PDA

View Full Version : The Dreaded Tassie Devil

copespeak
05-15-2014, 06:53 PM
Australians love these crazy little guys. They have the most blood curdling voices you could image, they fight amongst each other like crazy, are marsupials with a pouch that goes backwards, carry their larger babies piled onto their backs underneath, hanging on to the teats. They have strong jaws that can munch through bone, love carrion, but sometimes hunt as well.

I have taken lots of photos of these little guys, but love this one from the net (Credit: Image courtesy of University of Adelaide). It shows his utter ferocity.

Sadly their habit of munching each other has spread a deadly facial tumour from animal to animal throughout much of Tasmania, and desperate efforts to save the healthy ones are underway.

Caesar
05-15-2014, 07:36 PM
I knew this little irascible chap as the Tasmanian devil. I like this painting and this species, the biggest remaining aboriginal marsupial predator after the last thylacine, the marsupial wolf, died in a zoo in the middle of last century, more or less.

coops
05-16-2014, 01:52 AM
He is very scarey but wonderfully painted:)

Alexandra
05-16-2014, 02:00 AM
Hey Robyn, great painting. I hope they can save these magnificent animals.

YoannLori
05-16-2014, 02:40 AM
Great painting. Love the nervous brushstrokes that goes with the attitude of your model ! ;)

Congrats

stevemawmv
05-16-2014, 04:30 AM
Always have liked these guys ever since seeing a 'Warner Bros. cartoon' with them as a child...I know...sounds wierd!
But it did make me interested in the animals down in your part of the world! Don't want to loose these guys.....
Take care friend,
Steve

MKROOT
05-16-2014, 04:37 AM
Great painting. :)

kenmo
05-16-2014, 04:54 AM
Very nice....

AndreaMG
05-16-2014, 06:01 AM
Splendid painting Dear Robyn. I googled it, funny thing is that in some photos they look real cute and all, but with the open mouth it's all another story, now I get where the "devil" comes from. What a sad story about their illness though.

copespeak
05-16-2014, 08:54 AM
Thank you all for having a look and commenting. It was a quickie, but fun to do. :)

Andrea, the noise they make is so uncute! It's like fingernails down a blackboard!

Steve, I do remember that crazy cartoon. We do have lots of unusual critters in Oz, which are mostly marsupials. Nothing like giving birth to a 'jelly baby' sized infant which crawls up to a pouch! :)

Caesar, you are well versed on the thylacine! I have a wonderful 80+ year old friend who is totally engrossed in finding one before he departs this world. Sadly I don't like his chances, but there are vast tracts of dense forest in Tasmania, who knows what lurks in there!

D Akey
05-16-2014, 01:55 PM
Yeah. . . I have an electric pencil sharpener of one of these Tazmanian Devils. It's designed after Loony Tunes' Taz where he spins like a dust witch. And so you put your pencil in his mouth (G-Rated here), and with those choppers he gives you back a very sharp pencil. So they do fill the niche in the Eco-system, evolutionarily designed for sharpening pencils. Every artist should have one. Just look at that willingness as seen in this pose.

Oh, and they may want to make sure that the facial tumors aren't just marks from pencils that missed the hole.

Nice painting. Great attitude.

pai
05-16-2014, 05:20 PM
I really like this style of drawing you did the last one and this one, Robyn. This one reminds me the movie, Grizzly Man. An awesome photographer of this animal, big bear. And sadly he died in the hand of his beloved animal, but , I think he won't feel any regrets. Beautiful drawing. I really like it a lot the bear's character you have drawn it out. ! :)

copespeak
05-16-2014, 05:36 PM
Ahaha! An evolutionarily designed pencil sharpener Mr Akey? I love it.

Pai, he is a very little bear 'type' (of sorts). He's actually the size of a fat cat and a marsupial.

I do remember that man who died from his bear. Sadly a lot of these people think that the thin veneer of civilisation will stop them from reverting to a wild animal, and they pay the price.