PDA

View Full Version : Yoann Lori - Caricatures and else

Pages : [1] 2

YoannLori
05-15-2014, 08:43 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm new on this forum and think I should present myself. I'm a french man named Yoann Lori working full time in the video-game industry as an environment artist. It's an exciting job but this is not what I intended to do when I got out of Emile Cohl Art school in Lyon in 1997. I had a passion for caricatures and first drew them on paper with colored pencil. I now draw them on computer and did most of them in Photoshop. But I recently had a try on ArtRage and actually loved it. I just made one caricature with ArtRage for now but I promise there will be many others.

Enough with presentations ! Here is Sean Bean as Ned Stark in Game of Thrones. Drawn in about 4 hours.

I hope you'll like it.

copespeak
05-15-2014, 09:48 PM
Welcome Yoann! This is spectacular work. I love the rich texture of the lines and the rough character of the man shines through brilliantly.

I can't wait to see more!! :) :)

YoannLori
05-15-2014, 10:16 PM
Thanks for your kind comment Robyn,

I'm still discovering the software but I feel that there is a lot that can be done with it. :)

Caesar
05-15-2014, 10:33 PM
A most warm welcome, dear YoannLori!
Congratulation for this caricature and Your drawing ability. I'm in awe in front of such a show of professional mastery by a highly educated artist.
As with other professional artists and very talented mates in here I'm honored to have You sharing your outcomes in here, where there are, as exhibitors, also amateur artists and doodlers like me. I haven't decided as yet (probably cannot decide) a preferred genre but, apart from painting, likes to draw and ends up with vignettes and caricatures for fun, so your drawing is sheer delight to me.

YoannLori
05-16-2014, 12:31 AM
Thank you so much Caesar for your warm welcome and comment !!!

I'm glad you liked my work.
I draw since I was 6 and knew that I wanted it to be my job later. I was lucky to find a job in relation with drawing (even if it's just textures) but after a while, I felt that I had to go back to what I like the most. I always loved caricatures and it was in fact the subject I chose for my last year in art school. As for the genre you would like to choose, I would just say that there is non need to choose. Just do whatever you feel like doing. ;)

I have made a video of the making of Sean Bean's but as I'm new I don't seem to be able to post it. I also wanted to put a link to my blog but this wasn't possible either. I will post all of this as soon as I can.

Yoann

coops
05-16-2014, 01:51 AM
Welcome to the forums and boy thats great. You are very talented:)

eighty+
05-16-2014, 01:52 AM
Hi Yoanne Drawing from 6 you should be so lucky add a zero thats when I found I could Draw and I'm still not sure :D:D ok cut the cackle

your drawingis Fantastic ok a Question is it ok if I copy yae or nae ok welcome to the happy band here artrage'rs SLAINTE KIA ORA

YoannLori
05-16-2014, 03:02 AM
coops : Thank you very much for your comment !

eighty+ : Yes, I've been lucky to know what I wanted to do at an early age an even more lucky to live the dream. Thanks for enjoying my work ! ;) Now about the copy I'm afraid I didn't get what it was all about. I'd be happy to answer if I know exactly what you want to do. Sorry but my english is pretty basic and I sometimes don't get specific expressions. :(

stevemawmv
05-16-2014, 03:43 AM
Fantastic work Yoann and welcome.......Great detailing and texturing! Absolutely love this image and looking forward to seeing more of your work.
I am still fascinated with 'GOT' because its such a great series even into the fouth season!
Take care Yoann,
Steve

Gallery:http://forums.artrage.com/showthread.php?45586-Stevemawmv-Just-my-Paintings-(Thank-you-all!)
Workshop:http://forums.artrage.com/showthread.php?45915-Painting-favorite-models

MKROOT
05-16-2014, 04:41 AM
Great work :)

copespeak
05-16-2014, 08:59 AM
Yoann, Eighty likes to have a go at copying work done by others. He is our most prolific and loved member on our forum, and comes up with some fascinating efforts. I have a folder full of his works.

Lots of fun! :)

gxhpainter2
05-16-2014, 10:05 AM
Yoann, welcome, always a pleasure to see what can be done with ArtRage in the hands of a talented professional, love this drawing and can't wait to see more... do you use a desktop system and a Wacom stylus, or work on iPad?

D Akey
05-16-2014, 01:36 PM
Great drawing. Very good. And welcome, mon ami!

Eighty+ likes to learn to draw from copying other artist's work. So he's asking permission whether he can copy your work to learn from. Believe me, it's meant to be a compliment. He also has a unique way of typing. Imagine speaking to someone with a particular British dialect rather than the English they would teach in school. So online translators may not know what to do with some of the words. But once you know how he communicates, it's easy and always either flattering or humorous -- or both at the same time.

So: He likes your drawing very much and would like to try copying it, if you wouldn't mind allowing him to do so. He also may be asking to copy any later drawings you post, if the spirit moves him to try copying it. Think of it like a form of comradeship, similar to kicking a football back and forth and learning tricks from each other.

Victor Osaka
05-16-2014, 04:55 PM
Yikes Awesome work! Really great stuff.

pai
05-16-2014, 04:58 PM
Such great drawing and brilliant portrait of an talented artist too. I like this actor a lot. Welcome to Artrage forum, can't wait to see more from your works :)

YoannLori
05-16-2014, 08:33 PM
@stevemawmv : Thanks a lot ! :) More work will come soon (hopefully). I also hope everyone in here already saw GoT's first season because if not what you wrote is a major spoiler ! ;)

@MKROOT : Thank you very much ! :)

@copespeak : Thanks for your answer. I assumed it was something like that but needed it clear before answering. ;)

@gxhpainter : Thanks for your comment. As I said before, I'm still discovering the software and will try other tools in the future. About your Question, I have a PC desktop and a Wacom intuos 4M.

@D Akey : Thank you so much. I now understand what Eighty+ meant. Thanks to you and copespeak for that ! ;)

@Victor Osaka : Thanks a bunch for your comment ! :)

@pai : Thanks a lot ! more work is on the way !

@Eighty+ : Now that I'm sure of what you meant, I can tell you that you are more than welcome to copy anything you want from my work. It will be an honor. I'm also glad that you discovered your passion at 60 ! Better later than never. The important thing is that you enjoy doing it ! ;)

eighty+
05-16-2014, 08:57 PM
Thanks. Yoann I will try but can't say what the result will be as you put in so much detail in ok

Thanks E+

Caesar
05-17-2014, 01:00 AM
Looking forward to see your movie, dear Yoann when You will be able (pretty soon if I remember). I'm sure it will be most enlighting as a lesson. Thank You in advance!
Even without becoming a professional and achieving Your outstanding results, curiously I share Your drawing passion from childhood too. I
As a matter of fact I was hardly one year old when I started holding the pencil correctly and drawing a little better than mere scribbles and at an age of two I already portrayed one of my grannies in a quite recognizable way. Unfortunately my progress slowed down after I ceased to emulate the various comics styles I liked (to self teach myself), when I started university and work (although most of my colleagues, either alone or in a group, soon got caricatures during meetings giving me quite a fame ;):o). Therefore I think I can still appreciate well enough a very talented pencil artist as you are and the degree of skill a drawing requires and You're outstanding on both!.

byroncallas
05-17-2014, 02:07 AM
I LOVE it and look forward to seeing more of your work. Terrific piece.

damasocl
05-17-2014, 06:08 AM
Fantástico, reflejo de una excelente técnica,....felicitaciones!

Great, a result of an excellent technique .... congratulations!:rolleyes::);)

justjean
05-17-2014, 07:47 AM
Wonderful , looking forward to seeing more :D

Mick CrocKode
05-17-2014, 06:38 PM
Welcome Yoann.
Nice and beautiful drawing. Would much appreciate to see the video you "made of the making of Sean Bean". It is possible to post the link of your blog by selecting a word in your editing post and by a clic on that icon
like in this exemple =>

You have also the possibility to have a permanent like to your blog or to your web site by putting this addresses in your "signature".
Just select "My Profile" on the top right of the page, and chose "Forum Actions" in that new window to "Edit Profile".
I'm not sure that I have well explained the answer for "I will post all of this as soon as I can.".... Hope it helps.

Victor Osaka
05-17-2014, 07:32 PM
I would also love to see you work in action.

hildee
05-17-2014, 10:28 PM
I am in awe of your drawing abilities and I'm looking forward to seeing more of your talent :)

YoannLori
05-20-2014, 01:23 AM
@eighty+ : You did a great job ! ;)

@Caesar : You started even sooner than I did ! I used to copy comics as well as a child, but rapidly realized I could use my imagination and observation to make my own drawings. Well, I must say that they didn't come out as well as what I had in mind at first. I took a lot of time and patience to get closer to the result I expected. In fact, even now I am not completely satisfied with the results but that helps me improving. Thanks a lot for your comment. It means a lot to me ! ;)

@byroncallas : Thank you very much !

@damasocl : Thanks a lot !

@justjean : Thank you so much !

@Mick CrocKode : Thanks a lot for your comment. I already tried what you described but every time I do, I get a message explaining that I can't post URLs because I'm a new member. As for the signature, it must be the same thing because this option doesn't appear in my profile. I probably have to wait but I don't know how long.

@Victor Osaka : Thanks ! I'll post the video as soon as I will be able to.

@hildee : Many Thanks ! I'll post a link to my previous works when I can but as I don't know how long it will take and since I haven't finished my last piece, here is a WIP version of what I'm working on. I hope you'll enjoy it.

D Akey
05-20-2014, 01:36 AM
Wonderful. I love your eye for distortion and exaggeration and your drawing style is very pleasing and clear. It's witty. :):):):):)

justjean
05-20-2014, 01:42 AM
another beautiful drawing :):):)

YoannLori
05-20-2014, 02:36 AM
@D Akey and justjean : Thanks a lot to both of you !

I would recommand to watch the large version as some sharpen filter seems to be applied on the "thumbnail" resulting in a too noisy image. :(

stevemawmv
05-20-2014, 03:55 AM
Hi Yoann,
Already know this one is going to be amazing as well, just by what I see in your WIP. Looking forward to seeing the completed piece......
Take care,
Steve

silvy
05-20-2014, 04:09 AM
Welcome and what a wonderful drawings:):)
Hope to see more

YoannLori
05-20-2014, 10:46 PM
@stevemawmv : Thanks a lot ! The finished piece should be posted in a few days.

@silvy : Thank you very much ! :)

YoannLori
05-20-2014, 11:00 PM
Looks like I can now post links ! So here is the video of the making of Sean Bean I was Talking about.

http://youtu.be/SgBUjxiBkAU

You can also check my previous work here : http://yoannlori.blogspot.fr/

or even here : https://www.facebook.com/YoannLoriIllustrations

and even send me a friend request if you like : https://www.facebook.com/yoann.lori1

ps : still didn't find how to add my signature to my posts. :(

kenmo
05-20-2014, 11:20 PM
Awesome video, many thanks for sharing......:cool::cool::cool:

D Akey
05-21-2014, 02:49 AM
Magnifique!

Have you tried Artrage for your color work? Or have you recently come over to using ArtRage? They're brilliant renderings, as well as sharp caricatures.

You have a really good eye for painting very smooth final renderings.

YoannLori
05-21-2014, 03:14 AM
@kenmo : Thanks a lot. Glad you enjoyed it ! ;)

@D Akey : Thanks ! My previous works were done using photoshop. Some were done in 5 hours (mostly for weekly contests) when others took 17 hours to complete. I bought ArtRage a while ago but never had the time to try it as I did recently. I didn't try color yet but the next caricature(not the WIP one) will probably use some and will be done in ArtRage. I will try to use only this software for my personnal work from now on. ;)

byroncallas
05-21-2014, 03:46 AM
The video is great. Thanks for sharing it. You sure have an assured, direct hand. Lots to learn spending time seeing how you pull this together. Wonderful.
S
PS: You can add a sig in the "edit signature" section by selecting "Forum Actions" above. Go "Forum Actions/Edit Profile/Edit Signature". That should do it for you.

AndreaMG
05-21-2014, 06:46 AM
You're very talented, I'd like to see non caricature portrait too with that technique of yours :cool:

Caesar
05-21-2014, 06:50 PM
Also Your second in-progress caricature is already a real marvel. Your talent and set-up methodology and skills are absolutely top class ones. Thank You for sharing such examples which would represent to me an achievement asymptote and would keep me engaged a millennium only to get vaguely close.:o;)

YoannLori
05-22-2014, 12:14 AM
@byroncallas : Thanks ! Four hours condensed in a 6 mn video, it sure looks like I have an assured hand ... but I make mistakes and I can assure you that I used the eraser more than once in the caricature of Kevin Spacey which is in fact the third version I draw of him. Thanks for the advice concerning the signature but This option didn't show up on my profile until today. I guess new members have to wait one week before having access to complete features. ;)

@AndreaMG : Thanks a lot ! I did in fact some portraits (not in ArtRage) but they were done only for family. I mostly enjoy drawing caricatures ! :)

@Caesar : Now that's a compliment ! Thanks you so much ! :) I consider myself as average when I see other's work like Sebastian Kruger, Jaison Seiler and many more but it brings me motivation and I always try to do better with the next piece !

Here is the final version of Kevin Spacey. I also recorded the process on this one so I'll make a video out of it as soon as I have time.

justjean
05-22-2014, 01:07 AM
Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful and thanks for sharing you video :)

stevemawmv
05-22-2014, 01:14 AM
The finished 'Kevin' drawing is fantastic, and thank you for posting the video on 'Sean Bean', throughly enjoyed viewing it!
Take care,
Steve

eighty+
05-22-2014, 05:07 AM
Yoann Words Fail me its just Bootyfull will try later maybe tomorrow ok ;) :D :D :D Bonn SANTE

MKROOT
05-22-2014, 06:28 PM
excellent drawing :)

Caesar
05-22-2014, 07:38 PM
Sebastain Krueger is certainly a king of caricature, but I think that a lot is due to an enormous number of skill, tricks, techniques eyc. he amassed to get to perfection down to the least detail on what he does, but I think that once You get anything's essential to let observers' brain do the rest, and You give personality, expressivity etc. to Your subject (and You're versatile in most or any genre) You reached the same level (and You did for me) and You may possibly be an even greater artist well beyond any learned automatism ... frankly I don't like too pedantic polishing in art whenever unrequired and excessive.

YoannLori
05-22-2014, 11:06 PM
@ justjean : Thank you so much ! :)

@stevemawmv : Thanks a lot ! :)

@eighty + : Thanks for you kind comment.

@MKROOT : Thank you very much ! :)

@Caesar : Thank you very much for that comment. I try not to go to far in terms of polish but I just can't let a piece unfinished eventhough I love the "non finito". I just can't help it. I have to finish what I start. ;)

kenmo
05-22-2014, 11:14 PM
Very nice...look forward to the video....

BetsyPriesing
05-23-2014, 01:40 AM
Yoann your work is fantastic! I really enjoyed the movie! I looked in your blog I love the color portraits!
Great work you make me want to do better!
Betsy

coops
05-23-2014, 10:51 PM
Another fantastic work, well done:)

YoannLori
05-25-2014, 09:22 AM
@kenmo : Thanks a lot ! here is what you were waiting for. :)

@BetsyPriesing : Thank you so much for your kind comment. Taht makes me want to do more. :)

@coops : Thank you very much ! :)

So as promised, here is the timelapse video of my Kevin Spacey Caricature :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcuYHogLwOk&list=PLNehNv8Q4y0p8IcuOzYbHLTRZ8cs0yqYs&feature=share

silvy
05-27-2014, 04:43 AM
Another beautiful work:) Thanks for the videos!

YoannLori
05-29-2014, 12:44 AM
@silvy : thank you so much ! :)

Here is a WIP version of Anna Paquin as Rogue in X-men. I'll post the finished version in a few days.

kenmo
05-29-2014, 01:32 AM
Wow...very impressive.....

D Akey
05-29-2014, 02:24 AM
Funny, I just watched her on an old talk show rerun two nights ago. And here she is again. Yikes! A vampire! I mean an XMan! I mean a Piano Player! :eek:

Very nice. One thing that stood out as a prominent feature for me in looking at her on the show was the gap in her front teeth. Certain actors and models have that as a signature.

You're very good at these. And they're always fun to look at. :):):):):)

stevemawmv
05-29-2014, 04:02 AM
Great job so far on Anna.....looking forward to her completion.
Take care,
Steve

copespeak
05-29-2014, 10:30 AM
Wonderful work! :cool:

SCP
05-29-2014, 01:07 PM
Fantastic works,really like your Ned Stark !! :cool::cool:

hildee
05-29-2014, 05:21 PM
I can see Anna Pacquin in there for sure, such a good likeness even with the caricature happening.

Caesar
05-29-2014, 09:41 PM
OMG, we lost Hanzz in this Forum, alas, but we fortunately earned You as a supreme master caricaturist! I'm not an X-Men fan, but Your artpiece is extraordinary! Congratulations.

silvy
05-30-2014, 05:02 AM
Wow! Just wonderful:cool:

pai
05-30-2014, 06:36 PM
Woot! I like that look of Anna Paquin on X-men. I almost wanted to dye my front hair as white like her after seeing the movie. Awesome caricautre again. :)

YoannLori
06-03-2014, 12:06 AM
kenmo, D Akey, stevemawmv, copespeak, SCP, hildee, Caesar, silvy and pai : Thank you all so much !!!!

Here is he final version of Anna Paquin as Rogue. I didn't push it as far as I wanted to as it was made for the Wittygraphy contest that ended on the 31th. I hope you'll like it anyway !

justjean
06-03-2014, 10:47 AM
Great video and the lady looks marvelous :)

D Akey
06-03-2014, 11:33 AM
Fantastic. Great lips and set of the eyes and curve of the brow.

stevemawmv
06-04-2014, 10:26 AM
Great job Yoann!....Love that upper curled lip, looking forward to the next one!
Take care,
Steve

pat1940
06-04-2014, 11:02 AM
Really like your work, so well done

kenmo
06-04-2014, 11:11 PM
Amazing work....

YoannLori
06-05-2014, 02:17 AM
justjean, D Akey, stevemawmv, pt1940 and kenmo : Thank you all so much for your kind comments. :)

I have to admit I struggled a lot with the airbrush tool to get the result I wanted. I had to change the parameters more than once depending on what I wanted. I'll probably try to play with the stickers next time ... or maybe try to mix different kind of tools.
Unfortunately, I paused the recording script and forgot to turn it back on for a while, resulting in a non usable file for a timelapse video ... :( I won't pause it next time.

YoannLori
07-04-2014, 12:26 AM
Hi everyone,

I know it's been a while but I wanted to go back to colored caricatures and spent some time using the airbrush and a bit of the stickers to get the best result I could. It finally took me 20 hours to finish this piece.

Here is Peter Jackson and some details in bonus

Caesar
07-04-2014, 03:44 AM
I'm really in awe in front of such a perfection! :eek::cool::D:D:D:D:D:D
I would really like to know something about the process (which seems exceptional and probably a matter of mastery and patience) and the customer pre-sets and resources You had to set up to get such a marvel and maybe a tutorial movie with to learn some tips and tricks You brilliantly devised. :confused::rolleyes::o
My most heartfelt congratulations! Kruger cannot do any better, with ArtRage for sure!!!;)

gxhpainter2
07-04-2014, 08:41 AM
I would agree with Caesar, how you accomplish such mastery of form and light, and creativity is astounding....what a treat that you share with us...:cool::cool:

stevemawmv
07-04-2014, 09:10 AM
Yoann.....WOW!!!!!!
Fantastic work!....Another favorite Director of mine, and you've just made him more of a favorite.....
Great work, love those little characters
of his.....
Steve

SCP
07-04-2014, 09:23 AM
Amazing work !! A fantastic Illustration,love all the details and your composition,so much to like in this.Hours well spent,great job !:cool::cool::cool::D

YoannLori
07-04-2014, 11:31 PM
Caesar, gxhpainter, stevemawmv and SCP : Thank you all very much four your kind comments !!! :) :) :)

As I said I used the airbrush tool with normal blending mode and changing opacity and hardness along the way. I also uses the stickers as a I would use a Photoshop custom brush. I downloaded Chris Wahl (great artist) Photoshop brushes and imported them into ArtRage. I tweaked one a little and that helped me to do the hair a bit faster. The rest of the process is pretty close to what I used to do with Photoshop. I start with a big airbrush at 40-50 % opacity and then reduce the size of the airbrush as I go along.
I will try to make a video out of this one when I have a little time as I saved the process with the script but this won't be a tutorial, sorry. In fact I have been contacted for several projects and those may imply to explain in detail my process. I'll keep you informed ! ;)

pat1940
07-05-2014, 07:31 AM
We are so lucky to have you post such talent, you must have the so much patience and enjoy your work, as we enjoy viewing it, thank you for posting, love, love your talent

D Akey
07-05-2014, 08:54 AM
Amazing. Lots of great caricatures for the price of one! :D:D:D:D:D:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

hcwswdj
07-07-2014, 03:36 PM
the painting all stronger~ hope share some skill with us ~~~~:D:o

Caesar
07-07-2014, 06:41 PM
Thank You, dear Yoann, for Your tips as well as, in advance, for any video You would record, but, above all, for sharing Your marvels in here! They stimulate admiration and emulation desire, thus foster motivation to constantly improve, I think.

pai
07-08-2014, 06:11 AM
Wow, just 20 hours?! :P That will take me monthSS. Amazing details and rendering. Is this all done in Artrage only, I meant the latest ArtRage 4 version? I guess, it is. Thanks for sharing your stunning work. Very inspiring and I like how you added few characters created by Peter Jackson. :)

Belvrog
07-08-2014, 10:52 AM
Aw, is that a character from "Meet the feebles?":o. Different kind of films, that he was making back then.:) Fantastic paintings that you've posted here ! Very well done!

coops
07-08-2014, 09:20 PM
Your work is brilliant and so exciting to look at, well done:)

YoannLori
07-08-2014, 11:34 PM
pat1940 : thank you very much ! :) Time and patience is exactly what is needed ... even if I could use a little more time to draw ! ;)

D Akey : Thanks ! Haha !! it's summer sale time ! ;)

hcwswdj : Thank you very much ! I'll make a video in a few days.

Caesar : Thanks a lot once again for this comment. I'm glad my work can inspire other artists. :)

pai : The signature is a layer added in photoshop but everything else was done using ArtRage 3.5. I haven't upgraded yet. About the creatures, I wanted to add more but not all of his movies have this king of creatures and that would have been probably too many ... but I could have add one of the ghosts from the Frighteners.

Belvrog : Yes it is ! :) I'd like him to make another movie like the one he used to do. Just one more time ! :) Thanks for your comment.

coops : Thank you very much for your comment.

kenmo
07-09-2014, 01:05 AM
You Peter Jackson painting blew me away....this is incredible....:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

YoannLori
07-26-2014, 12:41 AM
A bit late but ... thank you very much kenmo ! :)

Here is just an update of my Anna Paquin caricature. I had to rush for the contest and was not happy with the result so I decided to polish it.

Bertrude
07-26-2014, 01:46 AM
Awesome caricatures. I am both amazed and amused.

D Akey
07-26-2014, 04:19 AM
I'm flipping the versions to compare what you've done to improve an already great caricature. The first one was more out of focus and perhaps was saved at a lower resolution? Not sure. But the second one is definitely sharper with a lot more detail and highlights that clarify the elements. Also you put in some more strands of hair. And yes, the second one is much better when the two are compared by toggling one on and off so that all that shows are the changes.

I love all the details. That leather in her jacket is perfection. And I love what you added to her hair. How did you do those repeated long strokes? Were they all free handed? The highlighting in the hair, which is something most people would not consider, really gives the strands volume in space. I like also how you softened and curved the shadow going down the cheekbone on our right. the highlight on the lower lid and so forth. I don't know if you had the highlights on separate layers, but if so, things like that, popping the lights more, is a lot more flexible after the fact when you're tweaking it.

Yeah, you really made it so beautifully crisp that it really makes it so very dimensional.

Bravo!!!! Really well done. Again, if you would be so kind as to share it, how did you do the hair strands? Was it done freehand with a tablet? Thanks. :):):):):):):):):):):cool::cool::cool::cool::cool: :cool::cool::):):):):):):):):):)

Oh, and on topic with a discussion in another thread about realism, this is a great example of the use of realism in a non-photographic context.

YoannLori
07-26-2014, 08:30 AM
Thank you very much Bertrude !!! :)

D Akey : I unfortunately don't have much time to answer in details right now. All I can say is that they were both saved at the same resolution. The hair strands are free handed. I spent four more hours on it to refine and add all these new details.
Thank you very much for your comment ! :)

eighty+
07-26-2014, 01:09 PM
hey hey hey Yoann And here's me working me butt off on the 1st and now you tell me you've

gone and done an update that's me watching Hamilton getting pole today up the Shute

Merci Boko ;) :D :D :D :D :D :D :D BONNE SANTE POZDRAWSKI

Belvrog
07-27-2014, 11:40 PM
Hi Yoann. Great update! Love its nifty details!

Nika
07-28-2014, 09:41 AM
Stunning gallery! :)

copespeak
07-28-2014, 05:53 PM
Such a fabulous painting. The hair and that light is just wonderful!

Caesar
07-28-2014, 07:48 PM
I guess You too eventually asked her: "Why don't You talk and move, darling?" :eek::cool:;) Exceptional!

YoannLori
10-01-2014, 03:11 AM
Hi everybody !

I know it's been a while since the last time I posted and I want to thank everyone of you for your warm comments.

I'm working on a really exciting project right now so I'm not able to show you the pieces I've done lately... but I can show you some parts of them ! :)

I also really wanted to post the video of Peter Jackson's process but the script came out wrong. The ArtRage team is working on this issue. I hope I will be able to show it to you soon !

As for the new caricatures, I'll let you guess who I painted !

D Akey
10-01-2014, 03:33 AM
I think you and Stevewmv have been in a strategy session on how to show your work.

Really nice. Have no idea though. They look like two different pictures. Can't quite resolve those lips and those eyes into one face. :D:rolleyes: But I have to admire the level of detail and polish. Wow.

Caesar
10-01-2014, 03:43 AM
Welcome back, dear Yoann! My guesses are Charles Dance (Tywin Lannister), unless it's Youlself LOL:o;), and Scarlet Johansson. Fantastic details and art!

YoannLori
10-01-2014, 03:46 AM
Hi D Akey,

Didn't see Stevewmv's post. I'll have to take a look ! ;)

I can understand you're having trouble trying to mix the two images as those are two different caricatures ! :) I should have been more precise about this.

I'd love to show you the whole images but I just can't right now.

YoannLori
10-01-2014, 03:50 AM
Hi Caesar,

Good guess concerning Mr Dance ! :) And by the way, I'm a bit younger than him ... for now ! ;)

About the mouth, that is not Scarlett's, but I was pretty sure I was gonna have this answer.

eighty+
10-01-2014, 04:02 AM
hi Yoann good to see yuh nice :D My guess Came-ron when he's Older ;) :D :D :D :D :D :D :D KIA ORA POZDAWSKI

Caesar
10-01-2014, 04:09 AM
Charlize Theron maybe ...?

YoannLori
10-01-2014, 04:15 AM
Hi eighty+,

Good to see you too ! and nope, that is not the correct answer ! ;)

Caesar : you'll have to guess again ! ;)

Caesar
10-01-2014, 04:27 AM
Adriana Lima .... or Jessica Biel (less likely). They're my last guess. I surrender. In this age too many women may have a similar enough feature with plastic surgery ... LOL;):o

stevemawmv
10-01-2014, 04:29 AM
Welcome back Yoann.........Beautiful work! 'Tywin Lannister/Charles Dance' Again, I love that series!... I knew it, but Caesar beat me to it!
Lips.....Angelina I'd have to guess. Again, Beautiful work!
Take care,
Steve

Caesar
10-01-2014, 04:32 AM
Wait .....right.... it's the girl with platinum hair of the Crown Game series ... Daenerys Targaryen! I don't know the actress name. .... Emilia Clark I found.

YoannLori
10-01-2014, 04:43 AM
Hi stevemawmv,

Thanks a lot ! Yes Caesar was fast on this one, and the lips are unfortunately not Angelina's. ;)

Caesar : You finally found it ! you never give up, do you ? :) you've guessed both Charles Dance's eyes and Emilia Clarke's mouth (and not the other way around ! :D) Impressive my friend !

D Akey
10-01-2014, 01:38 PM
Caesar : You finally found it ! you never give up, do you ? :) you've guessed both Charles Dance's eyes and Emilia Clarke's mouth (and not the other way around ! :D) Impressive my friend !

Yeah, Caesar's rather spooky. Based on that mouth I certainly wouldn't mind watching The Game of Thrones to hear words and everything coming out of it. Might be time to dig into that apparently very popular show.

Again, kudos on these great portraits.

YoannLori
10-07-2014, 12:40 AM
Thanks D Akey ! I think Game of Thrones is worth watching and not only for Emilia Clarke ! ;)

The next caricature is pretty obvious, but I'll let you guess anyway !

Caesar
10-07-2014, 03:19 AM
This is pretty easy now! The Lannister dwarf I'd say ....:o;)

Enug
10-07-2014, 03:09 PM
I don't know these characters but it really is a great caricature.

YoannLori
10-08-2014, 01:09 AM
Caesar : Yes ! Peter Dinklage ! ;)

Enug : Thank you very much !

YoannLori
10-15-2014, 09:07 PM
I understand it might be frustrating (for me too) to show you only bits of my latest caricatures. So for you to be patient until the end of the project I'm currently working on, here is one in its entirety.

Emilia Clarke as Daenerys Targarien in Game of Thrones. Done in 11 hours

Caesar
10-15-2014, 09:59 PM
11 hours is nothing for such a perfect outcome! :eek::cool::D:D:D:D:D:D:D Unbelievable insightfulness and likeliness of that character. Even the light and color tones are just exceptionally right anywhere! Chapeau and thank You for sharing, dear master Yoann!

RedSaucers
10-15-2014, 10:39 PM
Absolutely fantastic, you have pulled out her main features beautifully.

Enug
10-16-2014, 01:45 AM
And the hair is amazing!

D Akey
10-16-2014, 01:52 AM
Really quite extraordinary, and yes, I agree completely with Enug -- the hair is incredible.

Alexandra
10-20-2014, 01:35 AM
Outstanding work!:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

copespeak
10-20-2014, 07:38 AM
She is just brilliant! :cool:

YoannLori
10-21-2014, 12:57 AM
Thanks Caesar ! I wish I could paint even faster ! :)

RedSaucers : Thanks a lot !

Enug : Thanks ! This used to be my weakness ... and I think I still can do better.

D Akey : Thanks for your comment !

Alexandra : Thanks for stopping by

copespeak : Thank you very much !

Here is the timelapse video of the process :

http://youtu.be/aGCnfhdVU0w

Enug
10-21-2014, 02:18 PM
The video was very interesting, especially the colours you used in the hair. It looks like you used the airbrush for the whole painting.

YoannLori
10-21-2014, 09:04 PM
Thanks for your comment Enug ! I did use only the airbrush from start to finish. ;)

D Akey
10-22-2014, 03:36 AM
Thanks for that video! What a great resource and inspiration in how one approaches such a caricature. You have a remarkable eye for textures and detail. And you go straight for painting in the detail straight away. That's very different from my opaque style where I build a painting off of more solidly painted areas where I layer detail on top -- sort of like it's emerging from the color. Your's is more a sensibility that watercolorists would have. Again, Bravo! Always something new to learn.

coops
10-23-2014, 12:56 AM
Incredible work, keep them coming:)

YoannLori
10-23-2014, 03:52 AM
D Akey : Thank you very much ! Everyone has its own way to do things and no one is better than the other. It's funny that you mentioned watercolor because I really enjoyed it when I used it in Artschool. I didn't use it since but keep thinking about it from time to time. If I ever go back to traditional caricature, I will probably mix watercolor and color pencils ! :)

coops : Thanks a lot ! ... and I will ! ;)

stevemawmv
10-25-2014, 09:44 AM
Yoann...Absolutely stunning! I really enjoy your work, always looking forward to the videos as well, thank you for them!
Take care,
Steve

waheednasir
10-26-2014, 05:11 PM
Very good work !

Alexandra
10-27-2014, 10:41 PM
YoannLori, it is so fun to view your fantastic work!

eighty+
10-27-2014, 11:46 PM
Hi Yoanne Sorry I missed you in my thread it does happen when I'm wrtting a reply and you post at the same time ok and Thanks from yesturday :D:D:D yes with your drawing skills and high tec knowledge the world is your

Oyster go Man go as the actress said to the Bishop ;) ;) ;)

Marilyn Anne
10-28-2014, 02:30 AM
Great detail! So well done!

YoannLori
11-25-2014, 12:31 AM
stevemawmv, waheednasir, Alexandra, eighty+ and Marilyn Anne : Sorry for being so late with my answer and thank you all so much for all your kind words !!! This mean a lot to me !

Here is a new caricature of a french actor named Louis de Funès. It was completed in about 8 hours.

I hope you'll like it !

Caesar
11-25-2014, 01:51 AM
OMG! Unbelievable! :eek::cool: It's practically holographic, a full 3-D-high-resolution caricature. ;):D:D:D:D:D:D It's as perfectly adhereing to the character and personality as realistic from a finishing standpoint. How could anyone do any better on this subject? Congrats!

YoannLori
11-25-2014, 03:06 AM
Thank you so much Caesar ! It was in fact done for a contest on facebook (BOOKFACE - Caricatures Contest) and the voting will be on wednesday. I got highly motivated by the subject and I'm pretty satisfied with the result (which is not really often in my case) ! :)
I'm also pretty happy with the settings of the airbrush that is less soft than usual. I might do the next caricatures this way.

kenmo
11-25-2014, 04:34 AM
Wow...incredible caricatures....:cool::cool::cool:

YoannLori
11-25-2014, 04:53 AM
Thank you very much kenmo ! :)

stevemawmv
11-25-2014, 05:04 AM
Hello Yoann...
Your style and method of painting is absolutely fantastic and a treat to the eyes!
Nicely done!...Take care,
Steve

YoannLori
11-25-2014, 05:16 AM
Thank you very much Steve ! I'm still changing the settings and experimenting as I go but I kinda like the final render on this one. :)

byroncallas
11-25-2014, 05:27 AM
Being away from the forum or a while, I haven't visited this thread in a long while. What a great treat to review in its entirety today. Your work here is astounding, wonderful, remarkably accomplished.

YoannLori
11-25-2014, 05:45 AM
Thanks you so much for this very nice comment byroncallas ! :)

copespeak
11-25-2014, 09:24 AM
He is absolutely brilliant, and just coming out of the page. You are so clever. Good luck with the contest. Can we vote?

Edit: No we can't unless we join the group, but there is some great work there. Yours certainly deserves a gong. :) :)

YoannLori
11-25-2014, 09:16 PM
Robyn, thank you very much for your very kind words ! No need to vote for me. ;) All the comments I have on this thread is the real reward for me !

D Akey
11-26-2014, 02:47 AM
Wow! Look at the texture in the skin. Such attention to detail. Really brilliant work. Hair, features, lighting, color, everything looks perfect. Well done!

YoannLori
11-26-2014, 05:14 AM
Thanks a lot for your comment D Akey ! :)

YoannLori
01-12-2015, 11:49 PM
Its been a while sine I last posted here.

I don't have many works to show for now. Just a Jimmy Kimmel and some eyes belonging to someone you'll have to guess. Here they are :

I won't continue this caricature for now because I'd like to draw something else first. I was in shock when I heard what happened in my country last Wednesday... I just couldn't believe it. Five cartoonists and seven more people had been killed for having published drawings a few years ago ... drawings !!!! How is that even possible ?
I happened to meet Tignous and Wolinski back in 1996 during a caricature event and they were very nice people... Cabu was also supposed to be here but finally never came to the event. All of these talented artists are now gone.
Well I will caricature the five caricaturists who fell for their freedom of speech. It will take some time so you'll see it in a while.

I have to say that I am also overwhelmed by the solidarity this sad day has created all around the world. This gives me faith in humanity.

After that said, this will seem a bit out of context but I also wanted you to know that The ArtRage team contacted me a few weeks ago because they wanted my work to be featured on the website. The interview is now online here : http://www.artrage.com/artist-feature-yoann-lori/
I'll honestly say that I completely forgot about it due to the recent events but this brought me a breath of fresh air.

Yoann (Je suis Charlie)

Caesar
01-13-2015, 02:57 AM
Fantastic as always, dear Yoann, although I'm not really familiar with this guy. I cannot guess the eyes' owner, maybe I'n not familiar with that guy neither, but they're characteristic for sure.

As for the murdered caricaturists You are going to give the best tribute with Your top class artpieces, I'm sure, and I'm already clapping my hands to You in advance (and them of course). I reacted too immediately with my humble vignette and skills to join these defenders of freedom, of universal rights and brothers in our common European homeland too many people are today interested to tear in bits and pieces by destroying solidarity, noble principles and values and any vision and hope which cannot be turned into a limited, egoistic, nationalistic, short-term and short-sighted economic and financial return. Let's get more and more European and global with any positive value we can be pride of and against barbarities of any kind however disguised they are.

Finally the "ArtRagers" were absolutely right to feature such a great professional artist as You in the website and I'm therefore more and more honored to be part of a "family" which can boast members like you and Your predecessors on the website.

Rachelle
01-13-2015, 04:39 PM
Its been a while sine I last posted here.

I don't have many works to show for now. Just a Jimmy Kimmel and some eyes belonging to someone you'll have to guess. Here they are :

(image of Jimmy Kimmel in original post)

I won't continue this caricature for now because I'd like to draw something else first. I was in shock when I heard what happened in my country last Wednesday... I just couldn't believe it. Five cartoonists and seven more people had been killed for having published drawings a few years ago ... drawings !!!! How is that even possible ?
(...)

After that said, this will seem a bit out of context but I also wanted you to know that The ArtRage team contacted me a few weeks ago because they wanted my work to be featured on the website. The interview is now online here : http://www.artrage.com/artist-feature-yoann-lori/
I'll honestly say that I completely forgot about it due to the recent events but this brought me a breath of fresh air.

Yoann (Je suis Charlie)

Yoann! Oh what an amazing thread, such awesome drawings of yours!! Thank you, very much so, for sharing your punching artwork with us. I've taken a look at your featured interview before even seeing your thread: another delight!

I grew up watching Louis de Funès movies. Oh how you capture all his essence, every little bit of it, especially since his persona is quite a caricature in itself. Ditto with the other characters: you bull's'eye on their essence and render masterful caricature.

What a knack for detail and texture, lighting and color too.

Will look forward to your hommage to the Charlie Hebdo artists.

Oh and those eyes.... hmmm, Tom Cruise???

D Akey
01-14-2015, 07:27 AM
Yes, it's a horrible thing. I strongly empathize with your attitude in light of those very brutal actions.

Your work as ever is very elegant and polished. And it will doubtless maintain its high standard no matter the surrounding worldly digressions pulling your focus into less humorous areas. My sympathies to your country and countrymen.

screenpainter
01-14-2015, 07:47 PM
love your work. very professional and polished and they look like the people. to me that is the highest compliment to the caricature artist is recognizing the person and the polished techniques of portraiture. beautiful, stunning work.

YoannLori
02-13-2015, 01:41 AM
Caesar, Rachelle, D-Akey and screenpainter : Thank you all so much for your comments !!! Sorry for the very late answer but I've been really busy with my new piece. as promised, it is a caricature showing all five artists who were killed the 7th of january.

So here is Tignous, Cabu, Honoré, Wolinski and Charb.

PS: the eyes in the previous post are Jack Gleeson's eyes who plays the horrible king in the Game of Thrones tv show.

hildee
02-13-2015, 10:05 AM
Wow what an amazing painting of the 5. Terrible what happened. There was a thread about it started here during that week. That ideology is the scourge of the earth :(

They all seemed amiable people @ charlie hebdo:
http://youtu.be/BHE-CVE1zJA

D Akey
02-13-2015, 10:20 AM
Phenomenal portraits. They really come across as real, living people, which brings home the criminality of the murders.

I have not seen enough of Game of Thrones to know one fellow's eyes from the next. But they're great eyes. Surprisingly compassionate in appearance for a bloodthirsty tyrant. I was thinking more the look of Paul McCartney.

Well, I was not the casting director for GOT and don't know whether when you pull back and show more of his face he doesn't have some viscera dripping from his teeth, which would probably sell the aggressive, predatory tone a bit more than those pet store puppy eyes. ;)

You're an amazing portraitist.

Victor Osaka
02-13-2015, 11:09 AM
Man. What an awesome painting. Was this a commissioned piece?

Can I save it as my desktop image?

Caesar
02-13-2015, 11:17 PM
The best tribute to this bunch of heroic artist who went on stating their right to critizice anything they felt wrong by means of satire showing the comicity and the grotesque, the Goya's monsters, possibly hiding in all the dark souls of ignorant, violent or evil peiople, as well as the hypocrisy cloak and the solemn absurdities often concealing the worst inhuman attitudes and behaviours.
Having said that, we cannot but immensely admire the highly professional and artistic outcome You was so kind to share here!
Up with the pencils, dear mates, and lets shoot and bury idiot thugs of any kind, religiously or differently fanatic, unable to compete with the intelligence and culture out of their own poor and empty mind, but only with coward use of weapons, as well as their devilish mandators.

YoannLori
02-14-2015, 01:14 AM
Hildee : Thank you very much ! I totally agree with you.

D Akey : Thanks for your highly appreciated comment my friend ! About Jack gleeson, I can assure you he is perfect in the role ! :)

Victor Osaka : Thanks a lot ! This wasn't commisioned. I actually felt like I had to pay those guys tribute the way I know best. And for the desktop image, you are welcome to do so.

Caesar : Thanks a bunch my friend ! I couldn't have said better !

Alexandra
02-14-2015, 03:46 AM
How wonderful your art is and what a great tribute to these artists. I don't know what to say about all the terror and tragedy, except how much it both angers and saddens me.

YoannLori
03-11-2015, 01:04 AM
Alexandra : Sorry for my late answer. There is no words for what happened. We just have to remember them and keep fighting for freedom of speech.

Here is the process video of my illustration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKjyy3_EszQ

D Akey
03-11-2015, 02:11 AM
Masterful. I was wondering about your colors. Because you started at least one of the heads with a highlight on the forehead, it leads me to wonder if you always take your palettes from your source photos rather than invent the color and build it up like in the old days. That would certainly simplify things.

However, I could see where it might not work so easily, as when you are assembling several different heads from different photos, with presumably different color temperatures. How do you bring them into where they look like they're in the same place? Or do you just find photos that look like they share a similar look ahead of time rather than trying to force together pics that are too different? And do you have tricks to make them look like they're in the same location? The world is filled with photo reference now so it's not hard finding good, complimentary source photos I would imagine.

Anyway, this is brilliant and does give a good glimpse into your working method. Thanks! There's something magical about watching a master artist at work.

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::):):):):):cool::coo l::cool::cool::cool:

YoannLori
03-11-2015, 03:23 AM
Thanks D Akey ! :)

I do pick some colors from the photo references. It allows me to work faster. I usually pick the mid tone, the darkest and the lightest tones and some particular ones. I then blend them together while painting and get all the range this way. I could possibly use the color mixer (which I do use from time to time if the tone doesn't suit me) but why should I spend time doing this if I wanna stay close to the original ? :) For the other characters, I simply used the colors I painted on Cabu at first as you can see in the video (when there was no other reference than the Cabu picture) but I was lacking some important tones so I decided (once again to work faster) to modify the colors of the photo references I got to make them match the Cabu Photo. I then imported them as references. But I have to say that This wasn't perfect because the colors weren't always close to the ones I started using. I made modifications on the go, changing Highlights intensity, unwanted colors, etc ... in order to have something that looked almost similar in terms of tones and lighting.
I usually first look for photos that show the expression I want and then look for other photos that show me different angles, lightings and colors. I got lucky that the ones that I chose for expressions had a fairly close lighting (even if I had to modify the contrasts). Making the colors to match was a little more tricky.

I hope this answer all your questions ! ;)

vandra
03-11-2015, 08:22 PM
Wow. I love your drawings and your style. Very professional work
I'm afraid I'm just one of those hobbyist doodlers. I missed the boat to art college when I left school in "the olden days"and then didn't do anything at all for many many years, but I still like to fiddle and doodle. How wonderful for you to have such talent!
Thanks so much for sharing the videos.

pat1940
03-13-2015, 09:51 AM
Welcome, so glad to have you here and see your wonderful drawing, hope to see lots more

YoannLori
04-08-2015, 10:04 PM
vandra : Thanks a lot ! I draw since the age of 5/6 years old and was lucky that my parents encouraged me to fulfill my passion. :) I have a job that takes most of my time and din't draw for pretty long period of time but decided to get back to it ... and I'm glad I did. It's never too late ! ;)

pat1940 : Thank you very much for this comment ! I'm willing to do a lot more ! :)

Today I'm going back to tv series caricatures with Kit Harington/Jon Snow from Game of Thrones.

BushcraftOnFire
04-09-2015, 06:20 AM
Thanks so much for these! As a fellow caricature artist.. I LOVE your work.. Please check your inbox

David

D Akey
04-09-2015, 07:10 AM
One of the things that is always impressed me so much about your work, is your balance between the overall impact upon first seeing the image, and then all the marvelous detail. I never feel like you've held back on seeking that reality through the illusion of a two-dimensional painting. I can look closely anywhere on the canvas and feel like you've been there before me with complete awareness of what's going to live in that particular spot. There's nothing there that pulls me out of believing what you're telling me that exists for real. And of course it does really live within the universe of your pictures. It's almost as if Pinocchio's siblings stand a really good chance to become a real boy or girl. Bravo!

Delofasht
04-09-2015, 07:32 AM
Your work is absolutely stunning and I'm really pleased to see this level of finish in this software as I was led to believe that this program was made for sketching and not finished products like these. Thank you for sharing your wonderful work and showing us all just what is possible with this tool (ArtRage). I'll definitely be following your work closely to see what I can learn, and hopefully you don't mind my asking questions from time to time as I think of them.

- Delo

YoannLori
04-09-2015, 08:29 AM
BushcraftOnFire : Thank you so much ! Your message has been answered. ;)

D Akey : Thanks a lot my friend ! :) In fact I've tried to leave so areas unfinished several times ... I just can't, simply because for me every detail is part of the character and is important, every little scar, skin pore , wrinkles, etc.. has a story behind it and I just can't leave that behind. ;)

Delofasht : Thank you very much ! I have to say it took me a while to figure out how I could get this result with ArtRage. I used to work with Photoshop and and the difference between these two softwares was a bit disturbing at first but I kept trying cause I knew I could do nice things with ArtRage.

Caesar
04-10-2015, 01:05 AM
Exceptional. Not only the finish which is extraordinary, but also the caricatural distortion which keeps a perfect likeness!:eek::cool::D:D:D:D:D:D:D

YoannLori
04-10-2015, 09:14 PM
Thank you very much Caesar ! ;)

justjean
04-11-2015, 03:37 AM
What a wonderful lot of faces, your work is outstanding and as I have read 3 of the Thrones books (soon to get 4 and 5 ) I developed in my minds eyes their features so it is very interesting to see your characters develop :)

YoannLori
04-17-2015, 11:29 PM
Thank you very much justjean. You shouldn't be disapointed with the nex one because it is also a Game of Thrones character.

Today I bring you Joffrey Baratheon played by Jack Gleeson.
Done with ArtRage in 10 hours.

Caesar
04-17-2015, 11:43 PM
Ahahah, You really put in evidence his features as well as his psychopathic attitude! ;):cool: Great!

YoannLori
04-18-2015, 12:10 AM
Thanks Caesar ! Isn't he adorable ? :)

Caesar
04-18-2015, 12:26 AM
Indeed he is! He's so cute that I should refrain from hugging him too warmly thus possibly either crushing of choking him!:o;)LOL

D Akey
04-18-2015, 06:35 AM
That settles it. I have to watch Game of Thrones if for no other reason than to keep up with the painters or portraits and caricatures in this forum. Exquisite. I also love the proportions. Heavy weighs the crown, eh? It's always a delight seeing your pictures even when I have no idea about the person you're portraying. They stand well on their own and there's so much to appreciate in the painting. And in my head, looking at that petulant mouth, I have a voice that comes to my mind, though probably nothing like the actor's. High and annoyed and very spoiled.

Again, well done indeed!

YoannLori
06-09-2015, 02:08 AM
Caesar and D Akey : Many thanks (late as usual) for your comments !!! D Akey, did you start watching this tv show ?

Here is a new character from it.

Maisie Williams as Arya Stark. I hope you like it !

screenpainter
06-09-2015, 03:45 AM
Albert my husband died March 10th, 2015. ArtRage did a page on him week's ago.

Caesar
06-09-2015, 08:22 PM
Just perfect once again, dear YoannLori!

Unfortunately we learned of this terrible news, Mrs Root, and I'm sure You could find how it deeply struck us too.
I can hardly figure out how sad this was for You who had the privilege to be with him personally, but pls accept my humble and most heartfelt condolences. Albert is missing but somehow also someway else alive too here, in his artworks, posts as well and even more, in our memory, feelings and mind, certainly not in a foreven frozen past.

YoannLori
06-10-2015, 12:02 AM
Mrs Root,

I wasn't aware that this tragedy happened and I am terribly sorry for your loss. My most sincere condolences !
I didn't get to know you husband very well as I am a fairly new ArtRage user and not as active as I'd like to in this forum, but he wrote me a very kind comment in this very thread. as far as I can tell he was very involved and helpful in the ArtRage community. He will be deeply missed but his creations will remain and we will remember him.

Caesar, thanks for your comment about my work. For the other matter, I couldn't agree more.

D Akey
06-10-2015, 12:36 PM
Ah, no, I haven't seen Game of Thrones. Can't believe it. I must be the only one on the planet who hasn't. I subscribe to Amazon Prime, but Game of Thrones is not one of the featured series without paying extra. So I watch what is available.

It certainly seems to be rich fuel for paintings and flavorful characters. And again you have plucked one of them off the vine for your showcase. Brilliant! Always love your work. It really is quite consistently masterful. Bravo! Can't wait to see what the next ones will be. . . or who the next subjects will become.

D Akey
06-10-2015, 12:41 PM
Albert my husband died March 10th, 2015. ArtRage did a page on him week's ago.

I agree. Very sad and surprising. When he was posting openly in the gallery a lot here many years ago I always enjoyed his comments. But alas, I was out of touch with him for many years. It touches me to hear such fond remembrances from so many and that he was very active doing things he loved.

My heartfelt condolences.

YoannLori
07-09-2015, 12:36 AM
Hi everyone !

For today's caricature, I will stick with the Game of Thrones characters. Here is Tywin Lannister played by Charles Dance ! Completed in 13 hours.

As you can see with the ignatures, the last two caricatures were not exactly 'recent' ones but never posted before instead ! I' am actually working on private commissions and don't have time to make 'fresh' ones. So I post those I kept hidden for a while. :)

Enug
07-09-2015, 12:53 AM
Wow! What more can I say? :)

justjean
07-09-2015, 02:05 AM
Thank you for bringing to life Arya, Joffrey and Tywin in all their glory. Keep your wonderful paintings coming while I await book 6 :D

Caesar
07-09-2015, 07:41 PM
13 hours is pretty fast for such an unbelievable accuracy. Moreover the "deformation" is just exceptionally executed. Sheer delight for me!

YoannLori
10-01-2015, 10:11 PM
Sorry for the very very late answers ...

Enug : Thanks a lot !!!

justjean : Here is a new one (I'm working on another character from the show and plan to draw some others)

Caesar : 13 hours means more than 2 weeks for me as I work only one hour/day on my caricatures and only on labor days, so I find it pretty long to finish it ! :)

Today, I bring you Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister. Completed in 9 hours.

D Akey
10-01-2015, 11:36 PM
Your technique, as ever, is flawless. I always wonder if the people you caricature could ever be offended by making them look grotesque. At the same time, these are brilliant exaggerations and distortions that very much resemble the subject. It's very strange to look at. But you're so darn good at it. I was going to be doing a caricature of my mom and step-dad, but I'm a little leery of possibly offending them, and that would be the last thing I would ever want to do. Have you ever considered the subject not liking how you were to make them look?

Anyway, what can I say. These are super.

YoannLori
10-02-2015, 01:33 AM
Thanks a lot for your comment D Akey !

For this particular one, I had a brief moment of hesitation before start, but I figured he would probably want to be treated like the rest of the cast.
If celebrities happened to see my caricatures about them, I'm pretty sure some of them won't like it, even if I'm trying not to be mean to the subject when I draw. This might seem weird to you but I don't make them for others to laugh about it. When I draw them I'm only trying to show what is unique about each of them so I just make their specific features more visible.
I know these caricature will make some laugh and I'm happy about it but it is not my first motivation.
About what celebs can think about their caricatures, I will add that self mockery is something everyone should understand, but I understand it may not be easy sometimes.
I personally love to see my face distorted.

Caesar
10-02-2015, 03:51 AM
I know there's a lot of work and skills in each of this masterpiece and if there's one single reason why I would never even get close to Your quality, dear friend, it's because of the patience and process care You certainly use and display (to tell the truth my shortcomings are more than just those ones looking at Your artpieces :oLOL). So congratulations for Your unattainable mastery and artistic talent once more and for sharing .
As for liking or not or getting offended by a caricature topic, as introduced by DAkey, I must say that I may perhaps understand a caricature may bother a little someone's self-esteem or even be surreptitiously provocative when such an expression of freedom has a content of petty teasing or degrading with reference to the human respect always due to the "victim", i.e. for sheer wickedness (which is not at all and never the case here), but generally people who keeps stiff and doesn't appreciate are quite narcissistic ones. Anyway, rather than look childishly offended, we'd better make recourse to a most used trick, that of saying that likeness is poor even when it's quite evident to anyone else the contrary (deny evidence strategy). The most narcissistic person are absolutely successful at that. ;):o

damasocl
10-02-2015, 09:53 AM
Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful...:);):o
You are a really master in this jobs...
Congratulations.

JOSEPHINE.EARP
10-02-2015, 10:27 AM
Wow!! what can I say, Brilliant for 1. I wish I had your talent, I am hopeless at drawing the human form. Welcolm and I hope you will let us share your wonderful talent for long into the future.Best wishes Jo xx

justjean
10-02-2015, 10:31 AM
a pure pleasure to view your art, YoannLori . Keep them coming :)

BushcraftOnFire
10-03-2015, 06:31 AM
Great work Yoann.. I saw these on FB yesterday and wanted to comment.. but my computer was acting up.. LOL! You are an inspiration to me (and have been for a long while) in the area of caricatures.. Well done!!

YoannLori
10-06-2015, 12:35 AM
Thanks for your comment Caesar. I totally agree with you ! ;)

damasocl : Thank you very much ! :)

JOSEPHINE.EARP : Thanks a lot ! Hours and hours of works were needed before I could draw like I do and, to my point of view, there is still room for improvment. If drawing the human figure is what you want, you have to keep practicing. Never give up ! ;)

justjean : Thanks a lot ! :)

BushCraftOnFire : Thanks a lot for this comment !!! Really glad that you enjoy my work ! If you follow me on facebook, then you have already seen the one I'm about to show! ;)

Today's caricature is the one of Lena Headey as Cersei in the tv show Game of Thrones.
This one is a combination of no less than 6 different references. Done with ArtRage in about 11 hours. I'm pretty happy with the result, so let's hope you'll like it too !

Caesar
10-06-2015, 02:13 AM
This one really gives us the measure of Your talent! A nice lady is harder to turn into a resembling caricature, but make what is a top beauty in the Game of Thrones series look almost by proper distortion and emphasising her expression is sheer genius!;):D:D:D:D:D:D

eighty+
10-06-2015, 03:47 AM
Hi Yoann tis I :D:D Eighty Ploos I've saved the last 3 I will try Charlie Dance but will be dodgy on the colour ok the over two just to look at congrats

Fantastic work CIAO HASTA LA VISTA IVAYA CON DIOS SLAINTE ......................POZDRAWSKI:cool::cool::cool:

D Akey
10-06-2015, 07:38 AM
You're caricatures are amazing. If I can make a comparison with comedians who do impersonations on stage of celebrities, this reminds me a of that.

For as long as I can remember, from when I was a boy watching the many television variety shows that were popular when I was growing up, clever impressionists were always my favorite acts. I found myself pulled in to a vision and wanting to play along with my own attempts at doing John Wayne or James Cagney. I was way more passive watching acrobats or musical bands or even most stand-up comics.

The stand-up comics that I did marvel at were the ones who in some way exaggerated real life where they pointed out something which they often exaggerated until it became disproportionately large and when done right was hysterical. But great impressionists were consistently my favorite.

Very clever what you do. You create a game for us, of playing with perception. It's in the category which goes with making faces to get a child to chuckle. . . It's sort of a very early game we experienced in life, only owing to the level you've taken it to, for the adult it taps into that playfulness that was more accessible as a child. Very cool.

YoannLori
10-07-2015, 03:27 AM
Thanks a lot Caesar ! I had a really hard time caricaturing women when I starting practicing that 'art', but the more you try and the easier it gets ! ;)

Thank you very much Eighty + ! I'm glad my work inspires you ! :)

D Akey : Thanks a lot for this comment ! I'm glad my work can bring this kind of feelings ! ;)

Here is an image showing the references I used for my latest caricature.

Caesar
10-07-2015, 03:36 AM
Good to see how You work, as for Your references. I guess a good enough resolution may be helpful too, but You cannot find hi-rel pictures on the web sometimes ... so I'm sure Your expertise plays a major role too to fille the "gaps". The greatest skill You have, I think, is possibly the way you set up an extreme, but still fully ccredible and resembling distortion of face and expression.

eighty+
10-07-2015, 05:45 AM
Hi Yoann I meant to ask you Do you Portrait Work as looking at Caricaturing and the detail U would be at ease Doing them and have plenty of Clients ok CIAO

BushcraftOnFire
10-07-2015, 11:33 AM
You have any Youtubes Yoann? WOuld love to see you teach a bit of these skills you have acquired!

D Akey
10-07-2015, 11:25 PM
Wow! Thanks for posting the elements from which you composited your own image. Very clever. The surgery was successful, doctor. Well played!

I find it intriguing which palette you chose. That's a bit of a stretch for you, or is it? Didn't you use the photos in the past as palettes? These are quite diverse and seems to have added another element of skill to make it feel as if they were all from the same source photo. Really skillful. It's always a treat to see the process and the thinking that went into any given successful painting. And yours are consistently quite successful.

YoannLori
10-14-2015, 12:58 AM
Looks like I missed all of your messages ... :/

Caesar : Thanks a lot ! I did find some Hi res pictures that helped a lot ! ;) Hopefully, there are more of them nowadays

eighty+ : I do portraits from time to time when I'm asked, but I prefer by far doing caricatures ! ;)

BushcraftOnFire : I do have a Youtube channel. As a matter of fact I'll post a video of Lena Headey in this very comment ! But my videos are just timelapses. Nothing is really explained. I've been asked several times to do tutorials. I guess I'll have to do one in the future ! ;)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnR0Wo5AoTSmVnjQB7Vh_FA/videos

D Akey : I mix different references from time to time. In these cases, I choose only one of the photos as a palette. In the case of Lena Headey, it is the one I used for the body (the one that is seen in the video) That's a bit harder because I have to think about how the light works with volumes that are not in the original pictures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOaXvlr-KHM

Caesar
10-15-2015, 12:21 AM
Thank You, dear Yoann! I enjoyed very much Your movie and observed You work with the tonal palette on each hue. I cannot appreciate very well if You make recourse also to stickers or other features and all the tools You use, but I'll give a slower and more accurate look nextly to learn from whatever I can spot.

YoannLori
10-15-2015, 01:03 AM
The airbrush tool is the only tool I use ... for now ! ;)

D Akey
10-15-2015, 08:42 AM
Joann, do you print your work? What is the size and ppi of the canvases you make in Artrage? I'm looking for that optimal size.

I got some answers in the tips and tricks section where I asked about giclee printing.

https://forums.artrage.com/showthread.php?50048-Resolution-to-work-at-without-bogging-down-AR

But since you look like you probably print owing to the demand for your work I would guess, I'm curious about what size and ppi you're working at.

YoannLori
10-15-2015, 09:57 AM
D Akey : As a matter of fact I printed some of my caricatures for the first time this year as I participated to my my first caricature festival ! :) I have to say I didn't sell many ! :D

My canvas are A3 format (42 x 29.7 cm) at 300 dpi. My charlie Hebdo caricature was painted at the same size as the others and was printed in A2 format (59.4 x 42 cm). The result looked great ! :)

D Akey
10-15-2015, 10:33 AM
D Akey : As a matter of fact I printed some of my caricatures for the first time this year as I participated to my my first caricature festival ! :) I have to say I didn't sell many ! :D

That's no reflection on your skill, believe me. It's just a matter of building your following and/or finding a market that uses your art. But any time you get visible it's a benefit.

My canvas are A3 format (42 x 29.7 cm) at 300 dpi. My charlie Hebdo caricature was painted at the same size as the others and was printed in A2 format (59.4 x 42 cm). The result looked great ! :)

Thank you for this. And thanks to the internet for having conversion pages from cm. to inches. You may be interested to know that metrics are gradually slipping into the USA. My health care people are all using metrics now. This affects me more than you. But it's one of those mysteries how there were different measurement standards. But this is passing. Just don't ask me what my weight is in metrics. I have no idea.

I remember reading lots of art books where all the painting measurements were in cm. That was of no use to me at the time. Like I said, now on the computer, it's easy to find out.

YoannLori
10-15-2015, 08:42 PM
We only use the metric system in France, so I'm not really familiar with the inches. Well ... I spent one year in the U.S. so I know My height in feet and inches but that's about it ! :D
1 inch should be 2.54 cm.
As you say, thanks to the internet ! I found the exact inches measurments for the A3 format : 16.53 x 11.69 inches. A2 is 23.39 x 16.53 inches.

Caesar
10-15-2015, 10:28 PM
Ahahaha, ;) it was such a fun to read of all the mess about the measurement units and the conversion factors!
As an (former) engineer I had quite a few conversion troubles in the past converting from or to "anglo-saxons" units, but as long as the more coherent and self consistent International Metrics System substituted local systems or penetrated into more and more countries and any kind of electronics device appeared, I saw problems progressively and magically disappear or decrease, just like countries driving on the wrong side ;):oLOL
Nonethess it's always interesting to know of any ancient or local measure unit, since it says very much about that place, its tradition or culture, what was important, the rational behind that choice etc. We would not be human beings if we were not able to measure, I guess, with all the benefifts this faculty provide and some possible drawback. :rolleyes:;)
So I still keep, for instance, my old pocket Engineer Manual which used to be the appendix of any whatsoever engineer here and it's really fun to discover there and on subsequent research that here in Italy, little more than a century ago and later on in many cases, there were practically almost as many different metrics systems as regions for any quantity connected to agriculture or fishing or breeding.

YoannLori
10-27-2015, 02:08 AM
In case some of you were wondering what kind of enlargement could be made with the canvas size I use ...

This was displayed right outside of the french comics festival 'Quai des Bulles' located in Saint Malo.

D Akey
10-27-2015, 02:51 AM
Wow! C'est Magnifique! Formidable.

That's fantastic. And also thanks for the demonstration of enlarging your work. The scale is powerful. Will later look great in an office as a memento or souvenir, and certainly shows your skill. Bravo! and thanks.

:):):):):):cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::):):):):)

Caesar
10-27-2015, 03:29 AM
C'est incroyable! Vos caricatures caricatures semblent presque plus réeles que des vraies personnes! :eek::cool:

YoannLori
03-08-2016, 01:30 AM
It's been a while since the last time I posted here.
First my apologies to D Akey and Caesar for not replying. I thank you both so much (better later than never) ! :)

First I'd like to show you a traditional portrait I did for my sister and representing my nephew. This was done with color pencils on A3 paper.

I also continued working with ArtRage of course and tried using the paintbrush this time. I experimented on David Bowie.

Caesar
03-08-2016, 01:42 AM
No problem at all, dear Yoann. I can testify also in front of a court of Your extreme kindness everytime.
I'm speechless and keep "jawdropped" in front of Your mastery when looking at Your nephew's portrait made with pencils. I'm aware it requires an incredible talent for drawing and properly hatching for defining curves and getting subtle mixes to get the right color and tone. I think this is possibly the most impressive show of artistic capabilities. BTW, what's the sheet size of such a masterpiece?
Obviously, as a really complete and endowed professional, Your painting and brushwork skills are quite evidently super as well.

YoannLori
03-08-2016, 02:11 AM
Thanks a lot for forgiving me and for your very kind comment Caesar ! :)

The paper size is 42 x 29,7 cm or 16,53 X 11,69 inches. It took 17 hours to complete this drawing.

Caesar
03-08-2016, 03:30 AM
Thanks a lot for forgiving me and for your very kind comment Caesar ! :)

The paper size is 42 x 29,7 cm or 16,53 X 11,69 inches. It took 17 hours to complete this drawing.

Thank You, dear Yoann! Practically a standard A3, isn't it?

byroncallas
03-08-2016, 05:49 AM
Wonderful work.

pat1940
03-08-2016, 06:08 AM
Yoann, it is wonderful to see you back here, I love your art work, it is so beautiful and what a fantastic drawing, I admire your talent so much

D Akey
03-08-2016, 07:26 AM
Yeah. Spectacular stuff. Interesting that you've gone for a pencil style. Looks like it would make for a very cool children's book technique. You certainly amplified the expression just enough but not too exaggerated. Very nice subtlety.

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::):):):):):coo l::cool::cool::cool::cool:

jmac
03-08-2016, 09:20 AM
Yoann the portrait of your nephew is really nice. I especially like the hair. And Caesar is right to point out how beautifully you used hatching to shade the face.

Enug
03-08-2016, 01:56 PM
Such talent!

YoannLori
03-09-2016, 02:16 AM
That's exactly it Caesar ! ;)

byroncallas : thank you very much :

pat1940 : thanks a lot for such a nice comment !

D Akey : not sure if your talking about the traditional portrait or the digital caricature but thanks !!! :)

jmac : Thank you so much ! The crosshatch work may look nice but is very time consuming ! ;)

Enug : Thanks a lot !

D Akey
03-09-2016, 10:35 AM
D Akey : not sure if your talking about the traditional portrait or the digital caricature but thanks !!! :)

Talking about the pic of your nephew. All the hatching looks like colored pencil had it been done in traditional pencil -- at least to my eye. But my comment was more what you did with the expression and the overall effect being a good way to create a character with a jubilant personality for a children's series, though if you didn't see it, I suppose it wasn't your first intention in doing it. But just to draw your attention to a quality I saw in it that could well be pursued if it was any interest to you.

YoannLori
03-09-2016, 09:48 PM
Talking about the pic of your nephew. All the hatching looks like colored pencil had it been done in traditional pencil -- at least to my eye. But my comment was more what you did with the expression and the overall effect being a good way to create a character with a jubilant personality for a children's series, though if you didn't see it, I suppose it wasn't your first intention in doing it. But just to draw your attention to a quality I saw in it that could well be pursued if it was any interest to you.

The portrait of my nephew was made with real color pencils on real A3 paper. Don't know if I could get a similar result with ArtRage. Probably with the right settings but I thing it would take even longer than 17 hours to complete. I might try one day. ;)
About the portrait itself, it is a christmas gift for my sister. I didn't plan to do a whole series out of it. It was a bit complicated to bring my traditionnal stuff at the office and draw this on the corner of my desk. A bit painful I must say and I don't plan to do it again soon... but I might do one of my daughter one day !
To get his expression I had to mix two pictures in one as he had a kind of smirk on the main reference I wanted to use. I had to find another picture where he had a pretty natural smile. Not always easy to have kids look natural when staring at the camera ! :)

Anyway, here is a closeup of this drawing :

Caesar
03-09-2016, 10:05 PM
Form this zoom it looks like You merged wonderfully tinged shades (sfumato) and hatching (tratteggio) and You apparently used quite few colors. Maybe I'm wrong but a primary yellow, and ochre, an alizarin red, a burnt umber/ sepia and burnt Sienna made the most of the nuances and color tones. Maybe an indigo or a dark blue and a sap green pencils were used too ....
Actually it's more than a masterpiece, it's a color pencils use amazing tutorial!

YoannLori
03-10-2016, 02:09 AM
I'm amazed by the fact that you have found every color right, except for the primary yellow which is more of a yellow ochre in reality. The scan probably modified the colors slightly. Maybe I'll try to take a picture of the specific pencils I used for this portrait. ;)

Caesar
03-10-2016, 02:28 AM
I'm amazed by the fact that you have found every color right, except for the primary yellow which is more of a yellow ochre in reality. The scan probably modified the colors slightly. Maybe I'll try to take a picture of the specific pencils I used for this portrait. ;)

Eheheh, thank You, dear Yoann. Actually that ochre looked perhaps a little more brilliant than expected. The possibility to look at Your pencils set is a most kind offer indeed. Caran d'Ache, peut-etre?

YoannLori
03-11-2016, 09:46 PM
I used to have Caran D'Ache watercolor pencils and they were great ! There is still two Caran D'Ache in my set but the rest is Staedler. Not as good in my opinion. I'll get back to Caran D'Ache or maybe Faber Castell for my next set.

As promise here is a picture of every pencils I used for the portrait of my nephew. which colors I use the most seems pretty clear, isn't it ? ;)

D Akey
03-12-2016, 01:11 AM
The next logical step for a concept artist is to use a digital medium like ArtRage to paint your traditional materials - perhaps a trompe l'oeil digital portrait painting, or caricature in your case, of those same pencils and some oil paints squeezed onto a palette. An 'homage' of sorts bringing it all full circle.

Caesar
03-12-2016, 02:47 AM
I used to have Caran D'Ache watercolor pencils and they were great ! There is still two Caran D'Ache in my set but the rest is Staedler. Not as good in my opinion. I'll get back to Caran D'Ache or maybe Faber Castell for my next set.

As promise here is a picture of every pencils I used for the portrait of my nephew. which colors I use the most seems pretty clear, isn't it ? ;)

Thank You very much for the useful tips!

YoannLori
04-07-2016, 10:22 PM
Back today with a caricature of a famous french actor who passed away on the 4th of january this year. Here is Michel Galabru.

Caesar
04-07-2016, 11:01 PM
Back today with a caricature of a famous french actor who passed away on the 4th of january this year. Here is Michel Galabru.

May he rest in peace! In the meanwhile You certainly contributed to make him immortal with this unbelievably good caricature of him!

danny72
04-07-2016, 11:09 PM

89504 Impressive! Can't understand how you get the skinn look so real.

YoannLori
04-08-2016, 01:46 AM
Thanks a lot Caesar, but he didn't need my caricature to become immortal. He already was. ;)

Danny72 : time and patience is all you need ! :)

danny72
04-08-2016, 03:24 AM
Thanks a lot Caesar, but he didn't need my caricature to become immortal. He already was. ;)

Danny72 : time and patience is all you need ! :) I know! :-) I want to say,that it's great that you share your paintings with oss here,and on Facebook. That gives alot of inspiration to many others.

D Akey
04-08-2016, 05:18 AM
Interesting stylistic direction you have gone. I'm not the arbiter of taste, but it seems to me that all the texture of the pores is getting to be a little excessive thereby giving his skin a bloated plastic rather than fleshy look.

I don't know the person whatsoever, so it may be your comment on something about him where this quality is telling of his personality or what he's famous for. What I get from this is that he is someone like a successful gangland boss style criminal or politician who has gotten fat feeding off of others by pushing himself on them in an imposing way, almost like an invasion of privacy way (or an actor famous for playing that kind of role).

So if it's meant to be a favorable interpretation, it's not getting there for me, who can only look at the picture without knowing anything else about him but how you handle it.

Your skill as always is formidable. Now it's a matter of what you're intending to say.

YoannLori
04-08-2016, 08:10 PM
Interesting stylistic direction you have gone. I'm not the arbiter of taste, but it seems to me that all the texture of the pores is getting to be a little excessive thereby giving his skin a bloated plastic rather than fleshy look.

I don't know the person whatsoever, so it may be your comment on something about him where this quality is telling of his personality or what he's famous for. What I get from this is that he is someone like a successful gangland boss style criminal or politician who has gotten fat feeding off of others by pushing himself on them in an imposing way, almost like an invasion of privacy way (or an actor famous for playing that kind of role).

So if it's meant to be a favorable interpretation, it's not getting there for me, who can only look at the picture without knowing anything else about him but how you handle it.

Your skill as always is formidable. Now it's a matter of what you're intending to say.

If I didn't know the person and watch this caricature for the first time, I assume that's what I would feel. The saturated blue background would not fit with the drama feel of the actor's face. The reality is : he mostly played bad temper characters in comedy movies, often making a fool of himself. He rarely played serious roles. Nobody would fear his raised big eyebrows. He was a tender person hidden behind a falsely mean look. That's what I tried to show here.

About the skin rendering, I'm just trying to show the strokes a bit more. Maybe that's what make it look more 'plastic', or maybe the lighting is part of it too.

D Akey
04-10-2016, 05:34 AM
In that context it works perfectly because of the "fit to explode" as his reaction to stress that you gave him. He's sort of like being inflated to the breaking point like a balloon with some balloon "plastic". Well done! Thanks for the explanation. Makes perfect sense now.

And again, you have a very good style.

sabena
04-11-2016, 02:29 AM
I admire the people who make caricatures
well done:rolleyes:

YoannLori
04-11-2016, 07:44 PM
D Akey and sabena : Thanks to both of you for your comments ! :)

Trex 550 Pilot
04-30-2016, 12:48 PM
OMG, I love caricatures!! I've always wished I could learn to draw people and characters (and caricatures) like this! This is a really awesome drawing, such great detail and texture. LOVE IT!! :)

YoannLori
08-24-2016, 12:31 AM
Hi everyone,

It's been a while as I've been really busy(and I still am) with exciting projects I cannot talk about for the moment. I also was asked to to a tutorial/workshop for both ArtRage and ImagineFx magazine.
Here is the caricature of Natalie Dormer as Margaery Tyrell featured in the issue n° 139.

Mordred
08-24-2016, 01:11 AM
That's brilliant. Impressive work.

Also:

I also was asked to to a tutorial/workshop for both ArtRage (...)

Please do this.

YoannLori
08-24-2016, 01:19 AM
Please do this.

It has been done and is available in the issue n°139 of ImagineFX magazine. ;)

Here is a sneak preview (http://issuu.com/futurepublishing/docs/uni139.issuu/9?e=0/37819207).

sabena
08-24-2016, 08:40 AM
Fascinanting work i like very much:rolleyes:

D Akey
08-24-2016, 08:54 AM
That latest one is really funny. I love it. Hey, congrats on all the work and publicity. You certainly deserve it.

YoannLori
08-25-2016, 11:08 PM
sabena and D Akey : thanks a lot to both of you ! :)

Caesar
09-06-2016, 01:06 AM
It's her, of course, including the oblique, perhaps wry, kind of smile.
I didn't remind of her perfectly, so I checked ...
I see You preferred not to over-emphasize her eyes, not to distract from her mouth, right?

YoannLori
09-07-2016, 02:47 AM
Hi Caesar,

I did try to make her eyes bigger but it didn't look right. I actually did several takes before I got satisfied with the result. The specific smile is obviously her main feature. Thanks for you comment. ;)

YoannLori
05-03-2017, 11:26 PM
Hi everyone,

I am back today with two caricatures of french artists. A comedian and a musician/singer : Gad Elmaleh and Serge Gainsbourg.

I hope you'll like it !

D Akey
05-05-2017, 09:31 PM
First class all the way. I was hoping you were not getting rusty as I was concerned that you haven't posted in a while. However, I can see you're getting better if that's even possible. More dynamism I think. More feeling possibly. Your technique has always been great. But you're acting more perhaps? It's been a while and I can't recall. The last I remember was the tribute to that poor murdered artist group so you couldn't go too comedic with that. But these are really amusing.

Great stuff.

YoannLori
05-06-2017, 12:18 AM
Thanks a lot D Akey !

I didn't stop drawing but worked on several projects that I cannot talk about yet. I hope I will be able to show some of the stuff I did very soon ! :)
Thanks again for you comment. I try to put more emotions in my paintings, especially in that of Serge Gainsbourg. I tried to gather all the iconic stuff that defined him as a public figure (cigarettes, alcohol, music and women (in the smoke as the shape of the Gitane logo)) and put them in the canvas.

Daniel Aubert
05-07-2017, 02:18 AM
This is an amazing piece of work! It is very good to see Artrage spreading its arms more and more.

YoannLori
05-07-2017, 09:18 AM
Thank you very much Daniel. Artrage is a great program that I love using.

eighty+
05-08-2017, 10:37 PM
Hi Yoann I fancy haveing a go at your last two will it B ok ??? CIAO SLAINT