when the illustration market dried up. There's always a market for well painted images of things we hold dear. Clearly he's done lots of study and practice and has absorbed a lot of other people's chops. It's the way it all works that we learn from observation, getting ideas from this artist and that. And your move into 3D has the potential to rocket you into keeping pace with him and people who paint like that. Only your stuff may take on a different look as a result of the use of 3D rendering.

He's good at composition, but he's going with tried and true compositions. He's using them probably because they continue to work as a way to really show off the lines on a vehicle and imply speed and all that. It makes then sizzle.

So based on where your interests at this point in time seem to be, I would recommend, if you're doing cars, copying his staging and exploring how poses and perspective really make transportation vehicles dynamic and exciting. After that, there are lots of little painter's tricks that play to that effect. He's good at what he does, for sure. As such, he's a good one to begin pulling from for your own work.

Go Kenmo Go Go Go!!!!

Gms9810
06-14-2014, 10:48 AM
While we're on the topic, another of my favorites is Mark Crilley: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MDJAf_Be2M. He mainly does Manga and I'm not into that but when he does 'serious' art he's awesome.

hildee
06-14-2014, 11:29 AM
I remembered what I couldn't remember before. His name was Eugene Von Blass. He painted this:
Not being able to remember was driving me crazier

Oh thanks gms, I was wondering too after I suggested Eugene von Guérard! Close by one word lol. Wow what a great painter von Blaas is but all 3 paintings are different in style. Interesting.

Edit: Mark Crilley is an amazing artist, and friendly too. He's replied to a few of my comments - always makes a difference when they're "present".

kenmo
06-18-2014, 06:23 AM
Being a bit of a comic book fan I've always enjoyed the short lived comic book, "The Rocketeer" and it was mostly because of the art by Dave Stevens. I especially loved the way Dave drew The Rocketeer's girlfriend "Betty" who was influenced by the great pinup queen "Bettie Page".... Sadly Dave passed away at an early age from from hairy cell leukemia in 2008 at the age of 53...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/ae/Rocketeerprint.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Stevens#mediaviewer/File:BettieThumbFairUse.jpg

http://media-cache-cd0.pinimg.com/736x/2b/6a/29/2b6a29b7806fcbc17cf3d41df4576a22.jpg

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/originals/e6/7e/73/e67e73ac88490e4f640d8c1c5dc8f2aa.jpg

http://media-cache-cd0.pinimg.com/736x/34/cb/11/34cb117b4d310338e74462b6b7520853.jpg

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/0d/64/d8/0d64d8460141db8a25484de5cd3959a6.jpg

Wiki on Dave Stevens - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Stevens#Death_and_legacy

Wiki on The Rocketeer - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocketeer

Authorized website for his art - http://www.davestevens.com/

D Akey
06-18-2014, 08:33 AM
I did not know Dave Stevens passed away. Sorry to hear that. Really good work. Iconic.

Gms9810
06-18-2014, 03:54 PM
I want some space vixens.

D Akey
06-18-2014, 04:17 PM
I want some space vixens.

Go get you some, bubba!

kenmo
06-19-2014, 06:07 AM
Another artist I really enjoy, especially his hot rod stuff is Robert Williams (aka Robt Williams). Williams is also known for his lowbrow and underground comic book work.

Wiki on Robert Williams -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Williams_(artist)

Online gallery but not much of his hot rod stuff in this gallery -- http://www.robtwilliamsstudio.com/Gallery-Robert-Williams.html

Book at Amazon on his hot rod art. I actualy have this book -- http://www.amazon.ca/The-Hot-World-Robt-Williams/dp/0760326606

Google search for his hot rod art -- https://www.google.ca/search?q=robt+williams+hot+rod+art&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=pcWhU76rKqfe8AGQ1IDwCQ&ved=0CCYQsAQ&biw=1920&bih=989#facrc=_&imgrc=s1JVGKZ_IlVjYM%253A%3BD5w5Cptxkxk__M%3Bhttp% 253A%252F%252Fuploads3.wikiart.org%252Fimages%252F robert-williams%252Fhot-rod-race-1976.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.wikiart.org%252F en%252Frobert-williams%252Fhot-rod-race-1976%3B1440%3B902

http://uploads3.wikiart.org/images/robert-williams/hot-rod-race-1976.jpg

http://image.hotrod.com/f/thehistoryof/retrospective/hrdp_9812_robert_williams_hot_rod_artist/34786788/hrdp_9812_01_o%2Brobert_williams_hot_rod_artist%2B art_pieces.jpg

http://image.hotrod.com/f/thehistoryof/retrospective/hrdp_9812_robert_williams_hot_rod_artist/34786827/hrdp_9812_04_o%2Brobert_williams_hot_rod_artist%2B art_pieces.jpg

kenmo
06-25-2014, 02:50 AM
A poster at Renderosity mentioned artist Maxfield Parrish. This is an American artist who was unknown to me. Googling I found his bio on wiki -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxfield_Parrish

And some of his prints which are for sale online...
http://www.art.com/gallery/id--a34/maxfield-parrish-posters.htm

http://www.allposters.com/-st/Maxfield-Parrish-Posters_c27217_.htm

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7a/Dinky_Bird_by_Maxfield_Parrish,_1904.jpg

http://home.mindspring.com/~fairvale/images/Parrish.jpeg

D Akey
06-25-2014, 04:26 AM
Maxfield Parish lived to 96? Wow. In passing I had read that he had TB and typhoid fever in his lifetime. Strong constitution I would say.

Well, I just read that Norman Rockwell called him his hero.

I voraciously gobbled up their work when I was an art student. Couldn't get enough or too close. What a time and what a world they both created. Always my heroes as well, both of them for different reasons. But the core thing aside from amazing technique, is they both created compelling moments. They were both storytellers with their work, creating visions we would never have seen but wish we could have. They were miles beyond the commonplace.

It always amazed me that when going to art school that there were plenty of students who really didn't like Norman Rockwell. I thought they were nuts. Heh. That's like being in a music school saying you hated Glenn Miller. Where's the sense in that since it was most unlikely people could have the same kind of path as they had no matter how good. That world was gone. In their context they were brilliant. And they have definitely stood the test of time.

I must say I never heard anyone say anything negative about Parrish though.

Looks like you like the storytellers as well, Kenmo. Me too.

kenmo
06-27-2014, 12:47 AM
Norman Rockwell, Frank Frazetta, Barry Windsor-Smith and Tom Fitz are my most favorite artists...

I loved Barry Windsor-Smith's work on the early Marvel Comic's "Conan the Barbarian" series in the early 1970's... I was a very big comic book reader & fan when I was a youth.

Barry Windsor-Smith's bio on wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Windsor-Smith

Barry's webpage where he has prints, posters, books for sale...
http://barrywindsor-smith.com/

http://barrywindsor-smith.com/studio/biosaga1a.jpg

http://barrywindsor-smith.com/studio/biosaga4.jpg

http://barrywindsor-smith.com/story-teller/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/bws_poetry_news.jpg

D Akey
06-27-2014, 08:34 AM
Nice stuff Kenmo! I rarely read comics after I started seeing an overabundance of really weak visuals. And I was all about the visuals of a certain ilk -- the classic stuff I would say.

These samples look like stuff I could very much enjoy perusing. Wonderful style.

My long ago roommate from when I was an art student found a ton of old Creepy, Eerie and Vampirella comics being just plain thrown out. He took what he wanted and gave me whatever I wanted from the left-overs. I still have about 5 issues from that batch. I would never part willingly with them. The stories were the usual fare for the genre, but the visuals were first rate.

Prior to that when I was a lad, I enjoyed DC and Marvel superheroes and that whole corner of the spectrum. And I was also mad for Mad Magazine. I loved the humor but Mort Drucker was a god IMHO. I could never figure out how he nailed the caricatures of the actors so well, and his staging was phenomenal as well. He was the best of the best again IMHO. Entertaining, clever and a prolific master of his craft.

https://www.google.com/search?q=mort+drucker+art&hl=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=aXWsU9_xI-X58AGj04DADw&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=817&bih=447

kenmo
07-11-2014, 01:42 AM
In a recent edition of the Western Art Collector magazine http://www.westernartcollector.com/ there was a small write up on artist Howard Terpning and I immediately loved his style...
Apparently his oil painting "Search for the Renegades" recently sold for $1.5 million dollars...

http://www.artifactsgallery.com/art.asp?!=A&ID=637

Howard Terpning

Howard Terpning is one of the most lauded painters of Western art. Over his lifetime he’s received the highest awards in the field, including the National Academy of Western Art’s Prix de West, the Hubbard Art Award for Excellence, the Lifetime Achievement Award from the Autry National Center, and 2005 Masters of the American West Thomas Moran Memorial Award and countless others. He’s an Emeritus member of the Cowboy Artists of America with over forty-one awards from that organization alone. Quite simply, he’s a living master of Western art.

Born in Illinois and educated at the Chicago Academy of Fine Arts and the American Academy of Art, Terpning first gained attention with his dramatic movie illustrations for such classic films as The Sound of Music, Dr. Zhivago and the re-issue of Gone with the Wind. His love of the West and Native American traditions guided his direction as he pursued a fine art career. “The American Indian fascinates me,” says Terpning. “The more I study them, the more intrigued I become. There’s always another story waiting to be told.”

Items from Terpning’s own extensive collection of Indian artifacts often appear in his paintings. His historical accuracy and technical prowess form the firm foundation for his style, earning respect from fellow artists, collectors and the native peoples he depicts.

Original Howard Terpning oil paintings now command top prices at Western auctions. Search for the Renegades, an oil from 1981, recently sold for $1.5 million dollars. Limited edition giclees and lithographs by Terpning often sell out at the publisher as soon as they're released.

“I think it’s important to tell the story of the Plains Indians because their history is our history…part of our heritage,” says the artist. “I feel privileged to be one of their storytellers.”

http://www.artifactsgallery.com/art/20084.jpg

http://www.artifactsgallery.com/art/14621.jpg

http://www.artifactsgallery.com/art/17434.jpg

D Akey
07-11-2014, 04:47 AM
Super impressive. There's something about those painters who were in the live action movies. I don't know whether they are all super good before they get hired, or if there is something about working in the movies as a production illustrator that helps the artist focus doing copious amounts of drawings and paintings, and thereafter rise to the challenge. But those guys always seem to have something extra.

The artist you just featured is brilliant! Never heard of him before, but I know lots of professional illustrators went over to doing Southwest Art because that was fertile ground as there were many collectors of realistic art, and they had money from oil or ranching or whatever. Also it was one of the hold outs for realistic storytelling for artists.

Speaking of artists who had worked for the movie studios, there was one old guy way back when who was also a teacher. But I think he had at one point worked for 20th Century Fox (? or one of the big studios). He traveled throughout Europe with a bunch of small watercolor sketchbooks (5x7" or so) and a puny 5 color tin of cake watercolors and a really dinky brush. And he would sketch in watercolor as freely as people take snapshots. These sketchbooks were the most amazing things I had ever seen. Each and every page was filled with spontaneous, original, gorgeous watercolors -- fishing villages and architecture with some people tossed into the mix, but when they did they merely populated the landscapes.

I'm sorry to say I was not able to find samples of his sketchbooks in my quick search online, but I maybe could if I kept at it. I was really gratified to know that the magazine American Artist ran a spread on him that featured those sketch books. I couldn't tell you how long ago it ran, but I had to dig very deep at the time in my impoverished artist days to buy it. But I did and have it somewhere. If I come across it, I'll upload a scan (that is if they look as good as I recall. I have a different eye now, but I recall they were the most astonishing things I had ever seen.)

Anyway, his name was Joe Henninger. Passed away in 1999. I wouldn't have known that unless I was searching and racking my brain to remember his name (so thanks for the prompt). One thing in particular I remember about him is that he was legend. He had traveled the world and lived with a tribe of natives in Africa and was initiated into their tribe. He must have had those huge ear piercings because when I met him and was looking over those sketch books, he had nothing in his ears, but his lobes were totally stretched and hung down an extra inch or so like Silly Putty -- complete with holes where the over-sized ornaments had been placed, probably upon his induction to the tribe. A wonderful and supportive guy -- and it was nice to see he taught most of his life. I forever wished he had been teaching when I was a student.

Anyway, here is a link to stuff of his I never saw before. But this is his. No action story telling per say as he was about landscapes. But he himself was a bit of an action story, by illustration standards. He certainly got away from being tied to the desk.

But if you saw his originals you would certainly be impressed with his skill and watercolor technique. And a helluva kind soul.

http://www.americanlegacygallery.com/artistPage.php?aid=55&cid=1

copespeak
07-11-2014, 10:10 AM
I'm really loving this thread Kenmo! I coming back to read it all more carefully when I have time. Some fabulous work you have there.

kenmo
07-29-2014, 01:25 AM
Another artist who should inspire some of you is Frederic Edwin Church who was a "central figure in the Hudson River School of American landscape painters"...

Wiki : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederic_Edwin_Church

Cheers and please post your favorite artists to this thread...

Kenmo

kenmo
11-06-2014, 02:41 AM
I'm also a fan of comic book and graphic novel writer/artist Paul Chadwick who is best known for his Darkhorse Comics work on "Concrete"...

http://paulchadwick.net/gallery.html

http://www.lambiek.net/artists/c/chadwick_paul.htm

http://www.paulchadwick.net/images/00.jpg

http://cdn.comicartfans.com/Images/Category_40970/subcat_85319/Chadwick_new.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-GORqdooE5LI/T1gYKyIboJI/AAAAAAAAA_I/fe6OkJ7uQPc/s1600/Concrete.jpg

kenmo
11-13-2014, 09:00 AM
during some lunch time surfing at work I stumbled upon French artist Jean-Léon Gérôme whom I was not familiar with. I must say I really enjoyed viewing his paintings. Apparently he was also a sculptor.

Form his wiki...

Jean-Léon Gérôme (11 May 1824 – 10 January 1904) was a French painter and sculptor in the style now known as Academicism. The range of his oeuvre included historical painting, Greek mythology, Orientalism, portraits and other subjects, bringing the Academic painting tradition to an artistic climax. He is considered one of the most important painters from this academic period, and in addition to being a painter, he was also a teacher with a long list of students.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-L%C3%A9on_G%C3%A9r%C3%B4me

Examples of his paintings...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1c/Jean-L%C3%A9on_G%C3%A9r%C3%B4me_007.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b1/Jean-L%C3%A9on_G%C3%A9r%C3%B4me_-_Diogenes_-_Walters_37131.jpg

http://allart.biz/up/photos/album/G/Jean_Leon_Gerome/jean_leon_gerome_14_an_arab_caravan_outside_a_fort ified_town_egypt.jpg

kenmo
12-12-2014, 04:14 AM
I recently came across the work of Chuck Pinson who works in traditional media and thought I should share his online gallery with my fellow friends here...

http://www.chuckpinson.com/

Rachelle
01-29-2015, 08:31 PM
:) Cool thread, ken :)

I'll visit again, so much stuff to discover!

lol D Akey, you like them story tellers... I do too...
And I quite like your story telling:rolleyes:.

D Akey
01-30-2015, 11:29 PM
:) Cool thread, ken :)

I'll visit again, so much stuff to discover!

lol D Akey, you like them story tellers... I do too...
And I quite like your story telling:rolleyes:.

Well, it's merely my recounting of some really amazing artists. They carry the stories. Speaking of which, I think since I posted that about Joe Henninger earlier in this thread, they put up (or maybe I just found) a really nice Wiki on him. And there is a sample of a page of watercolors. . . I think they're on a single sheet which would make them very small indeed and perhaps he did them in his studio. Anyway, these were done in 1986 which was quite a while after I had met him, and my recollection is that they were generally like the ones shown. Looking at those postage stamp size pics really doesn't do them justice. But it's better than nothing to get the concept of what he did. Also he worked for several different studios, none of which was 20th Century Fox, heh, so I got that detail wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Morgan_Henninger

Gms9810
02-02-2015, 07:07 AM
I recently remembered a picture on my best friend's mom's wall (back in the 60s and 70s) that I really liked by a guy named Paul Detlefsen. I liked the brilliance of color and the fine etails: https://www.google.com/search?safe=off&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1920&bih=834&q=Paul+Detlefsen&oq=Paul+Detlefsen&gs_l=img.12..0l10.3836.3836.0.7490.1.1.0.0.0.0.171 .171.0j1.1.0.msedr...0...1ac..61.img..0.1.171.oqDv t9yvT_M

Gms9810
02-09-2015, 07:57 AM
you DO know that we're talking about painters, right?

Gms9810
02-10-2015, 03:30 PM
Someone had a single post, talking about a music group. It seems to be gone now. That's who I was addressing.

kenmo
02-12-2015, 08:12 AM
Thanks for mentioning Paul Detlefsen... I checked your links and WOW...his art is incredible....

D Akey
02-20-2015, 06:35 AM
Janet Jackson is my very favorite music artist. The old & new her. I'm every step by the way with her. I'm a huge fan of hers.

So many actors too take up painting in their down time. So they're artists in their own rights.

Also, there's a huge fan base out there where they paint her as the subject, so I guess that all qualifies. She's pretty amazing as a performer as well. Haven't heard her stuff in a long while but Velvet Rope era she was amazing.

Looks like they've even got shoes for ya as you're steppin' with her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GQpQadZ07U

kenmo
11-14-2015, 02:38 PM
I recently discovered Dan Hatala and I really love his style and subject matter....

http://hatalaillustration.com/commercialart/

D Akey
11-15-2015, 03:08 AM
I can see why. It's almost exactly where you were headed when you were getting into combining ArtRage and 3D. And if such places and scenes existed, your fine camera eye would be working overtime.

kenmo
11-15-2015, 08:18 AM
I can see why. It's almost exactly where you were headed when you were getting into combining ArtRage and 3D. And if such places and scenes existed, your fine camera eye would be working overtime.

I did purchase another DSLR in July. A Nikon D7100 and most of my time has been spent photographing car events but mostly landscapes... With the cold weather coming I hope to get more into ArtRage and 3D modeling/rendering...

Cheers

Ken

kenmo
06-18-2016, 02:32 AM
I'd like to update my list of favorite artists and share it with the Artrage crowd. Travis Charest is a fellow Canadian and a very talented comic book artist. Here's a link to his website where some of his stunning art can be seen...

http://travischarestart.com/

Example of some of his outstanding art...

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/51c9f430e4b014f2c6e072b9/51d5ef8ee4b0bd06a5efcaf9/51d5ef97e4b07e30233b5d81/1372975004899/CadetGamma.jpg?format=1500w

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/51c9f430e4b014f2c6e072b9/51cfe871e4b09d5758466ade/51cfe87ae4b0683f2ada3f9d/1372998184887/Ironman_color.jpg?format=500w

shivanya
08-13-2016, 01:18 AM
My favourite is Vermeer. Am a big fan of his arts.

kenmo
03-02-2017, 07:48 AM
Another artist I enjoy is the late Virgil Finlay

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgil_Finlay

Some examples of his art

https://flavorwire.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/virgil-finlay.jpg

http://flavorwire.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/v0101.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-G2mKhB25hoQ/UswiEd_9VJI/AAAAAAAAC88/v61Tg2rKEc8/s1600/Virgil+Finlay+11.jpg

http://amazingstoriesmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/virgil_finlay_astrological_illustration_004-1024x1004.jpg

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/2f/11/36/2f113640a1bd0d88430d0b13474573ee.jpg

I find his use of stippling very appealing. I wonder if there is a way to replicate this in ArtRage?

D Akey
03-05-2017, 03:16 AM
Some of that graphic engraving and repetitive mark making looks hand done. Thing is, there are plug-ins that do that kind of thing generally, but one still had to (I think) cut and paste some of the directionals to follow the contour of the form. So it's a bit of work in and of itself.

As to AR, regarding stippling, seems to me you could accomplish it with the glitter tool (or one of them) to spray out black dots if you set it right. Then go back and white out or erase out the parts you don't want. Or you could mask ahead of time.

Another way to do is to get a sheet with dots on it and after replicating it, just strip it in. Naturally the more you do the better you get at it.

There are artists who actually enjoy getting into detail line and dots and all that old rapidiograph stuff because you can just do it on autopilot while listening to a book on tape, TV, or learning a foreign language. But it's a no brainer if you get into that work mode. And by the end, voila. Takes less time than you might think. But I'm sure there are short cuts.

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::):):):):):cool::coo l::cool::cool::cool:

Gms9810
03-07-2017, 02:42 PM
I'm back in the saddle agin! Sorry, it seemed a good time to sing.

Zeropainter
03-18-2017, 06:16 AM
I love so much the Art of NOAH BRADLEY

https://www.artstation.com/artist/noahbradley

https://noahbradley.com/

http://noahbradley.deviantart.com/

D Akey
03-18-2017, 08:08 AM
Wow! Thanks Zeropainter! I love this work. I can see why you do as well. I had not known this artist. Thanks for the introduction.

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::):):):):):cool::coo l::cool::cool::cool:

kenmo
07-01-2017, 06:10 AM
Concur... Never heard of him BUT Noah Bradley is incredible...

kenmo
07-01-2017, 06:15 AM
I enjoyed Cary Nord's work on Darkhorse Comics Conan title...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cary_Nord

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/a6/72/0e/a6720ec9cb3127c9c5b8b7a153c84c9d.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-inUoOswQDrE/Ulzh8Uq2Y6I/AAAAAAAAGbw/t-gzNG-cifc/s1600/conan39.jpg

https://static.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_small/6/67663/2205687-01.jpg

kenmo
10-20-2017, 06:06 AM
I enjoy wildlife paintings, especially of the animals of North America. Dave Merrill is worth a look for anyone interested in nature/wildlife painting...

http://www.davemerrillart.com/moose-art--water-world--by-dave-merrill.htm

John Banovich is another....

http://www.johnbanovichfineart.com/artwork/2016

kenmo
10-20-2017, 06:12 AM
Robert Bateman is another wildlife painter who is quite popular in Canada, being he is Canadian...:-)

http://robertbateman.ca/

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/-OxL9pPJaNI/maxresdefault.jpg

http://gallerydeboer.ca.s100597.gridserver.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/No.49-Robert-Bateman-Morning-Dew-Roe-Deer-Ltd-627-950.jpg

http://gallerydeboer.ca.s100597.gridserver.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/No.33-Robert-Bateman-Dozing-Lynx-LTd-1-950.jpg

kenmo
11-16-2017, 08:32 AM
A great site with bios of many illustrators... such as Virgil Finlay, Hal Foster, Jack Kirby, Frank Frazetta, etc...

http://www.bpib.com/illustra.htm

kenmo
12-14-2017, 02:52 AM
List of Saturday Evening Post's artists ...

http://www.saturdayeveningpost.com/artists-gallery/saturday-evening-post-cover-artists

DarkOwnt
01-17-2018, 04:30 AM
Just discovered this artist a few months ago (I'm still an Art newb):

Peder Mork Monsted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCLBaZP02RE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HF1BAKraVTY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdiZvyhWuPE

kenmo
03-29-2018, 03:03 AM
Wow...thanks for Peder Mork Monsted...