PDA

View Full Version : Exolandscapes - updated 5/30/14

acd
05-09-2014, 01:42 AM
Two new ones from me. AR & PS...

A.80859

D Akey
05-09-2014, 03:38 AM
Very nice stuff. Thanks for posting these. You've got it seamless. It might be easy to spot where it was painted but not at this resolution. Very smooth.

In the olden days of yore, matte paintings were surprisingly loosely painted -- or let's just say it was looser than it looked on screen. Now with high definition and all that, combined with the ability to use and combine photos and manipulate them, it's really raised the bar. Looks great!

acd
05-09-2014, 03:59 AM
That's so true. The old film grain really served to hide some really loose brushwork. The classic for this is the 'warehouse' shot at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark. Take a look at the painting - http://vashivisuals.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Michael-Pangrazio_Raiders2_LARGE.jpg it's amazing that this held up so well on screen.

I've always worked digitally, but even that has moved so fast. Just a few years ago I was working on 1024 pixel wide images. Nowadays 8000 pixels is becoming routine, and more often than not is beng projected onto 3D geometry for complex camera-moves etc. The days of being able to get-away with imperfect images is long gone...

A

pai
05-09-2014, 10:52 AM
I really like matte painting you did. Really want to learn how to do it. Do I really need Photoshop to do it. Can I do all in Artrage ? It's such beautiful imagination places :) Wish to see more. :)

copespeak
05-09-2014, 11:31 AM
Both your landscapes are wonderful acd. They really give the feeling of being in another world, yet are beautiful vistas in their own right. Excellent!

acd
05-09-2014, 08:54 PM
I really like matte painting you did. Really want to learn how to do it. Do I really need Photoshop to do it. Can I do all in Artrage ? It's such beautiful imagination places :) Wish to see more. :)

Pai: you absolutely CAN do this in Artrage. I use Photoshop partly because I have been using it for so long that it feels comfortable, and because it does make some processes a little easier. For professional use, Photoshop will always be part of my toolkit, but for personal projects, Artrage does everything you need. I always use Artrage for all the painted elements in my scenes, even though I could do it in Phtoshop, as the AR brush tools just feel so much more intuitive to me.

A.

vandra
05-09-2014, 09:51 PM
Wow! Awesome paintings. I love the way you've done this!

acd
05-09-2014, 10:44 PM
Thank you :-)

Another one from the same project:

A

Caesar
05-09-2014, 11:51 PM
You certainly display a high professional quality and talent as well as an impressive know-how of "tricks" in Your quiver ....

acd
05-10-2014, 03:14 AM
One more...

MKROOT
05-10-2014, 03:53 AM
Wonderful landscape :)

gxhpainter2
05-10-2014, 07:04 AM
these are all very imaginative worlds, very realistic and you have put us on other planets, without all the mess and fuss of sub-light travel...:cool:

silvy
05-11-2014, 10:34 PM
Wonderful landscapes. :)

D Akey
05-12-2014, 08:17 AM
Makes me want to check my oxygen tanks at this altitude. Spectacular and certainly rare views, like rare gems. Well depicted indeed.

coops
05-12-2014, 10:37 PM
These are all wonderful, well done:)

acd
05-13-2014, 02:34 AM
Thank you everyone for such nice words :-)

Another one attached...

A80921

Caesar
05-13-2014, 08:31 PM
These are from some sort of airplane flying on one of Saturn satellites and a seaworld! Magnificent views!

acd
05-13-2014, 10:06 PM
Thank you.

Just for interest, here's the before and after shots - the SketchUp wireframe, before doing the paint-over in AR and Photoshop...

acd
05-14-2014, 04:01 AM
One more...

D Akey
05-14-2014, 04:38 AM
So is this mostly photo splicing into place and using AR to hide the splices and maybe fill in gaps?

So generally, this looks like you're working creating special effects shots for the models to fly through? Or are they just beauty shots to establish a mood? Do you work over much terrain mapping? Or establishing key areas for closer shots for other people to follow?

I have no idea what the computer can't do any longer convincingly. What your stuff looks like is that there's a heavy use of photography splicing. And AR is there to make it seamless and maybe fill in some gaps? What I mean is, how much do you do with AR for this?

Fascinating and it begs the technical questions when the results are so good. Well done.

acd
05-14-2014, 09:30 AM
Thank you. To answer your question, the amount of painting varies from piece to piece. As an example the painting above with the astronaut: the sky and clouds are a composite of three photos. The astronaut and camera is a 3D element. The outcrop that they are standing on is painted in AR. The hillside with the 'alien plant life' began as a photo which I painted over to refine the shape. The plants themselves are entirely AR painted on 4 layers. Highlights on the clouds are airbrushed in AR to give them more 'punch' than was in the original photo. All these elements are colour-corrected in Photoshop, which is where I also add the lens flares and a little blur. On average, I'd say my work is about 60% / 40% painting / photo, but this varies a lot from piece to piece.

These are all personal works, produced for a website I'm developing: www.someothersun.com

A.

kenmo
05-15-2014, 06:55 AM
Awesome work...love how you integrate Sketchup models into your painted images...

acd
05-15-2014, 11:39 PM
Thankyou Kenmo.

One more from the series...

coops
05-16-2014, 02:51 AM
Wonderful additions, well done:)

YoannLori
05-16-2014, 03:28 AM
Really great work ! Congrats !

pai
05-16-2014, 06:42 PM
Pai: you absolutely CAN do this in Artrage. I use Photoshop partly because I have been using it for so long that it feels comfortable, and because it does make some processes a little easier. For professional use, Photoshop will always be part of my toolkit, but for personal projects, Artrage does everything you need. I always use Artrage for all the painted elements in my scenes, even though I could do it in Phtoshop, as the AR brush tools just feel so much more intuitive to me.

A.

Thanks for letting me know. Haha, it's easier for you. I can't tell how you combined the photo and Artrage/Photoshop to create matte paintings. I remembered those past posts in the past from you, I like those a lot, more like digital paintins. These few ones more like photos. And they have different feel. So you meant I can just use Artrage to finish a matte painting landscape scenery ? If that's true, that will be cool, I only know Artrage :P Well , not fully since the Pro came out.

acd
05-16-2014, 09:09 PM
Yes, you certainly can do this entirely in ArtRage - I only use Photoshop because I am very familiar with it, and can do some things a little more quickly that way.

For this particular project I wanted a more photo-real look. This IS achievable with traditional media ..... .....but I'm just not that good! :-)

Don't forget that until quite recently movie matte paintings were produced using oil and acrylic paints onto sheets of glass. Using only Artrage would be closer to that way of working. The results that the traditional matte-painters produced were amazing. Take a look here: http://vimeo.com/10563431

So I'd say yes, go for it - and be sure to post your results here :-)

A.

byroncallas
05-17-2014, 02:19 AM
This is a wonderful, informative thread illustrating your wonderful art and your composite digital methods for getting from A to Z. I'm subscribing, hoping you'll continue to a discussion on the how that gets to your what. :)

D Akey
05-17-2014, 03:44 AM
I love this last one. Great atmospheric effect. Makes me really wonder about the chemical make-up of the atmosphere. It looks so agreeable to human bodies. Yet he's wrapped up in his suit. Really great visuals! You gotta love lens flares for verisimilitude.

((( You're fast to read this. Oops. I deleted that part but not in time. I was worried you would be insulted. But since you seem open (phew!) Yeah, a quick revisit: On the other site there's a painting with a cast shadow from a moon onto a larger moon or planet that doesn't quite work lighting-wise in that the light source seems more at an angle and is thus inconsistent with how the shadow falls. I could see that to cast it at a longer angle that it would present compositional problems breaking up the integrity of the horizon from the planet we're on looking at it. Anyway, now that you're going back to it, I'm sure you'll get it. I think it'll pay off. And I personally understand the agony of working out certain visual challenges. Go Man Go!!!!!!!! )))

acd
05-17-2014, 03:51 AM
Ahhh - you spotted that moon shadow thing.... :o You are right of course - the shadow isn't technically accurate. I agonised over that one for ages, and in the end opted for something that 'read' correctly, even if it wasn't accurate. Based on your observations, I'll re-visit that one and see if there is a way to resolve it without abusing the laws of physics :-)

A

acd
05-23-2014, 12:20 AM
Latest piece...

Caesar
05-23-2014, 01:11 AM
I love Your fantastic, uncanny world made of likelyhood, realistic evocations and weird compositions.

YoannLori
05-23-2014, 01:36 AM
Great work once again.
I would just have a crit concerning the moon. Considering its position it should be "C" shaped as it is normally closer to us than the sun. the way you represented it would mean that the moon is at the same distance than the sun from us or even further, making it a really huge planet.

D Akey
05-23-2014, 03:59 AM
Thrilling. I feel like these places really exist and I'm right in there experiencing it through an astronaut's helmet. . . I wonder what the aspect ratio of a helmet would be -- perhaps this widescreen is more like looking through a medieval jouster's helmet. But that's not your doing. Heh. :D:D:D Just love the realism for this kind of assisted fantasy. Gotta love the movies. Great technique. :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

gxhpainter2
05-23-2014, 04:24 AM
fantastic world's , and so convincingly realistic without that starkness most "space-scapes" have. more lyrical and evocative. I found the description of your workflow very interesting. I love the interaction of ArtRage, Photoshop , and photographs... in my mind that was a stroke of genius and marketability ( of the ArtRage team ) for ArtRage is its ability to work and save in .psd format..

coops
05-23-2014, 11:49 PM
Beautiful, beautiful work:)

acd
05-24-2014, 02:47 AM
Thank you Coops :-)

Here's one I've just finished...

A

acd
05-30-2014, 10:23 PM
Another new one from me... :-)

A81246