PDA

View Full Version : Skyrim painting

hildee
04-15-2014, 11:01 PM
Hi all, I've spent an enjoyable afternoon painting my favourite steed in my favourite game, Skyrim, which I'm still playing after a few years.

This is a painting of Shadowmere, the armour is a mod. I'm a little horse mad so forgive me. As you can see I added some preset grasses, mainly used oil brush, palette knife and ink pen, with 8 layers altogether. I used the trace function to pick up the colours. Took me around 6 hours. Original is included. Thanks for looking :)

eighty+
04-15-2014, 11:46 PM
Hildee. As far as I can see its looking good. Ok. It's dark on my IPad ok

Caesar
04-16-2014, 12:34 AM
It's certainly scary and well executed!

gxhpainter2
04-16-2014, 02:21 AM
well done illustrative work, carries great mood and mystery... nicely done.:cool::cool:

justjean
04-16-2014, 03:29 AM
Very nice but dark :)

D Akey
04-16-2014, 04:18 AM
Not bad. Like with Mr Ploos, they're both showing up rather dim on my screen as well.

But it's a neat image. Have to think about the Nazgul somewhat although they were in a different world. They were called The Dark Riders. I guess that means a dark picture as well then. Good fantasy image. Glad you're having so much fun with the game.

pai
04-16-2014, 11:21 AM
Actually it's ok on my screen. Very nice painting indeed. Love that dramatic mood and mystery feel :)

vandra
04-16-2014, 11:36 AM
I just remembered why I haven't been playing SkyRim Hillie, - too scary LOL. I looked at this on my ipad and it is very dark so now looking on my PC and it looks fine. The face of the horse is very dark on my PC but it is on the original too. I can see how it must have taken you 6 hours. Lots of work in there, great result.

hildee
04-16-2014, 02:12 PM
Thanks all for your lovely comments, made my day :D

I was worried about it being dark, but on my pc it's ok - I have an external monitor so it looked fine. I even upped the highlights to test it and decided against it.

Yeah I'm a bit of a fantasy girl. Helps the escapism :cool: Real life kind of gets to me sometimes.

Alexandra
04-16-2014, 10:47 PM
Great work Hildee!

AndreaMG
04-17-2014, 12:02 AM
Scary indeed. Nice job! :cool:

hildee
04-18-2014, 01:45 PM
Thanks so much Alexandra and Andrea! :D

Shezza
04-20-2014, 06:30 AM
Looks fantastic Hildee. Though I am not familiar with the character, it looks like what a moody scary fantasy image should look like, shapely, detailed and very dramatic. Excellent work. :)

hildee
04-20-2014, 11:04 AM
Thanks Sheryl :) Skyrim is one of those games where the gorgeous music kind of lets on something's going to happen. It has that feel, you just never know lol... This was night time of course, day time is a little less intimidating...mebbe ;)

Shezza
04-21-2014, 06:12 AM
Ha I see Hildee...I think! lol. So the music evokes a sort of drama which you can apply into paint?

Slap Happy Larry
04-23-2014, 08:56 AM
Very nice and atmospheric. Interesting that the horse is darker on an ipad. I have two monitors on my pc, a high quality monitor on the Apple Mac and artrage art looks different on all of them. I also find that a graphic can look darker once it's on an ipad, and often have to go back and adjust colours to account for the difference.

I do like scary dark pictures though.

MJSparks
04-23-2014, 11:56 AM
Love Skyrim and I do enjoy playing that game. Endless hours and a great community that constantly adds to and improves upon their game world. A lot of wonderful artists work in that game and add so much to it.

Is that the Brotherhood mare? Or one that comes with the house addon? I can't recall her name, but she's quite feisty and able to handle herself quite well as she walks back to her home. Very good capture of the essence of the steed and your character.

-edit: I realize now that you mentioned which one it was... sorry, I am a scatterbrain at times. At anyrate, excellent work.

I do not see the darkness that the others speak of, except that the left side is a bit darker than the rest of the image. But the colors seem pretty accurate to my computer. I'm fairly close to having accurate color depth and tone without buying a brand new monitor. (it's several years old, but testing and tweaking has made it near perfect for my color tastes.)

hildee
04-23-2014, 05:44 PM
I also find that a graphic can look darker once it's on an ipad,

So it must be the iPad. Interesting. Yes that's the way with online images. I bet everyone on this forum sees every image differently. Thanks for replying, glad you like it :)

Hi Magen, yep that's Shadowmere - I forgot she was from the Brotherhood quest. I actually cheated and brought up the console and put her in there because the Brotherhood quest rather scared me :D So she's been around a long time in my gameplay. I got the armour mod. I played Oblivion years ago and got the fright of my life when something evil appeared to me while I was sleeping - a similar quest, so I reloaded my previous save and didn't sleep lol.

I've got the Whistle Mod too, she even appeared in Solstheim (Dragonborn DLC) a few days ago when I whistled lol , because you can't take her on the boat. You're right, there's a great modding community and terrific that Bethesda allows saves anywhere and has the console available for players to muck around with and "cheat". So much fun.

Thanks so much for your great reply & that you like it :D