PDA

View Full Version : My Best Sea Painting........... Jack.

jacktar51
03-04-2007, 11:57 PM
I think this is one of my best sea paintings......everthing went Okay and I quite like the way it turned out... It was what I was trying to do, It works for me,and I was Reasonably happy with the sea and the ship.... The Sky is a little bit murky perhaps tooooooo much??... I did make it murky on purpose though.... used three different layers to get it like that.... Anyway its the viewer who decides.... hope you like it...... Comments as ever are always appreciated.......Jack.

friendly
03-05-2007, 02:15 AM
agree very good

ENCHANTER
03-05-2007, 02:15 AM
wonderful detail on the waves at the front, and the detail on the ship......
I like the way you dont stick to the 'ordinary' colours of the sea :)

danbo
03-05-2007, 07:18 AM
good water. i find this nice

Fashmir
03-05-2007, 07:37 AM
Hi Jack- I love the continuing nautical theme. I've been doing pirates as part of a project. I might be able to share some of it on the forum, I'll have to check. I have been itching to do a ship scene. This fine example is definitely inspiring. Well done.

maror
03-05-2007, 07:49 AM
a nice "toxic" sea jack... you're pretty good in water drawing!

@FASHMIR... oh yeah i like to see....

greez

Selby
03-05-2007, 04:09 PM
beautiful one...speaks to me of adventure on the high seas

Selby

marian
03-05-2007, 06:49 PM
Great Painting Jack ! Very dramatic and that's something I really like in a painting :!:

Levent Suberk
03-06-2007, 12:42 AM
Very good painting, dear Jacktar.

damasocl
03-06-2007, 09:46 AM
Excelente trabajo, muy bien lograda la textura del mar, felicitaciones, Dámaso desde Chile.- :shock:

jacktar51
03-06-2007, 12:56 PM
friendly.... thank you for looking

Enchanter....Thanks for replying to the post

danbo.......thanks for looking in Danbo.

Fashmir...thanks for looking in david, I appreciate your comments. looking forward to seeing something of your seafaring/pirate stuff,in eager anticipation....Jack.

MAROR... I know your right it does look a bit dodgy in theTOXIC sense, I have seen all those colours in the sea though...perhaps not all at the same time though ...it does look a little OVER done... but then again I claim Artistic Licence immunity..... Jack.

Selby....Thanks for looking in SelbyIf it summons up pictures of pirates and adventure on the high seas..its done its job good....thank you...Jack.

Marian...pleased that you like this one Marian......I did spend quite a bit of time trying....Jack

Levent...thank you for looking at my stuff Levent... Jack.

damasocl.... Thank you for looking at my work.... Jack.

D Akey
03-06-2007, 08:49 PM
Very good water, Jack. I particularly like it in the mid-distance around the ship.

Very cool.

The shapes of the water are quite believable and tell a story.

jacktar51
03-08-2007, 01:44 AM
Mr D Akey...thank you for coming in...It actually took longer to do the sea itself, than it took to do the ship,although both were not rushed the sea looking alright is a bit illusive, and as mr Maror says it looks a bit toxic, but I wanted it to have all the colours of the sea,in one painting, which is a bit improbable...but which I have actually seen in Conwy bay, in Wales from the highest point around there, the road up above the bay,and looking down from a distance,I have never seen such a beautiful sight since in the sea, so many colours...it came out in the painting,but I couldnt seem to capture that little sparkle in the rays of the sun....never mind I will keep trying, and one day I will do a special painting over a few days...and make it a good one..... thanks for looking D ..... Jack.

pai
03-10-2007, 12:51 PM
That sea wave must have taken you long time to draw. Really nice one. I love it. I also like the one named The Last Night. It's amazing you can use different color to interpret the sea.

jacktar51
03-10-2007, 01:35 PM
pai....hello... I am pleased to see you on here,the sea took longer than the ship, but It depends on how much detail you want to put in...I could spend half a day on the sea...or a couple of hours...or an hour,depending how good I want it to be,but if it doesnt look right when I first sketch it, I wont use it...better to simply scrap it and do it again.... Thanks for looking pai....Jack.

Stephen Lo Piano
03-10-2007, 11:22 PM
Very good painting. I look closely at the foreground sea and within the details I notice texture. Is this the result of that tube type paint smeared around with the palette knife or simply layers of paint?

jacktar51
03-11-2007, 01:46 AM
Hi Stephen.. thank you for looking in...normallyI just paint light and dark bars,for the direction of the waves first,this determines which side of the painting the light is coming from...(light bars towards the light obviously)most recently I have been using the crayon and the aibrush to draw the waves..but then you have to export the whole painting in j-peg then import it again ,for the pallette knife and the art pen to have more of an effect, this is becauwse Artrage lacks a Blender at this moment in time.... Andy said that that is on his to do list.......after pushing and smearing to get waves how I want them I go up to size 2048x1536 to do the sea spray,the white foam, with glitter on its smallest size...as you work back to distant stuff I use the pencil on size6 at 100%...laqstly I put in light blue or greeny blue... or bluey green light bits towards the top of the waves, and darker deeper colour for the base of the waves, and the dips, I usually use the airgun on a very low pressure to do that, and build it slow...so you dont make mistakes...thats about it really...hope this helps you... nice to see you on Stephen, you should come on more often.. there are some really good artists on Artrage these days....I am still learning lots from their techniques,aws well as finding loads of new ones in the program, by experimenting.......Jack.

anickyst
03-11-2007, 07:51 AM
I think this is a wonderful painting. I particularly like the colours youve used for the sea and its so cleverly done. I hope I can aspire to this level of brilliance myself in the future, really well done mate.

jacktar51
03-11-2007, 12:05 PM
anickyst.... Thank you for the feedback... and for looking.... Jack.

Stephen Lo Piano
03-11-2007, 07:28 PM
I have been using the crayon and the aibrush to draw the waves..but then you have to export the whole painting in j-peg then import it again ,for the pallette knife and the art pen to have more of an effect.

Jack you passed on some useful information here, have to try this, never crossed my mind. The only thing different is that I would prefer to save in a BMP format. BMP creates a larger size file yet will carry more bits of original colors. BMP is better than JPG for printing hard copies, generally a setting of 300 pixels per inch will produce good results. JPG's are good for sending emails and for web use, reduce size of memory file yet will loose some color bits from compression.

jacktar51
03-12-2007, 02:51 AM
Stphen ... I havent actually tried Exporting in bitmap then importing again, I would think the same thing will happen as with j-peg, try it and see what happens... thanks for that bit of info,I might try saving stuff in BMP and see how that works for me, I expect something will be affected, I'll try it anyway..let you know.... Jack.

ka
03-12-2007, 01:21 PM
hello jack,our pirate is always here,i can hear trh wind....gooood kisska

jacktar51
03-13-2007, 12:35 AM
Ka.....where have you been for so long? nice to have you back posting again, I love your free style ,nice to see you KA, and welcome back....Jack.

ka
03-13-2007, 09:57 AM
nice to see you me too,you know...;life is so strange and ,the time is coming to return in my first virtual house with my friends!!!!! kiss for you ka

waheednasir
03-14-2007, 06:45 AM
i like it jack...nice palette and mood...:).