PDA

View Full Version : New to this

Chinchi
05-24-2014, 07:37 AM
Hi.
I only just started using ArtRage today.
I've played a bit wit it (just trying out the different brushes) when I got my tablet some years ago...
The latest couple of days I've had this urge to try it out again, and it was fun :)
I like how easy it is to get then hang of, compared to programs like photoshop and GIMP - I just don't have the patience for those programt ;)
First try with ArtRage. I think it went rather well :)
I'm working on this concept for a friend, and wanted to try it out on the computer. I think I'll just keep to doing them by hand, but this was loads of fun :)

I'm going to tweak this, but well... I was thinking I would try and make my comic stripe in ArtRage. This way I won't have to do it all by hand and scan and what not. Lot easier in the long run.

Sorry if there are some spelling errors. I haven't gotten around to installing an english dictonary in my browser :)

D Akey
05-24-2014, 07:44 AM
How fun! Welcome and it looks like you're on your way to telling a story. :cool: Cute little dragon too!

stevemawmv
05-24-2014, 08:01 AM
Welcome....looking forward to your Artrage creations...you've got a good start on your creature concept.
And would like to see your progressions of the comic strip.
Take care,
Steve

Chinchi
05-24-2014, 08:10 AM
The dracon kinda sucks xD
But still fun to do.
That was the look I was going for :)

kenmo
05-24-2014, 08:22 AM
Wow...awesome results from just your first day with Artrage....:cool::cool::cool:

D Akey
05-24-2014, 08:47 AM
The dracon kinda sucks xD
But still fun to do.
That was the look I was going for :)

For a dragon, sucking could get ya burned. Dragon safety tip = Turn off the flames when inhaling.

But, while you say you don't like the drawing of the dragon, I have to tell you, this looks like a really good cartoon drawing to me because you make what he's thinking or his attitude really clear with those great big eyes especially. Cartoonists have a lot of range when it comes to designing their characters, and certainly when coming up with something original. I think this could work. The personal touch is endearing. I love both versions. The second one probably has more potential for expressing feelings through poses and expressions though, this is true.

copespeak
05-24-2014, 08:50 AM
Welcome, and good advice from Mr Akey! Keep working at it, you have talent! :) :)

Whimsical86
05-24-2014, 05:44 PM
very nice :D
I also found artrage very easy to use right from the start without much instruction.

Chinchi
05-24-2014, 10:16 PM
Thank you for the kind words.

I'll get back to posting on here again :)
No doubht this is fun to work with.

One thing though - If I need to add text, I need to load in to an other program, right? I was thinking GIMP would work for that part of it...?!

copespeak
05-24-2014, 11:42 PM
Art Rage has text .... bottom left corner. :)

Chinchi
05-25-2014, 12:28 AM
I have the 2.something version
Can't seam to find it there :/

markw
05-25-2014, 02:10 AM
I maybe wrong here, but I don't think AR2 had a Text tool did it...?
Maybe some real long time users could answer that one definitively.

However if you have a registered copy of AR2, i.e. it came with a Registration Key number, maybe consider upgrading to v4. I see that Ambient Design are still giving a 50% discount for people upgrading from v2. See this page for more info here: http://www.artrage.com/artrage-2/

jibes
05-25-2014, 05:10 AM
Welcome Chinchi.
You appear to be well on your way to being a digital artist. Ar 3 and 4 are well worth upgrading to. but you could get by just fine with v2 for a while.

Chinchi
05-25-2014, 06:35 AM
I'll have to think about that upgrade :)
Would be nice to be able to use text directly in AR instead of switching to a different program.

D Akey
05-25-2014, 06:48 AM
That's right. You can still do your art with version 2 and it will be very nice. At some point you will certainly want to upgrade but right now with what you have you can add text in other programs. AR does export editable PhotoShop compatible files as I recall from AR2 with layers intact so you can port them back and forth. I just now tried with AR4 and PS-CS3 and the files moves back and forth and the text works between them as basic editable text. I did that to find out myself. So the point being is if you go the PS/Gimp route, to save your files in multiple formats if you want to later be able to work the text in AR once you upgrade. That's only really an issue if text is an issue. But you will save yourself some hassle if you can upgrade AR.

Meanwhile, your time is never wasted and have fun with it. And upgrade when you outgrow the earlier version.

Caesar
05-26-2014, 09:27 PM
Welcome! I like Your cuties!

silvy
05-27-2014, 04:31 AM
Welcome to the forum with your cute little dragon:):)

coops
05-27-2014, 11:06 PM
Welcome and your dragon is so cute:)

pai
05-30-2014, 06:46 PM
So lovely and cute dragons. See them makes me smile. Like those I read in children illustration books. And, I think you did it very well drawing. I like the second one a lot. :D