PDA

View Full Version : My first portrait - Finished I think!

Enug
04-16-2014, 01:51 AM
Painted with oilbrush - my first try at portrait painting - subject is my 17yr old granddaughter. I outlined a photo and picked the colours from the reference photo. As usual the background presented a problem. I ended up using a decorative paper from the ArtRage collection.

I'm toying with the idea of printing on canvas so I would appreciate any advice on improving the painting, especially a suitable background. I'm including the orig photo so you can see what I was trying to capture. The original was small so I enlarged it - hence the poor quality.

justjean
04-16-2014, 03:39 AM
Very nice, you can try using some of the colours from the painting blended into the b/g

Enug
04-16-2014, 01:02 PM
Thank you - I'll try that. :)

Marilyn Anne
04-16-2014, 01:26 PM
A lovely girl. I think even though the edge of her cheek and forehead are blurry in the photograph I would sharpen up the lines in the painting.

hildee
04-16-2014, 04:28 PM
Well done! I so admire people that do portraiture.

Enug
04-16-2014, 06:16 PM
Thank you both for your comments - I think I need to work on the eyes also.

Enug
04-16-2014, 07:47 PM
I've worked on the image a bit more.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff85/enug66/ArtRage/Karly01_zpsf3edc9fe.png

vandra
04-16-2014, 11:58 PM
I think this is a great painting & you've certainly captured your Granddaughter!

Enug
04-17-2014, 02:07 PM
Thanks so much. The eyes are bothering me. I will practice more on these. Thanks to everyone who made suggestions.

Caesar
04-17-2014, 07:07 PM
You made a perfect reproduction of her features in this portrait. I would just suggest to work more on the background so as not to make the portrait look a little like a sticker on top of it.

silvy
04-18-2014, 05:15 AM
Very lovely painting:)
In the background you may shade a bit on the right side and follow the advice of Caesar.
To me, in the eyes, a touch of light will make them more alive

Enug
04-18-2014, 04:58 PM
Thank you both for your suggestions - I will try to improve the background - which is always a problem for me. And the eyes - I agree, they look dull and some lights could be the answer. I guess I was slavishly trying to follow the photo and didn't think to add to it. :confused:

Enug
04-19-2014, 06:23 PM
Thanks to all who gave me advice. I am happy with this final outcome tho I still want to tweak it. Your comments and suggestions helped me reach a point where I am much more satisfied with the image.

hildee
04-19-2014, 09:30 PM
The eyes are bothering me.

I believe the eyes need to be brought in a bit on the outside edges (side of the face), if you compare with the photo. They're a little too big. This is just what I see, I certainly can't pretend to be good at portraits, for me they're difficult :)

Enug
04-20-2014, 01:51 AM
Thanks Hildee - yes I have thought that the eyes are too big but i'm not skilled enough to remedy it.:confused: I have spent much of the afternoon working on them and think they look better than my first attempt. I think I will have to be content with what I have achieved and hope to do better next time.

I appreciate your comment.

BTW I also painted from the photo using the tracing and trace colours function and it looks quite nice but while I enjoy painting that way for fun and also to learn - I feel there is a 'cheating' element there. I wonder what the consensus is on painting using the colours that way. Feedback anyone?

justjean
04-20-2014, 02:49 AM
Looks great, I was thinking more of taking the colours from the painting and not from the b/g of the photo :D

silvy
04-20-2014, 03:58 AM
Much better:) Great work on eyes and on bg too.
On colors I agree with justjean.
Beautiful portrait!

hildee
04-20-2014, 11:22 AM
For some reason I missed the latest one you popped up before my previous comment, sorry. The eyes are great, so expressive!

BTW I also painted from the photo using the tracing and trace colours function and it looks quite nice but while I enjoy painting that way for fun and also to learn - I feel there is a 'cheating' element there. I wonder what the consensus is on painting using the colours that way. Feedback anyone?

Tracing in AR is a lot different from other programs. It's not cloning. It takes a lot of work but it's so satisfying. It picks up the colours but not easily. I do a rough first then go in for the details, can take hours. So to me it's not cheating because it's all in the handling of the brush as to where the colour goes/stays, the program is not doing it for me like cloning does, and that's not easy. I like a challenge and I'm glad AR has a different way of going about "tracing" :cool: